X3000 web controller/ios app issues have cropped up, cannot pinpoint anything that changed in the last 10 months. I run with a static IP address and I about once a week I lose control via ip (either iOS app or browser). The receive still pings, but doesn't respond to a browser or the app. I have to unplug and plug back in and it will work fine for a few days. Both iOS app and receiver are up to date. I did notice my subnet mask set in my static ipaddress was set wrong (255.255.254.0 instead of 255.255.255.0). That was either there forever or changed by itself causing my issue. I just fixed it today so will have to wait a week or so to see if it goes to lunch again.
Just wondering if anyone has had any flakey network issues or if maybe my unit is 'losing it'.
PS. the only think that changed is the way I use it. I just installed deck speakers back in May and have been using zone 2 now, but nothing new was set up as the wires have been run and setup was set last year. I would think this would have no bearing on my issue, but thought I'd throw that in.