The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 266 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7951 of 8919 Old 06-21-2014, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
Have you tried a "soft" reset by unplugging the unit for 10 minutes and if still no joy, a microprocessor reset?

I figured it out last night after I posted that. I have to turn the volume up atleast to -10 db otherwise the audio will drop out.

I don't know why the volume on zone 2 needs to be that high cuz I had it on -20 to -25 db before which is why it kept cutting out. It works now. Both zones. Speakers posts and rca outs without audio dropouts

Problem solved and im a happy owner!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7952 of 8919 Old 06-21-2014, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone, first post here. I'm having issues with my new x2000. Right now I have my tivo box and Blu-ray player hooked up to it and am running Cambridge Audio s70 towers and a s50 center channel with no surround speakers or sub currently. The problem I'm having is that no matter what source in listening to about every 10 seconds or so the sound level will drop out then immediately come back. I've tried doing a soft reset, checked all speaker connections (using banana plugs), and checked the hdmi connections. I'm not sure what else to try. I don't think the issue is with any of my sources because it does the same thing just listening to the tuner. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
post #7953 of 8919 Old 06-21-2014, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiers007 View Post
Hey everyone, first post here. I'm having issues with my new x2000. Right now I have my tivo box and Blu-ray player hooked up to it and am running Cambridge Audio s70 towers and a s50 center channel with no surround speakers or sub currently. The problem I'm having is that no matter what source in listening to about every 10 seconds or so the sound level will drop out then immediately come back. I've tried doing a soft reset, checked all speaker connections (using banana plugs), and checked the hdmi connections. I'm not sure what else to try. I don't think the issue is with any of my sources because it does the same thing just listening to the tuner. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Overheating? Maybe an issue with the speaker posts on the speakers or the crossover inside the towers/center speaker? Try using the cables with banana plugs?
post #7954 of 8919 Old 06-21-2014, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
^^
Have you tried a "soft" reset by unplugging the unit for 10 minutes and if still no joy, a microprocessor reset?
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post
I figured it out last night after I posted that. I have to turn the volume up atleast to -10 db otherwise the audio will drop out.

I don't know why the volume on zone 2 needs to be that high cuz I had it on -20 to -25 db before which is why it kept cutting out. It works now. Both zones. Speakers posts and rca outs without audio dropouts

Problem solved and im a happy owner!

JD, is this normal to do for Zone 2/3 setups? The volume has to be turned up in order to maintain the signal otherwise the audio will drop off?
post #7955 of 8919 Old 06-21-2014, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Also what does "Diag. Norm offset -1 " mean? It shows up on the display when the receiver boots up. Consequence of audysseey calib?
post #7956 of 8919 Old 06-21-2014, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Overheating? Maybe an issue with the speaker posts on the speakers or the crossover inside the towers/center speaker? Try using the cables with banana plugs?
Don't think our was due to overheating since the unit was only on for a couple minutes, also I am using banana plugs already.

Either way I ended up doing a microprocessor reset and redid the entire configuration. Thankfully this fixed the problem and now it sounds awesome! Thanks.

post #7957 of 8919 Old 06-21-2014, 06:07 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1051 Post(s)
Liked: 1510
Quote:
JD, is this normal to do for Zone 2/3 setups? The volume has to be turned up in order to maintain the signal otherwise the audio will drop off?
Nope.

Quote:
Also what does "Diag. Norm offset -1 " mean? It shows up on the display when the receiver boots up. Consequence of audysseey calib?
Nope. Embedded within DD/DTS audio tracks.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	130058  
music_to_my_ear likes this.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #7958 of 8919 Old 06-21-2014, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Nope.

What do you think is causing this?

Is the X4000 defective?
post #7959 of 8919 Old 06-22-2014, 04:22 AM
585-645-1006

^^
More than likely an issue with your headphone's wireless transmitter.

"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

post #7960 of 8919 Old 06-22-2014, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
[QUOTE=music_to_my_ear;25160322]What do you think is causing this?

