The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 271 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8101 of 8340 Old 07-05-2014, 03:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Even if I went front wide it sounds like using 9 speakers won't do anything for me anyway right? So you are suggesting a 7.2 arrangement with the final 2 speakers of the 7 being front wide then?

As far as the sound options I was using most were Audyssey or all speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8102 of 8340 Old 07-05-2014, 03:21 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 1332
^^
Not suggesting you limit to 7.2 at all, rather simply suggesting Front Wide and Front Height over rear surround. If you add a 2CH amp, you can expand to 9CH and then include both Front Wide and Front Height, otherwise without the external amp, just the Front Wide.

http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AM.../dp/B00026BQJ6

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #8103 of 8340 Old 07-05-2014, 03:58 AM

I can't afford an amp so it sounds like 7.2 as you described makes the most sense.
post #8104 of 8340 Old 07-05-2014, 05:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 39
If you are having wires run now you should have it run for 9.2 minimum. If you're using an X4000 now then I'm guessing your next AVR will be equally as feature rich. I would run wires for the new ATMOS speakers as well. Not because you need any of this now but because it will be nice to have in place in the future. I would also make sure that I had some options to move the subs around so that they can be placed optimally once the room is set up.
post #8105 of 8340 Old 07-05-2014, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 180
As for wire, the only important factors are gauge and wire material. 12awg is overkill in all but the longest runs, but if it makes you feel better, then do it. OFC (Oxygen Free Copper) is the preferred wire material and is getting harder to find. CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum) wire is just that, AL wire with a copper coating. It's cheaper to make and is becoming the dominant material in wire found at BB. The general thought is if you're going to use CCA, then you need to get the next size up in terms of size (smaller # is thicker)............. If it doesn't specifically say OFC on the label, then you can rest assured it's CCA.

Helpful links;

Wire Size Calculator: http://www.bcae1.com/images/swfs/spe...rassistant.swf

OFC 14AWG: http://www.htd.com/Products/Speaker-...-Speaker-Cable

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon X-2000 ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Power Sound Audio XV15

Last edited by D Bone; 07-05-2014 at 06:45 AM.
post #8106 of 8340 Old 07-05-2014, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Check to make sure the Video Conversion setting (p. 192 Owner's manual) is set to ON. If ON, try doing multiple resets (at least 4-5).
Bingo. you da the man. Setting video conversion to ON got the GUI over video overlay working. No need for reset.

Thanks a bunch. You saved me lot of time and shipping charges
post #8107 of 8340 Old 07-05-2014, 10:38 AM

So to wrap this up, if I understood you guys correctly it won't hurt anything to have all 9 speakers attached and plugged in, I just won't have them all working at the same time. It means depending on which sound option I select I'll use different speakers is all.

Like I mentioned I'm typically using all speaker option or Audyssey anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec head View Post
If you are having wires run now you should have it run for 9.2 minimum. If you're using an X4000 now then I'm guessing your next AVR will be equally as feature rich. I would run wires for the new ATMOS speakers as well. Not because you need any of this now but because it will be nice to have in place in the future. I would also make sure that I had some options to move the subs around so that they can be placed optimally once the room is set up.
post #8108 of 8340 Old 07-05-2014, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhyrock View Post
So to wrap this up, if I understood you guys correctly it won't hurt anything to have all 9 speakers attached and plugged in, I just won't have them all working at the same time. It means depending on which sound option I select I'll use different speakers is all.

Like I mentioned I'm typically using all speaker option or Audyssey anyway.
That's right, you can hook up all 9 without any worries. If/when you decide to get an external amp you can then use all 9 at once. My point is to wire for all 9 and consider wiring for 11.4 or even to look at the new surround formats that use ceiling speakers and wire for those too. It is just easier and probably cheaper overall to do it now.
post #8109 of 8340 Old 07-05-2014, 12:31 PM

I'll wire for 9 (it's a rental, no need to go for 11 here) and I'll look into the front wide suggestion since at best I'll be doing a 7.2 format in the cases where the movie supports it.

The Audyssey option for sound format does what exactly then? Just reads the source and applies best sound it thinks works?

If you have 9 speakers even when you use "MULTI CHANNEL STEREO" it's sending sound through 7 of them?
post #8110 of 8340 Old 07-05-2014, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
I'll wire for 9 (it's a rental, no need to go for 11 here) and I'll look into the front wide suggestion since at best I'll be doing a 7.2 format in the cases where the movie supports it.

The Audyssey option for sound format does what exactly then? Just reads the source and applies best sound it thinks works?

