The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 286 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8551 of 8707 Old 08-13-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate_ed View Post
Hey folks,

Been enjoying my X4000 in my home theater since I got it from AVS a few months ago. But, there's one thing going on with it that I'm having trouble understanding.

I've found that, even though I don't have the volume limit set, it will never allow me to go above -6. When I try to turn it up beyone that, it will flash -5 on the display and then immediately go back to -6. It doesn't trip or give any indication that it is overheating, it just won't physically let me go beyond that, even though the manual indicates the top of the range should go to +18.

Now, I rarely go much above -10 with the setup that I have, but it has proven a bit of an annoyance when I really want to crank it. Is my receiver going into some kind of protection mode? I have been through the manual several times but I can't find something that would explain this behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
If this is using Airplay to stream from an iPhone, then normal, otherwise if with all sources, try a soft reset (unplug power cord for 10 minutes).

Yeah it's annoying, but I've found a couple of workarounds...

1) if you have an airport express, you can play through that without any limitation. You won't get the onscreen info though. Plus you can also stream through its wireless signal even if your internet goes out.

2) using the DeRemote app doesn't have this limitation but tops at "0". Has tons of other controls as well and worth the $5 IMO.

Hope this helps[emoji41]
ultimate_ed likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8552 of 8707 Old 08-13-2014, 02:21 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 1415
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscolo View Post
I'm getting ready to add an amp to my Denon AVR-x1000 to drive my zone 2 speakers on the porch (2 polk patio200's, same as atrium 5's). I've seen recommended here for this purpose is the AudioSource amp100. I'm prepared to buy the amp100 today. First, a few questions:

Is there anything as good and cheaper than the amp100? I see these $30 - $50 miniamps. Don't know anything about 'em. I like the small size. Is there one of these miniamps that would work as well as the Amp100?

Looks like the Amp100 automatically shuts off and turns on when it detects a signal. I could see that being a huge advantage on a Zone 2 amp. Unless there is a long pause in the music. Anyone know how long a pause before the amp100 shuts off?

The Amp100 is $140 new on Amazon. It's $106 for a refurb from Amazon Warehouse. Any reason not to get the refurb?

Thanks.
Yes, the AMP 100 is a good choice, although it normally sells for $100 most of the year so not sure the reason for the sudden upsurge in price.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #8553 of 8707 Old 08-13-2014, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
If this is using Airplay to stream from an iPhone, then normal, otherwise if with all sources, try a soft reset (unplug power cord for 10 minutes).
Now that you mention it, it has been during Airplay streaming when I've found myself hitting that volume level. I've not gone that high when watching a Blu-ray.

Did I miss that somewhere in the manual? Seems an oddly particular limitation.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
post #8554 of 8707 Old 08-13-2014, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I am just about to pull the trigger on a x4000, I would like to run two satellites and a svs sb-1000 sub on zone two. As the receiver has no sub pre out for zone 2 the only possible way I can see to do this (apart from buying another amp) is to run zone two speaker out to the high level speaker level input on the sub and then on to the satellites from there.

Would this work with zone 2 on the x4000 and if so how do you think the sound quality would compare to having a cheap secondary amp with sub pre out to run zone 2?

Appreciate the help.
Thanks
post #8555 of 8707 Old 08-13-2014, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by avkiller View Post
Hi,

I am just about to pull the trigger on a x4000, I would like to run two satellites and a svs sb-1000 sub on zone two. As the receiver has no sub pre out for zone 2 the only possible way I can see to do this (apart from buying another amp) is to run zone two speaker out to the high level speaker level input on the sub and then on to the satellites from there.

Would this work with zone 2 on the x4000 and if so how do you think the sound quality would compare to having a cheap secondary amp with sub pre out to run zone 2?

Appreciate the help.
Thanks
That method will work fine, and it's specifically the point of having high level (speaker wire) inputs/outputs on the subwoofer. That's how subs integrate with basic 2ch stereo setups without formal digital bass management capabilities -- which is basically what Zone 2 is.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #8556 of 8707 Old 08-13-2014, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate_ed View Post
Now that you mention it, it has been during Airplay streaming when I've found myself hitting that volume level. I've not gone that high when watching a Blu-ray.

Did I miss that somewhere in the manual? Seems an oddly particular limitation.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
It's not mentioned in the manual AFAIK but I don't think it's an AVR restriction per se... I don't think anyone knows the root cause but it seems to only occur specifically when doing Airplay from an iDevice. So the limitation may be on the other side.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #8557 of 8707 Old 08-13-2014, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
That method will work fine, and it's specifically the point of having high level (speaker wire) inputs/outputs on the subwoofer. That's how subs integrate with basic 2ch stereo setups without formal digital bass management capabilities -- which is basically what Zone 2 is.
Do you know if it would make any difference if I wire it from the Amp to the Sub and then from the sub to the Speakers instead of 2 separate sets of wires going from the amp to the sub and speakers?

Its a fairly long run of about 65ft to the zone 2 area.

Hope that makes sense :-)
post #8558 of 8707 Old 08-13-2014, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Do you know if it would make any difference if I wire it from the Amp to the Sub and then from the sub to the Speakers instead of 2 separate sets of wires going from the amp to the sub and speakers?

Its a fairly long run of about 65ft to the zone 2 area.

Hope that makes sense :-)
It would make most sense to go directly to the sub first, then to the speakers. You wouldn't want to connect both the speakers and the sub to the receiver's speaker outputs.

Also when doing this you might look at 4 wire speaker cable. Monoprice and others have it, just basically four wires in one jacket, that'd be excellent for running from a receiver to the sub. Then you only have to pull one cable over that long distance.
ambesolman, nmad and avkiller like this.

Download my IR hex codes for the Denon AVR-4810ci and other Denon receivers here.
For Logitech Harmony support, ask Logitech for the Denon receiver in the account kmickunas.

post #8559 of 8707 Old 08-13-2014, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
One more question (sorry)...

I'm trying to get the 12v trigger outputs working and I'm using a multimeter to measure the voltage.

Trigger Out #1 is measuring 8v and Trigger Out #2 is measuring 12v. However, I have everything set to "Off" in the Trigger setup menu. What am I doing wrong?

If I use the RS232 commands "TR1 OFF" and "TR2 OFF" then the voltage goes to 0v but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
post #8560 of 8707 Old 08-13-2014, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Ok, buttons on Denon remote working fine now. Just needed to reed manual a little slower/closer :-\

Frank, "Still the one"
post #8561 of 8707 Old 08-13-2014, 11:15 PM
585-645-1006

Posts 1-6 provide helpful information

As a reminder ... on page 1 of this thread ....

Post 1-2: Features of each model
Post 3 - General info + Troubleshooting tips
Post 4 - Issues discussed in thread
Post 5 - Microprocessor/Network reset procedure
Post 6 - Firmware change log information

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
post #8562 of 8707 Old 08-14-2014, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Do you know if it would make any difference if I wire it from the Amp to the Sub and then from the sub to the Speakers
I don't know how your sub is wired, of course, but I recall some that recommended the method above. There were high-pass filters in the connections in the sub enclosure to the existing speakers, and low-pass filters matched to the same corner frequency for the sub. That reduced distortion in the stereo speakers because they no longer suffered the long cone motions from low bass.

---- Dan in Saint Louis
post #8563 of 8707 Old 08-14-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofakng View Post
Trigger Out #1 is measuring 8v and Trigger Out #2 is measuring 12v. However, I have everything set to "Off" in the Trigger setup menu. What am I doing wrong?
I noticed the same thing. The internal logic of the receiver interprets all "---" as all "ON." Set each trigger so some unused input is set "ON" and you will get the behavior you expected. See also message 8314.

---- Dan in Saint Louis
post #8564 of 8707 Old 08-14-2014, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Hey guys,

Just got an X1000 setup with 5.0 and am overall very happy with it. I'm just not clear on what the sound modes are (pure, movie, etc). The manual isn't very helpful in this regard.

If my source is DTS and I have Direct on, vs. Movie mode with the DTS SURROUND setting, what's the difference? Are the sound modes only useful to convert stereo to surround or do they also help when the input is surround? Which do you guys use for movies?

