The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 278 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8311 of 8340 Old 07-26-2014, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 44
KuroX;
Pretty much the same problem I'm having with the 4000, I am going to try one more full reset, and if that doesn't work it's going back. The irony is I bought this unit to fill in while my AVP-A1HDCi pre-amp is in the shop for the same thing. It had no problems until a year after upgrading the HDMI board for XT32 & 3D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8312 of 8340 Old 07-26-2014, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzaur View Post
Hmm just read great reviews about the Pioneer SP-BS22 and found someone's impedance measurements here which show that they are pretty easy speakers to drive. Maybe I'll get those then Tough choices!
Just get the ones that sound the best to you. You receiver will drive them. Those "valleys" in the impedance graph are at narrow frequency ranges so they are not likely to ever become a problem to you. The high peak-to-average ratio in music works in your favor also -- if you were playing music with 100 watt peaks, the average would likely be in the range of 1 to 10 watts.

Even those pretty graphs don't really show what your receiver has to drive. The reactance (a measure of the phase shift between voltage and current) of speakers varies as wildly as the absolute magnitude of the impedance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 906JBLfig1.jpg (32.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 1207AEnfig1.jpg (32.6 KB, 5 views)
mzaur likes this.

---- Dan in Saint Louis
post #8313 of 8340 Old 07-26-2014, 10:32 AM

OUCH! The message preview never went away so I thought this had not been posted. Sorry about that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzaur View Post
Hmm just read great reviews about the Pioneer SP-BS22 and found someone's impedance measurements here which show that they are pretty easy speakers to drive. Maybe I'll get those then Tough choices!
Just get the ones that sound the best to you. You receiver will drive them. Those "valleys" in the impedance graph are in narrow frequency ranges so they are not likely to ever become a problem to you. The high peak-to-average ratio in music works in your favor also -- if you were playing music with 100 watt peaks, the average would likely be in the range of 1 to 10 watts, and it won't all be at a single frequency.

Even those pretty graphs don't really show what your receiver has to drive. The reactance (a measure of the phase shift between voltage and current) of speakers varies as wildly as the absolute magnitude of the impedance.

---- Dan in Saint Louis

Last edited by Dan in St. Louis; 07-26-2014 at 10:33 AM. Reason: message preview remained on screen
post #8314 of 8340 Old 07-26-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in St. Louis View Post
I'm curious about the technology inside my X4000. Are the power amps historical Class AB bipolar transistors, FETs in an analog configuration, or some mode of switching amp?

Has Denon released any papers about their design?

Thank you!
Any news on this? Thank you!

---- Dan in Saint Louis
post #8315 of 8340 Old 07-26-2014, 10:48 AM

Trigger1/Trigger2

I think the Owners Manual for the X4000 is not quite clear about activating the Trigger outputs. If, for example, you select "Zone 2" and "DVD" then the trigger signal is turned on whenever the DVD input is selected in Zone 2.

However, if ALL of the Zones and Sources are set to "---" (defined on p195 as "Do not activate trigger on this mode) both Trigger outputs turn on as soon as the receiver is powered up. One would expect them to be "not activated."

Fortunately there is a workaround. We wanted the ability to turn the trigger signals on and off by remote control using the published IP protocol. We found that of we set to "ON" a Zone/Input combination that we would never actually use, the commanded changes do work as expected.

---- Dan in Saint Louis
post #8316 of 8340 Old 07-26-2014, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrgagne View Post
KuroX;
Pretty much the same problem I'm having with the 4000, I am going to try one more full reset, and if that doesn't work it's going back. The irony is I bought this unit to fill in while my AVP-A1HDCi pre-amp is in the shop for the same thing. It had no problems until a year after upgrading the HDMI board for XT32 & 3D.
That's...incredibly disheartening. Might have to get back on the Onkyo wagon. At least I know it's happened to somebody else now, thanks for replying. Awful your pre-amp did the same thing.
post #8317 of 8340 Old 07-26-2014, 12:41 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 1332
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuroX View Post
That's...incredibly disheartening. Might have to get back on the Onkyo wagon. At least I know it's happened to somebody else now, thanks for replying. Awful your pre-amp did the same thing.

Hmm ...a few center channel issues vs. thousands of HDMI board issues. Makes sense.
post #8318 of 8340 Old 07-26-2014, 02:30 PM

Liked: 10
Is the x4000 better than a 2311?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8319 of 8340 Old 07-26-2014, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 948
So much.
ambesolman likes this.
post #8320 of 8340 Old 07-26-2014, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Guys... my AVR-X3000 got hit by a power surge when lightning hit our house... it powers on and responds to the remote fine but there's no output to a tv and no sound. Is that a board of some sort that likely needs replacing or something else?
I've already bought a replacement but I hate to just throw it away... Any idea what fixing it might would cost?

Thanks!!
post #8321 of 8340 Old 07-26-2014, 05:34 PM
585-645-1006

^^
About $450.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #8322 of 8340 Old 07-26-2014, 05:37 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesP1701 View Post
Is the x4000 better than a 2311?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not only does it use the much more advanced XT32, but it has many more features as well. Review post #2 of this thread for more information on the X4000.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #8323 of 8340 Old Yesterday, 04:07 AM

AVR-X2000 Popping Noise

I have an AVR-X2000 and have encountered an issue that I hope someone here might be able to help me with.

