The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 291 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8701 of 8728 Old Yesterday, 08:04 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 1419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live Steam View Post
Thanks JD. The explanation earlier in the thread about how that programming of the remote works, wasn't very clear to me. All is well in my audio domain
Repeated for other X4000 owner's viewing pleasure ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
How to prevent Zones 2/3 from powering on when not using them

For those X4000 owners using the Denon remote that are having difficulty with Zones 2 or 3 powering on, yet not currently having any Zone 2/3 speakers connected, you can program the remote to only control the Main zone as shown on p. 208 in the Owner's manual and below ...

Main zone only - press/hold Main + Setup
Main zone + Zone 2 - press/hold "2" + Setup
Main zone + Zone 2 + Zone 3 - press/hold "3" + Setup

ambesolman likes this.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8702 of 8728 Old Yesterday, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So I'm actually still not clear on this LOL If I leave it at main + zone 2, every time I power off I need to shut zone 2 separately? And when I power up zone 2 will be off until I power it on? Something still isn't clear and the above doesn't explain that.

Sorry if this seems trivial or that I have brain lock here :
post #8703 of 8728 Old Yesterday, 11:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Jumped ship from Yamaha to Denon after 20 years of buying Yamaha, due to good deal on X4000. Wondered what sort of numbers this put out on the bench, given it's lightweight but did not see any review showing numbers.

Anyone seen one?

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #8704 of 8728 Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 1073
Regardless of how the remote is set, zones are controlled independently for power on/off, volume etc. The procedure that JD described above simply allows you to "lock out" the option of controlling certain zones accidentally.

So if you power Zone 2 on, it won't go off until you turn it off. And if it's off, powering up Main Zone won't turn it on.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #8705 of 8728 Old Yesterday, 02:16 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Regardless of how the remote is set, zones are controlled independently for power on/off, volume etc. The procedure that JD described above simply allows you to "lock out" the option of controlling certain zones accidentally.

So if you power Zone 2 on, it won't go off until you turn it off. And if it's off, powering up Main Zone won't turn it on.
Thanks for that confirmation. Didn't want to turn on the TV at 11pm, watching Fast & Furious 6 and shock the neighbors out of their shorts
post #8706 of 8728 Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

On Yamaha, I always set all my speakers to small, crossover to 80hz and let the subwoofer handle the LFE and crossed over bass.

I tried that on the X4000 after running Audyssey and the bass seems a bit weak now. It could be that it's weak in comparison to how Audyssey set stuff up initially, I don't trust my audio memory too much.

Closer by NIN nails ( by default bass test track) sounds ok, but London Bridge by Fergie sounds weak ( this track should have a lot of bass in it.)

I know you guys know your Denon, so any help is great

post #8707 of 8728 Old Yesterday, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 1073
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post
On Yamaha, I always set all my speakers to small, crossover to 80hz and let the subwoofer handle the LFE and crossed over bass.

I tried that on the X4000 after running Audyssey and the bass seems a bit weak now. It could be that it's weak in comparison to how Audyssey set stuff up initially, I don't trust my audio memory too much.

Closer by NIN nails ( by default bass test track) sounds ok, but London Bridge by Fergie sounds weak ( this track should have a lot of bass in it.)

I know you guys know your Denon, so any help is great
There are a couple of stock answers...

The first is that -- because YPAO doesn't EQ the subwoofer with nearly the same efficacy as XT32 -- you had grown used to some pleasing "lumps" the bass that have now been flattened out by XT32. So the bass is flatter / more accurate, but not as visceral.

So most recommend giving yourself some time to adjust to the "flat" bass, and then if you still feel it's weak, just up the subwoofer channel manually a few dB until you get the oomph you are looking for.

You should also be using Dynamic EQ if you aren't, since it will restore a lot of the bass frequencies at sub-reference volumes.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #8708 of 8728 Old Yesterday, 08:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Will try Dynamic EQ, thanks

Initial impressions of the X4000-
* Easy to setup (really easy with that guided setup, but they could have also automated the ability to set all speakers to small and 80 hz crossover as a choice if that's recommended)
* Impressed with "light" compression via dynamic volume or whatever it is called; I hardly needed to touch the volume on the remote - I had the volume close to 0 dB which is interesting, I never got that close to 0 dB on the Z7
* I like the remote, easy to use; good idea to have that hold and select method with only 4 sound mode buttons; I will have to play around with how to activate 7.1 for 5.1 soundtracks if that's possible with PCM from my PS3
* Good display
* I wish it had auxiliary power sockets like the Z7; could not hook up DVD to Tape Deck as I had no power outlets left, and used the Z7 aux sockets for those - will have to think about maybe getting a bigger power strip
* Sound was good except for a lack of bass on one sample track I tried; there's so many variables with bass though, I accept this might be a normal thing - I might have to play that same track on the bedroom system as audio memory is not totally reliable; movie bass seemed ok - as Bat Pig says, I can always bump the bass level
* Very nice to have two subwoofer inputs; I place my subs where they are convenient for me, but hope having two, one in a front corner, one in the back is of some help
* Can't comment on power as I am using Emo XPA-3 amp for the front, and one Crown for the rear surrounds; Denon is only powering the side surrounds
* Network feature to play Pandora and Airplay seems solid
* Would have been nice if Audyssey did the right thing, I thought these Denons were more sophisticated than the Yamaha system where I also always have to make some manual changes
* Receiver had an odd smell after warming up - hopefully not too many carcinogens were being boiled off of components

Overall, seems very friendly and probably worth the $800 I spent. It's amps are probably significantly less powerful than the Z7, but no big deal when I have externals. I also don't tend to listen at high SPL

post #8709 of 8728 Old Yesterday, 09:57 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz063 View Post
Hi guys, trying to get the subs working in 2ch on my X4000 but having no luck, I've looked at batpig's guide but nothing seems to be working.

Setup is as follows:

CA 640c V2 connected to X4000 via coax (the analogue outputs on the 640c have died)

X4000 running into power amp for all 7ch

2 subs, PSA XS30's connected

Speakers set to small.

Any help would be appreciated.
Quote:
^^
Are you using a dedicated set of 2CH stereo speakers or the same FL/FR speakers in the 5.1 surround setup? Ensure the FL/FR speakers are set to SMALL/80Hz.
Quote:
The same ones as in the 7.1 setup, yep they are set to small.
Quote:
^^
You can't just set them to SMALL, rather you must also RAISE the crossover to 80Hz if you want more action from the sub. Also while in the Stereo surround mode, go into Manual setup and ensure the FL/FR are set to SMALL/80Hz.
Quote:
Sorry should've elaborated, crossover is set to 80 Hz and speakers small, also did the manual setup for FL/FR.
Quote:
^^
What does the INFO button display when in Stereo mode? Does it show the sub channel as active? Or on the front panel display if you have it set to display the output signals?
Quote:
I'll have to check when I get home from work tonight (in Australia so diff time zone. )

Edit:
Source:CD
Sound: Stereo
Signal: PCM
Input Signal FL/FR
Active Speakers: FL/FR/SW1/SW2
Just an update, the CDP died completely through the week so I have replaced it with a Rotel and am running on analogue again, I also had to rerun audyssey because I moved some furniture around as well as the right rear surround speaker. Anyway long story short I now have sub action on 2ch playback.
post #8710 of 8728 Old Today, 12:07 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
First time owner of X4000. Setup quickly and plugged in an Xbox360 to test sound, and it is defaulting to stereo on 5.1 sources. How do I tell it to please play 5.1?
post #8711 of 8728 Old Today, 12:10 AM

Everything sounds so quiet. I did audyssey setup too. Really frustrating right now, expected a much better experience for the first listen but something must not be right.
post #8712 of 8728 Old Today, 12:16 AM

There's also a very noticeable lag in the audio from the video. Any help is greatly appreciated.
post #8713 of 8728 Old Today, 03:56 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Jumped ship from Yamaha to Denon after 20 years of buying Yamaha, due to good deal on X4000. Wondered what sort of numbers this put out on the bench, given it's lightweight but did not see any review showing numbers.

Anyone seen one?
No, but on average it should be about: 125W @ 2CH, 95W @ 5CH and 75W @ 7CH

Quote:
Will try Dynamic EQ, thanks

Initial impressions of the X4000-
* Easy to setup (really easy with that guided setup, but they could have also automated the ability to set all speakers to small and 80 hz crossover as a choice if that's recommended)

This is a recommendation by Audyssey, not by the AVR mfr's and it's the AVR that sets the crossovers, not Audyssey, not to mention most surrounds will cross at > 80Hz, therefore you wouldn't want to lower them to 80Hz.

* I like the remote, easy to use; good idea to have that hold and select method with only 4 sound mode buttons; I will have to play around with how to activate 7.1 for 5.1 soundtracks if that's possible with PCM from my PS3

Use DD PL IIx or DTS Neo:X.

* Very nice to have two subwoofer inputs; I place my subs where they are convenient for me, but hope having two, one in a front corner, one in the back is of some help

Additionally, unlike the dual sub pre-outs on the X3000, which are nothing more than an internal $3 "Y" splitter cable, the X4000 uses Audyssey Sub EQ HT to separately set the level and delay of each sub in addition to giving you individual sub volume control.

* Would have been nice if Audyssey did the right thing, I thought these Denons were more sophisticated than the Yamaha system where I also always have to make some manual changes

Actually, that is exactly the reason why some prefer YPAO, for the added adjustment capability.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
post #8714 of 8728 Old Today, 04:00 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebase131 View Post
First time owner of X4000. Setup quickly and plugged in an Xbox360 to test sound, and it is defaulting to stereo on 5.1 sources. How do I tell it to please play 5.1?
Press/hold th MOVIE button and select a multi channel surround mode.

Quote:
Everything sounds so quiet. I did audyssey setup too. Really frustrating right now, expected a much better experience for the first listen but something must not be right.
You may want to run Audyssey several times with different mic positions each time to see if you prefer one configuration over another. Most generally prefer to bump up the Subwoofer Level setting by +3-5db after running Audyssey, so do so as well if you prefer.

Quote:
There's also a very noticeable lag in the audio from the video. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Perhaps turn on video processing if not currently being used.

post #8715 of 8728 Old Today, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great thread. I have been a lurker for years. I just upgraded my old AVR-789 to the X2000. I have an HTPC hooked up and use it for the majority of my media.

I have a couple of questions regarding the networking features of this receiver. I have several DVD-Audio rips on my computer. They are encoded as multichannel flac. I can play them using J River Media Center and XBMC and properly get Multi Channel In on the receiver. It sounds wonderful. However if I use the Media Server Feature of the receiver only the front left and front right are coming through. It is not even downmixing it to stereo (I can hear there is missing sound from the channels that are not playing). Is there a way to get the receiver to properly bitstream these using media server?

The other question I have is with the Denon Android Remote. I can access the media server through the remote and see all of my music but whenever I try to play something I get a server error. Any tricks to getting this to work properly?

Thanks for the help.
post #8716 of 8728 Old Today, 10:40 AM
585-645-1006

^^
1. 2CH only.
2. Perhaps try streaming a 2CH audio track.

post #8717 of 8728 Old Today, 10:54 AM

Am I understanding that you have to have a premium subscription to use Spotify on these receivers ? Or can you just use the free version ?
post #8718 of 8728 Old Today, 12:05 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Correct. Although there is no "free" Spotify, rather there is a "free" Pandora you can use.

post #8719 of 8728 Old Today, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Press/hold th MOVIE button and select a multi channel surround mode.

You may want to run Audyssey several times with different mic positions each time to see if you prefer one configuration over another. Most generally prefer to bump up the Subwoofer Level setting by +3-5db after running Audyssey, so do so as well if you prefer.

Perhaps turn on video processing if not currently being used.
The only channel that was appropriately volumed was the center and it overpowered everything else drastically. I would have assumed audyssey would level everything fantastically and it did anything but that.
post #8720 of 8728 Old Today, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
^^
1. 2CH only.
2. Perhaps try streaming a 2CH audio track.
Thanks for the quick answer.
On the question of the app, the server error happens even with 2 channel flac
post #8721 of 8728 Old Today, 01:25 PM

Thanks, JD. No, I would just run PC audio to AVR just like old setup. I was just hoping to be "green" and have one less appliance on
post #8722 of 8728 Old Today, 01:27 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
The only channel that was appropriately volumed was the center and it overpowered everything else drastically. I would have assumed audyssey would level everything fantastically and it did anything but that.
What kind of SPL readings do you see in Audyssey or Manual Setup? Each speaker should have been equally calibrated. Although the Audyssey mic is generally very accurate, do you have a separate SPL meter or smart phone SPL app you can use to confirm?

post #8723 of 8728 Old Today, 01:29 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGNdad View Post
Thanks, JD. No, I would just run PC audio to AVR just like old setup. I was just hoping to be "green" and have one less appliance on
Pandora works well and requires no PC. Are you familiar with it?

post #8724 of 8728 Old Today, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Exclamation Help!

I was messing around in the web interface for my E400 today and clicked "Web Update". It immediately rebooted and now is stuck with the display showing "Web Update Start". I didn't really want to update, just see what my options were. Is there a safe way out of this, or should I just wait, and for how long?

Thanks
post #8725 of 8728 Old Today, 02:41 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Sure. Just do the update.

post #8726 of 8728 Old Today, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 322
But I don't know how to do the update. It doesn't appear to be doing anything. Display hasn't changed for a long time. Will I brick it if I kill the power?
post #8727 of 8728 Old Today, 02:46 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Then refer to post #5 and doing a network reset.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2309ci Receiver , Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Denon , Denon Electronics , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Denon Avr E200 , Denon Avr E300 , Denon Avr E400 , Denon Avr X2000 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X3000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X1000 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page