The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 276 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8251 of 8275 Old 07-19-2014, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk76 View Post
Planning to buy Denon X4000 and could see it is for sale on Abe's of Maine website for $829. It says brand new with warranty. Wondering how come as everywhere else it's $1299. Anyone with any experience or comments on the risks there may be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't know anything about that store, but I've heard horror stories along the lines of what mdavej mentioned regarding a lot of shady outfits in NYC. I've mainly read about them with regards to camera equipment, but the deals with electronics are the same. They offer an amazing price, well below what others typically do, then try to hook you with accessories, or say that model is out of stock but offer the one above it, then give you the run around if you do place the order. It's an endless nightmare. This definitely falls in the realm of if it sounds too good to be true, then it isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
Apparently FedEx fixed my AVR, because Panurgy said they could't duplicate the complaint, cleaned up my AVR and sent it back without either of these problems (so far).

But... somehow my front left and right channels were now out of phase with each other. I know this wasn't the case before I sent the unit for repair, because my speaker cables are carefully color-coded, and I used the same test tracks (from a THX OptiMode DVD) to check this today as I used the last time I hooked up the AVR to the speakers. Anyway, I reversed the cables on one of the speakers, ran the phase test to make sure the five speakers were all in phase, and everything is working fine.

And miracle of miracles, I was able to reload my config file after only 3 tries
I reran Audyssey tonight since I added some stuff to the room and moved things around, and now it says my center is out of phase. I just ignored it. I ran the test twice and got the same error, and I don't know why it would think that. Had a similar issue with some other speakers where it often said the left was out of phase. I'm not sure what the deal is, but ignoring it seems fine.

Download my IR hex codes for the Denon AVR-4810ci and other Denon receivers here.
For Logitech Harmony support, ask Logitech for the Denon receiver in the account kmickunas.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8252 of 8275 Old 07-19-2014, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Mickunas View Post
I don't know anything about that store, but I've heard horror stories along the lines of what mdavej mentioned regarding a lot of shady outfits in NYC. I've mainly read about them with regards to camera equipment, but the deals with electronics are the same. They offer an amazing price, well below what others typically do, then try to hook you with accessories, or say that model is out of stock but offer the one above it, then give you the run around if you do place the order. It's an endless nightmare. This definitely falls in the realm of if it sounds too good to be true, then it isn't.

I reran Audyssey tonight since I added some stuff to the room and moved things around, and now it says my center is out of phase. I just ignored it. I ran the test twice and got the same error, and I don't know why it would think that. Had a similar issue with some other speakers where it often said the left was out of phase. I'm not sure what the deal is, but ignoring it seems fine.
I wouldn't buy from Abe's unless Denon lists them as an authorized dealer. I did buy a couple of cameras from them. They were an authorized dealer, and I had no trouble with bait & switch or anything else with the sale.

My x4000 phase issue was unrelated to Audyssey. I did the tests using test tones from a reliable test source. The front speakers were out of phase with each other after their round trip to Panurgy, but they were in phase before the trip and with all the cables connected the same.
post #8253 of 8275 Old 07-20-2014, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anybody give me any hints why my second zone isn't working?

I've purchased a refurbished AVR-X4000 so maybe it's defective but it's also possible I've configured something wrong.

Anyways, my second zone is just two speakers on my outside patio and I have them connected using the Surround Back L/R terminals. On the receiver, I've received "5.1ch + ZONE2" under Amp Assign. However, if I turn on Zone 2 and play anything it appears to be playing but I have no sound. I've verified that the speakers work because if I swap the primary Front L/R with my patio speakers it plays fine.

Do I have to configure anything else?
post #8254 of 8275 Old 07-20-2014, 06:47 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 1317
^^
Is the source you are playing stereo 2.0? Is the source HDMI, digital, or analog? If HDMI, do you have ALL ZONE STERO selected or HDMI audio (Zone 2) set to "PCM" (p. 194 Owner's manual)?

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #8255 of 8275 Old 07-20-2014, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
Is the source you are playing stereo 2.0? Is the source HDMI, digital, or analog? If HDMI, do you have ALL ZONE STERO selected or HDMI audio (Zone 2) set to "PCM" (p. 194 Owner's manual)?
I'm using the built-in DLNA Media Player to play an MP3 off my network drive, and I've tried the built-in SiriusXM client. I only have speakers attached to Zone 2 and I don't have any HDMI cables, etc.