If you have 9 speakers even when you use "MULTI CHANNEL STEREO" it's sending sound through 7 of them?

Just because you're sticking with 7.1 now doesn't mean you can't try 5.1 + height or wides to see if you like them. Personally I like wides better but I run both.

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still 👎
post #8111 of 8340 Old 07-05-2014, 07:27 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Audyssey will EQ all speakers connected in the main zone (eg. all 9 connected). Then the AVR will process audio to 7 of the 9 speakers based on the surround format you select.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #8112 of 8340 Old 07-06-2014, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:

Not sure if you're asking "what does Audyssey do?"... but if you are, there is a full-featured Audyssey FAQ here:
"Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #51779)

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #8113 of 8340 Old 07-07-2014, 02:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Have you calculated how much you would save? Do you remember to turn 75W/100W lights off in rooms in the house that are not being used? If your sub has an AUTO setting, it should only come on when the signal is strong enough (which would not likely be the case for lower volume music listening levels). You can manually turn the Sub Off using the OSD/menu if desired. You don't want to leave out the sub during the Audyssey calibration and also don't want to lower the speaker crossovers lower than what is set after running Audyssey.
We use energy efficient light bulbs, of course the kids still light most of the house, most of the time. I hear what your saying, thanks for your help here.I'll leave the sub on and enjoy a more complete sound.
post #8114 of 8340 Old 07-07-2014, 01:01 PM

AVR-E200 for primarily stereo?

Hi folks,
I hope you'll forgive my not reading all the previous 270-some pages, but I was hoping for some input on the sound quality of the E200 relative to its higher (or newer) siblings. I just picked up a set of Infinity Beta 40 towers for a song and am looking for something inexpensive but decent to drive them in my basement fun room. I currently have an AVR-1912 pushing a full Beta setup (50s/C360/10s) as my main HT, and have been very happy with it. My original intent was to just get a stereo receiver, but the connectivity and price (currently $159 on amazon) of the E200 make it appealing. Since it's the basement, a wired network connection isn't much use to me, and I don't really need the Audyssey setup since I'm going to be stereo for the moment; I expect I'll just wire up an Airport Express to get AirPlay. Thoughts? Thanks!
post #8115 of 8340 Old 07-07-2014, 01:23 PM
chf

Smile Denon X4000 Purchase

I want to thank jdsmoothie for his advice in choosing the X4000 to replace my ailing Marantz SR6006. The Denon unit is definitely superior to the Marantz for pulling dialog out of loud music backgrounds. It has been rock solid in my setup. Also, he was able to give me a really good deal on the price and a painless purchase process. Definitely contact him as part of your search for new products.
post #8116 of 8340 Old 07-07-2014, 01:57 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtwofish View Post
Hi folks,
I hope you'll forgive my not reading all the previous 270-some pages, but I was hoping for some input on the sound quality of the E200 relative to its higher (or newer) siblings. I just picked up a set of Infinity Beta 40 towers for a song and am looking for something inexpensive but decent to drive them in my basement fun room. I currently have an AVR-1912 pushing a full Beta setup (50s/C360/10s) as my main HT, and have been very happy with it. My original intent was to just get a stereo receiver, but the connectivity and price (currently $159 on amazon) of the E200 make it appealing. Since it's the basement, a wired network connection isn't much use to me, and I don't really need the Audyssey setup since I'm going to be stereo for the moment; I expect I'll just wire up an Airport Express to get AirPlay. Thoughts? Thanks!
Doesn't matter if you're EQing a 5.1 setup or just 2.0 setup, Audyssey will still help to improve the audio quality, however, if you feel you don't need the extra help, the E200 should serve you well.

post #8117 of 8340 Old 07-07-2014, 01:57 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by chf View Post
I want to thank jdsmoothie for his advice in choosing the X4000 to replace my ailing Marantz SR6006. The Denon unit is definitely superior to the Marantz for pulling dialog out of loud music backgrounds. It has been rock solid in my setup. Also, he was able to give me a really good deal on the price and a painless purchase process. Definitely contact him as part of your search for new products.
Welcome to Audyssey MultEQ XT32!

post #8118 of 8340 Old 07-07-2014, 01:59 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by chf View Post
Thanks. Also, as a reminder for those of you interested, we only have "3" X2000's left at clearance pricing.

