The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 288 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #8611 of 8628 Old Yesterday, 08:58 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 1365
^^
What model DTV DVR are you using? I've had no issues using a DTV Genie with my X4000. Have you tried changing the power on sequence? What generally works best is to power on TV first, wait 4-5 seconds, AVR, wait 4-5 seconds, then finally the DTV box.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8612 of 8628 Old Yesterday, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverlies View Post
Is there a way to avoid the persistent HDMI handshake issues? I never had them with my Yamaha.
That is one of the few features that yamaha stands out. Rock solid hdmi interface.
Do you ever have a signal cut out or it just won't start playing?
ferl likes this.
post #8613 of 8628 Old Yesterday, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
video outputs?

Hi all,
Trying to understand what output options are available to me with the Denon X4000. I'm going to pickup one of the Lightberry options (link below) I know I don't need an HDMI splitter, as the Denon can do dual output HDMI.

I'm wondering the following though.

Can the AVR send out the same signal from HDMI monitor 1 and a signal from the composite monitor out (media player) at the same time? I can't find anything that confirms or rejects my question.

http://lightberry.eu/
post #8614 of 8628 Old Yesterday, 11:16 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Only if there is a composite video input as well as there is no HDMI--> analog video down conversion.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #8615 of 8628 Old Yesterday, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
rats. Thanks JD!
post #8616 of 8628 Old Yesterday, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm need to cool off the AVR E-400. I bought a laptop cooling pad to help cool it. I'm using the front USB to power it but unfortunately it stays on after I shut off the receiver. Is there an option I can select that will supply power to the USB only when it's on? Is this safe for the AVR?
post #8617 of 8628 Old Yesterday, 04:35 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Set IP Control (p. 120 Owner's manual) to "Off in Standby."

post #8618 of 8628 Old Today, 03:51 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
About 3 weeks ago I had a problem with my X4000; see my original post which is quoted below. Just now I was watching a dvd and got the black DENON screen again but this time I noticed that the X4000 had changed its input source all by itself! The input that was changed to had nothing connected to it and hence the black DENON screen. The issue of course is why the receiver changed input sources in the first place?

I checked the HDMI cable between the X4000 and my blu-ray player and both ends were securely in place.

Anyone have any further ideas as to what might be going on here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzzzz... View Post
Hi,

I just had a bit of strange occurrence with my X4000 - while watching a regular dvd, the image was replaced with a black screen and the word "DENON" in larger letters in the middle. While the image from the film was replaced by the black Denon screen, the dvd keep playing (I could see the time changing on the blu-ray player). I'm not sure if the sound continued to play or not as this occurred during a near silent part of the film. Changing the X4000 input source to another input and then back to the blu-ray player restored normal playback of the film.

Something similar happened a week ago while listening to a CD - I lost sound and got the black Denon screen. The same steps solved the problem.

These are the only times I recall having any problems with my X4000. Is this likely something to be concerned about?

Cheers
post #8619 of 8628 Old Today, 03:54 AM
585-645-1006

^^

The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ

post #8620 of 8628 Old Today, 04:31 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Thanks so much for the reply - I'll give Denon a call tomorrow and see what they say.
post #8621 of 8628 Old Today, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 103
X4000 owner and I am finally getting around to using zone 2. My current setup is 7.2 in my theater room and I am using an old Pioneer VSX-818 5.1 channelin speaker A for my garage and B for my porch. I would like to make the porchzone 2 off the X4000 using the speaker terminals (on board Amp) so I do nothave to power Pioneer on every time I want to play music outside. I am assumingI can use the pioneer to power my rear speakers but cannot figure out how. Ican always go up the steps to turn the pioneer on and switch to B when I amworking in the garage so I do not care about that.

I am guessing that I would take the rear surround output into my CD or Auxinput on the pioneer and set it to speaker A and then put the surround speakersto the speaker A terminals on my Pioneer. It is the OSD amp assignments I am havingtrouble with. The selection is 5.1 + zone 2 which leaves my rear surround outof the picture. Also volume on the pioneer should I just max it out and let Audysseydo it's thing or put it mid volume

Any help would be great.

I guess the other way is to use the zone 2 pre outs but this still has megoing up the stairs to turn pioneer on.
post #8622 of 8628 Old Today, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Too many posts and a scan turned out nothing yet so here is my question:

Is the rs232 command set for the AVR-X5200W already made available online? Trading in my Onkyo TX-NR5009 for the 5200 from Denon and I have to rewrite my software Driver to Denon.