When I first turn the unit on, or switch to another source, there is an intermittent popping noise coming from the sub. It happens a few times then stops. Sometimes it doesn't happen at all.

I have searched this thread and couldn't find a specific reference to this kind of issue, although I have tried the obvious fixes (soft/hard reset, firmware update, reconfiguration) but the problem is still there. The firmware update seems to improve matters a little.

Anyone got any ideas?
post #8324 of 8340 Old Yesterday, 04:10 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prunkiachi View Post
I have an AVR-X2000 and have encountered an issue that I hope someone here might be able to help me with.

When I first turn the unit on, or switch to another source, there is an intermittent popping noise coming from the sub. It happens a few times then stops. Sometimes it doesn't happen at all.

I have searched this thread and couldn't find a specific reference to this kind of issue, although I have tried the obvious fixes (soft/hard reset, firmware update, reconfiguration) but the problem is still there. The firmware update seems to improve matters a little.

Anyone got any ideas?
Simply the amps going on/off ... normal sounds.

post #8325 of 8340 Old Yesterday, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Simply the amps going on/off ... normal sounds.
Thanks for such a quick response...

I really hope that the explanation is that simple. Sometimes the popping can happen a few minutes into something playing in 5.1, so i would have thought than the amps would all be going full tilt by that stage.

Or am I looking for a problem where there really isn't one?
post #8326 of 8340 Old Yesterday, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 196
If Denon comes out with pre-pro 7.2.4 with XLR inputs/outputs, I'll bite.
post #8327 of 8340 Old Yesterday, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuroX View Post
Just did a processor reset, tried to run Audyssey. Right away I noticed the ping level of the center channel was way off. So I cancelled Audyssey, ran it in stereo and connected my cc speaker to the right speaker output and it worked perfect so I eliminated the speaker as the problem.
Connected it back and I ran the internal test tones, and the CC was not only significantly lower than the rest but if I raised its' level it started to distort badly.
It has to be the actual amp for that channel, going to box it up and take it back.
post #8328 of 8340 Old Yesterday, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Hello, Just want to make sure this is correct before i purchase external amp. Denon X4000 can do 7.2 without external amp and then 9.2 in 1 room with extra amp for at least 2 channels. I do have a chance to buy Emotiva UPA-500 so I can hooked up 5 main channels with extra amp and then run 4 others from AVR correct?

Thanks

Denon X4000
Klipsch RF-82II's , RC-62II , RS-52II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
PS3,Mac mini
Sony KDF-60XS955
post #8329 of 8340 Old Yesterday, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I just got an x2000 to replace an aging Pioneer Elite with only 2 HDMI inputs. I think the Elite sounded a bit better, but it cost a lot more.

Is it possible to assign different "processing" to each input...such as Dolby digital for the cable input and say, Dolby Pro Logic IIx for the network (Pandora) input?

Pioneer has a setting called "ext. Stereo" which plays 2 channel as 5 channel, nice for background music occasionally; and you can assign it permanently to an input.

Can't seem to find how to do this in the Denon manual or in the setup screens.

Just wondering if one can do this.

Thanks.

Robert
post #8330 of 8340 Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

One more question now I have 5.2 set up 9.2 will be added later on. If I will get UPA-500 for main 5 channels and add 2 more speakers and run them from AVR how much watts DenonX4000 will send out if only 2 surrounds speakers are connected to AVR amp?
Thanks

Denon X4000
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
PS3,Mac mini
Sony KDF-60XS955
post #8331 of 8340 Old Yesterday, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 56
The Denon will remember which sound mode you are using per input, so there's no reason to permanently assign it.

Download my IR hex codes for the Denon AVR-4810ci and other Denon receivers here.
For Logitech Harmony support, ask Logitech for the Denon receiver in the account kmickunas.

post #8332 of 8340 Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

retro124, you should be able to route the channels as you've suggested using an external amp. The 2 channel specs will be slightly better than the all channel specs that are listed on the Denon site, they mention maximum power per channel of 235w, perhaps that will give you some idea.

The UPA-500 is technically rated less than the x4000, but I would imagine the Emotiva quoted specs are more accurate. However you might be better served with a UPA-200 for your main channels and then running the rest off the receiver. This would improve stereo only music, as well as provide more power to the mains during movies. The XPA-200 for just a bit more would also be another option to consider.

Download my IR hex codes for the Denon AVR-4810ci and other Denon receivers here.
For Logitech Harmony support, ask Logitech for the Denon receiver in the account kmickunas.

post #8333 of 8340 Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Mickunas View Post
retro124, you should be able to route the channels as you've suggested using an external amp. The 2 channel specs will be slightly better than the all channel specs that are listed on the Denon site, they mention maximum power per channel of 235w, perhaps that will give you some idea.

The UPA-500 is technically rated less than the x4000, but I would imagine the Emotiva quoted specs are more accurate. However you might be better served with a UPA-200 for your main channels and then running the rest off the receiver. This would improve stereo only music, as well as provide more power to the mains during movies. The XPA-200 for just a bit more would also be another option to consider.
Thanks , I'm just trying to figure out what will be the best to add 9.2 set up. XPA-200 sounds good so it is maybe way t go or how about XPA3?

Denon X4000
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
PS3,Mac mini
Sony KDF-60XS955
post #8334 of 8340 Old Yesterday, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prunkiachi View Post
Thanks for such a quick response...

I really hope that the explanation is that simple. Sometimes the popping can happen a few minutes into something playing in 5.1, so i would have thought than the amps would all be going full tilt by that stage.

Or am I looking for a problem where there really isn't one?
FWIW, I don't want to contradict JD but, my sub doesn't pop and I have the 2000. My sub turns on when needed and it makes a slight pop when it comes off of standby but, other than that there is no popping.

Edit: I'll take that back, it's a click when the subs amp kicks in, not a pop.

Last edited by ferl; Yesterday at 02:21 PM.
post #8335 of 8340 Old Yesterday, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSanRamon View Post
I just got an x2000 to replace an aging Pioneer Elite with only 2 HDMI inputs. I think the Elite sounded a bit better, but it cost a lot more.

Is it possible to assign different "processing" to each input...such as Dolby digital for the cable input and say, Dolby Pro Logic IIx for the network (Pandora) input?

Can't seem to find how to do this in the Denon manual or in the setup screens.

Just wondering if one can do this.
Hi MrSanRamon, press and hold Movie, Music or Game button will display a list of sound modes that can be selected. (page 100 in OM).
post #8336 of 8340 Old Yesterday, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post
Thanks , I'm just trying to figure out what will be the best to add 9.2 set up. XPA-200 sounds good so it is maybe way t go or how about XPA3?
An XPA-3 would be a great choice. If you have the budget the Emotiva X series are always preferable to the U series. Frankly I'm not sure why anyone would want the UPA-500 as it's rather low power. Regardless of which you choose you should be able to pull off the configuration you want.

BTW, are you aware of the sale Emotiva has going on right now? If you join their club, which costs $50 a year or something like that, you get 20% off during July.

post #8337 of 8340 Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Mickunas View Post
An XPA-3 would be a great choice. If you have the budget the Emotiva X series are always preferable to the U series. Frankly I'm not sure why anyone would want the UPA-500 as it's rather low power. Regardless of which you choose you should be able to pull off the configuration you want.

BTW, are you aware of the sale Emotiva has going on right now? If you join their club, which costs $50 a year or something like that, you get 20% off during July.
Yes thanks I know about discount time so it is why I'm trying to find out what to do. I had same felling about it, X series will fit better, I already denied offer for UPA-500, and up seller want to cover even shipping and also Paypal fee so I give up.

Denon X4000
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
PS3,Mac mini
Sony KDF-60XS955
post #8338 of 8340 Old Yesterday, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Hopefully I'm not developing an issue.

Just sitting here watching tv and the X4000 shut off with a blinking red light. Powered back up fine. Had it since late Dec and its been fine so far. I did a processor reset when I first got it, then recently before I reran audyssey.

Should not be a wire issue because it is only working as a preamp for my outlaw amp.
I had the same problem (bought it in 1/14). I sent it back to Panurgy, and they returned it, saying they could not duplicate my complaint. It's been back for a week and works normally. Also, before I shipped it, I had a problem that started a week or two previously with a loud POP noise through the speakers on shutdown. That's gone, too.
gadgtfreek likes this.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #8339 of 8340 Old Yesterday, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I ran auddessy yesterday and current have no sub in my system(cause I blew it).

I turn the volume up to -20 and I noticed a hiss that I didn't hear before. The louder I turn the volume the louder it gets. This hiss is only noticeable aver -20. Whenwatching a movie on a quiet talking part I can hear it and its driving me crazy. I could be wrong but I didn't think I heard this noise before.

Last time I heard something like this is was a ground loop issue but that was more like a Buzzz noise coming from my amp out of my sub. This is more like white noise.

I tried playing around with my source to make sure it was not the source or the hdmi cable. Even with no source plugged into the HDMI, when its selected and the volume is turned up the noise is audible.
post #8340 of 8340 Old Yesterday, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrgagne View Post
Just did a processor reset, tried to run Audyssey. Right away I noticed the ping level of the center channel was way off. So I cancelled Audyssey, ran it in stereo and connected my cc speaker to the right speaker output and it worked perfect so I eliminated the speaker as the problem.
Connected it back and I ran the internal test tones, and the CC was not only significantly lower than the rest but if I raised its' level it started to distort badly.
It has to be the actual amp for that channel, going to box it up and take it back.
Yea, thats exactly how my Audyssey treated the center, high distortion. Maybe I'll get lucky with the next model.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2309ci Receiver , Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Denon , Denon Electronics , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Denon Avr E200 , Denon Avr E300 , Denon Avr E400 , Denon Avr X2000 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X3000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X1000 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page