post #8119 of 8340 Old 07-07-2014, 02:01 PM
chf

Yes, I'm sure that that's what is pulling the dialog out for me. I'm really enjoying the unit.
post #8120 of 8340 Old 07-07-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Doesn't matter if you're EQing a 5.1 setup or just 2.0 setup, Audyssey will still help to improve the audio quality, however, if you feel you don't need the extra help, the E200 should serve you well.
Interesting - I hadn't realized Audyssey tweaked parameters besides the crossovers and distance settings. I'm actually not even sure I could run Audyssey since it won't be hooked to a tv with HDMI - I'll have to look in the manual to see if I can do that using the little display. Thanks for the input!
post #8121 of 8340 Old 07-07-2014, 02:14 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Yes indeed. It EQ's them as well to a flat or slightly rolled off high frequency curve which is why it's so popular as an Auto EQ. You can use the front panel display, you just have to get close enough to read it. Some folks without a display prefer to purchase (or use) a small 12" HDMI display as it's more portable.

post #8122 of 8340 Old 07-07-2014, 02:39 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
^^
Yes indeed. It EQ's them as well to a flat or slightly rolled off high frequency curve which is why it's so popular as an Auto EQ. You can use the front panel display, you just have to get close enough to read it. Some folks without a display prefer to purchase (or use) a small 12" HDMI display as it's more portable.
I don't like my projector to be on during calibration so I use the display on the receiver. It's not bad at all to use that.

post #8123 of 8340 Old 07-07-2014, 03:50 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
The Media Player outputs are just an analog recording output, it is a fixed (not variable) RCA pre-out.
We have tried to get audio output from the Media Player Outputs on two different X4000s, and failed. We tried various input sources, including the internal radio. We even tried a Zone 2 input source since that was an option with the AVR-3313. Still no cigar.

It was my impression that any source selected in Zone 1 would be delivered from these outputs (pp 130-131 of the X4000 manual). Any tips on how to get audio out of them?

Thank you!

--Dan in St. Louis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MediaPlayerOutputs.jpg (42.9 KB, 14 views)

---- Dan in Saint Louis
post #8124 of 8340 Old 07-07-2014, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 164
I've never tried to use the media player outputs Dan but I wonder if they are analog input/analog output only
post #8125 of 8340 Old 07-07-2014, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 948
I've honestly never tried it either. Historically, the REC OUT output was tied to the Zone 2 source selection and had the same restrictions (i.e. analog only) as Zone 2 output.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #8126 of 8340 Old 07-07-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
I've honestly never tried it either. Historically, the REC OUT output was tied to the Zone 2 source selection and had the same restrictions (i.e. analog only) as Zone 2 output.
Page 99 of the 3313 manual suggests that the function can be cycled back and forth between zones 1 and 2, and cites DVD and CBL/SAT as potential sources. To me that implied that digital sources could be accepted.

Surely there must be something simple I have overlooked. Thanks!

--Dan in St. Louis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RecOutMode.jpg (101.9 KB, 3 views)

---- Dan in Saint Louis
post #8127 of 8340 Old 07-07-2014, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Thanks. Also, as a reminder for those of you interested, we only have "3" X2000's left at clearance pricing.
What is your clearance pricing on the X2000's? Feel free to pm me.
post #8128 of 8340 Old 07-07-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in St. Louis View Post
Page 99 of the 3313 manual suggests that the function can be cycled back and forth between zones 1 and 2, and cites DVD and CBL/SAT as potential sources. To me that implied that digital sources could be accepted.
Update: took a break to eat dinner, and the symptoms changed. Now the "Media Player Outputs" (AKA "Record Out") will deliver analog OR digital (HD) FM radio, but not Internet Radio or HDMI SAT/CBL audio.

So despite the lack of comment in the manual, they may be "analog only" (and Denon is treating HDFM as analog).

We are trying to use these outputs to "clone" the audio from one X4000 to an input on another for a client who has two receivers creating 6 zones, but sometimes wants "the same music in every room." Who can think of another way to do it?

Thank you!

--Dan in St. Louis

---- Dan in Saint Louis
post #8129 of 8340 Old 07-07-2014, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 164
HEOS (if you have 30-45 days or so)
post #8130 of 8340 Old 07-07-2014, 10:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Talking Information Data on AVR-X1000

Is there anyway to enlarge the Information detail (speakers used, sound processor info, etc.) and to increase the time info is on the screen? At present, the detail for Information only lasts 2 seconds on my display and is too small.

I AM LOVING this receiver so far! Easy to use and configure and great sound.

Jim

Chad Billheimer rocks as a ISF Calibrator for Ohio.
Roller Coaster season is upon us. Proud member of American Coaster Enthusiasts (ACE) Woodies Rule!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2309ci Receiver , Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Denon , Denon Electronics , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Denon Avr E200 , Denon Avr E300 , Denon Avr E400 , Denon Avr X2000 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X3000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X1000 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page