The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #901 of 8170 Old 06-23-2013, 06:04 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 42,795
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by William K View Post

I made a trip to BB and I liked the sound of the Marantz better than the Denon. Do you think XT32 would be enough of a change when in the house to sway a person in effect to equal out the differences in sound between the Denon and Marantz?

Yup. A number of owners in the Denon 4311CI indicated as much going from the Marantz 7005 (XT) to either the 4311CI or A100 both of which are the first Denon AVRs to incorporate XT32. In fact at least one was able to get rid of his 5CH amp in the process which he used to power his 4-ohm speakers, although both of these models are designed to power 4-ohm speakers at reference volume whereas the X4000 is not.
SanchoPanza likes this.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #902 of 8170 Old 06-23-2013, 06:09 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 42,795
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by yank252001 View Post

hello

Quick question. I connection my Acer table to usb port on front of denon avr.
My problem is that that tv read no connection. any thought on this?

thanks

USB is audio only and then generally only 2CH. What type of audio are you trying to pass?

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #903 of 8170 Old 06-23-2013, 06:12 PM
Newbie
 
yank252001's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello

I was trying to get video. thanks for your help

Also does airplay video work?

Thanks
yank252001 is offline  
post #904 of 8170 Old 06-23-2013, 06:33 PM
Newbie
 
hansen3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter View Post

I wanted to share my experience with the X3000 on a couple of issues.

Even if Zone 2 is powered off, the HDMI matrix switch will handshake at the lowest common denominator of digital audio support between the 2 hdmi output devices. So even with my TV off and Z2 powered off, the receiver will handshake my input devices down to stereo. I went through all the settings and several microprocessor resets before I realized what was going on. Kind of annoying but it is easy enough to switch Z2 to another input so that I get Dolby Digital back.

I have zone 2 set to PCM rather than pass through and when zone 2 is turned off zone 1 returns to 5.1. No need to switch zone 2 input.
hansen3 is offline  
post #905 of 8170 Old 06-23-2013, 09:46 PM
Member
 
Shop per's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just setup my E400. It was shipped in Denon carton only.... from Calif to east coast.

I ran into 2 system problems.

I am wondering if anybody else has had similar out-of-the box experience or if I have
a lemon or damage from shipping. I have never had a problem with any equipment
I bought online before over the last 25 years.

1) Twice during setup, I did not get sound from the Front-Left & center channel when
I wired up the speakers (1st time in a test room...and then, 2nd time in the TV room).
With E400 not plugged in, I wired up 4 sprks fronts and surrounds, (no center yet)
BR, & CableTV...located the unit in a rack, and then plugged AC. To my disappointment,
no Front Left channel both times (and the Center channel in the initial test room setup).

I did a proc reboot and it restored the F-L channel each time. Is there something
about the sequence in wiring each spkr that must be followed? I did it without following
the on-screen 'easy setup guide' steps.

2) I'm using a zyxel 500mbs powerline adapters for ethernet. I get all
green lights which means >40mbs. But once I turn on the TV & E400 sharing
a UPS and the UPS sharing the wall outlet with the powerline adapter, my speed
drops to 10-40mbs. Good enough for Airplay from ipad for ipod/spotify/pandora playback
and Denon remote app..

When I tried to set up a few internet-radio stations,...it went into some kind of
internet-searching loop (literally...rotating circle) and locked itself up. Only thing I could do,
was to unplug the AC cord. Had lunch. Then plug AC cord back, and proceeded to do the
internet radio setup.

Any opinions if MOCA or a wfi bridge would be better than powerline?
I was researching ActionTec moca 1.0 adapters (FIOS). I saw June oem news
that moca 2.0 adapters will be coming out in 2H13. Worth the wait for 2.0?

Anyone have good experience using AC Wifi Bridge and Router yet? Brands?



Native Spotify and Pandora setup smoothly...with excellent sound quality
and no buffering.

Tested a USB drive with MP3s, Blu-ray, E400-to-iPod music & TV-Audio...these
functions worked fine.

