The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 265 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7921 of 8911 Old 06-18-2014, 11:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
It's an out of the box feature.
Damn....now im starting to worry I have a busted X4000.

Ill type the changes I made on the Zone 2 setup screen.

Channel : Stereo ( was at Mono, I changed it to stereo )
HDMI Audio: PCM ( changed from Through )

Everything else is stock settings

Update:

So I used a rca to 3.5 out adapter and connected the rca cables from Zone 2 to a pair of headphones and I still got nothing. I swapped the cables over to the cable box and got audio to the headphones. So it isn't the rca cables or the headphones
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7922 of 8911 Old 06-19-2014, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in St. Louis View Post
If the rest of your computing equipment is still operating at peak speed it is unlikely to be your LAN.

We have seen various issues with network streams to the Denon receivers. The generic "fix" seems to be turn it off, pull the (AC power) plug, have a cup of coffee and plug it back it.

One Denon guru in Europe says heat is an issue for him, another user has said that powering down while a network stream is being played can do it.

--Dan in St. Louis
Well, I tried everything - microchip reset, network reset, firmware update, plugging in the x2000 directly into the router. The problem persits when I even try to play from the USB So its 2 variants - either my particular Denon is crap. Or denon + all the modern thingies (airplay / usb / spotify) is crap. i still have a week to return it, maybe i should do that
post #7923 of 8911 Old 06-19-2014, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknyt View Post
I recently got a Denon X2000 and we use iPhones and iPads to Airplay Spotify. We are using the official Spotify app, not the Denon version.

I have had very limited drops of a sound for a second or two once in a great while. I would say that is probably best case scenario where I am depending on the wireless connection to the iPhone (I assume). I am hardlined to a switch that is hardlined to another switch that connects to my Airport Extreme that is connected to my cable modem.

I don't have issues streaming video files at 40-50MB/s so I don't expect Spotify would choke up the path.

Not sure where the issue is, but chiming in for a data point.
Hi, the freezing occours not only for networked stuff it seems - it happens for Spotify, internet radio, and even USB. I havent been able to properly launch spotify on the x2000, sometimes it works through airplay, maybe 5-7 songs in a row if im lucky
post #7924 of 8911 Old 06-19-2014, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 352
I have a lowly E400 and am trying to understand listening modes and related bass management. First, is there any Audyssey bass management on the E400 at all (is that part of "dynamic EQ")? Is this bypassed when running in Direct mode? If I choose LFE+Main, have I bypassed Audyssey? Second, roughly what do the Movie and Game modes do? I can see that Music mode forces stereo, but the other two sound pretty much the same to me. Does Movie boost the center a bit and Game boost the surrounds a bit?

My goal is to pick the most appropriate mode that still lets Audyssey do its thing but without drastically changing the balance. Seems like Movie is way too center heavy. I like Direct, but am I bypassing Audyssey altogether in that case?

Sorry if this has already been covered.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mdavej; 06-19-2014 at 07:52 AM.
post #7925 of 8911 Old 06-19-2014, 08:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 38
streaming music through an iPhone to the X2000

Is there anyway to stream Pandora or Amazon Prime or other music from an iPhone to the X2000 that utilizes the USB/Lightning connection between the X2000 and iPhone rather than the iPhone headphone jack to analog audio inputs on the X2000?

For example, I have the Amazon Prime app on my iPhone that lets me either stream music via an internet connection or download music to play without a connection, but neither seems to be able to be played through the X2000.

Assistance appreciated!
post #7926 of 8911 Old 06-19-2014, 09:15 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1011 Post(s)
Liked: 1505
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
I have a lowly E400 and am trying to understand listening modes and related bass management. First, is there any Audyssey bass management on the E400 at all (is that part of "dynamic EQ")? Is this bypassed when running in Direct mode? If I choose LFE+Main, have I bypassed Audyssey? Second, roughly what do the Movie and Game modes do? I can see that Music mode forces stereo, but the other two sound pretty much the same to me. Does Movie boost the center a bit and Game boost the surrounds a bit?

My goal is to pick the most appropriate mode that still lets Audyssey do its thing but without drastically changing the balance. Seems like Movie is way too center heavy. I like Direct, but am I bypassing Audyssey altogether in that case?

Sorry if this has already been covered.
Every Denon model uses bass management when not in DIRECT or PURE DIRECT modes, both of which also disengage Audyssey. Choosing LFE+Main simply doubles the bass the sub receives regardless of whether using Audyssey or not. Movie modes focus on the center, Music modes focus on the FL/FR (although does not "force stereo"), and Game mode focuses on the SL/SR.
Disto, Kazz063 and cw5billwade like this.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #7927 of 8911 Old 06-19-2014, 09:45 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post

Update:

So I used a rca to 3.5 out adapter and connected the rca cables from Zone 2 to a pair of headphones and I still got nothing. I swapped the cables over to the cable box and got audio to the headphones. So it isn't the rca cables or the headphones
When working correctly, the X4000 will signal the source to pass PCM 2.0 which will be simulated to 5.1 in the main zone (using DD PLII or DTS Neo: X) and be converted to analog 2.0 to pass through to Zone 2.

"JD" –

post #7928 of 8911 Old 06-19-2014, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need help with X3000 networking issue. I've searched the forum, but don't see any troubleshooting tips. About 1 week ago network feature began to fail. Attempting to connect to a 3TB WD MyCloud drive on the home network. Unit recognizes the drive, but once I attempt to connect, X3000 reboots. Same occurs when attempting to connect to Pandora. Unit has worked flawlessly since September and use of network connection has been frequent and uneventful. Connection is Ethernet via switch. Have not yet attempted a hard reset of unit. Suggestions?

Thanks - SD
post #7929 of 8911 Old 06-19-2014, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Update:

Quote:
When working correctly, the X4000 will signal the source to pass PCM 2.0 which will be simulated to 5.1 in the main zone (using DD PLII or DTS Neo: X) and be converted to analog 2.0 to pass through to Zone 2.

Did I make the correct changes?
post #7930 of 8911 Old 06-19-2014, 02:23 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Did you set Zone 2 to ON? Other than that, the only other setting is the HDMI (Zone 2) to PCM when using the Zone 2 pre-outs. Have you tried checking whether the Zone 2 speaker posts will work by just switching a set of speakers to Zone 2 and setting AMP ASSIGN to 5.1/Zone 2, not that that helps with your wireless headphone, but at least confirms if the issue presents with the speaker posts as well.

"JD" –

post #7931 of 8911 Old 06-19-2014, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 352
... and have you actually picked a source?

post #7932 of 8911 Old 06-19-2014, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Hey folks, I have ordered an x4000 to drive my theater and it should arrive on Monday. I currently use a 4810 but I have moved to a new house where I have a dedicated theater and a separate family room system, so the 4810 is going to the family room as I want the 3D support in the theater. I've never bothered with multi-zone setups before, and I have a question regarding it and I'm looking for some input on how to best use it.

So here's my situation. I'm a Verizon FiOS customer and I live alone, so I'm trying to avoid paying all their exorbitant fees for a multi-room setup but I want to have the DVR accessible in both locations. I'm considering Monoprice's HD-BaseT products to provide an HDMI feed from the theater to the family room, which also allows passing of IR. My question is will the zone 2 HDMI output from the x4000 work well for this, or should I consider a 4x2 matrix switcher from Monoprice? The reason I'm concerned about using the x4000 for this is that I know the 4810 runs hot whenever it's on, and thus is using a lot of power, regardless of what it's doing. And something like that seems overkill just for routing an HDMI signal. So when the x4000 is turned on just for access to zone 2 how does it run? Is it in a reduced power state that doesn't fire up all it's processing thus wasting power and generating a lot of heat? Anybody have any experience using the zone 2 HDMI output?

Download my IR hex codes for the Denon AVR-4810ci and other Denon receivers
For Logitech Harmony support, ask Logitech for the Denon receiver in the account kmickunas.

post #7933 of 8911 Old 06-19-2014, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Over the last week, I started to notice a POP from the speakers as the x4000 is powered down. Until now, there was only a click from within the AVR. And a couple of times while the unit was powered up but not actually playing any source, I heard some quiet static from the speakers.

After not using the AVR for a few days, yesterday it went into protection mode (fast red flashing) within a couple of minutes after I turned the unit on. Clearly this wasn't from overheating. I do not have 4 ohm speakers, and it wasn't playing loud. So I checked to make sure there were no loose speaker wires shorting any of the contacts, unplugged and replugged all of the sources (HDMI), and turned on the AVR again. The same thing happened a couple more times.

Then, after keeping it on long enough to save a config file (which wasn't full of zeroes), I did a microprocessor reset and reloaded the config file. Since then the problem hasn't occurred again.

So am I right in assuming that if this happens again, the unit should go to Denon service for repair? I bought it from AV Science late last year, so it's still under warranty.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #7934 of 8911 Old 06-19-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niccolo View Post
Is there anyway to stream Pandora or Amazon Prime or other music from an iPhone to the X2000 that utilizes the USB/Lightning connection between the X2000 and iPhone rather than the iPhone headphone jack to analog audio inputs on the X2000?

For example, I have the Amazon Prime app on my iPhone that lets me either stream music via an internet connection or download music to play without a connection, but neither seems to be able to be played through the X2000.