I agree with jdsmoothie that the wireless headphones are probably responsible for audio loss via Zone 2/3 preouts if the volume is set too low. My Sennheiser RS130 wireless headphones require the volume input to the headphones to be higher than a set threshold or the headphones will turn off after three minutes. This is a feature to save battery life when there is no sound input.

From the RS130 manual:

Turn on the sound source. This automatically activates the
transmitter and the green LED “ON/OFF” lights up. If the sound
source is turned off, the transmitter is automatically deactivated
after approx. 3 minutes (the LED “ON/OFF” goes off).
Note: The automatic level control only functions if the volume of the
sound source is sufficient.
post #7961 of 8919 Old 06-22-2014, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Help needed with ZONE 2 playback, Denon x4000

I'm trying to hook up a headphone amplifier to ZONE 2 for the use of someone hearing impaired who will be visiting. He will be watching only cable TV. I can't get any sound from ZONE 2 no matter what I have tried.

My source is a cable TV box with HDMI output to the x4000. It doesn't matter whether the cable box is outputting Dolby Digital or stereo, I still get no sound from ZONE 2. My ZONE 1 speakers are 5.2, and there is nothing connected to ZONE 3 or any of the rear panel outputs other than my ZONE 1 speakers.

I tried powering on ZONE 2 from the front panel and choosing CBL as the source--no sound.

I followed instructions for turning on ALL ZONE STEREO, and although those words now appear on the front panel of the AVR, I am still getting nothing through ZONE 2.

The headphone amp is definitely working--I tried it with another source and had no issues getting good sound.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #7962 of 8919 Old 06-22-2014, 12:26 PM
585-645-1006

This was just discussed a few days ago. If ALL Zone Stereo doesn't work, try doing a soft reset by unplugging the unit for 10 minutes.

The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ

Zone 2 (HDMI) Audio - p. 194 Owner's manual - set to "PCM" and connect wireless transmitter to Zone 2 pre-outs

"JD" –

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 06-22-2014 at 01:07 PM.
post #7963 of 8919 Old 06-22-2014, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
Help needed with ZONE 2 playback, Denon x4000

I'm trying to hook up a headphone amplifier to ZONE 2 for the use of someone hearing impaired who will be visiting. He will be watching only cable TV. I can't get any sound from ZONE 2 no matter what I have tried.

My source is a cable TV box with HDMI output to the x4000. It doesn't matter whether the cable box is outputting Dolby Digital or stereo, I still get no sound from ZONE 2. My ZONE 1 speakers are 5.2, and there is nothing connected to ZONE 3 or any of the rear panel outputs other than my ZONE 1 speakers.

I tried powering on ZONE 2 from the front panel and choosing CBL as the source--no sound.

I followed instructions for turning on ALL ZONE STEREO, and although those words now appear on the front panel of the AVR, I am still getting nothing through ZONE 2.

The headphone amp is definitely working--I tried it with another source and had no issues getting good sound.

For the zone 2 volume, increase it to atleast -10 db while there is content playing and make sure ZONE 2 is on so double with the remote ie press zone 2 and power and check that it says "zone 2 ON"
ambesolman likes this.
post #7964 of 8919 Old 06-22-2014, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
^^
[quote=pec82;25165394]
Quote:

I agree with jdsmoothie that the wireless headphones are probably responsible for audio loss via Zone 2/3 preouts if the volume is set too low. My Sennheiser RS130 wireless headphones require the volume input to the headphones to be higher than a set threshold or the headphones will turn off after three minutes. This is a feature to save battery life when there is no sound input.

