The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 295 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8821 of 8848 Old 09-09-2014, 11:10 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 1482
^^
There should be no issue as the X3000 is capable of receiving a 7.1 source signal regardless of whether there are only 5 speakers connected.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8822 of 8848 Old 09-09-2014, 11:13 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by blr5150 View Post
I recently purchased a refurb x2000 from an authorized dealer. Everything worked great after first setup, except I could never get the save option to show up to save the aud. setup. now the sub output does not work. I tried a different sub, still no output. I'm not completely sure about the sub cable, the cabinet that my receiver is in is huge and hard to pull out to get to the connections on the back of the receiver, but I have done a soft and a hard reset to no avail. any suggestions? I will try to check cable this weekend.
Review post 4 of this thread for more info on the SAVE/LOAD procedure. For the sub cable, pull it from the AVR sub pre-out and rub finger over it. If you hear static ... it works. If not, either the cable or sub is bad.

"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8823 of 8848 Old 09-09-2014, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
review post 4 of this thread for more info on the save/load procedure. For the sub cable, pull it from the avr sub pre-out and rub finger over it. If you hear static ... It works. If not, either the cable or sub is bad.
i tried the finger rub with a different cable connected to the sub and got a loud hum. Ill bite the dust this weekend and pull out the cabinet to access the rear of the receiver and test further. Ill try the save function whenever i get the sub working again. The auto setup did not recognize the sub when i reran it after the hard reset

TV - LG 60LA7400
RECEIVER - DENON AVR X2000
BLURAY - SONY BDP-S790 - HDDVD - TOSHIBA HD-A30
WDTV LIVE HUB - DIRECTV DVR - XBOX 360
SURROUND SPEAKERS - KLIPSCH QUINTET iii
SUB - CERWIN VEGA HT 8
post #8824 of 8848 Old 09-09-2014, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 1181
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoering View Post
I have a quick question on how to integrate an X3000 into my system.

What I have is a situation where I already have a Denon 4520CI in my main theater area powering a 7.1 system. I am adding a 2nd room with the X3000 that will share some sources -- in particular an OPPO-103 with dual HDMI outputs. The chain for the OPPO will look like HDMI1 -> Lumagen 2041 -> Denon 4520CI. I also have a DirecTV HR21 and Dune Base 3D that I would just be putting an HDMI splitter on to also run through Lumagen -> 4520CI on one side, the other side of the splitter will go directly to the X3000. Of course the video HDMI output of the Lumagen will go to the main room projector.

I was hoping to operate the X3000 amps as 5.1 (only speakers for 5.1 in 2nd room) + zone 2 stereo to porch area.

Apparently the OPPO will send only the lowest common denominator on both HDMI outputs so (I assume) with a 7.1 source I would never get 7.1 to the 4520CI with the above configuration.

I am not adverse to using a separate amp to power speakers in the porch area.

So the question is - How can I do this? What would happen if I configure for 7.1 and not have rear surround speakers? I am guessing it would match the 4520 in what is negotiated but I have no idea how I could run Audessey setup without them? For a 7.1 source, what would happen to the rear surround channels if the speakers are turned off? Would that content just be lost? Would this work if I were to set my distances manually for the 5 channels I have? If I turn off the rear surround speakers what happens - does it only negotiate as 5.1 capable.

AAAggghhh so many questions...

Any help or ideas much appreciated!
Bill

Bill - Out of curiosity why would you NOT just use the Zone 4 HDMI output from the 4520CI and use that as the HDMI feed to a single input on the X3000? There doesn't seem to be a need for a splitter here because the 4520CI has a matrix HDMI system built in.

I would also ask why the sources are all routing through the Lumagen VP before it gets to the receiver. I assume the VP is being applied for the main theater area.

So I guess I would ask why not go with a much simpler cabling setup:

- All sources hooked up by HDMI directly to 4520CI
- Main Zone HDMI output goes through Lumagen VP to the main theater display
- Zone HDMI output feeds the X3000

Now you can share all the video/audio sources across both receivers, independently or simultaneously.

There is no concern about the "lowest common denominator" restriction with the HDMI split because both receivers have identical capabilites for audio input. That would only be an issue if, for example, you split the sources between a multich AVR and a TV, since the TV can likely only accept stereo and possibly basic DD 5.1.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

post #8825 of 8848 Old 09-09-2014, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi batpig,

To attempt to answer your question, my setup today has zone 4 going to a device that splits the HDMI into its video component (which is passed on to the 2nd room TV), and audio split is DD 5.1 via coax to an antique Marantz SR5000 that powers the 5.1 speaker setup for the 2nd room.

I don't have the Lumagen anywhere in the chain yet - maybe this weekend

So today, if for example, I am watching a Blu-Ray from the OPPO in the theater room I am receiving DTS-MA or TrueHD 7.1 (or even 5.1) in 4520 main zone driving the theater as expected. Now I decide I want to send the same content to the 2nd room and switch zone 4 on the 4520 to also use the OPPO as a source. Viola it goes through a HDMI handshake again when I switch zone 4 to the OPPO and the end result (after the theater blanks video and mutes audio for a few seconds while the handshake is going on) is I end up with the basic lossy (DTS Core?) track in both rooms which is not desirable. I am guessing this may be because my splitter device only supports DD 5.1?

The Lumagen will be in the chain for the main theater area as it offers some features that I want for that area. It will allow a 9x9x9 (729 point) LUT color calibration for the projecter, it also includes Darbee processing, and (presumably) a better 4K upscaler than what is available in either the 4520CI or the JVC RS57 projector, and I desire to use those features no matter the source. The Lumagen has two outputs with one optimized for "best" video going directly to the projector and the other optimized for "best" audio that will go to the 4520 for audio. In order to get this "best/best video/audio" setup, the Lumagen may only provide blank video to the 4520 to pass along over zone 4 for the 2nd room. Obviously blank video into the X3000 won't work!

As for why not run the video from Lumagen through the AVR is that Lumagen recommendation is to allow it to do the HDMI source switching. The Lumangen has capabilities of applying various optimization settings to each source input individually. For example - I may want Darbee processing at 20% for the Blu-Ray, 45% for DirecTV, and off for the media player.

The end result is that if I want to be able to share the sources between the two rooms, in order to get video in the 2nd room I pretty much have to split the HDMI signal at the source and there are a number of splitters available to do that. Now I could plug the split side directly into the 4520 and do the switching there - or given that I am getting the X3000 I can plug it directly into there (which may make remote programming easier as only the source and a single AVR will be involved). I see no benefit to doing the switching on the 4520 as I will pretty much always be using the Lumagen in front of the projector, and it seems it would be more complicated to do it that way.

I am encouraged by your (and jdsmoothie's) indication that there is no need to worry about lowest common denominator, even if the X3000 is configured for 5.1 + zone 2. I should receive the X3000 tomorrow, but it will probably be the weekend before I can get it set up and tested.

Thanks,
Bill

Last edited by bgoering; 09-09-2014 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Add additional information
post #8826 of 8848 Old 09-09-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
i tried the finger rub with a different cable connected to the sub and got a loud hum. Ill bite the dust this weekend and pull out the cabinet to access the rear of the receiver and test further. Ill try the save function whenever i get the sub working again. The auto setup did not recognize the sub when i reran it after the hard reset
hey jd, if the cable tests to be good and the sub is good, do you think multiple hard resets might help?

TV - LG 60LA7400
SUB - CERWIN VEGA HT 8
post #8827 of 8848 Old 09-09-2014, 03:18 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Only option left before sending off for repair. However, ensure all speakers are set to at least SMALL/80Hz and not using DIRECT/PURE DIRECT.

"JD" –

post #8828 of 8848 Old 09-10-2014, 08:07 AM

Quote:
^^
only option left before sending off for repair. However, ensure all speakers are set to at least small/80hz and not using direct/pure direct.
FINGER RUb confirms sub and cable ok, will try multiple hard resets. If that doesnt work ill have to send it in for repair.

TV - LG 60LA7400
SUB - CERWIN VEGA HT 8

Last edited by blr5150; 09-10-2014 at 08:32 AM. Reason: MISSING WORDS
post #8829 of 8848 Old 09-10-2014, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 118
The obvious question did you tell it in setup the sub was present

post #8830 of 8848 Old 09-10-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade View Post
the obvious question did you tell it in setup the sub was present
yes. It worked fine when i first setup receiver. Ran audissey the first time it set all speakers to small with sub present. Worked great for abouta month then all of a sudden no sub output on any source or any type of input, stereo, 5.1 ect.
jamese777 likes this.

TV - LG 60LA7400
SUB - CERWIN VEGA HT 8
post #8831 of 8848 Old 09-11-2014, 07:59 AM

Liked: 0
help with denon/pc setup.

Hi there,

I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I just picked up a used Denon AVR-x2000 and 5.1 speaker set to use primarily for movies using a HTPC (running Windows 7). I've been reading and basically at this point my head is spinning on how to set this up properly.

I currently have the htpc (a basic off the shelf Zotac unit) connected via HDMI to the denon. And then I have a HDMI from the denon to the TV. The TV itself is an older LG without the ARC feature. Will the above hookup provide the best audio? The HTPC also has an optical out if that matters, should I be using that instead?

From my playing around with it, if I set windows to use HDMI and 5.1, the receiver show Mutli CH but it only outputs stereo. If I set Windows to Stereo, then I have the ability to set the denon to use Cinema mode which then plays 5.1

I'm totally confused at this point.

Thanks in advance.
post #8832 of 8848 Old 09-11-2014, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hi Everyone. Sorry for spamming this (I also have a separate thread started), but I'd like as many eyes/suggestions as possible. Apologies.

AVR-X1000; Well, long story short, my latest round of HT "upgrades" has gone to hell. Fedex nuked one of my towers in shipment, the used BD player I bought is junk, none of the lights on the back of either of my towers amp panels are "on"; whereas yesterday it was just the nuked tower...and, the point of this post...my X1000 can't even run calibration on the new speakers without shutting down. That doesn't seem right to me, but what do I know? Not much, apparently.

Speakers are DefTech BP7001SC towers, CLR3000 center, SM45 rear surrounds, and 2 PSA XV15se subs. I just took delivery of the 7001/CLR3000 yesterday. Previously was running SM45's as L/R and SM65 as center w/o issue.

I tried to run audyssey a little while ago and it tries to bump up the volume on the CLR3000...then promptly shuts itself off. I tried to watch Prometheus DVD at levels I previously watched movies at (loudish, around -70...which means little, i know) and we got about a minute into and the AVR promptly shuts off.

Both towers (one missing a 6.5" front driver) are running just on speaker wire to the "High" inputs. The CLR is running on speaker wire to just the High. Settings are all Small w/ xo on L/R at 40, C at 60, rears at 80. Oddly enough, only one tower (L) has the jumper plate on the back...and even then only on the + side. The other tower has no plate. The Center has a jumper connecting High/Mid/Low (3) inputs.

Does this make sense? Listening at low levels seems fine...louder levels not so much...

As a salt-in-the-wound bonus, there are packing peanuts inside the Center lol. The rear bass port ate them up. Most of them have rattled/blown out...but there are still some in there that I'll have to dig out if I can ever play movies at/even near ref levels.

Do I need more AVR? If so, how much? would it be better to just get an external amp? Can I even do that with this little guy? ugh. Thanks for any/all replies.

DT BP7001SC (LR)
DT CLR3000 (C)
DT SM45 (Rears)
2x PSA XV15se (SW)
Denon AVR X1000
post #8833 of 8848 Old 09-11-2014, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovfan View Post
I currently have the htpc (a basic off the shelf Zotac unit) connected via HDMI to the denon. And then I have a HDMI from the denon to the TV. The TV itself is an older LG without the ARC feature. Will the above hookup provide the best audio? The HTPC also has an optical out if that matters, should I be using that instead?
Hi ovfan; connections are all right. ARC is not necessary unless you want the TV to be the audio source in some circumstances, but in that case you can run a digital optical link between the TV and the receiver. Sound coming from the HTPC will be played by the AVR (even if the TV is off).

While you could use the optical out on the HTPC, if you want to be able to say, bitstream DTS Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD from the HTPC to the AVR, you will need audio to go through HDMI. So the way you did it is just the best.

Quote:
From my playing around with it, if I set windows to use HDMI and 5.1, the receiver show Mutli CH but it only outputs stereo.
If the receiver shows Multi CH, then you set it correctly. This means Windows is outputting PCM format multichannel audio to the receiver. That being said, the content being played may be stereo or the software playing the audio may be set to play stereo. But you got the physical connection, and Windows config all right if the AVR is displaying Multi CH.

In fact you can test that using the Windows audio config wizard that you use to tell Windows to output 5.1 audio. There if you can play discrete sounds to all 5.1 channels, this means you're all set from the AVR down to Windows.

Quote:
If I set Windows to Stereo, then I have the ability to set the denon to use Cinema mode which then plays 5.1
Well this will be expanded stereo, not the original 5.1 content. Not what you want.

At this point I think you only need to tweak the software playing the audio and check the content itself. What are you trying to play and with which software?

post #8834 of 8848 Old 09-11-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
yes. It worked fine when i first setup receiver. Ran audissey the first time it set all speakers to small with sub present. Worked great for abouta month then all of a sudden no sub output on any source or any type of input, stereo, 5.1 ect.
Quick update. Performed 3 hard resets last night. AVR x2000 now has sub output. ran audissey and it recognized my sub and everything is fine again.

TV - LG 60LA7400
SUB - CERWIN VEGA HT 8
post #8835 of 8848 Old 09-12-2014, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quick ? on BLU-RAY SET-UP for X4000

Today I swapped my PS3 for a fresh out of the box PS4,
figured I didn't need to remove my 1.4 HDMI from the bluray input . . .
NADA!
It works using DVD and Multimedia inputs but why not the bluray.
page 43 of the manual is rather clear and to the point . .
i'm rather puzzled . .
appreciate any constructive directions

TY

Denon X4000 , Emotiva UPA7, Yamaha 663 for 12.3, configurable
Klipsch F3 FL/R, G-28 CB, Icon 25 CT,RC3II: SL/R SLX: Rears ,TF & TR
2 30" BF THTLP'S and SubMaximus and Inuke6000DSP
Mitsy DLP 73837 Xbox1 PS4 Panny BD 220
post #8836 of 8848 Old 09-12-2014, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 130
I hate the x4000. Because it's out for repair and it makes things so so much better. I don't even want to watch a movie during my day off.

Sony KDL-70R550A (passive 3D tv)
Denon x4000 (amazing sound correcting software)
Klipsch RF-62IIs (amazing horns)
Klipsch RC-62II (so clear)
Klipsch RS-41IIs (so full)
SVS PC12-NSD + Klipsch RW12d (so boom)
post #8837 of 8848 Old 09-12-2014, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by asarose247 View Post
Quick ? on BLU-RAY SET-UP for X4000

Today I swapped my PS3 for a fresh out of the box PS4,
figured I didn't need to remove my 1.4 HDMI from the bluray input . . .
NADA!
It works using DVD and Multimedia inputs but why not the bluray.
page 43 of the manual is rather clear and to the point . .
i'm rather puzzled . .
appreciate any constructive directions

TY
Have you tried the included HDMI with the PS4 yet? I don't think the cable is any different than the PS3 one becuase I used the same cable for a while switching my PS3 and PS4 back and forth. It might have been the PS4 cable I used though I'm not sure.

Sony KDL-70R550A (passive 3D tv)
Denon x4000 (amazing sound correcting software)
Klipsch RF-62IIs (amazing horns)
Klipsch RC-62II (so clear)
Klipsch RS-41IIs (so full)
SVS PC12-NSD + Klipsch RW12d (so boom)
post #8838 of 8848 Old 09-12-2014, 05:10 PM

^
The old cable (1.4) seems to work fine but I'll try switching cables around tomorrow .
TY

post #8839 of 8848 Old 09-12-2014, 06:51 PM
585-645-1006

^^
More often than not, HDMI issues end up being a cable problem.

"JD" –

post #8840 of 8848 Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM

re: post 8835 HDMI input confusion/failure

Resolved.
TY all

post #8841 of 8848 Old Yesterday, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 1181
Quote:
Originally Posted by asarose247 View Post
re: post 8835 HDMI input confusion/failure

Resolved.
TY all
What was the resolution?

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

post #8842 of 8848 Old Yesterday, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 376
1080p

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still [emoji107]
post #8843 of 8848 Old Yesterday, 10:37 PM

The HDMI input problem was that the blu-ray input , #3 , had become "unassigned" from the HDMI designation.
I don't know how that happened or when but it's all good.
Since my x4000 is only 2+ months old, jumping up to ATMPOS is in the plans as the speakers are on the ceiling but the AUOR/ATMOS enabled AVR has become an intriguing dark horse,
and the reports of the success of DSU make me want to hear more.
waiting 6-8 months for a X7200 shoulde be no problem . . .

Thanks

post #8844 of 8848 Old Yesterday, 11:10 PM

Liked: 0
This is actually a question i've been trying to find an answer for bit its a bit of an odd situation so need people with experience.

I have the option of these three receivers

Denon AVR-X3000 $538+tax (NEW) = $582
Denon AVR-X3000 (Store Demo, BB, No accessories) = $514
Yamaha RX-V775BT (from Costco for $489) = $529

the only thing i'm missing from Yamaha is that i can use 7.1 in the main room and when needed turn on zone 2 and have the main room go down to 5.1 and use 2.0 in the other room. With the denon it seems it will always remain either 5.1 or 7.1 and no way of switching between them. There's also no pre-amp outputs on the Denon. So i'm wondering if the sound and processing is that much better on the X3000 in comparison to the RX-V775. The Denon remote sucks too, can't use it like you can the yamaha to turn on accessories.

thanks for the advice!
post #8845 of 8848 Old Today, 01:07 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Audyssey on the Denon can EQ the subwoofer, while YPAO on the Yamaha at this level cannot.

"JD" –

post #8846 of 8848 Old Today, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Hi all,

Quick question concerning the operation of DTS Neo for music. I recall from my AVR2105 that DTS Neo:6 (music) left the L/R channels untouched, bypassing the decoder, while the other channels simply added to the "spaciousness" of the sound. Does the current DTS Neo:X (music) work this way also? My 2105 manual explicitly stated that, but I cannot find anything (including on DTS' main site) to suggest that this is still true. Thanks!

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

post #8847 of 8848 Old Today, 10:26 AM
585-645-1006

^^
The goal of DTS Neo:X is to simulate those channels that are missing, so in that sense would indeed leave the FL/FR untouched, however, does use the FL/FR and SL/SR audio simulating any missing channels (eg. Front Height, Front Wide, Surround Back).

"JD" –

post #8848 of 8848 Old Today, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
^^
The goal of DTS Neo:X is to simulate those channels that are missing, so in that sense would indeed leave the FL/FR untouched, however, does use the FL/FR and SL/SR audio simulating any missing channels (eg. Front Height, Front Wide, Surround Back).
Thanks!

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2309ci Receiver , Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Denon , Denon Electronics , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Denon Avr E200 , Denon Avr E300 , Denon Avr E400 , Denon Avr X2000 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X3000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X1000 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page