I didn't test the iPod Touch-USB setup...figured I would not use it over Airplay for music.
(I have Apple TV on another TV for video and pics on a big screen).

I did not test DVD, media server function, Favorites, and do any video tuning yet...
saving for some play time for next weekend.
Shop per is offline  
post #906 of 8170 Old 06-23-2013, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 6,446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Guess you've missed the member reviews in this thread to include batpig's own personal review of his X4000?
He had a post that was discussing sound quality of XT32 with the remark he hasn't done any critical listening. But nothing that would be construed a personal review to emcompass a lot of aspects of his x4000. Go back and look at all his posts in this thread. tongue.gif

I have to comment where would he find the time to write a mini-review while busy helping everyone Denonwise? wink.gif

Oppo Beta Group
JohnAV is offline  
post #907 of 8170 Old 06-24-2013, 03:35 AM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 42,795
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shop per View Post

Just setup my E400. It was shipped in Denon carton only.... from Calif to east coast.

I ran into 2 system problems.

I am wondering if anybody else has had similar out-of-the box experience or if I have
a lemon or damage from shipping. I have never had a problem with any equipment
I bought online before over the last 25 years.

1) Twice during setup, I did not get sound from the Front-Left & center channel when
I wired up the speakers (1st time in a test room...and then, 2nd time in the TV room).
With E400 not plugged in, I wired up 4 sprks fronts and surrounds, (no center yet)
BR, & CableTV...located the unit in a rack, and then plugged AC. To my disappointment,
no Front Left channel both times (and the Center channel in the initial test room setup).

I did a proc reboot and it restored the F-L channel each time. Is there something
about the sequence in wiring each spkr that must be followed? I did it without following
the on-screen 'easy setup guide' steps.

2) I'm using a zyxel 500mbs powerline adapters for ethernet. I get all
green lights which means >40mbs. But once I turn on the TV & E400 sharing
a UPS and the UPS sharing the wall outlet with the powerline adapter, my speed
drops to 10-40mbs. Good enough for Airplay from ipad for ipod/spotify/pandora playback
and Denon remote app..

When I tried to set up a few internet-radio stations,...it went into some kind of
internet-searching loop (literally...rotating circle) and locked itself up. Only thing I could do,
was to unplug the AC cord. Had lunch. Then plug AC cord back, and proceeded to do the
internet radio setup.

Any opinions if MOCA or a wfi bridge would be better than powerline?
I was researching ActionTec moca 1.0 adapters (FIOS). I saw June oem news
that moca 2.0 adapters will be coming out in 2H13. Worth the wait for 2.0?

Anyone have good experience using AC Wifi Bridge and Router yet? Brands?



Native Spotify and Pandora setup smoothly...with excellent sound quality
and no buffering.

Tested a USB drive with MP3s, Blu-ray, E400-to-iPod music & TV-Audio...these
functions worked fine.

I didn't test the iPod Touch-USB setup...figured I would not use it over Airplay for music.
(I have Apple TV on another TV for video and pics on a big screen).

I did not test DVD, media server function, Favorites, and do any video tuning yet...
saving for some play time for next weekend.

a. These units are normally shipped as is, ie. not double boxed.
1. More likely a defective unit, rather than something that occurred from shipping.
2. Ideally, the AVR should be wired directly to the router (ie. not wired through a switch).

Recommended routers/bridges .....

Router
Cisco WRT-100
Cisco E3200
Linksys BEFSX41
Netgear N600 3400v2
Netgear WNDR-3800
Netgear WNDR4500
Airport Extreme

Bridge (connected to AVR provides wireless connection to the home's wifi router)
Cisco WRT-54G
TRENDnet TEW-640MB
Airport Extreme
Airport Express
Linksys WET610N
Netgear WN2000RPT - 4 port
Netgear WN2500RP

