The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 269 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8041 of 9184 Old 06-28-2014, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
What source are you trying to pass to Zone 2? Try swapping the speakers, if neither works in the SBR speaker posts, then try doing a microprocessor reset at least 4-5 times in a row. If still no joy, and you are within the return period of the unit, exchange it, otherwise check Denon's website to see if there is a repair facility in your local area.
Thanks JD, I've tried multiple sources and swapped speakers as well. I will try multiple resets and cross my fingers. I'm pretty sure it will have to be exchanged/repaired.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8042 of 9184 Old 06-29-2014, 04:18 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
perplexing situation !!!

Hi

This is my first post and I would like to thank all you for all the advice I have been reading till now

I recently purchased a Denon x2000 avr and hooked it up with a sony 670 TV and TataSky HD DTH Box and xbox 360.
Initially I setup as it should be ie all HDMI connections i.e output to TH ARC HDMI and all inputs into properly marked HDMI inputs.
However I had so called 'earthing' problems ie I switch on/off some light in the room and I will hear it from the amp + the tatasky box was outputting video OK but sound used to come randomly - apparently some specific power on sequence worked ...but changing channels /sources - sound goes.
read lot of posts and suggestions.
tried various things like changing hdmi ports etc - no use.
got house wiring checked as well. and all devices nowdays come with 2 pin jacks and I dont have polarized plugs.
got tatasky technician to visit also and he says as long its working directly with TV its ok.

Then I connected the tatasky box to TV and optical out to the AVR thus isolating all electrical connections between the tatasky box and the avr and 'earthing' issues go away.
the setup works fine .... till you change channels on the tatasky box - again sound goes. if you switch the avr on/off it comes back !! so everytime I change channels , I need to switch the avr on/off

have disabled all HDMI settings like bravia sync (ie ARC) in TV, HDMI controls in AVR.
AVR works fine with xbox, HDMI connection.
tatasky box works fine with the TV - HDMI connection.
AVR and tatasky hs box done work fine with each other !

So the question is whether the problem is in the tatasky HD box or the avr ?
will appreciate and any other advice/suggestions to solve this vexing issue ...and optimizing my setup.

Thx

post #8043 of 9184 Old 06-29-2014, 04:26 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1418 Post(s)
Liked: 1604
^^
Connect the cable box --> HDMI ---> TV and cable box ---> optical ---> AVR. Use either an optical switch to increase the number of optical inputs to the AVR or use an optical --> coax digital converter.

The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ
tag1017 likes this.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #8044 of 9184 Old 06-29-2014, 06:36 AM

Quote:
^^
Connect the cable box --> HDMI ---> TV and cable box ---> optical ---> AVR. Use either an optical switch to increase the number of optical inputs to the AVR or use an optical --> coax digital converter.

The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ
Thx.
I have already connected satellite Box to AVR via optical.
however when I change channels on satellite box, sound goes. I need to switch avr on/off to get sound for the 'new' channel

post #8045 of 9184 Old 06-29-2014, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by tag1017 View Post
Thx.
however when I change channels on satellite box, sound goes. I need to switch avr on/off to get sound for the 'new' channel
Hi tag1017, as a test use the Xbox 360 (excluding Xbox 360e model) optical port to see if you get the same result like tatasky HD.
post #8046 of 9184 Old 06-29-2014, 07:19 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag1017 View Post
Thx.
There should be no issue with this configuration, rather seems to be an issue with the cable box. You may want to try connecting analog RCA cables (red/white) from the cable box instead, although doing so you would not be able to pass DD 5.1 from the HD channels.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #8047 of 9184 Old 06-29-2014, 11:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
There should be no issue with this configuration, rather seems to be an issue with the cable box. You may want to try connecting analog RCA cables (red/white) from the cable box instead, although doing so you would not be able to pass DD 5.1 from the HD channels.
Hey JD, quick question for ya

Can zone 3 pass audio to wireless headphones via its rca outs w amp set as 5.1/zone3 or 5.1/mono zone2&3?

Reason I ask is ive been trying to get audio from zone 3 to my wireless headphones and i couldnt get any audio

I tried several soft resets and did a microproc reset 4-5 times and it still didnt work.

Also I went thru the material on page 1 and went thru the user manual there isnt any mention of not being able to use zone 3 for wireless headphones....

" -- 3rd zone is stereo audio only (either with external amp or internal amp assignment)

d. Wireless Headphones: One advantage of having a model with Zone 2 pre-outs (ie. “CI” or "X" model), is that you can connect a set of analog wireless headphones (eg. Sennheiser) and listen to music elsewhere in the house while someone is watching a movie or playing a game in the main zone (noting the Zone 2 limitations listed above). "

So either Zone 3 can only pass audio with an external amp/receiver or my receiver is busted and ill need to RMA it via Denon
post #8048 of 9184 Old 06-29-2014, 11:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post
Hey JD, quick question for ya

Can zone 3 pass audio to wireless headphones via its rca outs w amp set as 5.1/zone3 or 5.1/mono zone2&3?

Reason I ask is ive been trying to get audio from zone 3 to my wireless headphones and i couldnt get any audio

I tried several soft resets and did a microproc reset 4-5 times and it still didnt work.

Also I went thru the material on page 1 and went thru the user manual there isnt any mention of not being able to use zone 3 for wireless headphones....

" -- 3rd zone is stereo audio only (either with external amp or internal amp assignment)

d. Wireless Headphones: One advantage of having a model with Zone 2 pre-outs (ie. “CI” or "X" model), is that you can connect a set of analog wireless headphones (eg. Sennheiser) and listen to music elsewhere in the house while someone is watching a movie or playing a game in the main zone (noting the Zone 2 limitations listed above). "

So either Zone 3 can only pass audio with an external amp/receiver or my receiver is busted and ill need to RMA it via Denon
ps: I just want to add doing a proc reset has fixed the zone 2 to wireless headphones issues i was having earlier last week. So I just want to thank you for that!
post #8049 of 9184 Old 06-30-2014, 03:13 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Although Zone 3 cannot pass HDMI audio (like Zone 2) it should be able to pass PCM 2.0 optical/digital coax/analog.

post #8050 of 9184 Old 06-30-2014, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 55
With the new x4100 coming out soon, do you think the x4000 will go down in price?
post #8051 of 9184 Old 06-30-2014, 09:00 AM
585-645-1006

Depends on whether there is any excess inventory although pricing of new X4100W is going up $100 when it is released in Sep so not likely to be much.

post #8052 of 9184 Old 06-30-2014, 10:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
New AVR-X1000 & iPod Problems

Here is the equipment causing me problems:

NEW Denon AVR-X1000
Apple iPod Nano - 5th Generation

After initial set up I experienced problems with the Front USB port. I had connected my 5th Gen iPod Nano and set it up. I chose the "On Screen Option" to play the device. I selected iPod/USB as the function. Then AVR shows options of Artists, Songs, etc. I choose Random, select song, "Enter". Screen pops with "Now Playing". About a minute later album art, song title, band, and album name appear. Options on screen are: Pause, Previous, Option, Back, and Next. There is a minute and second indicator, and a percent indicator. Both always displays 00.00 and 0%. There is a "spinning wheel" that is constantly going around and around on the right side of the display. All this with NO AUDIO.

I slept on this problem and did a full microprocessor reset this morning. Same result. Do I have a poor USB input? I have checked the manual and my 5th Generation iPod Nano (with a drawing) shown as being supported. I LOVE this receiver but is it time to ship it back for a replacement or refund?

Jim Kilbane

Chad Billheimer rocks as a ISF Calibrator for Ohio.
Roller Coaster season is upon us. Proud member of American Coaster Enthusiasts (ACE) Woodies Rule!
post #8053 of 9184 Old 06-30-2014, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbinet View Post
Here is the equipment causing me problems:

NEW Denon AVR-X1000
Apple iPod Nano - 5th Generation

After initial set up I experienced problems with the Front USB port. I had connected my 5th Gen iPod Nano and set it up. I chose the "On Screen Option" to play the device. I selected iPod/USB as the function. Then AVR shows options of Artists, Songs, etc. I choose Random, select song, "Enter". Screen pops with "Now Playing". About a minute later album art, song title, band, and album name appear. Options on screen are: Pause, Previous, Option, Back, and Next. There is a minute and second indicator, and a percent indicator. Both always displays 00.00 and 0%. There is a "spinning wheel" that is constantly going around and around on the right side of the display. All this with NO AUDIO.

