The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 304 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-14-2014, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Another X4000 user with the flashing red light shutdown, First happened a couple of months ago (several times). Rapid flashing red light. I checked all the speaker lines (all are banana plugs) and did the soft reset as discussed above. Suddenly happened again yesterday (only once). I called Denon and got a lot of questions about clearances around the AVR, etc. Seems to me the issue is not overheating as that would lead to a slowly flashing red light. Rep. then asked about speaker impedance -- my Mirage OM-9's may go down to 6 ohm but are rated at a nominal 8, so no explanation there. Finally the rep asked that I turn the AVR off, then press and hold both the "Zone 3 Source" and "Status" buttons while turning the AVR on. This brings up a brief menu of items including "Protection" I scrolled to "Protection" and hit enter (as requested). The AVR turned off and then back on. The rep said that the AVR should indicate something about the cause for previous protection shutdowns - but had ne explanation for why it did not. He did not feel that I should send the unit (A4L refurb) in for service yet. While I am concerned about returning the unit for service as they might well not be able to duplicate the problem - after all it was 2-3 months between problems and the AVR had worked fine for 8 months before that - what is the consensus here about my nest step. Should I wait for it to happen again? Will the "Protection" item return any useful information? Should I buy an extended service plan? Please note that I have never had this problem before in a series of Denon AVR's (AVR 1010, 3508, 3608, 3808, 3311) with the same wiring and most with the same speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2014, 07:49 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3531 Post(s)
Liked: 2131
^^
If the issue is not easily repeatable and there is nothing displayed in Protection History, not likely worth it, however, for peace of mind, it may be worth the shipping charge in case they are able to locate the problem. Best to get it done before the 1 year warranty expires.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call only for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
Old 10-14-2014, 09:39 AM

Thanks for the reply. It just went off again. I immediately checked "Protection" with no results (sigh). Time to ship it I am afraid.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
X4000 red light flashing (fast)

My X4000 has started shutting down and flashing red. its been doing it for about a week sometimes will not shut down for a few days and one night it shut down 8 times in 2 hours. disconnected all but front speakers and ran new speaker wires to the front. still shut down. called Denon they told me the unit was damaged by lightning strike or a power surge. there have not been bads storms lately and all my other equipment is fine. I have a 2013ci in my bedroom and that was just repaird last fall. i starting to think Denon's are junk. I have noticed when i shut it down it makes a poping sound that sounds different than before. oddly my 2013ci also made this same different sound when it was going out.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 0
X4000 Handshaking issue.....

Hello all, I hope I am posting this in the correct section. I will try to put it into 2 parts....

Part1:

I have recently set up my new equipment (Will list below) and have a problem receiving any picture or sound to my TV. Every other input seems to work fine except my cable input. I have ALL my components going to my receiver via HDMI and then (1) HDMI cable going from the Denon receiver "ARC Monitor" input into my TV "HDMI 1 ARC" input. When I turn on the devices all I get is DENON across the screen.

I called Denon and they advised me to try and plug the cable HDMI coming from the actual Xfinity/Comcast X1 box (Samsung RNG150N) into the "Game" input. When I do this I get both audio through my surround and video through my TV.

Is there a better solution than jumping to the "Game" port?

Part 2:

Also, Comcast/Xfinity sent me this email in response: "I found more information. True surround sound only works with the fiber optic cord , not hdmi cord. hdmi cord only plays stereo. Have customer connect hdmi direct to tv set, and fiber optic cord to stereo system. with audio in x1 guide set it to surround sound, and then customer will see 5.1 lite up on stereo system.This is the only way it works."

I was under the impression that HDMI would work fine with the surround through the ARC? When I tried switching the X1 to "surround" inside the settings it knocked out my speakers and played through the TV.

I hooked up through the "game" input with the ARC from the receiver to the TV (the way Denon said to fix) I put on ESPNHD. I then held down the "game" on the Denon controller and switched to multi-channel. The sound played through all of my speakers and the receiver read: Game (TV) HDMI, DIG, PCM, Audyssey M1.

I hope this wasn't too much for 1 post.......

- Denon AVR-X4000
- Infinity P-363's
- Infinity C351
- Definitive Pro Monitor 800 (rear surrounds)
- Rythmik FV15HP
- Sony Blu-Ray BDPS3200
- Xfinity/Comcast X1 service (Samsung RNG150N box)
- Sharp Aquos LC-60LE650U

Last edited by Autorotate; 10-14-2014 at 09:13 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Since prices for 2013 line have dramatically drop due to the Dolby Atmos breakdown on new models, I am looking at the X4000 once again. Question is, can Heights and Wides be played simultaneously with Neo X (assuming of course and external amp is used for 9.2 expansion)? Or is this feature only possible on the 4520 flagship?

And also, can the 4520 output digital sound (optical/coax) to Zones 2 or 3?

Sorry if this inquiries have been already answered, thread too long to search...