Cheers

Last edited by mzaur; 08-14-2014 at 07:19 AM.
post #8565 of 8707 Old 08-14-2014, 08:12 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Direct - Audyssey OFF
DD/DTS - Audyssey ON

Generally you'll never want to use Direct or Pure Direct
mzaur likes this.

post #8566 of 8707 Old 08-14-2014, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I'm thinking of simplifying my processor end of the system by going from separates to a receiver. Any shortfalls in moving from an Outlaw 7500 amp (emotiva umc-200 processor) to a X4000 receiver and no external amp? I'm driving JTR T8-LP's. I don't listen at reference, but mainly concerned about dynamic range during high impact scenes. Main use is for movies.

Also, looking at the 4520, but the only additional benefit I will get is the added power, but wondering if that will matter?? My speakers are 98db efficient, but at 4 ohm... Would like to make the X4000 work at the current price, should I be looking at the 4520.
post #8567 of 8707 Old 08-14-2014, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in St. Louis View Post
I noticed the same thing. The internal logic of the receiver interprets all "---" as all "ON." Set each trigger so some unused input is set "ON" and you will get the behavior you expected. See also message 8314.
Thanks! I'll have to fool around with it a bit more when I get home tonight.

It's extremely unclear about how it's meant to work. The manual and UI sound like enabling anything to "ON" will cause it to turn on the trigger. For example, if you set "MAIN ZONE" to "ON" and "CBL/SAT" to "ON", then either turning on the main zone or switching the input to CBL/SAT would cause the trigger to turn on.

You can also set "MAIN ZONE", "ZONE 2" and "ZONE 3" to "ON" all at the same time which supports my theory but I'm still very confused on how it's meant to work.

Your description makes it sound like everything set to "ON" must be activated before the trigger will turn on. (i.e. "MAIN ZONE" set to "GAME" won't activate the trigger, but "MAIN ZONE" set to "CBL/SAT" will)
post #8568 of 8707 Old 08-14-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Your description makes it sound like everything set to "ON" must be activated before the trigger will turn on. (i.e. "MAIN ZONE" set to "GAME" won't activate the trigger, but "MAIN ZONE" set to "CBL/SAT" will)
Yes, that has been my experience. If "MAIN ZONE" and "AUX1" are "ON," then "MAIN ZONE + AUX1" will trigger -- but not "MAIN ZONE + DVD" or "ZONE 2 + AUX1."

That is, it is an "AND" function, not "OR."

---- Dan in Saint Louis
post #8569 of 8707 Old 08-14-2014, 12:11 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndskurfer View Post
I'm thinking of simplifying my processor end of the system by going from separates to a receiver. Any shortfalls in moving from an Outlaw 7500 amp (emotiva umc-200 processor) to a X4000 receiver and no external amp? I'm driving JTR T8-LP's. I don't listen at reference, but mainly concerned about dynamic range during high impact scenes. Main use is for movies.

Also, looking at the 4520, but the only additional benefit I will get is the added power, but wondering if that will matter?? My speakers are 98db efficient, but at 4 ohm... Would like to make the X4000 work at the current price, should I be looking at the 4520.
The X4000 will likely meet your needs power wise. The 4520CI is the flagship model mfr'd in Japan with better quality components and 32 bit DACs and 4 Zone capability able to power 4-ohm speakers to reference volume levels without additional amplification.

post #8570 of 8707 Old 08-14-2014, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in St. Louis View Post
Yes, that has been my experience. If "MAIN ZONE" and "AUX1" are "ON," then "MAIN ZONE + AUX1" will trigger -- but not "MAIN ZONE + DVD" or "ZONE 2 + AUX1."

That is, it is an "AND" function, not "OR."
Hmmm, why does it let you select multiple modes then?

For example, you can set MAIN ZONE, CBL/SAT, and GAME all to ON. However, MAIN ZONE can only be CBL/SAT or GAME so the trigger condition will never be met?
post #8571 of 8707 Old 08-14-2014, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
The X4000 will likely meet your needs power wise. The 4520CI is the flagship model mfr'd in Japan with better quality components and 32 bit DACs and 4 Zone capability able to power 4-ohm speakers to reference volume levels without additional amplification.

Thanks for your quick response. No concerns on power on higher impact scenes with the x4000 if running at -10db to -15db for movies? The other specs I'm ok with. The 4-ohm at reference claim for the 4520 vs x4000 is the only item that has me concerned, even though I will not be running that hot, I also don't want to tax it near its limit..
post #8572 of 8707 Old 08-14-2014, 12:54 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Not likely at that speaker sensitivity, however, I wouldn't let go of the Outlaw amp until that has been confirmed.

post #8573 of 8707 Old 08-14-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Hmmm, why does it let you select multiple modes then?
My best guess is that it is because you might want to trigger something on more than one Source or Zone, like (MAIN ZONE) AND (CBL/SAT or Blu-ray) for a projector.

---- Dan in Saint Louis
post #8574 of 8707 Old 08-14-2014, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

I think you're right... I've just tested it and it appears there are three groups:

Zone
Source
HDMI Monitor

If you select two sources in the trigger setup, either one being selected will satisfy the criteria and turn the trigger on.

I'm left with one last problem. Trigger #2 works perfectly as described, but trigger #1 shows 8v when it's on and 12v when it's not. For example, with the exact same trigger settings, trigger #2 will show 12v and trigger #1 will only show 8v.

I'm using a mono 6' cable.
post #8575 of 8707 Old 08-14-2014, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
I get better dynamic range using a Carver m1.0t (200 wpc) for my front left and right channels than I do with the x4000--and this is in stereo (not MCH) with reasonably efficient 8 ohm speakers (and a sub) playing at around -20 dB in a small, well-damped room. The Carver is perhaps a little bright in my system, but Audyssey completely tames that.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #8576 of 8707 Old 08-15-2014, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hey folks,
I have the Denon AVR-X2000 and for my birthday picked up a few new speakers to enable the 7.1 sound. I have questions regarding crossover frequency and speaker setup. My setup currently is:

Pioneer FS-52 FR/FL speakers
Harman Kardeon TS-16 5.1 system (4x SAT-TS11 for Surround Speakers, Cen-TS11 Center, HK-TS 210SUB)

You can find specs on the HK stuff here:http://www.harmankardon.com/images/m...or16_OM_EN.pdf

I ran Audessey and it set the crossover frequency for all the HK speakers to 150hz, but the LFE remained at 120 hz. I think this means I'm losing 30hz of sound from the surround system. Should I up the LFE to 150 hz, or lower the crossover frequency on the satellites to 120hz?

I do have all speakers set to small. Thanks in advance for the guidance.
post #8577 of 8707 Old 08-15-2014, 06:13 AM
585-645-1006

^^
LFE (20Hz -120Hz) is the .1 in 5.1/7.1 audio and is separate from what goes to the speakers so 120Hz is the default LFE setting and should remain there or be lowered if desired.

post #8578 of 8707 Old 08-15-2014, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padinn View Post
I ran Audessey and it set the crossover frequency for all the HK speakers to 150hz, but the LFE remained at 120 hz. I think this means I'm losing 30hz of sound from the surround system. Should I up the LFE to 150 hz, or lower the crossover frequency on the satellites to 120hz?
No, the LPF for LFE should remain at 120 hz because this is only for the LFE channel.

edit: jdsmoothie was faster :P

Samsung UE40EH6030 || Denon AVR-X2000 || 2x Dali Zensor 3 || Dali Zensor Vokal || 2x Dali Zensor 1 || SVS SB12-NSD || 4x Norstone Esse Stand || Auralex SubDude
post #8579 of 8707 Old 08-15-2014, 06:18 AM

Quote:
^^
LFE (20Hz -120Hz) is the .1 in 5.1/7.1 audio and is separate from what goes to the speakers so 120Hz is the default LFE setting and should remain there or be lowered if desired.
Okay thanks for the guidance. If I reduce the crossover frequency on the surrounds from 150hz to 120hz, am I going to lose any sound range?

Maybe I'm just thinking about it wrong and if left to 150 it will be fine.
post #8580 of 8707 Old 08-15-2014, 06:28 AM

I did find this review:
http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...glance-ratings

Which gives some guidance on the frequency range of the center and satellite channels.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2309ci Receiver , Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Denon , Denon Electronics , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Denon Avr E200 , Denon Avr E300 , Denon Avr E400 , Denon Avr X2000 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X3000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X1000 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page