From the RS130 manual:

Good point! But I also tried it with a pair of wired headphones via a rca to 3.5 adapter and didn't get any audio or the audio would still drop out unless it was raised really high atleast at - 10 db or more

Hmm....guys, what volume level would you set zone 2 at if you were using it via the RCA outs?
post #7965 of 8919 Old 06-22-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
This was just discussed a few days ago. If ALL Zone Stereo doesn't work, try doing a soft reset by unplugging the unit for 10 minutes.
That solved it, thanks!

post #7966 of 8919 Old 06-22-2014, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
For the zone 2 volume, increase it to atleast -10 db while there is content playing and make sure ZONE 2 is on so double with the remote ie press zone 2 and power and check that it says "zone 2 ON"
Didn't work. I was able to get sound by following jdsmoothie's suggestion of doing a soft reset and using ALL ZONE STEREO (which hadn't worked prior to the soft reset).

post #7967 of 8919 Old 06-22-2014, 02:34 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Good point! But I also tried it with a pair of wired headphones via a rca to 3.5 adapter and didn't get any audio or the audio would still drop out unless it was raised really high atleast at - 10 db or more

Hmm....guys, what volume level would you set zone 2 at if you were using it via the RCA outs?

I just connected my RS-140's (which have been boxed up for months so not likely much charge left on them) to the Zone 2 pre-outs and audio comes through starting around -60db and is quite clear at -50db.

"JD" –

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 06-22-2014 at 02:43 PM.
post #7968 of 8919 Old 06-22-2014, 02:36 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Didn't work. I was able to get sound by following jdsmoothie's suggestion of doing a soft reset and using ALL ZONE STEREO (which hadn't worked prior to the soft reset).
Yeh .. no special setting required with ALL ZONE STEREO .. so figured the soft reset would resolve the issue.

"JD" –

post #7969 of 8919 Old 06-22-2014, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 38
music modes both with and without subwoofer?

I currently have a 5-channel setup powered by my X2000 but will soon add a subwoofer. When I do, is there some way to have both a music mode in which only the front towers play full-range and another music mode in which the front towers play a more limited range complemented by the sub?

I figure for a lot of content, e.g. chamber music, the towers will provide plenty of bass and will sound better on their own without a sub. But for some content, e.g. orchestral music and definitely something like organ music, the addition of the sub will be a big improvement. It would be great to be able to easily toggle between these, is that feasible?

Obviously for home theater I'll want the sub, this is just a question about playing music.
post #7970 of 8919 Old 06-22-2014, 03:02 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Not easily if you want to still use Audyssey: Setup -- Speakers -- Manual Setup --Subwoofer -- None
If no Audyssey then use either DIRECT or PURE DIRECT in STEREO mode.

"JD" –

post #7971 of 8919 Old 06-22-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niccolo View Post
I currently have a 5-channel setup powered by my X2000 but will soon add a subwoofer. When I do, is there some way to have both a music mode in which only the front towers play full-range and another music mode in which the front towers play a more limited range complemented by the sub?

I figure for a lot of content, e.g. chamber music, the towers will provide plenty of bass and will sound better on their own without a sub. But for some content, e.g. orchestral music and definitely something like organ music, the addition of the sub will be a big improvement. It would be great to be able to easily toggle between these, is that feasible?

Obviously for home theater I'll want the sub, this is just a question about playing music.
Quote:
^^
Not easily if you want to still use Audyssey: Setup -- Speakers -- Manual Setup --Subwoofer -- None
If no Audyssey then use either DIRECT or PURE DIRECT in STEREO mode.
If I set up Audyssey with subwoofer set to none, then I have no subwoofer in any mode, right? I definitely want to be able to use Audyssey, for what that's worth.

Are you saying that if I set up Audyssey with the sub, then in "music" mode it'll play 2.1 and in "pure" mode it'll just play 2-channel? That would be the solution to my issue, the only downside is that in pure mode Audyssey won't be making any room corrections, but I think I can live with that.

Appreciate the help!
post #7972 of 8919 Old 06-22-2014, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yeh .. no special setting required with ALL ZONE STEREO .. so figured the soft reset would resolve the issue.
I still don't understand why I couldn't get any sound out of ZONE 2 without going to ALL ZONE STEREO. This was the case regardless of whether the source signal was Dolby Digital or 2-channel. Is it because the source was digital?

post #7973 of 8919 Old 06-22-2014, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Nope.

Quote:
^^
[quote=pec82;25165394]
Quote:

From the RS130 manual:

I found out why i have to turn the volume up in order to keep the audio from dropping out.

Got this answer from Denon Support:

http://ca-denon.custhelp.com/app/ans...etail/a_id/115

"

Why can't I hear audio through my 2nd or 3rd Zone?

Please make sure you have analog (RCA red and white) cables connected from the source device you're attempting to playback to an analog source input on the receiver. Also, please make sure that "Zone 2" is selected as the choice from the Amp Assign menu as this is needed when trying to output Zone 2 audio from the "Surround Back / Amp Assign" speaker terminals.

Additionally, please make sure Zone 2 and/or Zone 3 volume is set to an audible level. (ie: -30dB Relative / 50 Absolute)

"

There we go. Explains why the audio doesnt drop out when I raise the volume

Thanks everyone for the help and suggstions. I hope this helps another user
post #7974 of 8919 Old 06-22-2014, 04:45 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
I still don't understand why I couldn't get any sound out of ZONE 2 without going to ALL ZONE STEREO. This was the case regardless of whether the source signal was Dolby Digital or 2-channel. Is it because the source was digital?
No. The X3000 and X4000 are able to pass digital audio to Zone 2. When I did the test from my earlier post with the RS-140's, I was watching a DD 5.1 program on DirecTV in the main zone and the audio was being down mixed to PCM 2.0 for Zone 2.

"JD" –

post #7975 of 8919 Old 06-22-2014, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No. The X3000 and X4000 are able to pass digital audio to Zone 2. When I did the test from my earlier post with the RS-140's, I was watching a DD 5.1 program on DirecTV in the main zone and the audio was being down mixed to PCM 2.0 for Zone 2.
That's what I thought. So what could be the problem in getting audio out of the ZONE 2 Pre-Out jacks without restorting to ALL ZONE STEREO?

post #7976 of 8919 Old 06-22-2014, 04:59 PM
585-645-1006

Do you have the correct settings as I listed in my previous posts?

"JD" –

post #7977 of 8919 Old 06-22-2014, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
That's what I thought. So what could be the problem in getting audio out of the ZONE 2 Pre-Out jacks without restorting to ALL ZONE STEREO?
Hi pbarach, connect RCA cables from cable box to the same HDMI input name.
post #7978 of 8919 Old 06-22-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niccolo View Post
If I set up Audyssey with subwoofer set to none, then I have no subwoofer in any mode, right? I definitely want to be able to use Audyssey, for what that's worth.

Are you saying that if I set up Audyssey with the sub, then in "music" mode it'll play 2.1 and in "pure" mode it'll just play 2-channel? That would be the solution to my issue, the only downside is that in pure mode Audyssey won't be making any room corrections, but I think I can live with that.

Appreciate the help!
An additional thought: if there's no way to set up both 2.1 and 2-channel stereo modes on the X2000, maybe the answer is to use "music" mode for 2.1 and when using "pure" mode just turn off the power switch for the subwoofer to get 2-channel sound?

This actually raises an interesting question: if one leaves the subwoofer on in pure mode, do the speakers run as full-range and the sub provides redundant output over some of the same frequency spectrum? That would seem to make pure mode problematic if one has a sub turned on.

Appreciate the help. And if there's some way for me to answer these questions on my own, by all means point me toward it. I've tried searching around here and elsewhere, so far without success.
post #7979 of 8919 Old 06-22-2014, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Denon AVR-X4000i question:

I originally set it up to go into stand-by mode when turned off.
That worked as advertised for the last 2 months, but the other day, without any change to the settings, it now displays "Main Zone Off" with a dimmed display, and refuses to turn off or go into stand-by.

Any idea why?

Even better, what does it take to get things back to normal?

Best regards,
post #7980 of 8919 Old 06-22-2014, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post
Hi pbarach, connect RCA cables from cable box to the same HDMI input name.

I can connect those cables directly to the headphone amp, which works fine for watching tv. But I also wanted to output audio from my Roku to the Zone 2 pre-outs.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2309ci Receiver , Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Denon , Denon Electronics , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Denon Avr E200 , Denon Avr E300 , Denon Avr E400 , Denon Avr X2000 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X3000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X1000 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page