The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 292 - AVS Forum
First ... 290  291  292 293  294  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 07:10 PM 08-31-2014
^^
You can get a SPL meter at Radio Shack for < $50 or just download a phone app for free. When using the 0-100 volume scale average volume for most folks is likely 40-60 for TV and maybe 50-70 for movies so 75 should have been very loud.

sofakng's Avatar sofakng 09:24 AM 09-01-2014
Is the AVR-X4000 able to turn on a TV using HDMI CEC?

It looks like it can turn the TV off, but I can't seem to get it to turn the TV on.
batpig's Avatar batpig 09:58 AM 09-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofakng View Post
Is the AVR-X4000 able to turn on a TV using HDMI CEC?

It looks like it can turn the TV off, but I can't seem to get it to turn the TV on.
The answer is "maybe". HDMI CEC is inconsistent in implementation. There isn't a specific setting for it on the receiver but sometimes a CEC connected display will turn on.

In most cases it's better to just use a good universal remote and save frustration trying to make CEC bend to your will.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 09:59 AM 09-01-2014
^^
Only OFF is discussed in the Owner's manual. The use of a Harmony Remote is likely your best option.
gimpy's Avatar gimpy 10:05 AM 09-01-2014
jd, in your opinion, does the Audyssey program in the x3000 work as good as, or better, than doing the manual sound setup with the spl meter? I have the spl meter, but haven't used it in a couple of years. Just wondering if it would be worth the effort to get it out.

Also, do you have a suggestion for a video disk to use to calibrate the tv? I've read about a couple, WOW, and a couple of others. All have good and bad reviews. I have the old Avia disk from when I tried to set up my old projection tv, but I think it might be a little out dated for my current LCD.

Thx, for any suggestions/tips you might have.
Frank
wkearney99's Avatar wkearney99 10:13 AM 09-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
The answer is "maybe". HDMI CEC is inconsistent in implementation. There isn't a specific setting for it on the receiver but sometimes a CEC connected display will turn on.

In most cases it's better to just use a good universal remote and save frustration trying to make CEC bend to your will.
There's some truth to fighting against CEC implementations being solved with a different remote.

However, I've had decent luck using CEC with my X3000 and a Panasonic plasma. I send the TV's format of IR commands to the TV and it, in turn, sends the CEC commands to the AVR. This works nicely.

The TV gets it's own IR signals for volume and power. The TV passes the volume commands to the AVR. This does result in seeing two overlays for the volume commands. The TV shows "Home Theater Volume" slightly overlaid on top of the Denon's volume slider. It's a little annoying, but I'm willing to accept that given it actually WORKS.

I do recall it was tricky figuring out exactly where in the TV's menus to configure this. One issue was having it accept it's own protocol IR commands for volume but NOT to use them to control it's own internal speakers.

When I send a TV IR power on or off it triggers the X3000 to respond likewise. There's a second or three delay for powering on. The TV powers up but the AVR doesn't click to life for another few seconds. Again, a bit tedious, but acceptable.
wkearney99's Avatar wkearney99 10:27 AM 09-01-2014
Quote:
I found it wasn't possible to turn our Panasonic VT60 plasma TV on from the AVR. But that it was possible to turn the AVR on from the TV.

But you'd also want to pose the question on a message thread that targets your particular make & model of TV.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 11:02 AM 09-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
jd, in your opinion, does the Audyssey program in the x3000 work as good as, or better, than doing the manual sound setup with the spl meter? I have the spl meter, but haven't used it in a couple of years. Just wondering if it would be worth the effort to get it out.

Also, do you have a suggestion for a video disk to use to calibrate the tv? I've read about a couple, WOW, and a couple of others. All have good and bad reviews. I have the old Avia disk from when I tried to set up my old projection tv, but I think it might be a little out dated for my current LCD.

Thx, for any suggestions/tips you might have.
Frank
A SPL meter is simply going to accomplish setting the level and delay. Audyssey goes beyond that using 100's of control points to also EQ the frequency range of each speaker and sub, so no, just using a SPL will not provide an equivalent solution. The more current AVIA as well as the Spears and Munsil 3D and Digital Video Essentials all would serve well for consumer level TV calibration.
Farris's Avatar Farris 11:59 AM 09-01-2014
Guys,

I have the X4000 in my livingroom and am using an Hdmi splitter to send a duplicate image and sound to my bedroom.

The problem I am having is that I am not getting sound out of either TVs, just my 5.1 speakers. This means no sound in my bedroom.

I assume the amp is cutting the audio to the TV because it detects re 5.1 setup.

Is it possible to enable audio over the Hdmi out and also have the 5.1 working?

Thanks
baloo_btru's Avatar baloo_btru 12:50 PM 09-01-2014
Woohoo! Christmas came early

If you guys remember, I was posting a couple of weeks ago on a great deal for an x4000 open box at my local best buy (a little more than $800 iirc). I was disappointed that it got sold, and then I was convinced that I'm probably better off upgrading my sub anyway...

A couple of days ago though my buddy at BB told me the x4000 wasn't sold, it was just put back in the stockroom for the weekend...and to get rid of it, they could sell it for $600! Plus, best buy is doing a special promotion for 10% rewards back vs the usual 1%. So I basically got a perfect condition x4000 with full warranty for basically $540. I'm very excited

Hopefully I'll have time to install and set it up tonight. As an added bonus, he threw in one of the new "rocket" stands for the audyssey mic which is great since that was an issue I was having (not being able to calibrate correctly).

How have the reviews been of those stands? Obviously a real mic stand would be better but will it get me 90% of the way there?
Teremei's Avatar Teremei 01:09 PM 09-01-2014
please don't tell me how you got a receiver for that I paid $1000 and have to bring in for repair because it keeps turning off.

JK congrats on your find. You cheeky monkey.
baloo_btru's Avatar baloo_btru 01:21 PM 09-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post
please don't tell me how you got a receiver for that I paid $1000 and have to bring in for repair because it keeps turning off.

JK congrats on your find. You cheeky monkey.
Just patience, luck and timing
Teremei's Avatar Teremei 01:36 PM 09-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo_btru View Post
Just patience, luck and timing
Yeah being patient can lead to a great deal. I got mine early in the x4000 production. I shouldn't feel too bad. I bought it for $1299 but then I was gonna return it and buy it from AVS but best buy had it on sale for $999 that day and gave me the $300 difference.

Anyway get that audyssey XT32 working ASAP, once you hear it you will never go back.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 02:10 PM 09-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farris View Post
Guys,

I have the X4000 in my livingroom and am using an Hdmi splitter to send a duplicate image and sound to my bedroom.

The problem I am having is that I am not getting sound out of either TVs, just my 5.1 speakers. This means no sound in my bedroom.

I assume the amp is cutting the audio to the TV because it detects re 5.1 setup.

Is it possible to enable audio over the Hdmi out and also have the 5.1 working?

Thanks
Why are you using an external splitter? The two main zone HDMI outputs on the AVR can have the HDMI audio set to either the AVR or TV, but both outputs must be the same setting. You can also use the 3rd HDMI output (ie. Zone 2) which can also pass the same source but will downmix the audio in the main zone to stereo if it is connected directly to a TV. Your HDMI splitter will react the same as the Zone 2 HDMI output if you have it placed between the source and the AVR/TV.
Ebase131's Avatar Ebase131 11:00 PM 09-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
You can get a SPL meter at Radio Shack for < $50 or just download a phone app for free. When using the 0-100 volume scale average volume for most folks is likely 40-60 for TV and maybe 50-70 for movies so 75 should have been very loud.
So because at 75 it was quiet everywhere but from the center channel you think it was a simple case of bad calibration by audyssey? Does that happen frequently? I plan on setting up everything again tomorrow and running another calibration.

Also, is the spl app just as good as an spl meter? I'd assume not since the app is free but just curious.
Farris's Avatar Farris 02:51 AM 09-02-2014
Quote:
Why are you using an external splitter? The two main zone HDMI outputs on the AVR can have the HDMI audio set to either the AVR or TV, but both outputs must be the same setting. You can also use the 3rd HDMI output (ie. Zone 2) which can also pass the same source but will downmix the audio in the main zone to stereo if it is connected directly to a TV. Your HDMI splitter will react the same as the Zone 2 HDMI output if you have it placed between the source and the AVR/TV.
So it is not possible to have 5.1 audio on the main zone and audio over the second or third HDMI output (stereo or 5.1 doesn't matter)?

Is there a cost effective way to rectify this issue?

THANKS!
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 04:03 AM 09-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebase131 View Post
So because at 75 it was quiet everywhere but from the center channel you think it was a simple case of bad calibration by audyssey? Does that happen frequently? I plan on setting up everything again tomorrow and running another calibration.

Also, is the spl app just as good as an spl meter? I'd assume not since the app is free but just curious.
You actually quoted my response to "gimpy" not to you.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 04:06 AM 09-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farris View Post
So it is not possible to have 5.1 audio on the main zone and audio over the second or third HDMI output (stereo or 5.1 doesn't matter)?

Is there a cost effective way to rectify this issue?

THANKS!
Not using the main zone output. It's possible using the Zone 2 output only if the Zone 2 output is going to an HDMI sync that can accept 5.1 audio (eg. another AVR).
Ebase131's Avatar Ebase131 06:00 AM 09-02-2014
Quote:
You actually quoted my response to "gimpy" not to you.
Hmm, I just checked again and I'm not sure, but regardless the questions are still valid concerns for me trying to understand the issues with my brand new X4000 and speakers.

I'll run audyssey again tonight and try to figure it out.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 06:10 AM 09-02-2014
^^
Oops! You had the correct quote. My mistake.

A bad calibration (on the order of magnitude of what you are experiencing) could be attributed to a defective mic, but is very rare.
Ebase131's Avatar Ebase131 06:16 AM 09-02-2014
Quote:
^^
Oops! You had the correct quote. My mistake.

A bad calibration (on the order of magnitude of what you are experiencing) could be attributed to a defective mic, but is very rare.
Dang, that would be not good. If the mic is defective, would I contact you guys or Denon for a replacement? (I bought the receiver from you guys)

Could I pick one up at a local radio shack that would suit my needs for calibration in the meantime? I'll try it again a few times though and see what results I get.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 06:43 AM 09-02-2014
^^
You still haven't mentioned what the volume level settings are for each speaker as listed in the Audyssey setup? If you have a smart phone, a SPL app would suffice for this testing. Try starting over by resetting the microprocessor (p. 225 Owner's manual or post 5 in this thread). After the reset and before running Audyssey is the overall volume still quiet at 75? If yes, then the AVR is likely defective. Please call me for an exchange.
Ebase131's Avatar Ebase131 07:30 AM 09-02-2014
Quote:
^^
You still haven't mentioned what the volume level settings are for each speaker as listed in the Audyssey setup? If you have a smart phone, a SPL app would suffice for this testing. Try starting over by resetting the microprocessor (p. 225 Owner's manual or post 5 in this thread). After the reset and before running Audyssey is the overall volume still quiet at 75? If yes, then the AVR is likely defective. Please call me for an exchange.
Thank you for the information. I will try all of this tonight and if there are still issues I will give you a call. Going to pray that there is no issue!
sofakng's Avatar sofakng 07:39 AM 09-02-2014
Is it possible to send the center channel audio to my front left/right speakers as well as the real center speaker?

I think that due to my room limitations my center channel sounds pretty disappointing but the rest of the speakers sound pretty good.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 07:42 AM 09-02-2014
Quote:
Is it possible to send the center channel audio to my front left/right speakers as well as the real center speaker?

I think that due to my room limitations my center channel sounds pretty disappointing but the rest of the speakers sound pretty good.
Multi CH Stereo ...

The quality of the center speaker should be as good as if not better than the FL/FR speakers. Also ensure the center speaker is angled up towards the your seated ear height if placed on a shelf below the TV. If you must reposition the speaker, run Audyssey again.
sofakng's Avatar sofakng 07:58 AM 09-02-2014
OK - Thanks. I figured that was the answer.

I'm using some fairly old speakers (Athena Technologies) and they are a matched set so I'm not sure of the quality of the center speaker versus the others.
McStyvie's Avatar McStyvie 08:36 AM 09-02-2014
hi,

can't find any concrete information on this. I am really wanting to watch my droid TV on my home cinema, and do not want to use Chromecast if possible as I am looking for a rock solid connection.

DLNA is possibly an option but it would require reformatting all the episodes into a suitable format (they are all Mpeg4 which the Denon will only play the sound from).

Is it possible to plug an MHL adapter(mini USB to HDMI) for my Samsung S5 into the X4000 front HDMI and mirror the screen from my phone onto my projector?

I know the X4000 is not MHL compatible. AFAIK this just means it will not charge the phone while playing the media? Or does it mean the phone will not pick up the device at all to mirror?

Thanks in advance!

If that is not possible, any other ideas that are proven to work would be appreciated. I really want to do it from my phone, though I know that the PC -->HDMI to the X4000 is also a possibility.

Cheers
McStyvie's Avatar McStyvie 03:51 AM 09-03-2014
I went ahead and orderd an MHL mini USB to HDMI adapter for my Samsung Galaxy S5 and am happy to report that it does work when connected to the X4000.

You just have to plug it in, and then go to your options on your cell phone for "screen mirroring" and voila. You now have your phone on your projector with full HD 1080P and 8 channel surround sound transfer capabilities.

This is ideal for those like me, who can't be bothered with dodgy wireless connections and want to play formats not compatible with DLNA.

Now I can watch droidtv and NFL games with the Game Pass directly from my phone onto my projector without having to bring in my laptop, laptop charger, and an extra hdmi cable, all around a sweet thing!
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 04:00 AM 09-03-2014
^^
Good news. Thanks for reporting back.
pulsedriverbg's Avatar pulsedriverbg 06:27 AM 09-03-2014
Any one have a clue why i cannot rise upt the volume from the android mobile app above 75?
Tags: Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , dolby digital plus , netflix 5.1
First ... 290  291  292 293  294  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop