The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 297 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8881 of 8894 Old Today, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 1219
Yes, just set Zone 2 input to "Source" (not available on the remote, but you can do it through the remote app or the web browser) and it will always mirror the main zone.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8882 of 8894 Old Today, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Problem with shut down

As per suggestion I am reposting this here

Oops the name of the receiver didnt carry over- I have the
Denon AVR-E400

Hi All,

I recently purchased this receiver- I just moved into a new house and my bedroom has speakers built into it as does my bathroom. I got the receiver refurbished from amazon and set it up with the bathroom speakers being zone 2. It will play those speakers up to about volume 49 (which is not that loud) - anything higher than that and the receiver shuts itself off (protection mode). I figured maybe I had messed something up so I had a professional installer come out and look at it, he couldn't get it to work as zone 2 but ran the bathroom speakers into the same port as the regular front speakers and it seemed to be working (though not multizone). Then this morning it shut off and went into protection mode again. Looking around online there seems to be many people having the same problem, some recommend going to a Dennon repair place but there is none in Nevada. I should note that prior to this I used my roomates old receiver and it ran all the speakers fine (but was not multi zone) so I can't imagine its a speaker/wire problem.

I have about one week before my amazon return period is up- so my question is is there something I can do to fix this? If not does anyone have a rec for a lower end multizone receiver?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

To answer the questions asked there

Where are the most reports of common failure? Is it general shutdown or zone2 use only?

I can play the main zone (the 5.1 in the bedroom) at ear shattering volume and it never shuts off. It only shuts off when I play the bathroom speakers in zone 2- those play up to about volume 49 (which is not that loud) and once I go louder the receiver shuts off in a minute or less

Start with the basics. Can you connect just two speakers to the main zone front and play loud in each room by itself?
Yes
Is it a failure only when using zone2 or only when both zones are being used at the same time? Try to isolate what
connection scenarios work and what changes/additions were made to cause the shutdown.

It will shut off with just zone 2 when wired that way. This morning when the speakers were all set to the regular 5.1 (with the bathroom speakers doubled in) it shut off after about 10 minutes of playing (at not a loud volume)

Last edited by Scott Phillips; Today at 11:48 AM.
post #8883 of 8894 Old Today, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Scott, so far only the surround back/zone2 speaker binding posts are failing? Try reassigning those two channels to
surround back and see if still shuts off. Try to identify the speaker model/specs being used. The ohm ratings
are the most important. So you are saying zone2 fails even when zone1 is off (2 speakers driven only) or only
when all seven are playing together. Just 2 speakers only is really bad. Defective. Only when all 7 driven. Maybe not.

If this is the first time you have used these speakers/wiring I would try them as front left/right only at high volume.
There could be a defective speaker or shorted strands of speaker wire causing this.

Last edited by kikkenit2; Today at 12:28 PM.
post #8884 of 8894 Old Today, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not sure if this is the right thread but I'm looking to purchase the Denon AVR SW900. I have a set of outdoor speakers and I plan on running 7.1 surround in my living room. Will this AVR be able to run both at the same time? I believe it can do 5.1 but I'm not sure about 7.1.
post #8885 of 8894 Old Today, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkenit2 View Post
Scott, so far only the surround back/zone2 speaker binding posts are failing? Try reassigning those two channels to
surround back and see if still shuts off. Try to identify the speaker model/specs being used. The ohm ratings
are the most important. So you are saying zone2 fails even when zone1 is off (2 speakers driven only) or only
when all seven are playing together. Just 2 speakers only is really bad. Defective. Only when all 7 driven. Maybe not.

If this is the first time you have used these speakers/wiring I would try them as front left/right only at high volume.
There could be a defective speaker or shorted strands of speaker wire causing this.
All the speakers works when run with a different older Dennon receiver (at loud volume). For the 400, playing just zone 2 louder than volume 49 cause it to shut off/go into protect mode. This happens both when they were assigned to zone 2 and when they were doubled into the other speaker ports.
post #8886 of 8894 Old Today, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Phillips View Post
All the speakers works when run with a different older Dennon receiver (at loud volume). For the 400, playing just zone 2 louder than volume 49 cause it to shut off/go into protect mode. This happens both when they were assigned to zone 2 and when they were doubled into the other speaker ports.
Sounds defective to me. I would replace it. Maybe somebody else has a better idea.
T100 likes this.
post #8887 of 8894 Old Today, 01:16 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by tino5k View Post
Not sure if this is the right thread but I'm looking to purchase the Denon AVR SW900. I have a set of outdoor speakers and I plan on running 7.1 surround in my living room. Will this AVR be able to run both at the same time? I believe it can do 5.1 but I'm not sure about 7.1.
Actually, no, you want the 2014 Owner's thread linked below, and no, you can't use the S900W, rather you must upgrade to the X2100W which is also a 7CH AVR but unlike the S900W also has a set of Zone 2 pre-outs which you would use to connect to an external 2CH amp to power the Living Room speakers.

The 'Official' 2014 Denon "S Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ

---------------------------------
"JD" –
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #8888 of 8894 Old Today, 01:23 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Phillips View Post
What impedance are the bathroom speakers? What happens when you swap the FL/FR and SBL/SBR speaker wires? Does powering the FL/FR speakers as Zone 2 still shut the AVR down? If not, more likely an issue with either low impedance speakers or possibly an issue with the Zone 2 speaker wires.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #8889 of 8894 Old Today, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

+1 -- if those are the only two speakers that cause it to shut down I would strongly suspect an issue with either the speakers or the wiring.

Is there any kind of in-line volume control for the speakers? That could be a potential problem spot as well.

If the receiver has no problem powering your other speakers to loud volumes then it seems unlikely it's the receiver.
post #8890 of 8894 Old Today, 01:44 PM

I am at work now but when I get home I will try the wires in the other ports (prob not the right word) and see what happens. There is a volume control built into the wall- the bathroom speakers were basically silent until I turned it almost all the way up.

Thanks for all the responses
post #8891 of 8894 Old Today, 02:10 PM

Liked: 1
I tried setting zone 2 to source but for some reason when my source is the Apple TV i can't get any audio out of Zone 2 preamp outputs. Anyone else have experience with this?
post #8892 of 8894 Old Today, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekash View Post
I tried setting zone 2 to source but for some reason when my source is the Apple TV i can't get any audio out of Zone 2 preamp outputs. Anyone else have experience with this?
What model do you have? If you are connected via HDMI, be aware that only the X3000 and X4000 can output digital audio to Zone 2.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

post #8893 of 8894 Old Today, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
Is it possible to select a source that is connected via HDMI (I have the X2000) and have the receiver send a power-on command via CEC to it? In this case it would be a Panasonic L42E60 connected via HDMI. Thanks!
post #8894 of 8894 Old Today, 07:57 PM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
What model do you have? If you are connected via HDMI, be aware that only the X3000 and X4000 can output digital audio to Zone 2.
sorry, i've actually got the X3000 with Apple TV connected using HDMI 4 and then zone 2 is connected via preamp output L/R to a bose system in the other room. I can turn on all zone stereo and it works sound comes into zone 2 but if i set zone 2 input to hdmi 4 (apple tv) or even set it to source then no audio comes out from the preamp out. Called Denon and they said its has to be something to do with appleTV... I can't even use ARC to play onto zone 2.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2309ci Receiver , Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Denon , Denon Electronics , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Denon Avr E200 , Denon Avr E300 , Denon Avr E400 , Denon Avr X2000 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X3000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X1000 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page