The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 264 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7891 of 9465 Old 06-17-2014, 06:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
Subwoofer level can be set per input.
I have a Denon X4000. I must be doing it wrong or missing a step. I go to audio, sub woofer lever and change level 1 and level 2. Then when I switch input and check, the levels have changed there as well...

-Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7892 of 9465 Old 06-17-2014, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
x2000 + Spotify on iPad

Hi

Yesterday I installed the first sound system in my life. I got myself a nice pair of Klipsch RF 62 IIs and a Denon X2000 Reciever. Unfortunately I am having issues with the reciever I don't have a TV, so my intent was to use the Denon paired with my iPad, to mainly listen to spotify /internet radio. The issues I am having:
1) When I launch the Denon app on my iPad, it says "connection lost" every 1-2 minutes, then needs to reconnect;
2) I tried playing music from Spotify Premium using AirPlay. Sometimes it plays 5 songs in a row, sometimes it just disconnects Only thing that helped is to turn on/off the Denon and restarting the iPad a few times, then it Works, sometimes drops after a few songs again.

How can I address this issue? Is my router bad and I should get a new one (if yes, tell me which model / brand to go for please)? The Denon is connected with a wire directly to the router. I didn't have Any network issues before on none of my 2 phones, 2 tablets, 3 PCs, all wireless.
Thanks in advance for the replies,
Arturs
post #7893 of 9465 Old 06-17-2014, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1129 Post(s)
Liked: 1576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disto View Post
I have a Denon X4000. I must be doing it wrong or missing a step. I go to audio, sub woofer lever and change level 1 and level 2. Then when I switch input and check, the levels have changed there as well...
I think JD must be confused or thinking of the newer models which have changed the way ch level adjustments work. The 2013 models (like nearly all Denons historically) memorize channel level adjustments based on surround mode "family". So you can have a different setting for Stereo vs Dolby/DTS Multich modes.
ferl likes this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #7894 of 9465 Old 06-17-2014, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I have the exact same thing with my X4000. Match 2 subs to 75db and after calibration, the subs are set to -6.5 and -7.0. When I go to the speaker levels, it is very low, however, when you crank up the level, I can here them. When I watch a Blu-Ray movie with HD audio, there is plenty of base. When I watch network TV with plain DD 5.1 I always want to turn up the base. I wish there was an easy way to turn the base up and down.
What volume level do you use when you watch BluRay? And network TV DD 5.1? Is it the same with a DVD DD 5.1?

How about Audyssey Dynamiq EQ digital loudness, do you use that?

Not all content is mixed at reference level.
post #7895 of 9465 Old 06-17-2014, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archijs View Post
Hi

The issues I am having:
1) When I launch the Denon app on my iPad, it says "connection lost" every 1-2 minutes, then needs to reconnect;

I didn't have Any network issues before on none of my 2 phones, 2 tablets, 3 PCs, all wireless.
Arturs
If all the other wireless gear is stable, I would drill down in the "Settings" menu of the iPad all the way to "Reset Network" and do that. We have run across 3 or 4 iPads whose network configuration needs to be reset every now and then.

--Dan in St. Louis

---- Dan in Saint Louis
post #7896 of 9465 Old 06-17-2014, 10:31 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1867 Post(s)
Liked: 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_sd View Post
yes, I will look into this. One interesting thing is that SVS recommends to leave the Audyssey levels (i.e. at -6) and instead adjust the volume at the sub.
It actually doesn't matter where you make the adjustment as long as you don't go much above 0db (to avoid clipping); however, unless there is a digital gain on the sub, it's much easier to make the adjustment using the digital setting on the AVR so you know exactly how much has been adjusted as well as so you can more easily return to the original setting which would be much more difficult using an analog gain knob on the sub.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #7897 of 9465 Old 06-17-2014, 10:39 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
I think JD must be confused or thinking of the newer models which have changed the way ch level adjustments work. The 2013 models (like nearly all Denons historically) memorize channel level adjustments based on surround mode "family". So you can have a different setting for Stereo vs Dolby/DTS Multich modes.

Oops! Yup ... got me. Paying attention to wrong series. However the OP can still take advantage of separate subwoofer settings in some situations.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 06-17-2014 at 10:41 AM.
post #7898 of 9465 Old 06-17-2014, 10:43 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Keep in mind by setting per surround mode, you can set the one source (eg. BDP) to PCM vice bitstream and another surround mode is introduced.

post #7899 of 9465 Old 06-17-2014, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I just posted this in the 2014 thread by mistake.

I have a question about sound modes on my X1000. I was just having a read of the manual because I think I've been listening to the wrong sound mode and I'm still confused.

I've been watching various blu-rays (Black Hawk Down, Cloverfield, LOTR FOTR EE, Lone Survivor, Transformers Dark Side of the Moon) on my Sony BDP-S3200 hooked up to my receiver via HDMI but what displays on my receiver has been DTS HD MA, DTS, Dolby D and PLII Cinema. What am I doing wrong?

For the most part it's been displaying the latter 3 instead of of DTS HD MA or Dolby HD.

FYI I've been using Movie sound mode but I'm just now realizing there's multiple formats within Movie. Should I use Pure or something else?
post #7900 of 9465 Old 06-17-2014, 12:11 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Not all BDs default to the HD audio track so if you're only seeing DD or DTS, more than likely you need to select the HD audio track on the BD. You generally will not want to use PURE or DIRECT as doing so will disengage Audyssey and bass management.

post #7901 of 9465 Old 06-17-2014, 12:27 PM

I wish that were the case but unfortunately it's not. I have been going to Audio in the blu-ray menu to select the HD track but so far they have been defaulting to HD, I've also cycled through the audio tracks using the remote while the blu-ray is playing and still only showing DTS or Dolby D.

Take for instance right now I'm watching FOTR blu-ray, which according to my player is playing audio track 1: ENGLISH DTS-HD Master Audio ES 6.1 Discrete 6.1ch 48kHz ~4.4-4.9Mbps but my receiver is only showing DTS.

When I click and hold Movie (sound mode) on my Denon remote it shows the following options:
Stereo
DTS surround
Multi ch Stereo
Mono Movie
Virtual

I've selected DTS surround.
post #7902 of 9465 Old 06-17-2014, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1129 Post(s)
Liked: 1576
Push the info button on the Denon remote and see what it's reporting as the input signal. The receiver can only play what it gets so if it says it's receiving standard DTS and not DTS-MA then that's what it's getting, and the problem is likely upstream in the player.
post #7903 of 9465 Old 06-17-2014, 03:44 PM

Pressed info on my Denon and it showed:
Source: Blu-ray
Sound: DTS surround
Signal: DTS

I have no idea why I'm not getting any HD signals from my new Blu-ray player because when I press the Display button on my Blu-ray remote it indicates DTS HD MA audio track.

I'll try playing some discs on my PS3 and see if it shows DTS HD MA or TrueHD.
post #7904 of 9465 Old 06-17-2014, 03:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatupdet View Post
Pressed info on my Denon and it showed:
Source: Blu-ray
Sound: DTS surround
Signal: DTS

I have no idea why I'm not getting any HD signals from my new Blu-ray player because when I press the Display button on my Blu-ray remote it indicates DTS HD MA audio track.

I'll try playing some discs on my PS3 and see if it shows DTS HD MA or TrueHD.
Also make sure the BD Mix setting in your player is set to Off.
post #7905 of 9465 Old 06-17-2014, 04:43 PM

Awesome that seems to have done it, thanks. I threw in Dark Knight Rises and now my receiver is showing DTS-HD MA, time to try a TrueHD blu-ray.

Thanks again for the help.
post #7906 of 9465 Old 06-17-2014, 05:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatupdet View Post
Awesome that seems to have done it, thanks. I threw in Dark Knight Rises and now my receiver is showing DTS-HD MA, time to try a TrueHD blu-ray.