Last edited by Bumper; Today at 09:15 AM.
post #8623 of 8628 Old Today, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 1017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
Too many posts and a scan turned out nothing yet so here is my question:

Is the rs232 command set for the AVR-X5200W already made available online? Trading in my Onkyo TX-NR5009 for the 5200 from Denon and I have to rewrite my software Driver to Denon.
This is the thread for last year's (2013) lower level models. You should probably head to the X4100/X5200/X7200 official thread for future questions: The "Official" 2014 Denon Atmos+XT32 Model Thread (X4100/X5200/X7200)

The RS-232 commands haven't been released yet AFAIK, the models aren't even out yet and the downloads on the UK site (these models aren't even on the US site) don't include serial protocol.

That said, you can go to the Denon website and the protocol download is available for the AVR-4520CI, which will have 95%+ of the commands you need. Basic commands don't really change year to year so the only changes will be minor, maybe a few new codes for some new features (e.g. Atmos surround discrete).

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #8624 of 8628 Old Today, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade View Post
X4000 owner and I am finally getting around to using zone 2. My current setup is 7.2 in my theater room and I am using an old Pioneer VSX-818 5.1 channelin speaker A for my garage and B for my porch. I would like to make the porchzone 2 off the X4000 using the speaker terminals (on board Amp) so I do nothave to power Pioneer on every time I want to play music outside. I am assumingI can use the pioneer to power my rear speakers but cannot figure out how. Ican always go up the steps to turn the pioneer on and switch to B when I amworking in the garage so I do not care about that.

I am guessing that I would take the rear surround output into my CD or Auxinput on the pioneer and set it to speaker A and then put the surround speakersto the speaker A terminals on my Pioneer. It is the OSD amp assignments I am havingtrouble with. The selection is 5.1 + zone 2 which leaves my rear surround outof the picture. Also volume on the pioneer should I just max it out and let Audysseydo it's thing or put it mid volume

Any help would be great.

I guess the other way is to use the zone 2 pre outs but this still has megoing up the stairs to turn pioneer on.
If you are using 7 channels (or more) in the main zone you are out of internal amps so you must use external amps to power Zones 2/3. Even if you have an external amp for main zone you can't repurpose the "unused" amps to other zones -- this more advanced custom amp assignment capability is typically restricted to highest level models (e.g. 4520CI), whereas the lower level models are stuck with the menu of static amp assign templates.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #8625 of 8628 Old Today, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
If you are using 7 channels (or more) in the main zone you are out of internal amps so you must use external amps to power Zones 2/3. Even if you have an external amp for main zone you can't repurpose the "unused" amps to other zones -- this more advanced custom amp assignment capability is typically restricted to highest level models (e.g. 4520CI), whereas the lower level models are stuck with the menu of static amp assign templates.
So use the zone 2 pre outs into my CD or Aux input on the pioneer and set it tospeaker A and then put porch to the speaker A on my Pioneer. Maybe the Pioneer will wake up with a input but I doubt it.
post #8626 of 8628 Old Today, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Unless you are using the Pio for something else maybe think about selling it and getting something like the Audiosource AMP 100 which has an auto-on circuit. It's a very popular choice for an inexpensive Zone amp.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #8627 of 8628 Old Today, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
This is the thread for last year's (2013) lower level models. You should probably head to the X4100/X5200/X7200 official thread for future questions: The "Official" 2014 Denon Atmos+XT32 Model Thread (X4100/X5200/X7200)

The RS-232 commands haven't been released yet AFAIK, the models aren't even out yet and the downloads on the UK site (these models aren't even on the US site) don't include serial protocol.

That said, you can go to the Denon website and the protocol download is available for the AVR-4520CI, which will have 95%+ of the commands you need. Basic commands don't really change year to year so the only changes will be minor, maybe a few new codes for some new features (e.g. Atmos surround discrete).
My bad. Too many posts on AVS and I hardly can keep up reading the Atmos thread. I already got the 4520 command table but was wondering about the 5200 because the owners manual states:

RS-232C connector:
Used to connect home automation controller devices fitted with RS-232C connectors. Consult the owner’s manual of the home automation controller for more information about serial control of this unit.

But I can't find that owner's manual.....
post #8628 of 8628 Unread Today, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
Set IP Control (p. 120 Owner's manual) to "Off in Standby."
Thank you! This is a great and informative forum.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2309ci Receiver , Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Denon , Denon Electronics , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Denon Avr E200 , Denon Avr E300 , Denon Avr E400 , Denon Avr X2000 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X3000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X1000 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread