The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 290 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8671 of 8686 Old 08-24-2014, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
What does the INFO button display when in Stereo mode? Does it show the sub channel as active? Or on the front panel display if you have it set to display the output signals?
I'll have to check when I get home from work tonight (in Australia so diff time zone. )

Edit:
Source:CD
Sound: Stereo
Signal: PCM
Input Signal FL/FR
Active Speakers: FL/FR/SW1/SW2

Last edited by Kazz063; 08-25-2014 at 04:34 AM. Reason: Add Info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8672 of 8686 Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have a couple HDMI-CEC questions/issues.

I have the X1000 connected to my Sony TV. If I go to the menus all the HDMI control stuff is turned on, when I go to enable devices it scans, but sees nothing for the receiver.

If I turn on my XBMC media center (going through the X1000) and rescan, the TV sees both the XBMC media center and the X1000. I can then use my TV remote for the X1000 volume. Why is it not seeing the X1000 unless I have a CEC enabled device connected into the X1000? It's like the X1000 CEC isn't enabled unless there is an active CEC device turned on connected into it. Shouldn't I be able to watch my DirecTV and use the standard tv remote to change the X1000 volume?

Thanks!
Bill
post #8673 of 8686 Old Yesterday, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a Denon E300 receiver. Just purchased a new subwoofer, BIC PL-200, and did a 6 position Audyssey calibration using giomania's Audyssey Setup Guide and BATPIG'S "DENON-TO-ENGLISH DICTIONARY" SETUP GUIDE AND FAQ.
I have an old pair of JBL 940T fronts, a JBL EWS25C center, and JBL ES20 surrounds. The 940Ts are 4 ohm speakers and have an efficiency rating of 94 db. The receiver has no problem running them. It has never run hot, shut down, or lowered the volume. The problem is that the fronts are a bit too loud. Audyssey set the Fronts at -12.0 db (maxed out), Center at -9.0 db, Surrounds at -5.5 db, and the Sub at -5.0 db (volume set at 1/3).

In Manual Setup I set all speakers to small and the crossovers to 80 hz.

You can change all the speakers volumes manually in the menu: Speakers-Manual Setup-Levels-Test Tone Start; but my fronts are already maxed out at -12.0 db.

Setting Dynamic EQ to ON and -Ref Low Offset to 0 - 15 db (depending on the source) helps.

I could replace the 940Ts with 8 ohm speakers but they are in excellent condition and sound great.

Any suggestions on how to lower the volume of the fronts or just let Audyssey do its thing and use Dynamic EQ; or raise the center, surrounds, and sub volumes?

Last edited by bob2607; Yesterday at 12:26 PM.
post #8674 of 8686 Old Yesterday, 02:16 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Liked: 1401
^^
Then simply lower the master volume and if you need to adjust the other speakers upward... do so.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #8675 of 8686 Old Yesterday, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Hey I'm curious. Generally what is the best shape to make when doing Audyssey sweeps? Since my couch is near the back wall I do 6 spots making a rectangle. No spot more than 1.5 feet from the next. But after I got my RS-41s I redid it and this time did 8 spots in sort of a cross. I did one spot as far back as I could be behind the LP. And did 3 forward, and 5 accross the LP. It seems to sound even better.

The reason I did this was because the sound sounded "lacking" perhaps because it thought the LP was closer than it was maybe? Or maybe just my imagination. But I think I like testing so far early results using all 8 spots is great. But I did want to ask here what sort of pattern/area do you find best. Especially with space lacking and not a lot of space "around" the MLP.

Sony KDL-70R550A
Denon x4000 (omg)
Klipsch RF-62IIs
Klipsch RC-62II
Klipsch RS-41IIs
SVS PC12-NSD + Klipsch RW12d
post #8676 of 8686 Old Yesterday, 04:16 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Specific pattern is not as important as using a mic boom stand or camera tripod, ensuring no point is closer than 2' from a back wall, ensuring all points are 2-4" above a high back couch, ensuring points 2-7 are within 2'-3' of the #1 position, and also varying each position up or down an inch or two.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #8677 of 8686 Old Yesterday, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

maybe that's why it helped, a couple positions were different heights. However I had to go about 1' from the back window. Oh well, thanks for that.

Sony KDL-70R550A
Denon x4000 (omg)
Klipsch RF-62IIs
Klipsch RC-62II
Klipsch RS-41IIs
post #8678 of 8686 Old Yesterday, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
^^

Specific pattern is not as important as using a mic boom stand or camera tripod, ensuring no point is closer than 2' from a back wall, ensuring all points are 2-4" above a high back couch, ensuring points 2-7 are within 2'-3' of the #1 position, and also varying each position up or down an inch or two.

Would it matter if the stand itself is between the speakers and the mic?

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still [emoji107]
post #8679 of 8686 Old Today, 05:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
^^
Then simply lower the master volume and if you need to adjust the other speakers upward... do so.
Other then getting new front speakers this appears to be the only solution.

From the "Official Audyssey Thread", kbarnes701's post WELCOME TO THE AUDYSSEY FAQ AND 'AUDYSSEY 101'! "Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #51779)

e)6. What do I do if my trim levels are at the limits of their adjustment ('maxed out')?

During the calibration, Audyssey sets each speaker's volume level so that all your speakers are playing at the same level, relative to each other, after the calibration is complete. These settings are called the 'trim levels' and you can see how Audyssey has set them by going into your AVR or Prepro's menus.

The range that Audyssey works within depends on the make of your unit: for Onkyo it is -12dB to +12dB for the satellites and -15dB to +12dB for the subwoofer; for Denon and Marantz the range is -12dB to +12dB for the satellites and the subwoofer. For other brands, check with your user manual. After calibration, all your speakers should show a trim setting within these ranges.

It is important that no trim level is 'hitting the stops' or maxed out. The reason for this is that if you do hit the stops, you have no way of knowing if Audyssey would have gone even further if it had been able to. So if, for example, your sub is set to -15dB, then there is the possibility that it could have been set to -17dB if Audyssey had allowed it.

If subwoofer trim is maxed out:

Ideally, your sub should be in the trim range of approximately -3.5dB to +3.5dB. If your sub is not in this range then you can adjust it by using the sub volume control knob and running Audyssey again until you get the trim where you want it.

Also, one of the reasons for having Audyssey's subwoofer trim level in the +/- 3.5dB range is that values closer to -12 dB might prevent a subwoofer's Auto-On feature from working because the output of the receiver would be too low. (We recommend that if your sub has an 'Auto-on' setting on its power control, to turn this OFF before running MultEQ. This will ensure the sub always 'wakes up' when it is first pinged.) There is another reason why it is important to aim for a sub trim in the approximate range of +/- 3.5dB and this concerns the safety of your sub and avoiding damage to it. Please read this FAQ Technical Note for more information.

If satellite speaker trims are maxed out (external amplification):

However, what do you do if your satellite speaker trims are maxed out? They do not (usually) have volume controls. The trim levels are determined by a combination of several factors - for example, the efficiency* of your speakers, your amplifier gain, room size, speaker location etc. It is unusual for one or more satellite speakers to be maxed out but it can happen. If you are using external (separate) power amplification with very efficient speakers, then a good solution is to use line level attenuators or 'pads' (see link below for examples). These devices fit between the prepro and the power amp and reduce (attenuate) the input signal to the power amp. They are passive devices so they have no negative impact on your sound quality at all but, as always, the advice is to choose good quality components.

If satellite speaker trims are maxed out (internal AVR amplification):

If you are using an AVR's internal amplification, follow this procedure: you can use an SPL meter to make sure that the levels of the speakers are the same. If they are not, then make adjustments to make them the same. Example: assume your centre channel reads 78.5dB, your surround left channel reads 77.5dB and your right channel reads 76.5dB, all with trims of -12dB. Adjust the trims so that all of your channels read 78.5dB (the loudest level of the set of measurements you just made). This will ensure that all of your channels are now set to the same level - in this example 78.5dB.

After that, turn down the master volume (not the trims) until the measured noise is 75 dB on the SPL meter (C-weighted, Slow). 75dB is the target calibration level in a system adjusted to play correctly at Reference level. Write down that master volume setting because it is now your new reference listening setting (instead of the 0 dB setting normally used). You will need an external test disc if you wish to complete this step because the master volume control is inoperative when using the internal AVR test tones (although users report that on some Denon units the MV is operational when using the internal test tones). Alternatively, it is probably reasonable to assume that your new Reference level setting (in this example) is -3.5dB and not 0dB - in other words, the same amount by which you raised all the trims above the level of 75dB. Be aware that since you have changed the Reference Level setting on the master volume, Dynamic EQ will not function exactly as intended as it assumes that Reference level is 0dB. You can compensate to some extent for this by using Reference Level Offset.

Last edited by bob2607; Today at 06:04 AM.
post #8680 of 8686 Old Today, 07:02 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
Would it matter if the stand itself is between the speakers and the mic?

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still [emoji107]
Well, depending on your furniture arrangement, it may not be possible to have it any other way but, ideally you want to place the mic boom stand behind the couch such that only the arm is over the couch.

post #8681 of 8686 Old Today, 07:17 AM
585-645-1006

X4000 in limited supply

We currently have only (3) X4000's in stock and the last production run has been sold out so we likely won't be able to get any more X4000s. So if you want one from us ... better call in now.

post #8682 of 8686 Old Today, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
JD..when I ran Audyssey I had my camera tripod sitting ON my sofa. Do you think that might give me a bad reading? It sounds o.k.to me just wondering if it could be even better.
post #8683 of 8686 Old Today, 09:29 AM
585-645-1006

Use a mic boom stand for a better Audyssey experience

That's the problem with a camera tripod ... it MUST be on the couch .. which is also why using a mic boom stand is more ideal and only costs about $35. You'll not only get better results, but it's so much easier to use than a camera tripod ... so easy in fact you may want to try multiple Audyssey runs with different mic positions just to compare the quality difference in each run, especially due to your X4000 having 2 microprocessors (instead of only 1 in the lower models) which will allow you to do a whole 7.2 setup in only 10 minutes. Woohooo!!!!

Here's the mic boom stand recommended in the Audyssey FAQ .....

http://www.amazon.com/Stage-Stands-M.../dp/B000978D58

and here's the required adapter to fit the Audyssey mic to the boom arm ...

http://www.amazon.com/CM01-Camera-Di...stand+adapters

Last edited by jdsmoothie; Today at 09:39 AM.
post #8684 of 8686 Old Today, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Why must the tripod be on carpet?
post #8685 of 8686 Old Today, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
It doesn't. JD is just saying a boom stand is easier. You can prop it behind the couch and then swing/extend it into multiple testing positions.

I myself use a tripod and test on the couch and then on the floor but raise it. It works out fine for me and sounds really good once I am done.

Either is fine, but maybe a boom stand is a bit more convenient.

Sony KDL-70R550A
Denon x4000 (omg)
Klipsch RF-62IIs
Klipsch RC-62II
Klipsch RS-41IIs
post #8686 of 8686 Old Today, 12:27 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
Who said "carpet"? I said "couch" in that a camera tripod likely has at least (2) if not all (3) legs on the couch for some of the mic positions. As Teremei points out ... simply easier to use a mic boom stand than adjusting the legs on a tripod, especially if you want to run multiple mic positions and save them to a PC file to use later using the SAVE/LOAD procedure (see post #4 ).

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2309ci Receiver , Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Denon , Denon Electronics , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Denon Avr E200 , Denon Avr E300 , Denon Avr E400 , Denon Avr X2000 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X3000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X1000 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page