Thanks again for the help.
Great. It blows my mind that Sony's default setting kills HD audio, but it's been that way as long as I can remember. I have had to change that setting on every Sony I've had since the dawn of blu-ray.
post #7907 of 9465 Old 06-17-2014, 05:15 PM

I had to read the manual to see what BD mix was and yes I agree with you that's it ridiculous how it's the default setting.
post #7908 of 9465 Old 06-17-2014, 10:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear

So I bought some wireless headphones for night time viewing and I wanted to listen to any device I have hooked up to my Denon X4000. ( mainly cable tv, ps3 and xbox 360 )

I tried looking around for a stereo out connection on the x4000 to hook up the wireless headphones but couldn't find anything. How do I do this?

Zone 2/3 outputs do the trick? If I enable one of the zones and connect the stereo cable to it? Would it work for any source connected to the Denon then?

If you use the Zone 2 pre-outs and set HDMI Audio (p. 194 OM) to PCM, this should work.

And what about digital wireless headphones. How would I connect those to the Denon? I didn't see a SPDIF out either on the back of the x4000

There is no optical output so you would need to use analog --> digital optical converter from the Zone 2 pre-outs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA0U00D18035

Hey JD

I tried using zone 2 out and switched everything in the menu like you said and that went fine but no audio was coming through. So, I connected the receiver directly to the cable box and that worked. I also tried turning zone 2 off and on using the remote but that didn't help.

Is my Denon busted?
post #7909 of 9465 Old 06-18-2014, 03:28 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in St. Louis View Post
If all the other wireless gear is stable, I would drill down in the "Settings" menu of the iPad all the way to "Reset Network" and do that. We have run across 3 or 4 iPads whose network configuration needs to be reset every now and then.

--Dan in St. Louis
Hi Dan, thanks for the reply. I reset the settings on the iPad, same thing.
Also I tried playing internet radio this morning, and about 10-15minutes in it froze and the reciever said "connecting" again. I tried spotify through airplay, it played around half a song and then stopped

The network output is 150mbps, with pings of around 25 usually, so i doubt its the network. So my guess its either the router (doubt it, it usually can stream pretty much everything with no hickups to PCs), or the X2000. So, Any idea on how can I check if the reciever is glitching?

Arturs
post #7910 of 9465 Old 06-18-2014, 03:47 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post
Hey JD

I tried using zone 2 out and switched everything in the menu like you said and that went fine but no audio was coming through. So, I connected the receiver directly to the cable box and that worked. I also tried turning zone 2 off and on using the remote but that didn't help.

Is my Denon busted?
Not sure why it would not work if you have the setting correct, although you can also simply connect a set of analog cables from the cable box to the AVR using the same source name as is used by the HDMI cable and that will work as well.

post #7911 of 9465 Old 06-18-2014, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just a quick thank you to the frequent posters in here, last night the USB port on my avr-x2000 quit working. Did a soft reset as has been suggested dozens of times in here and it worked right away. Back in business!
post #7912 of 9465 Old 06-18-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Any idea on how can I check if the reciever is glitching?
If the rest of your computing equipment is still operating at peak speed it is unlikely to be your LAN.

We have seen various issues with network streams to the Denon receivers. The generic "fix" seems to be turn it off, pull the (AC power) plug, have a cup of coffee and plug it back it.

One Denon guru in Europe says heat is an issue for him, another user has said that powering down while a network stream is being played can do it.

--Dan in St. Louis

---- Dan in Saint Louis
post #7913 of 9465 Old 06-18-2014, 10:44 AM

Last Read Message?

Has anyone discovered a magic link for our bookmarks and tool bars that takes us to our "last read message"?

Thanks!

--Dan in St. Louis

---- Dan in Saint Louis
post #7914 of 9465 Old 06-18-2014, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Has anyone discovered a magic link for our bookmarks and tool bars that takes us to our "last read message"?

Thanks!

--Dan in St. Louis
The small arrow next to the forum topic.
post #7915 of 9465 Old 06-18-2014, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:

Thanks!

--Dan in St. Louis
I typically click on the permalink post number at the upper right-hand corner of the last post I've read in a thread that I want bookmarked (e.g., for this post, it's "post #7915 of 7915), then save/overwrite that URL to the folder where I'm keeping that particular bookmark. It requires a couple of steps but keeps all my AVSForum thread bookmarks current.

Last edited by chi_guy50; 06-18-2014 at 11:32 AM.
post #7916 of 9465 Old 06-18-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuentinH View Post
The small arrow next to the forum topic.
Aha! I think I see now. That arrow was mentioned earlier but I could never find it. You have to go all the way back to http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...ps-processors/ instead of directly to this thread.

For those who would like to try it, the direct link to that feature (for this thread) is http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...-new-post.html.

It's most likely the actual last message, not quite the last un-read, but that may be as close as this software can come.

Probably better to use one of the URL-shortening services for that, but I can't post the name here. Thanks!

--Dan in St. Louis

---- Dan in Saint Louis

Last edited by Dan in St. Louis; 06-18-2014 at 11:34 AM.
post #7917 of 9465 Old 06-18-2014, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Hi

Yesterday I installed the first sound system in my life. I got myself a nice pair of Klipsch RF 62 IIs and a Denon X2000 Reciever. Unfortunately I am having issues with the reciever I don't have a TV, so my intent was to use the Denon paired with my iPad, to mainly listen to spotify /internet radio. The issues I am having:
2) I tried playing music from Spotify Premium using AirPlay. Sometimes it plays 5 songs in a row, sometimes it just disconnects Only thing that helped is to turn on/off the Denon and restarting the iPad a few times, then it Works, sometimes drops after a few songs again.

How can I address this issue? Is my router bad and I should get a new one (if yes, tell me which model / brand to go for please)? The Denon is connected with a wire directly to the router. I didn't have Any network issues before on none of my 2 phones, 2 tablets, 3 PCs, all wireless.
Arturs
I recently got a Denon X2000 and we use iPhones and iPads to Airplay Spotify. We are using the official Spotify app, not the Denon version.

I have had very limited drops of a sound for a second or two once in a great while. I would say that is probably best case scenario where I am depending on the wireless connection to the iPhone (I assume). I am hardlined to a switch that is hardlined to another switch that connects to my Airport Extreme that is connected to my cable modem.

I don't have issues streaming video files at 40-50MB/s so I don't expect Spotify would choke up the path.

Not sure where the issue is, but chiming in for a data point.

Last edited by Darknyt; 06-18-2014 at 04:12 PM.
post #7918 of 9465 Old 06-18-2014, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambler FEX online View Post
What volume level do you use when you watch BluRay? And network TV DD 5.1? Is it the same with a DVD DD 5.1?

How about Audyssey Dynamiq EQ digital loudness, do you use that?

Not all content is mixed at reference level.
There is no set level for me. I usually set it loud but not too loud, in the -20 to -10db range. I have Audyssey Dynamic EQ always on. It seems to work well. I have tried different reference levels, but as you say not all content is mixed at reference level so I gave up on that and left it at 0db. I think Dynamic Volume is terrible and always leave it off. It changes the balance of the surrounds too much. However, I did find something. I have a Harmony 520, and in one of the pages of the X4000 device, there are base up/base down buttons. I am almost there. It only controls sub #1 . In the levels setting there is a sub 1 level, sub 2 level and a both subs level control. Now, all I have to do is find/request a "both subs level" ( if it exists ) mod on the harmony.
cw5billwade likes this.

-Tony
post #7919 of 9465 Old 06-18-2014, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Not sure why it would not work if you have the setting correct, although you can also simply connect a set of analog cables from the cable box to the AVR using the same source name as is used by the HDMI cable and that will work as well.
I havvent run any firmware updates on the Denon X4000....its factory software soo far. Could this be why?
post #7920 of 9465 Old 06-18-2014, 06:33 PM
585-645-1006

^^
It's an out of the box feature.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , dolby digital plus , netflix 5.1
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page