In General/ZONE 2 setup, HDMI is set to Through and Channel is set to Stereo.

It seems like I'm missing something because I never told "Zone 2" to use "Surround Back L/R" ...
post #8256 of 8275 Old 07-20-2014, 07:04 PM
585-645-1006

^^
When AMP ASSIGN is set to "5.1 + Zone 2" the SBL/SBR speaker posts default to Zone 2. Power on Zone 2 using the remote and select the source you want to pass.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #8257 of 8275 Old 07-20-2014, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

I'm using the web interface since the receiver is in my basement and the speakers are outside on my patio. I've also used the official Denon iOS application.

I'm worried the receiver is defective because it sounds like I'm doing everything correctly...

Also, I just received the receiver about two weeks ago and I did multiple microprocessor resets as suggested in the FAQ because the unit was refurbished.
post #8258 of 8275 Old 07-20-2014, 07:28 PM
585-645-1006

^^
With the network source playing in the main zone, set Zone 2 to ON and to "Source" and if still no joy, it would seem you got a defective refurbished unit.

post #8259 of 8275 Old Yesterday, 03:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
No sound u nless CBL/SAT or TV turned on

OK, I have a starnge thing. I just changed my sat box, and now it seems that the Denon X4000 does not priduce any sound unless the box or my TV is turned on (one of them is sufficient).

I set my Denon to play radio, but no sound comes out unless one of these 2 is turned on.
I tried to turn on my Blue Ray but that has no effect,

There must be a setting somewhere I have missed

christian
post #8260 of 8275 Old Yesterday, 03:14 AM
585-645-1006

^^
This occurs with some TVs in the chain. First try a soft reset, but setting the X4000 to Standby and then unplugging the power cord for 10 minutes. Then try the radio. If still no joy, try disconnecting the cable box to see if that is the culprit. If yes, connect the cable box (HDMI) to the TV with cable box (optical) to the X4000.

post #8261 of 8275 Old Yesterday, 03:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofakng View Post

In General/ZONE 2 setup, HDMI is set to Through and Channel is set to Stereo.
Try changing the "through" setting to "pcm".
post #8262 of 8275 Old Yesterday, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sk76

Would definitely give AVS a call for Denon pricing. Purchased X4000 awhile back and received great price and great service!!
ambesolman likes this.
post #8263 of 8275 Old Yesterday, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
HI,

A newbie question. I purchased the x4000 recently and trying to set things up. I ran the audessey last night. Since i have the def tech fronts with the sub built in (and two dedicated subs), i was following instructions on page 1 of this thread to set the fronts from Large to small. The issue is i do not know where to set this to small? Also any recommendations for crossover? I have a 7.2 set up (two dedicated subs and not the ones from the def tech fronts).

Thanks in advance for the help!
post #8264 of 8275 Old Yesterday, 07:51 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Use the Setup - Speakers - Manual Setup to set the FL/FR to SMALL/60Hz or SMALL/80Hz whichever you prefer.

post #8265 of 8275 Old Yesterday, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Apologies if this is a redundant question, did a search but couldn't easily find an answer. I bought the X4000 as a temporary replacement for my AVP pre-amp that went off to the shop for repair. The plan is to move the 4000 to my second system when I get the AVP back. AVP went in becaue the center channel was having issues...

The 4000 is having similar issues, be it watching TV from my Shaw Arris PVR or watching my Roku & Netflix, the center channel from their dolbly digital feeds totally craps out. The dialog becomes totally inaudible. The only way to hear it is to switch the 4000 into stereo mode.

Anyone have an idea what may be the cause or remedy? Did I trip onto a defective 4000?
post #8266 of 8275 Old Yesterday, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks so much. Just one follow up question. DO i have to run audessey again after making this change? I assume NO but want to confirm. Thanks once again!
post #8267 of 8275 Old Yesterday, 09:02 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Correct. No you do not.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; Yesterday at 09:09 AM.
post #8268 of 8275 Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrgagne View Post
Apologies if this is a redundant question, did a search but couldn't easily find an answer. I bought the X4000 as a temporary replacement for my AVP pre-amp that went off to the shop for repair. The plan is to move the 4000 to my second system when I get the AVP back. AVP went in becaue the center channel was having issues...

The 4000 is having similar issues, be it watching TV from my Shaw Arris PVR or watching my Roku & Netflix, the center channel from their dolbly digital feeds totally craps out. The dialog becomes totally inaudible. The only way to hear it is to switch the 4000 into stereo mode.

Anyone have an idea what may be the cause or remedy? Did I trip onto a defective 4000?
Try swapping the FL and center speakers to see if the issue is the center speaker. If not, then reset the microprocessor (p. 225). And if still no joy, then exchange it.

post #8269 of 8275 Old Yesterday, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 36
first, thanks to jd for a good price, smooth transaction and speedy delivery.
the short question and one problem at a time : when selecting with the music button, ALL I EVER GET IS STEREO MODE, using my cable hookup at a source, so What am I missing?

thanks

THE BIG ROOM: Mitsy DLP 73837 Xbox1 PS3 slim Panny BD 220
Denon X4000 and Emotiva UPA7 for 9.2
Klipsch F3 FL/R, G-28 C, RB 51's, FW's , RS3II SBL/R, RC3II, SL/R, SLX-FH's
2 30" BF THTLP'S and SubMaximus and Inuke6000DSP
post #8270 of 8275 Old Yesterday, 12:00 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Press/hold the MOVIE or MUSIC buttons to get all the available surround modes. Also make sure your cable box is set to pass DD 5.1.

post #8271 of 8275 Old Yesterday, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by asarose247 View Post
when selecting with the music button, ALL I EVER GET IS STEREO MODE, using my cable hookup at a source, so What am I missing?

thanks
Hi asarose, try holding down the Music button and it will pop up with additonal option.
post #8272 of 8275 Old Yesterday, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 921
@asarose247 -- See also here: http://batpigworld.com/wp/?p=150

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #8273 of 8275 Old Yesterday, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 36
thank you, jd, batpig and Jchin
as I figured, the problem is . . . me
here is a "I wonder what would happen wrt optimization . . .

I use Sub 1 out to feed 1 channel of my Inuke6000 running the SubMaximis, I've got some DSP eq done there but it needs re-checking wrt the new X4000
Sub 2 is split, one leg feeds a signal to a BASH 300 running the 2 Clark shakers on my couch and the other leg feeds a BASH 300 pushing a 30" THTLP

I can run the Sub EQ and turn things on/off so the system can do the best work for each sub and then I suppose, run it again with them both on.
this is a which came first chicken or egg ? and each room and setup is different but anyone with any such back and forth experience is invited to speak up and put their .02 in

curious to hear what's been discovered . . .

thanks

addendum : some other info
Until I can wire the 2 THTLP's together (yes there is a second one) in a series parallel config to run off the other channel of the Inuke (at 8ohms I can still get about 1K to drive both and no they will not be co-located, it just more wire as my entire room is 14+ x 28 and total volume is 5Kft^3 . Too much just might be enough.

THE BIG ROOM: Mitsy DLP 73837 Xbox1 PS3 slim Panny BD 220
Denon X4000 and Emotiva UPA7 for 9.2
Klipsch F3 FL/R, G-28 C, RB 51's, FW's , RS3II SBL/R, RC3II, SL/R, SLX-FH's
2 30" BF THTLP'S and SubMaximus and Inuke6000DSP
post #8274 of 8275 Old Today, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

OK - So I was able to get "5.1ch + ZONE 3" but for some reason if I use "5.1ch + ZONE 2", I don't get any audio from the speakers. (I also tested setting Amp Assign to 7.1 and the SBL/SBR also worked fine with the test tones, etc)

Any idea what could be causing zone 2 to not work?

It doesn't matter because I can just use zone 3 instead of zone 2, but I'm still worried about the possibility of my receiver being defective.
post #8275 of 8275 Old Today, 05:23 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JZ50 View Post
Sk76

Would definitely give AVS a call for Denon pricing. Purchased X4000 awhile back and received great price and great service!!

Can you share the price if it's ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2309ci Receiver , Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Denon , Denon Electronics , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Denon Avr E200 , Denon Avr E300 , Denon Avr E400 , Denon Avr X2000 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X3000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X1000 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page