The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 283 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8461 of 8914 Old 08-06-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Ah yes ... you're not the first, nor certainly not the last to have hidden sources and then forgotten about it.
raises hand

Made that same kind of mistake myself.

Also sort of relevant if you re-route audio inputs separate from the video. I seem to recall doing this to get TV app audio back in when some HDMI-CEC confusion was involved...

Sometimes the most effective way to configure a gizmo is to nuke it's settings entirely back to factory values...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8462 of 8914 Old 08-06-2014, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95whtgst View Post
Well - turns out the network/internet radio stuff was user error/stupidity. I had chosen to "hide" those inputs and therefore couldn't select them. As far as the low frequencies, I know the speakers can play them well (heard the receiver with the same speakers in another house). Our best thought at this point was that due to the positioning of the speakers, the ports on the back are firing out into open space/hallways. I don't have a solid surface behind them.
As 95's friend who demo'd the E300+Infinity Beta 40 combo at my place in a two-speaker basement setup (hi Brian!), I found something confusing when I tried to help him set his up. My 3-year old AVR-1912 (my main HT receiver) has separate settings for subwoofer activation in movie mode and stereo mode, but I can't find any such settings in the E300 - if you have the sub enabled for HT, it appears it is force-enabled for stereo music, and that you have to manually enable/disable it if you only want your stereo to be L/R only. Am I missing something? I realize the E300 is technically more entry-level, but that seems like a basic setting for those of us with HT-oriented subs and decent tower speakers.

TL;DR: Is there a setting on the E300 to make multichannel sources 5.1 but stereo sources 2.0?
edit2: Looks like the X1000 I returned my E300 for also doesn't have this setting. Now I'm thoroughly confused since that's in the "high-end" line.

Last edited by drtwofish; 08-06-2014 at 12:38 PM. Reason: TLDR
post #8463 of 8914 Old 08-06-2014, 01:23 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked: 1508
^^
The custom 2CH Stereo setting feature on your 1912 was dropped on all but the 3313CI in 2012 and only available on the Front B speakers on the X4000, so no, not available on the E300 or X1000.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #8464 of 8914 Old 08-06-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
^^
The custom 2CH Stereo setting feature on your 1912 was dropped on all but the 3313CI in 2012 and only available on the Front B speakers on the X4000, so no, not available on the E300 or X1000.
Dang! Any idea why they did that? Seems like a pretty basic (and critical) feature for people who like both movies and music.
post #8465 of 8914 Old 08-06-2014, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pec82 View Post
I would try the following for a test at one of the sites that has the most problems: Eliminate the ASUS from the equation by placing an Ethernet switch in front of the ASUS and connecting the X4000 to the switch rather than the ASUS AP.

-pierce
GMTA! I tried that yesterday. I found a Gigabit Ethernet switch (Netgear GS605v4) on the shelf and cabled the X4000 directly to it, and the switch directly to the U-verse Residential Gateway.

Same symptoms.

I spent some time and narrowed it down somewhat:

1) The symptoms are replicable. Any time the X4000 Ethernet cable is removed, even if the last source selected did NOT need Internet access and the receiver is on red-light standby, its connection to the Internet will not be recovered when reconnected (but to the LAN will).

2) If instead the cable from the Internet to the switch is disconnected, the receiver WILL recover Internet access when powered on again.

Apparently the traffic between the switch and the other devices using it (Apple TV, Global Cache GC100) is enough to keep the connection alive if the Ethernet cable is not unplugged from the receiver.

What I cannot explain (but would love to learn) is why only the Internet connection fails to recover -- the LAN connection returns with no user intervention, as evidenced by our ability to continue to use iRule and IP commands to control the X4000.

NOW I have something replicable I can present to Denon.

---- Dan in Saint Louis
post #8466 of 8914 Old 08-06-2014, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 1252
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtwofish View Post
Dang! Any idea why they did that? Seems like a pretty basic (and critical) feature for people who like both movies and music.
I think Denon felt it was not "critical" per se. Probably most people buy these units (especially the lower end models) for home theater and don't have speakers really capable of full range (2.0) stereo performance. And, in theory, why would you want different bass management for 2ch music vs. movies? If your speakers sound best crossed over to the subwoofer at 60Hz, it should be true regardless of what content you are playing. (just being devil's advocate here).

You could always use DIRECT mode which will engage 2.0 stereo listening but of course you lose Audyssey EQ. If you are OK with that tradeoff then just go that route.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8467 of 8914 Old 08-06-2014, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader424242 View Post
On a handful of occasions, I have observed a similar phenomenon with my X4000. There have been a few times where, when the BD is searching (like when it changes features), the HDMI handshake is lost for a second before re-establishing itself. I can tell because my display will show when there is no video signal via the OSD. Note that this is not repeatable (I "rewind" and repeat the same process, with no ill effects). I had assumed that it was because of the 50' HMDI cable (w/ redmere), not the AVR. Other times, I have had to power cycle the BD player to get the handshake back. Just last night, I was loading a BD, and I lost both the display and sound during the intro trailer (in my case, it went completely blank - no "Denon" logo), but switching inputs and then back again got me back in business. Since this happens intermittently, I cannot be sure which component is responsible (AVR, BD Player, Display, cable) since they all must play nicely together. I doubt is is anything beyond the idiosyncrasies of HDMI (why could they not have just stuck with component? - rock solid), or just the fact that is is a computer (which will get confused from time to time - they all do), but if I can get a repeatable pattern I will investigate further.
Thanks for the reply.

So far I've only had two occurrences like this that I can recall - I suspect a HDMI cable was not sitting in its input quite properly and hopefully the problem is now fixed.

In your case my guess would be is likely the long cable though I have no experience/knowledge of such cables. Perhaps worth starting a new thread to see if others have had similar experiences...
post #8468 of 8914 Old 08-06-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
I think Denon felt it was not "critical" per se. Probably most people buy these units (especially the lower end models) for home theater and don't have speakers really capable of full range (2.0) stereo performance. And, in theory, why would you want different bass management for 2ch music vs. movies? If your speakers sound best crossed over to the subwoofer at 60Hz, it should be true regardless of what content you are playing. (just being devil's advocate here).
In theory, yes, but... In my particular setup my towers are Infinity Beta 50s with 2 8" woofers each; with decent power they can easily reproduce music with tight, nicely balanced bass for all but seriously bass-heavy stuff. Of course, they can't go low enough to give a good dinosaur stomp or explosion rumble, so I have a Polk PSW505 12" sub. It's quite good at rumble but isn't nearly as musical as a more expensive sub, so I much prefer the majority of my music on the two Infinitys alone. Probably not a typical setup, but I don't really understand what it would have cost Denon to leave that option in.

Quote:
You could always use DIRECT mode which will engage 2.0 stereo listening but of course you lose Audyssey EQ. If you are OK with that tradeoff then just go that route.
Yeah, Audyssey is one of the reason I bought these, so I don't want to lose that - the EQ tuning definitely improves the sound and DIRECT doesn't sound particularly good.

Thanks for the reply - I appreciate all you do with these threads!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	200393  
post #8469 of 8914 Old 08-06-2014, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Had to do a microprocessor reset on my x4000. The Save/Load won't appear in IE or Firefox. I don't have the broken square in the address window for Compatibility mode OR have the toolbar with the Tools drop down menus. How do I get these options to reappear so I can either enable or disable comparability mode when needed?
post #8470 of 8914 Old 08-06-2014, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Hello guys, I'm looking for right RCA cables to connected my AVR and Emotiva XPA3 can I use those?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Cavok8f...cv-4-feet.html

I know they are components video but just want to ask you if they are ok for AVR to amp connection, thanks.

Denon X4000
Klipsch RF-82II's , RC-62II , RS-52II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Emotiva XPA-3
Sony KDF-60XS955
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
post #8471 of 8914 Old 08-07-2014, 04:32 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Yes, you can use video cables for audio applications.
retro124 likes this.

"JD" –
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

post #8472 of 8914 Old 08-07-2014, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Hi all,
Looking for a recommendation for an IR Extender Cable that works with the x4000. Compared to my previous Onkyo (which sat in the exact same location) the IR sensitivity of this AVR is much more lacking. My primary listening location is directly in front of the AVR but more than 20 feet away. I use a URC MX-890 remote that has pretty strong emitters. However I still have to extend my arm and point *DIRECTLY* at the x4000 for it to register an IR command. All of my other components in the rack can register IR commands from the remote even with bouncing the command off the back wall and to the rack.

So I tried this IR extender from Monoprice which may not have worked because of the stereo tip, so I also tried using the extender with a stereo to mono tip, also from Monoprice. Both instance the AVR would not accept an IR command from this IR extender.

I really do not want to got RF -> IR setup if I don't have to. I'd just like to find an IR Extender that will plug in to the RC IR In 3.5mm on this AVR and call it a day... If such thing exists.

Thanks all...
post #8473 of 8914 Old 08-07-2014, 11:03 AM
585-645-1006

With the new 2014 models slowly being released, we (AVScience) are quickly running out of inventory of the 2013 models. As it stands now, the only 2013 model available is the X4000 which should still be available until October.

"JD" –

post #8474 of 8914 Old 08-07-2014, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
Had to do a microprocessor reset on my x4000. The Save/Load won't appear in IE or Firefox. I don't have the broken square in the address window for Compatibility mode OR have the toolbar with the Tools drop down menus. How do I get these options to reappear so I can either enable or disable comparability mode when needed?

Bump
ferl likes this.
post #8475 of 8914 Old 08-07-2014, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ambesolman,when I made a backup I had to use Chrome. IE and Firefox wouldn't work for me.
post #8476 of 8914 Old 08-07-2014, 11:55 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
This information is provided in posts #4 and #5 of this thread. Review posts #3 and #6 also for additional helpful information.

"JD" –

post #8477 of 8914 Old 08-07-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
This information is provided in posts #4 and #5 of this thread. Review posts #3 and #6 also for additional helpful information.

None of that was the issue I was having. I've saved and reloaded numerous times. My problem was that the options for changing the compatibility mode (broken square and Tools drop down menu) are not present in either browser. I checked the FAQs before hand and my problem wasn't in there, that's why I asked. How do I get the TOOLBAR back?
post #8478 of 8914 Old 08-07-2014, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
None of that was the issue I was having. I've saved and reloaded numerous times. My problem was that the options for changing the compatibility mode (broken square and Tools drop down menu) are not present in either browser. I checked the FAQs before hand and my problem wasn't in there, that's why I asked. How do I get the TOOLBAR back?
Try typing in the address in post #4 for Load/Save menu, that's what I had to do.
The FAQ should really redirect to post #4 and it should highlight the process of typing in the address. I'm wondering if newer versions of IE just won't allow access to these at all or something. I was trying Chrome and IE and having no luck until I typed the address in directly.

Download my IR hex codes for the Denon AVR-4810ci and other Denon receivers
For Logitech Harmony support, ask Logitech for the Denon receiver in the account kmickunas.

post #8479 of 8914 Old 08-07-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Tools drop down menu
That sounds like you means the Tools menu of the Web browser. That step would depend on exactly what browser and browser version you mean, but is generally found on the browser's "View" menu.

As I recall, "script blockers" and "ad blockers" can also interfere with the setup menus.

---- Dan in Saint Louis
post #8480 of 8914 Old 08-07-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in St. Louis View Post
That sounds like you means the Tools menu of the Web browser. That step would depend on exactly what browser and browser version you mean, but is generally found on the browser's "View" menu.

As I recall, "script blockers" and "ad blockers" can also interfere with the setup menus.

YES! My fault for not being clearer about that. How do I get the toolbar back in IE and Firefox?
post #8481 of 8914 Old 08-07-2014, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

The suggestion is for IE 10 and higher to select Tools->Compatibility, but that did nothing for me in IE11. Manually typing the address was the best I could get.

Post #2775 probably is the best way to go about it with newer browsers. I'd link to it, but apparently linking to posts is busted as it takes you to a page, and if your number of posts per pages is different the links are messed up.

Download my IR hex codes for the Denon AVR-4810ci and other Denon receivers
For Logitech Harmony support, ask Logitech for the Denon receiver in the account kmickunas.

post #8482 of 8914 Old 08-07-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
YES! My fault for not being clearer about that. How do I get the toolbar back in IE and Firefox?
I can only speak about Firefox because IE has so many incompatibilities that I rarely use it.

From the Firefox menus, "View > Toolbars" and select which ones you want. If your Menu Bar is gone too, right-click under the "-" icon for minimizing, and make your selection there.
ambesolman likes this.

---- Dan in Saint Louis
post #8483 of 8914 Old 08-07-2014, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I can only speak about Firefox because IE has so many incompatibilities that I rarely use it.

From the Firefox menus, "View > Toolbars" and select which ones you want. If your Menu Bar is gone too, right-click under the "-" icon for minimizing, and make your selection there.

Thanks dan!
post #8484 of 8914 Old 08-07-2014, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
If you have a subwoofer and go into DIRECT mode for 2-channel listening, don't you end up with doubled bass (using the x4000)?

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #8485 of 8914 Old 08-07-2014, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 1252
Not unless you have LFE+MAIN set.
post #8486 of 8914 Old 08-08-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Does anyone have any new information on the "No Network Connection" error on the X4000? It seems that any interruption of the connection to the local network, even if the X4000 is in "Standby," results in this message if one later attempts to listen to Internet Radio.
OK, I was able to replicate the problem, and wrote to Denon, who claim the problem must be with my network because they can switch Ethernet cables in their lab with no problems.

So -- I'd like to find out if other owners of Denon receivers having Internet Radio capability can also replicate the problem before I write to Denon again. Would some of you mind spending five minutes executing these steps, and report back what happens?

1) Connect a Denon X4000 or similar to the Internet, select Internet Radio, and play a station.

2) Turn the receiver “off” to the "red light" standby condition.

3) Pull the Ethernet cable from the back of the receiver

4) Wait five minutes.

5) Reconnect the Ethernet cable and turn the receiver back on.

6) Select Internet Radio again and tune a station.

Thank you!

---- Dan in Saint Louis
post #8487 of 8914 Old 08-08-2014, 01:17 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Did as requested. X4000 reconnected with no issues.

"JD" –

post #8488 of 8914 Old 08-08-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Just 5 minutes, or is more OK? I can test how my X3000 handles it.

Any specific Internet Radio station you'd like us to try? Might as well aim for being as repeatable as possible...
post #8489 of 8914 Old 08-08-2014, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi All,
I just bought a X4000, and I'm pumped! I'll be running it in conjunction with 4 sonos amp for music distribution. For speakers I'll be using Def Tech (old School) bp8b fronts an 2002 center along w/ bipolar rears from def tech as well. I'm excited to read through the 8000+ posts but any quick tips and points that will help me in the interim would be appreciated.
Thanks
post #8490 of 8914 Old 08-08-2014, 04:20 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Review posts #3-6 of this thread.

"JD" –

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2309ci Receiver , Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Denon , Denon Electronics , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Denon Avr E200 , Denon Avr E300 , Denon Avr E400 , Denon Avr X2000 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X3000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X1000 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page