Assistance appreciated!
This is a fast-moving thread so sometimes stuff gets buried; would still welcome any thoughts, I think this is a pretty straightforward question (though I haven't been able to find any answers via searches).
post #7935 of 8911 Old 06-19-2014, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
This is a fast-moving thread so sometimes stuff gets buried; would still welcome any thoughts, I think this is a pretty straightforward question (though I haven't been able to find any answers via searches).
Well I'm not an expert on these units, but as I recall Apple locked down the OS on their ipods and other products to keep the digital stream from going out unless it was to authorized devices. Now they may have undone that, but if you are running into an issue getting digital music out of the USB connection that may be the cause.

Download my IR hex codes for the Denon AVR-4810ci and other Denon receivers
For Logitech Harmony support, ask Logitech for the Denon receiver in the account kmickunas.

post #7936 of 8911 Old 06-19-2014, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Hi niccolo, I can stream Amazon Prime Music from iPhone via Airplay to X4000 and to ATV3.
post #7937 of 8911 Old 06-19-2014, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Did I make the correct changes?
Quote:
^^
Did you set Zone 2 to ON? Other than that, the only other setting is the HDMI (Zone 2) to PCM when using the Zone 2 pre-outs. Have you tried checking whether the Zone 2 speaker posts will work by just switching a set of speakers to Zone 2 and setting AMP ASSIGN to 5.1/Zone 2, not that that helps with your wireless headphone, but at least confirms if the issue presents with the speaker posts as well.

Alright, I don't know how this worked but I tried your suggestion and connected the FL speaker cable to the SurroundBack/Amp Assign speaker post and switched to Zone 2 and up'd the volume and voila....the audio light on the wireless headphone receiver lit up and I got sound to the headphones as well as sound to the FL speaker. Soo bizzare....Im glad it worked and is still working. I was seconds away from doing a processor reset and having to do a complete audyssey calib again ( ugh )

Thanks JD. I don't know what happened but zone 2 audio works and im not changing anything lest I think my receiver is busted again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
... and have you actually picked a source?
Assuming you were replying to me, Yes, I did select a source. First I selected SOURCE for the audio to Zone 2 and then I selected Media Player ( which is what my apple tv is connected to ) and that didn't work. Everything works now after I connected the speker cable tot he zone 2 speaker post. I don't get it....I ws really stumped at this.

Oh well, all is well now. Im glad it works. Whewwwww....
post #7938 of 8911 Old 06-19-2014, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member

Sh*t.....the headphones just went silent

Everything is functioning the same. I didn't touch anything. It just went blank by itself....ITunes on my computer is still playing and sending the song to the apple tv via my wifi

Wifi is still good. I have a wireless camera setup in a room in my house and I can still get the stream from the room over the wifi so its not the wifi
post #7939 of 8911 Old 06-19-2014, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Switched the audio back to the computer from the Apple TV and back again to the Apple TV and voila....audio is back on the wireless headphones.

I really hate technology.

Update:

Audio disconnected again. Nothing was touched. So to troubleshoot I swapped sources, put the cable tv on the headphones and the iTunes airplay on the two channel speakers and waited for the album on iTunes to cut out on the main front speakers....but it didn't. The cable tv audio did. No audio from the cable box but audio is still coming from the iTunes airplay connection. Up-ing the volume on Zone 2 nearly to max volume brings back the audio to the wireless headphones

So its not the wireless headphones. Its not the wifi connection. Or iTunes airplay. The speaker post for amp assign works and passes audio thru to the speakers via speaker wire. But zone 2 out keeps cutting out randomly.

Guys, whatss going on here? Why is my Denon X4000 acting like this? I have a USB fan cooling the receiver so its not like its heating up and destroying components inside

Last edited by music_to_my_ear; 06-19-2014 at 09:29 PM.
post #7940 of 8911 Old 06-20-2014, 12:58 AM

Update on my situation from the posts before - my x2000 was glitching when playing music from the network (spotify / airplay / internet radio) and USB - sometimes it played a few songs, then stopped, showed please wait, then connecting, then assigning. I did the network reset, microprocessor reset, router reset and eventually skipped the router and plugged it directly into a modem, nothing helped. I returned it to the store, requesting Money back. Now have a week to figure out which to go next for.
post #7941 of 8911 Old 06-20-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Every Denon model uses bass management when not in DIRECT or PURE DIRECT modes, both of which also disengage Audyssey. Choosing LFE+Main simply doubles the bass the sub receives regardless of whether using Audyssey or not. Movie modes focus on the center, Music modes focus on the FL/FR (although does not "force stereo"), and Game mode focuses on the SL/SR.
I have been following this thread form the start and that is the best description I have seen yet and needs to be put in the first 3 posts where it is appropriate.

Last edited by cw5billwade; 06-20-2014 at 11:38 AM.
post #7942 of 8911 Old 06-20-2014, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade View Post
I have been following this thread form the start and that isthe best description I have seen yet and needs to be put in the first 3 postwhere it is appropriate.
+1

post #7943 of 8911 Old 06-20-2014, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Yes, very good explanation! Could you perhaps expand on the word focus. Maybe in terms of volume or balance. It would be great to get a list going describing differences between modes. I can start. I did notice a difference in one particular mode. In a DD 5.1 (I have 7.1 with back speakers) source, using NEO:X Cinema and NEO:X Music. A mono surround sound (same sound coming from both surrounds) appears only from the back speakers in the Cinema mode but all 4 surrounds in the Music mode.

-Tony
post #7944 of 8911 Old 06-20-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Mickunas View Post
Well I'm not an expert on these units, but as I recall Apple locked down the OS on their ipods and other products to keep the digital stream from going out unless it was to authorized devices. Now they may have undone that, but if you are running into an issue getting digital music out of the USB connection that may be the cause.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post
Hi niccolo, I can stream Amazon Prime Music from iPhone via Airplay to X4000 and to ATV3.
Thanks both! I think you're right, Apple doesn't allow digital content to be streamed over the USB connection. Just set up Airplay, and it seems to work well, with the caveat that I've had one dropout in the first few minutes so far. My impression is Airplay is high-bandwidth using lossless compression, and certainly subjectively it sounds good so far.
post #7945 of 8911 Old 06-20-2014, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Is it possible to rack-mount the AVR-X4000?

I've seen rack mount ears for different Denon receivers but I can't find any specifically for the X4000...
post #7946 of 8911 Old 06-20-2014, 06:47 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Yup ... same one that works with the 3313CI and 2313CI ....

http://www.adorama.com/CCRMR3313.html

"JD" –

post #7947 of 8911 Old 06-20-2014, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Fantastic, thanks!
post #7948 of 8911 Old 06-20-2014, 10:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Alright, I don't know how this worked but I tried your suggestion and connected the FL speaker cable to the SurroundBack/Amp Assign speaker post and switched to Zone 2 and up'd the volume and voila....the audio light on the wireless headphone receiver lit up and I got sound to the headphones as well as sound to the FL speaker. Soo bizzare....Im glad it worked and is still working. I was seconds away from doing a processor reset and having to do a complete audyssey calib again ( ugh )

Thanks JD. I don't know what happened but zone 2 audio works and im not changing anything lest I think my receiver is busted again.

Assuming you were replying to me, Yes, I did select a source. First I selected SOURCE for the audio to Zone 2 and then I selected Media Player ( which is what my apple tv is connected to ) and that didn't work. Everything works now after I connected the speker cable tot he zone 2 speaker post. I don't get it....I ws really stumped at this.

Oh well, all is well now. Im glad it works. Whewwwww....
Quote:
Sh*t.....the headphones just went silent

Everything is functioning the same. I didn't touch anything. It just went blank by itself....ITunes on my computer is still playing and sending the song to the apple tv via my wifi

Wifi is still good. I have a wireless camera setup in a room in my house and I can still get the stream from the room over the wifi so its not the wifi
Quote:
Switched the audio back to the computer from the Apple TV and back again to the Apple TV and voila....audio is back on the wireless headphones.

I really hate technology.

Update:

Audio disconnected again. Nothing was touched. So to troubleshoot I swapped sources, put the cable tv on the headphones and the iTunes airplay on the two channel speakers and waited for the album on iTunes to cut out on the main front speakers....but it didn't. The cable tv audio did. No audio from the cable box but audio is still coming from the iTunes airplay connection. Up-ing the volume on Zone 2 nearly to max volume brings back the audio to the wireless headphones

So its not the wireless headphones. Its not the wifi connection. Or iTunes airplay. The speaker post for amp assign works and passes audio thru to the speakers via speaker wire. But zone 2 out keeps cutting out randomly.

Guys, whatss going on here? Why is my Denon X4000 acting like this? I have a USB fan cooling the receiver so its not like its heating up and destroying components inside
Anyone know whats happening? JD?
post #7949 of 8911 Old 06-21-2014, 05:20 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Have you tried a "soft" reset by unplugging the unit for 10 minutes and if still no joy, a microprocessor reset?

"JD" –

post #7950 of 8911 Old 06-21-2014, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
^^
Have you tried a "soft" reset by unplugging the unit for 10 minutes and if still no joy, a microprocessor reset?

I figured it out last night after I posted that. I have to turn the volume up atleast to -10 db otherwise the audio will drop out.

I don't know why the volume on zone 2 needs to be that high cuz I had it on -20 to -25 db before which is why it kept cutting out. It works now. Both zones. Speakers posts and rca outs without audio dropouts

Problem solved and im a happy owner!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2309ci Receiver , Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Denon , Denon Electronics , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Denon Avr E200 , Denon Avr E300 , Denon Avr E400 , Denon Avr X2000 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X3000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X1000 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page