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2014, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhattan View Post
Since prices for 2013 line have dramatically drop due to the Dolby Atmos breakdown on new models, I am looking at the X4000 once again. Question is, can Heights and Wides be played simultaneously with Neo X (assuming of course and external amp is used for 9.2 expansion)? Or is this feature only possible on the 4520 flagship?

Sorry if this inquiries have been already answered, thread too long to search...

Thanks!

Yes

Yes, but so can the x4000

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still [emoji107]
Old 10-15-2014, 04:08 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhattan View Post

Thanks!
1. Yes, the X4000 can expand to 9CH in the main zone to play both when 2CH amp is added.
2. No, the 4520CI cannot, but the X4000 can. The X4000 can also output HDMI input to Zone 2 as well independent from the main zone.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call only for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 10-15-2014 at 05:54 AM.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:33 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autorotate View Post
Hello all, I hope I am posting this in the correct section. I will try to put it into 2 parts....

Part1:

I have recently set up my new equipment (Will list below) and have a problem receiving any picture or sound to my TV. Every other input seems to work fine except my cable input. I have ALL my components going to my receiver via HDMI and then (1) HDMI cable going from the Denon receiver "ARC Monitor" input into my TV "HDMI 1 ARC" input. When I turn on the devices all I get is DENON across the screen.

I called Denon and they advised me to try and plug the cable HDMI coming from the actual Xfinity/Comcast X1 box (Samsung RNG150N) into the "Game" input. When I do this I get both audio through my surround and video through my TV.

Is there a better solution than jumping to the "Game" port?

Part 2:

Also, Comcast/Xfinity sent me this email in response: "I found more information. True surround sound only works with the fiber optic cord , not hdmi cord. hdmi cord only plays stereo. Have customer connect hdmi direct to tv set, and fiber optic cord to stereo system. with audio in x1 guide set it to surround sound, and then customer will see 5.1 lite up on stereo system.This is the only way it works."

I was under the impression that HDMI would work fine with the surround through the ARC? When I tried switching the X1 to "surround" inside the settings it knocked out my speakers and played through the TV.

I hooked up through the "game" input with the ARC from the receiver to the TV (the way Denon said to fix) I put on ESPNHD. I then held down the "game" on the Denon controller and switched to multi-channel. The sound played through all of my speakers and the receiver read: Game (TV) HDMI, DIG, PCM, Audyssey M1.

I hope this wasn't too much for 1 post.......

- Denon AVR-X4000
- Infinity P-363's
- Infinity C351
- Definitive Pro Monitor 800 (rear surrounds)
- Rythmik FV15HP
- Sony Blu-Ray BDPS3200
- Xfinity/Comcast X1 service (Samsung RNG150N box)
- Sharp Aquos LC-60LE650U
1. The 'Official' 2014 Denon "S Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ

2. Many TVs will only output PCM 2.0 when using HDMI(ARC) whereas the TV's optical will output 5.1.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
Old 10-15-2014, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 154
With the prices falling I thought if upgrading my Denon 3806 to the x4000. With the reviews and protection mode issues is this going to be a problem?
Old 10-15-2014, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1583 Post(s)
Liked: 1860
I don't think so. Remember that you aren't hearing from the thousands of owners who have zero issues. And you get a 3-year warranty if the worst case scenario happens.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Old 10-15-2014, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post
With the prices falling I thought if upgrading my Denon 3806 to the x4000. With the reviews and protection mode issues is this going to be a problem?
I have had my 4000 for nearly a year and have had no issues with it at all. I agree with Batpig, the majority of users don't post unless there is a problem or a question. Just my two cents. Good luck with your upgrade. JT

My meager set up
Denon AVR-X4000, Emotiva XPA-3, Panasonic DMB-BDT360
Klipsch RB-81II, RC-52II, Boston Acoustics Micro 120s
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1227096
Old 10-15-2014, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 203
I have had my x4000 for 6 months with no issues. I don't use the Wifi or anything but no issues with it using a HTPC hooked to it and using both HDMI outputs to power a small flat screen for computer use and my projector for movies/tv. 5.2 speaker setup.

Denon X4000 - Klipsch KLF-10 Fronts - Klipsch KLF-C7 Center - Klipsch KLF-C7 X 2 Surrounds - Dual HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subs - BenQ W1070 projector - 106" Antra fixed Screen - 3D powered by AMD home built computer
Old 10-15-2014, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnnt29 View Post
I have had my 4000 for nearly a year and have had no issues with it at all. I agree with Batpig, the majority of users don't post unless there is a problem or a question. Just my two cents. Good luck with your upgrade. JT
I've only had mine a few months, but it's been flawless too.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:02 AM

My 2013ci was flawless for 11 months and my x4000 was flawless for 14 month. im just venting a little. its just with both my Denons failing i have to question there build quality. probably just my bad luck.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:08 AM

Well, yes -- mine was flawless for 7-8 months before the problems began. Yes, you have a warranty -- but it seems to me that in at least some of the cases Denon service has not been able to replicate the problem and returns the unit to you unrepaired. Do any of the users with the problem have any experiences to report? BTW, I still LOVE my (defective) X4000, which is going off for service next week.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:30 AM

I called service and they told me if it doesn't act up while they have it they will just send it back.
i have not sent in my x4000 yet. i am waiting for it to get worse but in the last few weeks it shuts down randomly and sometime not for days.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have a quick question which I hope has not already been answered because I have looked and could not find:

I have plugged my computer via hdmi into my X2000 receiver for sound and display on my television. I adjusted speaker setup etc and everything works fine. The X2000 displays Muti Channel in and I'm getting good sound.

If I happen to turn of the receiver then my settings are lost and it reverts to sound from my computer and my receiver no longer shows as a playback device. Only when I restart my computer will it recognize it as a playback device and play sound. The video always works.

I'm not sure if this is a computer setting or receiver setting. If anyone could help I would be grateful, if not then I will continue looking.

Thanks in advance,

Ryan.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryancpowers View Post
I
If I happen to turn of the receiver then my settings are lost and it reverts to sound from my computer and my receiver no longer shows as a playback device. Only when I restart my computer will it recognize it as a playback device and play sound. The video always works.

I'm not sure if this is a computer setting or receiver setting. If anyone could help I would be grateful, if not then I will continue looking.
I think this has to do with your HDMI output not being your default playback device.

On Win7, if you right-click on the speaker tray icon then choose "playback devices" you will get the Playback tab of the Sound options dialog. There you can see which playback devices are active. If one device that is not the default is disconnected then reconnected, I guess it won't automatically be turned on there.

If you select your HDMI output and right-click it to select it as your default device, I believe it should be activated when the X2000 is turned on. In all other cases your computer speakers should act as the fallback device.

If this doesn't work I'm not sure what else you could try...
ryancpowers likes this.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryancpowers View Post
Not following, what are you expecting to happen when you turn the AVR off? Sounds like it's functioning properly to me.

Or are you trying to say that when you turn the AVR back on the audio still plays through the computer? If so try neutro's suggestion of setting your HDMI output as the default audio device. If that still doesn't work then I would pose the question to the manufacturer of your audio device/drivers.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yes, sorry I meant when I turn the AVR back on. I will try neutro's suggestion.

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quick question. I have an old Pioneer VSX-9700s sitting around.
http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_lib...sx-9700s.shtml
Is that able to be used to expand my X4000 to handle 9.1? Or used as an amp in another room? Do I need another amp in another room? Sorry, the more I read the more confused I'm getting since I've never had any need for external amps. I'm thinking I just need an amp in another zone if I've used up the 7.1 in the main zone already, right?

Currently running 5.1 in living room for movies, have satellites for heights in the future, am considering adding wides (will test with my satellites to see if I think it's worth it).
Have speaker wire out to patio, not using that yet.

So if all I want is 7.1 in the main zone OR to use zone 2 or 3 I don't need external amp.
If I want 7.1 in main zone AND zone 2/3 I do need?
If I want 5.1 in main zone AND zone 2+3 I do need?

In all honesty I'll probably stay at 7.1 in the living room at the most but you never know... if all I need is another pair of surrounds I might go for it.

Denon AVR-X4000 | Klipsch RF82 - RC62 - RS62 - (RSX4 satellites not hooked up yet) | av123 MFW-15 subwoofer
Old 10-16-2014, 02:49 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Yes, the Pioneer can be used. The X4000 is a 7CH AVR so powering more than 7 speakers will require an additional amp (for either 9.1 or 5.1+Zone 2 + Zone 3).
Onk Yo likes this.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
Old 10-18-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, just traveled about 40 minutes to a Besy Buy to purchase my X4000. All the local ones ran out or had the display model. They wanted $1299.99 and told they guy that I wanted a price match for the $799, he could not believe it was so cheap. So he had one sealed and one floor model. So after PM and my gift cards from my iPhone 5's it was $397 out of pocket.

A funny thing was we visited a store about 10 miles away and they had the floor model priced at $899. The guy told me I could have it for $850, lol.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know what those thin plastic pieces are on the top of the receiver.

Last edited by bluer101; 10-18-2014 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post
Does anyone know what those thin plastic pieces are on the top of the receiver.
My best guess is that the metal grill underneath was getting too hot to touch, so they provide some insulation to protect your fingers.

---- Dan in Saint Louis
Old 10-19-2014, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 190
so what is the upgrade option for on the x4000? Seems worthless.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:13 AM
585-645-1006

^^
It has always been a setting on networking models to allow for an a "paid" upgrade, however, none has been offered on any models in the past 4 years or so. It will be used on the new 2014 Atmos models when the Auro 3D firmware upgrade becomes available in December.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 10-19-2014 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
avrx-4000 bluetooth

any advice on adding a Bluetooth adapter to avrx-4000? manufacturer, model, set up, other considerations? I want to hear music I find from the web (u tube, from friends on facebook) on the receiver, when I am too lazy (or unable) to get up and plug the iPhone or ipad into the receiver.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:00 PM
585-645-1006

^^
As long as your X4000 is connected to your home's Wifi router, you can just use Airplay.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST

Tags
Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , dolby digital plus , netflix 5.1