The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 296 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #8851 of 8877 Unread 09-15-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Thank you for the redirect to post 5. I will read it now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8852 of 8877 Unread Yesterday, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
My X4000 has started locking up, requiring unplugging the unit from the wall to reset. I didn't want to go back and read through almost 300 pages, so I'm going to ask... is this a common problem?
I am not going to say that we have completely solved the problem of the X4000 becoming unresponsive, but we have cut it at least in half by forgetting about static IP Addresses for the receivers and turning DHCP back on.

The "static IP" implementation of the X4000 is so fragile that it sometimes even spontaneously reverts to an old address without human intervention.

---- Dan in Saint Louis
post #8853 of 8877 Unread Yesterday, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi,

I have moved to Canada from the UK and I am considering picking up a Denon AVR-X4000 now that the X4100 is out and the X4000 price has gone down a bit. I have a UK Sony BDP blu ray player so that I can play back my UK blu rays and DVDs easily. Will the US/Canadian bought X4000 be able to handle European HD resolution such as 576p and 1080i/50 ? And will it upconvert the frame rate to /30 or /60? I'm hoping someone here has been in a similar position or at least knows the answers.

And if you know of any forum where they would know the same answers for an LED/LCD screen bought in Canada/US, that would be a bonus

Thanks,
Alastair

Last edited by abrxx; Yesterday at 09:07 AM.
post #8854 of 8877 Unread Yesterday, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Dan, I have the system on DHCP. That said, it doesn't work very well - trying to manage the system from the app results in about 1/4 of the time the system won't show up in the app. Trying to play SiriusXM works about the same, about 1/4 the time. Airplay works for a while, then stops, then starts, then stops... nothing across the network works perfectly. And now, as mentioned before, sometimes it locks up. Sometimes it locks up just powering up, sometimes it will lock up when I try to do anything network related. It is frustrating.
post #8855 of 8877 Unread Yesterday, 10:40 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 1493
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrxx View Post
Hi,

I have moved to Canada from the UK and I am considering picking up a Denon AVR-X4000 now that the X4100 is out and the X4000 price has gone down a bit. I have a UK Sony BDP blu ray player so that I can play back my UK blu rays and DVDs easily. Will the US/Canadian bought X4000 be able to handle European HD resolution such as 576p and 1080i/50 ? And will it upconvert the frame rate to /30 or /60? I'm hoping someone here has been in a similar position or at least knows the answers.

And if you know of any forum where they would know the same answers for an LED/LCD screen bought in Canada/US, that would be a bonus

Thanks,
Alastair
The resolutions of 576i and 576p are specifically mentioned while only 1080i is mentioned in the Owner's manual with upscaling to 1080p / 1080p/24Hz and to 4K/25/30/24 (X4000) and also to 4K/50/60 (X4100W).
abrxx likes this.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 

Last edited by jdsmoothie; Yesterday at 10:45 AM.
post #8856 of 8877 Unread Yesterday, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
Dan, I have the system on DHCP. That said, it doesn't work very well
I'm afraid I am familiar with your frustration. In over 25 years of working with computer networks I have never seen a network interface as fragile as the one in the X4000. In "fragile" I include primarily the logical system, although physical problems have been noted as well.

To set a "static" IP Address (DHCP off), save it; and come back to find it has reverted to a previous value is simply not acceptable.

I am anxious to test an X4100 and see if it has improved.

---- Dan in Saint Louis
post #8857 of 8877 Unread Yesterday, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in St. Louis View Post
I'm afraid I am familiar with your frustration. In over 25 years of working with computer networks I have never seen a network interface as fragile as the one in the X4000.
Well, try the Onkyo 818 then

Seriously, I'm not sure why AVRs are so flaky when it comes to their network stack. In the case of the X4000, the only symptoms I personally got was the network services becoming harder and harder to use (first the Favorites list as transmitted to the Denon app would constantly shift, making a selection impossible, then DLNA pushes would fail, and then all net services would become non-responsive). In that case, rebooting the X4000 (i.e. unplugging and re-plugging it) immediately solved the issue. Sure, it's a PITA. But on my Onkyo 818, some DLNA operations would crash the whole network stack (requiring the above solution) almost daily, so using the unit as a remote renderer was quite a risky proposition.

That's a shame considering how impressively well built is the Onkyo 818 (and also the X4000). If only a bit more care was taken with the software side of things, these devices could be so much more in my opinion.

post #8858 of 8877 Unread Yesterday, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Setting remote X4000 to turn on my Mitsubushi TV
yeah i'm a little late to the game , however,
in spite of the instructions on p 204 and 205 of the manual, and having the codes and opposable thumbs . . .
would anyone care to share or point me in the direction of a straight forward and working button pushing sequence
and yes its in the main area

TY

Denon X4000 , Emotiva UPA7, Yamaha 663 for 12.3, configurable
Klipsch F3 FL/R, G-28 CB, Icon 25 CT,RC3II: SL/R SLX: Rears ,TF & TR
2 30" BF THTLP'S and SubMaximus and Inuke6000DSP
Mitsy DLP 73837 Xbox1 PS4 Panny BD 220
post #8859 of 8877 Unread Yesterday, 02:05 PM
585-645-1006

How to program the Denon X4000 remote to control the TV

It's not obvious from the Owner's manual, but you will need to press/hold the "TV Audio + Setup" buttons on the remote until the 3 lights flash, then enter each of the 5 digit codes in the back of the Owner's manual one at a time until one works. If none of the "4" Mitsubishi TV codes works with your TV, consider a universal remote (eg. Harmony).