I slept on this problem and did a full microprocessor reset this morning. Same result. Do I have a poor USB input? I have checked the manual and my 5th Generation iPod Nano (with a drawing) shown as being supported. I LOVE this receiver but is it time to ship it back for a replacement or refund?

Jim Kilbane
I have a similar problem with an older ipod classic, except in my case, if I choose the on-screen option everything works fine, but if I choose the option that lets me select music directly on the ipod, no sound. I had the problem with an X1000, which I ended up returning, and I have the identical problem with my current X2000. So I've reconciled myself to have to use analog-in to get ipod content to the X2000.

Separately, I've noticed that with solo piano tracks, Airplay introduces a non-trivial crackling noise into the soundtrack. There are tons of reports of this on the interwebs, going back many years, it seems to be a software quirk that Apple has never managed to fix. Odd.
post #8054 of 9184 Old 06-30-2014, 07:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by niccolo View Post
I have a similar problem with an older ipod classic, except in my case, if I choose the on-screen option everything works fine, but if I choose the option that lets me select music directly on the ipod, no sound. I had the problem with an X1000, which I ended up returning, and I have the identical problem with my current X2000. So I've reconciled myself to have to use analog-in to get ipod content to the X2000.

Separately, I've noticed that with solo piano tracks, Airplay introduces a non-trivial crackling noise into the soundtrack. There are tons of reports of this on the interwebs, going back many years, it seems to be a software quirk that Apple has never managed to fix. Odd.
Niccolo,

I figured it out! The AVR-X1000 is fine; it was the iPod. I have had my iPod over 4 years. I got the bright idea to try and find the manual for it - 5th generation or not. I found it and downloaded to my laptop. It was suggested in the manual to reset the iPod (I didn't know you could). I followed the instructions, plugged it into the front USB and sound! Still have problems with cover art. It has stayed on Gerry Rafferty's City to City cover art for about 5 different songs.

Jim

Chad Billheimer rocks as a ISF Calibrator for Ohio.
Roller Coaster season is upon us. Proud member of American Coaster Enthusiasts (ACE) Woodies Rule!
post #8055 of 9184 Old 07-01-2014, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Hi

I already have the cable box connected to TV via HDMI ...so it works fine without the avr. I use AVR for HD channels ....but then switching /channel surfing is becoming a pain as audio goes away.

the way i understand it is that the AVR and sat box are 'electrically' isolated ....only connection is via optical ...and the avr is not able to 'respond' to a change in channel ....so could the problem be with the avr since audio comes when its switched on/off or is it with the cable box that its not able to send the 'change in channel' audio correctly ... this is confusing

second ..am planning to buy a basic blue ray player , since I want the avr to do everything, with the player only reading the disc. such players (eg sony bdp s1100) typically have an HDMI and a coax out. can this problem persist with the BD player as well ?

thx

post #8056 of 9184 Old 07-01-2014, 02:43 AM
585-645-1006

^^
There shouldn't be any problem with just the optical connected to the AVR. Try resetting or replacing the cable box.

post #8057 of 9184 Old 07-01-2014, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I Just got a klipsch SW 450 and it has speaker inputs , now i read that the RCA LFE only works on 5.1 and if i wanted to use the Sub in music i would have to use the Speaker setup.

Now i have the Denon x4000 does that sub has the capabilities to do that?
post #8058 of 9184 Old 07-01-2014, 01:16 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Just connect the sub pre-out on the X4000 to the LFE input on the sub and run Audyssey. Reset any speakers set to LARGE as SMALL/80Hz which will ensure the low bass from music gets sent to the sub.

post #8059 of 9184 Old 07-01-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
^^
Just connect the sub pre-out on the X4000 to the LFE input on the sub and run Audyssey. Reset any speakers set to LARGE as SMALL/80Hz which will ensure the low bass from music gets sent to the sub.
So just keep it on the LFE rca and run audyssey? Ok thank you

Also i have my front speakers Bi amped is there a way i can have 7.1 and still use bi amp?
post #8060 of 9184 Old 07-01-2014, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 1434
The receiver has 7 amps built in. So if you bi-amp, you are using 4 for two channels.... 7 minus 4 is 3 left over for center and surrounds. So, no, you can't bi-amp and ALSO do 7.1.

