The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 267 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7981 of 8911 Old 06-22-2014, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 1247
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanVest View Post
Denon AVR-X4000i question:

I originally set it up to go into stand-by mode when turned off.
That worked as advertised for the last 2 months, but the other day, without any change to the settings, it now displays "Main Zone Off" with a dimmed display, and refuses to turn off or go into stand-by.

Any idea why?

Even better, what does it take to get things back to normal?

Best regards,
Another zone is on.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7982 of 8911 Old 06-22-2014, 08:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Another zone is on.
Not using zones.

I just did a soft reset, and things returned to normal.

It begs the question: Why do "funny stuff" like this happen for no apparent reason?
post #7983 of 8911 Old 06-23-2014, 12:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
I still don't understand why I couldn't get any sound out of ZONE 2 without going to ALL ZONE STEREO. This was the case regardless of whether the source signal was Dolby Digital or 2-channel. Is it because the source was digital?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
No. The X3000 and X4000 are able to pass digital audio to Zone 2. When I did the test from my earlier post with the RS-140's, I was watching a DD 5.1 program on DirecTV in the main zone and the audio was being down mixed to PCM 2.0 for Zone 2.
Oh JD since you've tested the feature, Id like to ask you when using the RCA outs for ZONE 2 on wireless headphones what volume did you keep zone 2 on? and could you try a favour for me - could you try less than -30 db and see if the audio drop outs? If you can, that would be great, id like to see if this ties in with what Denon Support relayed to me about voluming having to be -30 db and higher for the signal to be maintained
post #7984 of 8911 Old 06-23-2014, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by niccolo View Post
I currently have a 5-channel setup powered by my X2000 but will soon add a subwoofer. When I do, is there some way to have both a music mode in which only the front towers play full-range and another music mode in which the front towers play a more limited range complemented by the sub?

I figure for a lot of content, e.g. chamber music, the towers will provide plenty of bass and will sound better on their own without a sub. But for some content, e.g. orchestral music and definitely something like organ music, the addition of the sub will be a big improvement. It would be great to be able to easily toggle between these, is that feasible?

Obviously for home theater I'll want the sub, this is just a question about playing music.

If you have an iPhone, etc. the DeRemote app will let you turn the sub on/off on the fly along with tons of other options.

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still 👎
post #7985 of 8911 Old 06-23-2014, 04:19 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 1505
Quote:
Denon AVR-X4000i question:

I originally set it up to go into stand-by mode when turned off.
That worked as advertised for the last 2 months, but the other day, without any change to the settings, it now displays "Main Zone Off" with a dimmed display, and refuses to turn off or go into stand-by.

Any idea why?

Even better, what does it take to get things back to normal?

Best regards,
The X4000 has 3 independent zones. The display is simply letting you know that the main zone is off, but that you have either Zone 2 and/or Zone 3 still powered on. Turn them off and you'll be able to "get back to normal".

Quote:
Not using zones.

I just did a soft reset, and things returned to normal.

It begs the question: Why do "funny stuff" like this happen for no apparent reason?
Nothing funny at all, rather sometimes all zones will power on when you simply press the Power On button on the remote (or if you are using a Harmony remote) rather than simply pressing the specific source button on the remote to power on the AVR.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 06-23-2014 at 04:24 AM.
post #7986 of 8911 Old 06-23-2014, 04:21 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post
Oh JD since you've tested the feature, Id like to ask you when using the RCA outs for ZONE 2 on wireless headphones what volume did you keep zone 2 on? and could you try a favour for me - could you try less than -30 db and see if the audio drop outs? If you can, that would be great, id like to see if this ties in with what Denon Support relayed to me about voluming having to be -30 db and higher for the signal to be maintained
Yes, although I can start to hear audio about -60db to -50db, to maintain it, the volume must be -30db.
music_to_my_ear likes this.

"JD" –
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 06-23-2014 at 04:39 AM.
post #7987 of 8911 Old 06-23-2014, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi,

I have the UMC 200 Emotiva with XPA 5/UPA 3 (for rear surrounds). Speakers are PSB T2 with dual SB 13 (7.2 system). I have not been too happy with the bass integration. The EmoQ room calibration have not worked very well.
I am interested in upgrading the UMC to the X4000. I just want to make sure that I can still use my amps with the x4000 I saw that in earlier denon models, there was a pre amp mode. I don't completly understand this. Wouldn't connecting the preamp out to the xpa/upa work in the same manner. Would there be any benefit in considering the 4520?

Thanks in advance for answering the question.
post #7988 of 8911 Old 06-23-2014, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 1247
Yes, you can use external amps with the X4000. Preamp mode is a special setting which disconnects the signal from the amps but the lack of this mode doesn't mean you can't use the X4000 as a dedicated pre/pro. The differences between the X4000 and 4520 are well described in the first post of this thread.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

post #7989 of 8911 Old 06-23-2014, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
If you have an iPhone, etc. the DeRemote app will let you turn the sub on/off on the fly along with tons of other options.

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still 👎
Fantastic. Is there any way to do that on the remote without using an iPhone?
post #7990 of 8911 Old 06-23-2014, 05:47 PM
585-645-1006

^^
As I already posted ...

The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ

"JD" –

post #7991 of 8911 Old 06-23-2014, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Nothing funny at all, rather sometimes all zones will power on when you simply press the Power On button on the remote (or if you are using a Harmony remote) rather than simply pressing the specific source button on the remote to power on the AVR.
I don't much like that "sometimes" part.
Is this behaviour supposed to be a hit or miss affair?

This multi-zone on business has happened twice now over the last couple of days, and never during the first two months I have owned the receiver. It would be very nice if I could get things back to normal, i.e. a clean return to stand-by when powering the unit off. I generally turn the AVR on and off using the unit's own power button and not via remote.
post #7992 of 8911 Old 06-24-2014, 04:06 AM
585-645-1006

^^
This is discussed further in post #4 of this thread ....

The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ

"JD" –

post #7993 of 8911 Old 06-24-2014, 04:07 AM
585-645-1006

General information provided in posts #1-7

Please review these posts for more helpful information.

"JD" –

post #7994 of 8911 Old 06-24-2014, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I recently purchased a denon X2000. Pressing info button on the remote doesn't show anything on the display. I have Sony Bluray player connected to receiver.

I have to trun down my sub volume at 2 (not 2 clock) but audessey sets sub level at -9.5. Isn't it way too less? Setting at 3 sets the sub level at -12.5

Thanks for any help
post #7995 of 8911 Old 06-24-2014, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 352
I think there is no on-screen display in Pure mode. Switch to Direct or some other mode.

post #7996 of 8911 Old 06-24-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
I don't much like that "sometimes" part.
Is this behaviour supposed to be a hit or miss affair?

This multi-zone on business has happened twice now over the last couple of days, and never during the first two months I have owned the receiver. It would be very nice if I could get things back to normal, i.e. a clean return to stand-by when powering the unit off. I generally turn the AVR on and off using the unit's own power button and not via remote.
^^
This is discussed further in post #4 of this thread ....
A relevant part of post #4 reads as follows:

"1. All Zones Power ON - When using a universal remote (eg. Harmony) to power on the multi zone models, all zones will be powered on (ie. main, Zone2, Zone3). A few work arounds include "teaching" the universal remote the discrete power on sequence for each zone from the Denon remote, select an individual source button which will also power on the AVR as well, or simply set the Zones 2/3 "Power On Volume" (p. 194 OM) to either "Mute" or some low volume level (eg. 40 or -40db). Note this can also occur when using the Denon remote, so if you power OFF the AVR and the front panel says "Main Zone OFF" but the unit still remains powered ON, that means you have one or both of the other zones still powered on as well and must turn them OFF to power off the AVR."

Here the post speaks to the use of of a remote (Denon or universal) to turn the AVR on and off.

That's irrelevant in my case, as I use the AVR X4000's ON button to do the job. And it still doesn't explain why this "All Zones ON" nuisance did not occur for the first two months of its life.
post #7997 of 8911 Old 06-24-2014, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
So... I've just purchased a refurbished AVR-X4000 but I didn't realize that the AVR-X4100 is coming out "soonish". It looks like it has Dolby Atmos support.

Is that something I should have waited for? (although paying full price versus refurbished is a big difference anyways)
post #7998 of 8911 Old 06-24-2014, 01:48 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Depends on whether you have the ability to add 2-4 ceiling speakers to take advantage of the new technology.

"JD" –

post #7999 of 8911 Old 06-24-2014, 01:50 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
A relevant part of post #4 reads as follows:

"1. All Zones Power ON - When using a universal remote (eg. Harmony) to power on the multi zone models, all zones will be powered on (ie. main, Zone2, Zone3). A few work arounds include "teaching" the universal remote the discrete power on sequence for each zone from the Denon remote, select an individual source button which will also power on the AVR as well, or simply set the Zones 2/3 "Power On Volume" (p. 194 OM) to either "Mute" or some low volume level (eg. 40 or -40db). Note this can also occur when using the Denon remote, so if you power OFF the AVR and the front panel says "Main Zone OFF" but the unit still remains powered ON, that means you have one or both of the other zones still powered on as well and must turn them OFF to power off the AVR."

Here the post speaks to the use of of a remote (Denon or universal) to turn the AVR on and off.

That's irrelevant in my case, as I use the AVR X4000's ON button to do the job. And it still doesn't explain why this "All Zones ON" nuisance did not occur for the first two months of its life.
Yeh ... not sure either, although I never use the ON/Standby button either.

"JD" –

post #8000 of 8911 Old 06-24-2014, 02:09 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofakng View Post
So... I've just purchased a refurbished AVR-X4000 but I didn't realize that the AVR-X4100 is coming out "soonish". It looks like it has Dolby Atmos support.

Is that something I should have waited for? (although paying full price versus refurbished is a big difference anyways)
If you are concerned with price, would you be planning to buy new speakers, or add-on speakers to support the Dolby Atmos? It does require additional hardware besides the receiver. Also, it requires Blue-Ray movies that incorporate Dolby Atmos, think NEW disks ... which may be coming out in 2015 when producers start supporting Atmos on Blue-Ray. Do you think they might cost more to purchase considering the producers will have to spend more on making movies with Atmos? Until it becomes common, it is rather doubtful that you will find many titles available on Netflix or RedBox. Should you have waited?

Neil from Southern California
post #8001 of 8911 Old 06-24-2014, 02:17 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdadi View Post
I recently purchased a denon X2000. Pressing info button on the remote doesn't show anything on the display. I have Sony Bluray player connected to receiver.

I have to trun down my sub volume at 2 (not 2 clock) but audessey sets sub level at -9.5. Isn't it way too less? Setting at 3 sets the sub level at -12.5

Thanks for any help
Is the BDP video displaying on the TV? Do you hear audio from the speakers? If yes, then unplug the AVR for 10 minutes and try again. Also, most subs are very efficient so it is not unusual to have to set the sub to 2/10 or even 1/10. Keep in mind this is not a "volume" knob, but rather a gain knob. The volume of the sub will be controlled by the AVR remote. If you prefer more bass, set the sub gain so the final sub level is -6db and then you can raise +5db or so to suit your preference.

"JD" –

post #8002 of 8911 Old 06-25-2014, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Is the BDP video displaying on the TV? Do you hear audio from the speakers? If yes, then unplug the AVR for 10 minutes and try again. Also, most subs are very efficient so it is not unusual to have to set the sub to 2/10 or even 1/10. Keep in mind this is not a "volume" knob, but rather a gain knob. The volume of the sub will be controlled by the AVR remote. If you prefer more bass, set the sub gain so the final sub level is -6db and then you can raise +5db or so to suit your preference.
BDP video is displaying on projector screen. BDP is connected to projector with HDMI. Don't have TV display to connect. Does this needs to be connected to HDTV to get full GUI working?

With sub volume at 2 and sub level on AVR at -9.5 (audessey setup) bass is plenty. Guess I don't need to change this.
post #8003 of 8911 Old 06-25-2014, 02:34 PM
585-645-1006

^^
No, just needs to be connected to an HDMI display whether TV or PJ.

"JD" –

post #8004 of 8911 Old 06-26-2014, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Any one want to give me there two cents as to why I should go with a denon over a pioneer? I auditioned the x2000 and the sc-71 yesterday. I think the pioneer had a tiny bit better sound but I only heard it in stereo. Will the room correction make it win out over the pioneer, is it more durable, do they have better customer support and warranty?
post #8005 of 8911 Old 06-26-2014, 11:18 AM

X3000 web controller/ios app issues have cropped up, cannot pinpoint anything that changed in the last 10 months. I run with a static IP address and I about once a week I lose control via ip (either iOS app or browser). The receive still pings, but doesn't respond to a browser or the app. I have to unplug and plug back in and it will work fine for a few days. Both iOS app and receiver are up to date. I did notice my subnet mask set in my static ipaddress was set wrong (255.255.254.0 instead of 255.255.255.0). That was either there forever or changed by itself causing my issue. I just fixed it today so will have to wait a week or so to see if it goes to lunch again.

Just wondering if anyone has had any flakey network issues or if maybe my unit is 'losing it'.

Thanks!

PS. the only think that changed is the way I use it. I just installed deck speakers back in May and have been using zone 2 now, but nothing new was set up as the wires have been run and setup was set last year. I would think this would have no bearing on my issue, but thought I'd throw that in.
post #8006 of 8911 Old 06-26-2014, 12:57 PM

Thanks JD! just ordered X2000 to replace AVR 3300. Anxiously awaiting.
post #8007 of 8911 Old 06-26-2014, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonslush View Post
Any one want to give me there two cents as to why I should go with a denon over a pioneer? I auditioned the x2000 and the sc-71 yesterday. I think the pioneer had a tiny bit better sound but I only heard it in stereo. Will the room correction make it win out over the pioneer, is it more durable, do they have better customer support and warranty?
The SC-71 799.99 at BB. But if you was with X-4000 then Denon.
post #8008 of 8911 Old 06-26-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chise View Post
The SC-71 799.99 at BB. But if you was with X-4000 then Denon.
My local BB has the sc-71 for $499 open box ,like new and comes with everything. The x4000 is out of my current budget or it would be an easy decision. Wattage of the two units differs slightly but for the most part they both offer the same features at least for the things I care about. The receivers for a 7.2 setup. 95% for movies.
post #8009 of 8911 Old 06-26-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonslush View Post
Any one want to give me there two cents as to why I should go with a denon over a pioneer? ... do they have better customer support and warranty?
FWIW Pioneer is selling their A/V business.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0P51MY20140624

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
post #8010 of 8911 Old 06-26-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post
FWIW Pioneer is selling their A/V business.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0P51MY20140624
Yea I read that today. They say it shouldn't effect warranty or quality of the product. but Onkyo went down hill fast so who knows if that same fate will happen to Pioneer.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2309ci Receiver , Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Denon , Denon Electronics , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Denon Avr E200 , Denon Avr E300 , Denon Avr E400 , Denon Avr X2000 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X3000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X1000 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page