"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; Yesterday at 02:21 PM.
post #8860 of 8877 Unread Yesterday, 02:22 PM

^
I didn't say the codes don't work,
I can't get a green light to blink for the TV and an intelligent/understandable sign/indication that it is time to enter the code(s)
I can get ALL Three to blink, at the same time and they do - twice-then blank
I can get the main/options to blink but its blinking the AVR
and the remote does not show a TV "only" button, yeah you can get "TV Audio"
so somewhere in all of that is a major SNAFU, yeah it could be me but . . .
which is why I specifically asked for the sequence, which should be what , 3 or so simple/combo button pushes.
that's as simple a request as I can make it . .

TY

post #8861 of 8877 Unread Yesterday, 02:50 PM
585-645-1006

^^
1. Press/hold "TV Audio" + "Setup"
2. Wait for 3 lights to flash
3. Release buttons
4. Enter 5 digit TV code

"JD" –

post #8862 of 8877 Unread Yesterday, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey i have a reliability question about the Denon and extended warranty. I actually picked up a AVR-X3000 for $540+tax at a local magnolia store within BB and picked up 4yrs of warranty for $80 as well. I've always owned Yamaha's the latest one being the RX-V673 receiver which is solid like a rock, but i keep hearing that Denon's have issues from time to time. I know forums usually only attract individuals when problems are involved so it may not be a good indicator but just wanted to get your opinions on the price i paid and reliability of the unit. And if you guys recommend keeping the 4yr parallel warranty on the unit.

Thanks in advance.
post #8863 of 8877 Unread Yesterday, 04:56 PM
585-645-1006

^^
The AVR comes with a 3 year warranty and your credit card most likely will add the 4th year for free. Consider instead a Harmony remote. Your wife/girlfriend will thank you for it.

"JD" –

post #8864 of 8877 Unread Yesterday, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Denon noob here. I just hooked up my Klipsch RF-82 II's and RC-62 II to my X4000 and have a few questions. I'm coming from a Pioneer Elite receiver so everything is very different for me.

1. I ran Audyessy and was confused by it asking me to move the mic 8 times. I left in the same place for now until I set up my surrounds later. Is this ok?

2. Pioneer's MCACC had so many listening modes, but I only see a few on the X4000. Am I missing something?

3. I normally always had the Pioneer on the Direct listening mode for tv/movies/sports and stereo for music. What do you guys recommend on the X4000?

4. Whenever I want to play my iphone/ipod, it saw "browse ipod" on the screen, but I do not hear anything through the speakers. The ipod shows that it's playing, but I don't hear anything. This happens most of time.

5. I also noticed that sometimes the screen on the receiver is completely blank or that the center part (where is says the source and listening mode) is blank. What's up with that?

Hopefully these aren't issues and just some settings that I missed. I only went with Denon because everyone says that Audyssey is better than MCACC.
post #8865 of 8877 Unread Yesterday, 06:20 PM
585-645-1006

^^
1. More mic positions provides more data for Audyssey. Take mic positions 2-7 within a 2' radius of mic 1 position.
2. Nope. Extra modes are a waste.
3. DIRECT/PURE DIRECT disables the EQ . You'll want to use either DD or DTS to ensure Audyssey is enabled.
5. Video Conversion setting must be ON for each source that you want the GUI to overlay on the source video.

"JD" –

post #8866 of 8877 Unread Yesterday, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
1. More mic positions provides more data for Audyssey. Take mic positions 2-7 within a 2' radius of mic 1 position.
2. Nope. Extra modes are a waste.
3. DIRECT/PURE DIRECT disables the EQ . You'll want to use either DD or DTS to ensure Audyssey is enabled.
5. Video Conversion setting must be ON for each source that you want the GUI to overlay on the source video.
So the only listening modes I have are the green (movie), red (music), blue (game), and yellow (pure) buttons?

What listening mode do you recommend for watching TV or sports? Green (movie)? I'm guessing DTS will automatically be enabled if I'm watching a blu-ray and set it on green (movie)?

I have no idea what you're talking about in number 5. Whenever I play my ipod the screen on the RECEIVER says IPOD/USB on it and sometimes it doesn't say anything. One times the ENTIRE screen was black even though the receiver was on.
post #8867 of 8877 Unread Yesterday, 06:41 PM

I figured out why the screen was blank. This happens when the listening mode is on Pure Direct.
post #8868 of 8877 Unread Yesterday, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk3_wagen View Post
So the only listening modes I have are the green (movie), red (music), blue (game), and yellow (pure) buttons?