Not a big deal though, since bi-amping with the receiver is basically pointless.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #8061 of 9184 Old 07-01-2014, 01:45 PM

O i thought bi amping was a benefit?
post #8062 of 9184 Old 07-01-2014, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Just did a firmware update on my X4000...where can I find a firmware change log?

post #8063 of 9184 Old 07-01-2014, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbinet View Post
Niccolo,

I figured it out! The AVR-X1000 is fine; it was the iPod. I have had my iPod over 4 years. I got the bright idea to try and find the manual for it - 5th generation or not. I found it and downloaded to my laptop. It was suggested in the manual to reset the iPod (I didn't know you could). I followed the instructions, plugged it into the front USB and sound! Still have problems with cover art. It has stayed on Gerry Rafferty's City to City cover art for about 5 different songs.

Jim
Glad to hear that worked for you! Sadly it doesn't seem to make any difference with my similar issue.

Benq W1070 projector w/ Chief RSM mount with custom interface bracket
119" Da-Lite Cinema Contour with High-Contrast (gray) Da-Mat screen
Denon X2000 receiver fed by Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Bluray player
Focal Chorus 700-series towers and center, JMLab Tantal 500-series bookshelf rears
Rythmik FV15HP sub
post #8064 of 9184 Old 07-01-2014, 11:11 PM

Quote:
^^
There shouldn't be any problem with just the optical connected to the AVR. Try resetting or replacing the cable box.
Thx.
will try resetting everything !

as for replacing cable box ...lemme see what the dth company says ...

post #8065 of 9184 Old 07-02-2014, 03:08 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalgreg View Post
Just did a firmware update on my X4000...where can I find a firmware change log?
Firmware change log information is listed in post #6 of this thread.

post #8066 of 9184 Old 07-02-2014, 03:10 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pacalypsenow View Post
O i thought bi amping was a benefit?
Not when simply using the setting on the AVR no as there is only one power supply so no more additional power and the same signal is simply passed to each set of speaker posts. You would be better served removing it and connecting the extra set of speakers if you want to go to 7.1.

post #8067 of 9184 Old 07-02-2014, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Yesterday my new X4000 (about a month or so old) succumbed to the sudden power down w/fast red flashing light. Two soft re-sets didn't fix the problem, and I just did a microprocessor reset and am running Audyssey as we speak.

This issue started yesterday after having a bad storm roll through that did cause a momentary power flicker, however the unit is run through a Belkin PF60 and nothing was on - this was the middle of the night.

If the microprocessor reset doesn't fix it, I'll contact JD (who I bought the unit from) for further guidance/direction. Here's hoping............

"The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."
post #8068 of 9184 Old 07-02-2014, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Firmware change log information is listed in post #6 of this thread.
Thanks....missed that. The update I did last night was from February? Didn't realize it was that old.

post #8069 of 9184 Old 07-02-2014, 07:37 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Apparently so.

post #8070 of 9184 Old 07-02-2014, 08:09 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverlies View Post
Yesterday my new X4000 (about a month or so old) succumbed to the sudden power down w/fast red flashing light. Two soft re-sets didn't fix the problem, and I just did a microprocessor reset and am running Audyssey as we speak.

This issue started yesterday after having a bad storm roll through that did cause a momentary power flicker, however the unit is run through a Belkin PF60 and nothing was on - this was the middle of the night.

If the microprocessor reset doesn't fix it, I'll contact JD (who I bought the unit from) for further guidance/direction. Here's hoping............
Visually check all speaker wire connections to ensure there is no loose speaker wire touching another post, otherwise, if still no joy, call me and we'll do an RMA and exchange it for you.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2309ci Receiver , Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Denon , Denon Electronics , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Denon Avr E200 , Denon Avr E300 , Denon Avr E400 , Denon Avr X2000 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X3000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X1000 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page