Other
Netgear XAVB5004 Powerline Network Adapter (4-port) (on AVR set Network Standby/IP Control to ON/Always ON)
D-Link Powerline Adapter
SanchoPanza likes this.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #908 of 8170 Old 06-24-2013, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
graphicguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Ohio Valley
Posts: 3,643
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Yup. A number of owners in the Denon 4311CI indicated as much going from the Marantz 7005 (XT) to either the 4311CI or A100 both of which are the first Denon AVRs to incorporate XT32. In fact at least one was able to get rid of his 5CH amp in the process which he used to power his 4-ohm speakers, although both of these models are designed to power 4-ohm speakers at reference volume whereas the X4000 is not.
{"refItemType":"35","refItemId":"1420740","userId":"8434161","refItemTitle":"Turn off Time Warner's Whole House DVR MoCA service?"}

Count me as one of those who find XT32 to be a game changer in the AVR/pre-pro sweepstakes. I've been using a 4311 now for over a year. It replaced several iterations of Pioneer's SC series, as well as a brie stint with a Marantz SR 7007. XT32 was the difference maker. Plus, the 4311 has a really robust amp section, too. Not sure of the newer Denon's.
SanchoPanza likes this.

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
graphicguy is offline  
post #909 of 8170 Old 06-24-2013, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
batpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 23,712
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Guess you've missed the member reviews in this thread to include batpig's own personal review of his X4000?
He had a post that was discussing sound quality of XT32 with the remark he hasn't done any critical listening. But nothing that would be construed a personal review to emcompass a lot of aspects of his x4000. Go back and look at all his posts in this thread. tongue.gif

I have to comment where would he find the time to write a mini-review while busy helping everyone Denonwise? wink.gif

I haven't posted a super detailed review but it sounds awesome, and several other users on this thread have posted about how happy they are with the SQ of the X4000. What exactly are you looking for? I'm a little unclear.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
batpig is online now  
post #910 of 8170 Old 06-24-2013, 01:25 PM
Member
 
Xyzzy01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I bought an X4000 a couple of weeks ago to - a drop in replacement for my current 3808 with A upgrade. Using B&W CM9 and CMC2, plus an older sub and satellites, in a 5.1 setup.

The good things first: Airplay and spotify work well. Having more HDMI inputs is great, even though it would be better if it had a couple more than just 6+1. Currently, I've got an Oppo, an AppleTV, PVR, Xbox 360, Wii U and PS3 connected... so I'm full already. Internet radio and the iphone remote works well too, even though the latter has room for UI improvements.

XT32 is impressive - my old setup resulted in some frequencies that resonated extra in the walls for some pieces of music and some sound effects in movies and TV series. Not every day, but often enough that it was annoying. The new one corrects this flawlessly, so I'm very happy with that part.

Now the bad: As opposed to the 3808A, I've had problems with a lot of hissing in the speakers when using this. Even when muted. I got the unit replaced with a new X4000 after one night, but that didn't help. The unit causing this seems to be the PVR - disconnect it from power, and the problem disappears. It's worse when the HD is active on the unit. The antenna has a galvanic isolation unit, everything is grounded where possible and there was no hiss on the 3808.. even when putting it back and replacing the first X4000.
Xyzzy01 is offline  
post #911 of 8170 Old 06-24-2013, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 6,446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

I haven't posted a super detailed review but it sounds awesome, and several other users on this thread have posted about how happy they are with the SQ of the X4000. What exactly are you looking for? I'm a little unclear.
In general more input on how the receiver is sounding with various speaker setups with room equalization. The big question is as graphicguy above mentioned how does the x4000 compare to a 4311, or equivalent in SQ, if not worried about the more robust amp section? Lot of us have older receivers that are considering a update. The post above is a interesting comparison to the very popular 3808. Frequently its a decision between a x4000 or 4520 now.

Oppo Beta Group
JohnAV is offline  
post #912 of 8170 Old 06-24-2013, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
Glenn Baumann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Long Island, NY, USA
Posts: 741
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy01 View Post

I bought an X4000 a couple of weeks ago to - a drop in replacement for my current 3808 with A upgrade. Using B&W CM9 and CMC2, plus an older sub and satellites, in a 5.1 setup.

The good things first: Airplay and spotify work well. Having more HDMI inputs is great, even though it would be better if it had a couple more than just 6+1. Currently, I've got an Oppo, an AppleTV, PVR, Xbox 360, Wii U and PS3 connected... so I'm full already. Internet radio and the iphone remote works well too, even though the latter has room for UI improvements.

XT32 is impressive - my old setup resulted in some frequencies that resonated extra in the walls for some pieces of music and some sound effects in movies and TV series. Not every day, but often enough that it was annoying. The new one corrects this flawlessly, so I'm very happy with that part.

Now the bad: As opposed to the 3808A, I've had problems with a lot of hissing in the speakers when using this. Even when muted. I got the unit replaced with a new X4000 after one night, but that didn't help. The unit causing this seems to be the PVR - disconnect it from power, and the problem disappears. It's worse when the HD is active on the unit. The antenna has a galvanic isolation unit, everything is grounded where possible and there was no hiss on the 3808.. even when putting it back and replacing the first X4000.

Is the PVR hooked up to cable by any chance? confused.gif

Cable is notorious for grounding issues! mad.gif

If you are hooked to cable, pull off the cable coax while still leaving the PVR connected and I would not be surprised if the problem disappears!


...Glenn smile.gif
Glenn Baumann is offline  
post #913 of 8170 Old 06-24-2013, 07:16 PM
Senior Member
 
mmcxiiad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sorry if this has already been asked, but it is tough to navigate 31 (or more) pages.

I have a 3808 that I need to replace. It is going in a room with (at the moment just a 5.1 setup (all triad speakers). I asked in a different thread about separates or a 4311, it was suggested I look at the x4000 instead.

I took a look at Denon's info page about the x4000, and the matrix switching seems very interesting. Based on what I have, would the x4000 be capable of the following:

1 set of sources (widows media center, xbox and apple tv) that could either show independently on any of the three outs or be mirrored.

HDMI Zone 1 would be 5.1 (maybe 7.1 in the future but only if possible) and a 55inch 1080p tv.

HDMI Zone 2 would only be stereo audio and a small 1080p TV.

HDMI Zone 3 would be sent out to the MDR-DS7500 processor to listen to movies when late at night when my wife has gone to bed. Video would be still what is on HDMI 1, but volume on those speakers would be turned all the way down. This input is just to send unamplified audio, the headphone processor sends the audio to the wireless headphones.


Thanks in advance.
mmcxiiad is offline  
post #914 of 8170 Old 06-24-2013, 07:24 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 42,795
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
It's actually only 10 pages if you have it setup for 100 posts/page like I do. smile.gif

The X4000 has (2) main zone HDMI outputs that would pass the same main zone source and (1) Zone 2 HDMI output that could pass the same or a different source than is playing in the main zone.

Refer to post #2 in this thread for more detailed information.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #915 of 8170 Old 06-24-2013, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
batpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 23,712
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 891
One one HDMI is independent. The first two outputs are parallel for main zone.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
batpig is online now  
post #916 of 8170 Old 06-24-2013, 09:20 PM
Senior Member
 
mmcxiiad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

It's actually only 10 pages if you have it setup for 100 posts/page like I do. smile.gif

The X4000 has (2) main zone HDMI outputs that would pass the same main zone source and (1) Zone 2 HDMI output that could pass the same or a different source than is playing in the main zone.

Refer to post #2 in this thread for more detailed information.


hummm..... I didn't see anything in post 2, did it maybe get altered, or am I overlooking it?

but if I understand you correctly, this would work for what I want to do:

the two main zone outputs could do both the main tv and the headphones. they would always be doing the same content.

zone 2 would be the other tv.

does that mean that a set of the speakers could drive the 2 channel audio in the second zone, while the rest are driving the primary zone of 5.1?
mmcxiiad is offline  
post #917 of 8170 Old 06-24-2013, 10:40 PM
Senior Member
 
globalgreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Denon app got an update.

globalgreg is offline  
post #918 of 8170 Old 06-25-2013, 01:31 AM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 42,795
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcxiiad View Post

hummm..... I didn't see anything in post 2, did it maybe get altered, or am I overlooking it?

but if I understand you correctly, this would work for what I want to do:

the two main zone outputs could do both the main tv and the headphones. they would always be doing the same content.

zone 2 would be the other tv.

does that mean that a set of the speakers could drive the 2 channel audio in the second zone, while the rest are driving the primary zone of 5.1?

The headphone processor would also have an HDMI cable connected to the TV. For your late night viewing, you would then change the main zone video output to Monitor 2 (p. 163 OM) and the "HDMI Audio Out" (p. 161 OM) to "TV". Nothing would then be playing to the main zone speakers so no volume adjustment of these speakers would be required for your late night viewing.

The Zone 2 (HDMI) output could be connected directly to the Zone 2 TV to use the TV's speakers or you could connect a set of stereo speakers to the SBL/SBR speaker posts and pass PCM 2.0 audio to them for use with the TV.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #919 of 8170 Old 06-25-2013, 06:45 AM
Senior Member
 
mmcxiiad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

The headphone processor would also have an HDMI cable connected to the TV. For your late night viewing, you would then change the main zone video output to Monitor 2 (p. 163 OM) and the "HDMI Audio Out" (p. 161 OM) to "TV". Nothing would then be playing to the main zone speakers so no volume adjustment of these speakers would be required for your late night viewing.

The Zone 2 (HDMI) output could be connected directly to the Zone 2 TV to use the TV's speakers or you could connect a set of stereo speakers to the SBL/SBR speaker posts and pass PCM 2.0 audio to them for use with the TV.

Thanks for the info, this really helps. Before I pull the trigger on this, and I am oh so close, what is the difference between this and the Marantz SR7008? They seem nearly the same. I am assuming the differences are:

1, 7 Channel analog input
2. $700 for premium brand
3. ????

Does this receiver offer a premium worth the money or is it just to pad my ego that I own a Marantz?
mmcxiiad is offline  
post #920 of 8170 Old 06-25-2013, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 6,395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Don't forget that if you call an authorized dealer for quotes, both prices and the difference between them are likely to be quite a bit smaller. There are some mechanical differences (like different speaker binding posts), but the audio differences between them are likely to be imperceptible.

Selden
Selden Ball is online now  
post #921 of 8170 Old 06-25-2013, 07:50 AM
Senior Member
 
mmcxiiad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Don't forget that if you call an authorized dealer for quotes, both prices and the difference between them are likely to be quite a bit smaller.

Seems the only local Marantz dealers (50 miles) are either Magnolia/Bestbuy or a dealer that I have had some less then stellar experience with (well, that is putting it very mildly). Not sure where to look now. That said though, I am still wondering if the upgrade to the marantz would be worth it.
mmcxiiad is offline  
post #922 of 8170 Old 06-25-2013, 08:07 AM
Member
 
larkowski1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Central Michigan
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Woohoo, according to UPS.com and a text from my wife, I have my X2000 waiting for me at home.
SanchoPanza likes this.

Panasonic P46ST30 | Denon AVR-X2000 | PSB T45/B15/C40 | Oppo BDP-83 | DirecTV
larkowski1 is offline  
post #923 of 8170 Old 06-25-2013, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 6,395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcxiiad View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Don't forget that if you call an authorized dealer for quotes, both prices and the difference between them are likely to be quite a bit smaller.

Seems the only local Marantz dealers (50 miles) are either Magnolia/Bestbuy or a dealer that I have had some less then stellar experience with (well, that is putting it very mildly). Not sure where to look now. That said though, I am still wondering if the upgrade to the marantz would be worth it.

If you're willing to put up with the potential shipping hassles, you might try contacting AVS, the company which supports this forum. They're authorized resellers for many audio equipment manufacturers. I've never bought anything from them myself, but others have reported very good service and pricing.

Edited to add: See http://shop.avscience.com/

Selden
Selden Ball is online now  
post #924 of 8170 Old 06-25-2013, 09:31 AM
Senior Member
 
mmcxiiad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

If you're willing to put up with the potential shipping hassles, you might try contacting AVS, the company which supports this forum. They're authorized resellers for many audio equipment manufacturers. I've never bought anything from them myself, but others have reported very good service and pricing.

Thanks for the recommendation. I may check them out. I read through the official marantz thread and it seems that the difference between the two from a checkbox point of view is slim.... maybe even to the point that it doesn't matter for my needs. The only thing that I am curious about is if the guts of the two is identical (obviously othere then the features that differ) or if they are based on the same components.

It looks like D&M holdings has started to handle engineering for both brands under one roof. That very well could mean that in many cases 80% of the components used in these two are identical with just some "sprinkles" added to help justify the Marantz up charge.

Would this be a safe assumption?
mmcxiiad is offline  
post #925 of 8170 Old 06-25-2013, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
batpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 23,712
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 891
Very safe wink.gif
farkem likes this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
batpig is online now  
post #926 of 8170 Old 06-25-2013, 09:53 AM
Senior Member
 
mmcxiiad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Very safe wink.gif

A big thanks to jdsmoothie, batpig and selden ball.

Spending $1300 on a a receiver is a lot of money. $2000 even more so. But I hate buying something and then 3 months later wish i had ponied up the extra cash. Sometimes it is better to spend the money up front and just move on.

Other times, the spending those extra few minutes helps you know that the better value item is the best option.

Fortunately, this time is the latter.
mmcxiiad is offline  
post #927 of 8170 Old 06-25-2013, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member
 
Glenn Baumann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Long Island, NY, USA
Posts: 741
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcxiiad View Post

A big thanks to jdsmoothie, batpig and selden ball.

Spending $1300 on a a receiver is a lot of money. $2000 even more so. But I hate buying something and then 3 months later wish i had ponied up the extra cash. Sometimes it is better to spend the money up front and just move on.

Other times, the spending those extra few minutes helps you know that the better value item is the best option.

Fortunately, this time is the latter.


I have sent you a PM!
Glenn Baumann is offline  
post #928 of 8170 Old 06-25-2013, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mo949's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 302
question on the x4000 HDMI passthrough function during power standby. If I have this set to on and send the cablebox through the AVR to the TV, will the video upconversion I have the AVR tasked to do still apply during standby power on the AVR, or will it just pass through the raw video signal?
mo949 is offline  
post #929 of 8170 Old 06-25-2013, 12:43 PM
Member
 
Nighthawk68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Northern Michigan
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The MARANTZ 7008 has a few bonuses over the DENON 4000


  • 9 AMP channels, with 11.2 capable processing, Denon is 7 Amps with 9.2 capable processing.
  • 3rd Component video input
  • 7.1 Analog input
  • Beefier Power Supply
  • M-X Port (Bluetooth)

FYI
Ed
SanchoPanza likes this.

Denon AVR-X4000, Panasonic TCP-55VT50, OPPO BDP-103, DirecTV HR44-700, Apple TV
Polk Audio RTi-A9, RTi-A7, RTi-A3, CSi-A6 & DSW PRO 660
Nighthawk68 is offline  
post #930 of 8170 Old 06-25-2013, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
batpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 23,712
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

question on the x4000 HDMI passthrough function during power standby. If I have this set to on and send the cablebox through the AVR to the TV, will the video upconversion I have the AVR tasked to do still apply during standby power on the AVR, or will it just pass through the raw video signal?

pass through is just pass through... it's totally passive, no processing at all. Theoretically, it's as though the receiver isn't even there and the source is corrected directly to the display.
mo949 likes this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
batpig is online now  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2309ci Receiver , Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Denon , Denon Electronics , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Denon Avr E200 , Denon Avr E300 , Denon Avr E400 , Denon Avr X2000 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X3000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X1000 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page


    Forum Jump: 

    Posting Rules  
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off