Hi Mk3_wagen, press and hold Movie, Music or Game button will display a list of sound modes that can be selected.
Mk3_wagen likes this.
post #8869 of 8877 Unread Yesterday, 06:48 PM

Thnak you jd...

^^
1. Press/hold "TV Audio" + "Setup"
2. Wait for 3 lights to flash
3. Release buttons
4. Enter 5 digit TV code

elapsed time 10-12 seconds

post #8870 of 8877 Unread Yesterday, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post
Hi Mk3_wagen, press and hold Movie, Music or Game button will display a list of sound modes that can be selected.
Thanks! So Dolby Digital is going to sound the same no matter if it's set on movie, music, or game?

Also, what mode do guys recommend for music and sports? I guess I can leave it on Dolby Digital for TV and DTS for Blu-rays.

On my Pioneer I always left it on Direct. If the source was Dolby Digital or DTS it would automatically change. Commercials were usually stereo.
post #8871 of 8877 Unread Yesterday, 08:14 PM

Seems like the Direct setting is the same as on my Pioneers. It automatically changes to DD, DTS, stereo, etc. This correct?
post #8872 of 8877 Unread Today, 03:14 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

What listening mode do you recommend for watching TV or sports? Green (movie)? I'm guessing DTS will automatically be enabled if I'm watching a blu-ray and set it on green (movie)?

I have no idea what you're talking about in number 5. Whenever I play my ipod the screen on the RECEIVER says IPOD/USB on it and sometimes it doesn't say anything. One times the ENTIRE screen was black even though the receiver was on.

What mode is used is based on personal preference.

Quote:
I figured out why the screen was blank. This happens when the listening mode is on Pure Direct.

You will likely never want to use DIRECT/PURE DIRECT as both modes disable Audyssey and bass management. PURE DIRECT shuts off all analog video processing as well as blanks out the front panel display on the AVR after a few seconds.

Quote:
Thanks! So Dolby Digital is going to sound the same no matter if it's set on movie, music, or game?

Also, what mode do guys recommend for music and sports? I guess I can leave it on Dolby Digital for TV and DTS for Blu-rays.

On my Pioneer I always left it on Direct. If the source was Dolby Digital or DTS it would automatically change. Commercials were usually stereo.

No, this is not correct, which is why there are 3 different buttons (Movie - emphasizes center channel for better dialogue; Music - emphasizes FL/FR for stereo effect, Game - emphasizes the surrounds). The surround mode you select will be remembered so that if you want stereo audio to be played in your whole 5.1 setup, you select DD PLII when a commercial is playing. Thereafter, whenever a stereo audio signal is received, whether from a commercial or TV show, the DD PLII surround mode will engage and simulate 5.1 audio to all speakers.

Quote:
Seems like the Direct setting is the same as on my Pioneers. It automatically changes to DD, DTS, stereo, etc. This correct?

No. It is simply remembered and used with whatever source audio was playing when you selected it. Again, DIRECT/PURE DIRECT should never be used unless you want to disable Audyssey and bass management.

"JD" –

post #8873 of 8877 Unread Today, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
You will likely never want to use DIRECT/PURE DIRECT as both modes disable Audyssey and bass management. PURE DIRECT shuts off all analog video processing as well as blanks out the front panel display on the AVR after a few seconds.

No. It is simply remembered and used with whatever source audio was playing when you selected it. Again, DIRECT/PURE DIRECT should never be used unless you want to disable Audyssey and bass management.
I guess Direct is different on the Pioneer receivers. I've always had it set on Direct and it changes to DD, DTS, Stereo, or True HD depending on what I'm watching at the moment. In the manual it also says that Direct still uses MCACC.
post #8874 of 8877 Unread Today, 06:32 AM
585-645-1006

^^
DIRECT on Pioneer apparently just passes the bitstream audio and in that instance, EQ would be enabled. On Denon AVRs you do this by simply selecting DD/DTS.

"JD" –

post #8875 of 8877 Unread Today, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
AVR-X2000 Speaker question

Hello. I have been thinking about purchasing the Denon AVR-X2000 but am wondering if it has enough power to efficiently drive my Polk RM7500 speakers with the PSW-650 sub.
Room size is 20x20 with 18ft ceiling

Thanks
post #8876 of 8877 Unread Today, 07:33 AM
585-645-1006

^^
If they are 8-ohm and at least 87db efficiency shouldn't be a problem especially if what you're using now isn't a problem.

"JD" –

post #8877 of 8877 Unread Today, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the response. The satellites and rears are 89dB SPL and the center is 91dB SPL. The manual says they are compatible with 8 ohm outputs. I am currently using a Pioneer Elite VSX-55TXi but that unit is 11 yrs old and has no HDMI inputs/outputs. I do not want to spend what i spent on the 55txi on a new receiver but want one that is reliable and has good audio quality.
thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rm7500-spec.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	266538  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2309ci Receiver , Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Denon , Denon Electronics , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Denon Avr E200 , Denon Avr E300 , Denon Avr E400 , Denon Avr X2000 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X3000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X1000 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread