The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 313 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #9361 of 11441 Old 11-16-2014, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
External headphone amp

Is there a way to use analog outputs from an x4000 to send signals from digital sources to a headphone amp and mute the speakers attached to the x4000 during playback?
I think you just need a headphone adapter plug that converts from 3.5mm to 1/4in as in:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...G&Q=&A=details

Then just hook a 3.5mm to 3.5mm (male/male) cable from the adapter plugged into the Denon headphone jack to the input of your headphone amp (I use FiiO but not from my Denon x4000). Anything plugged into the Denon headphone jack automatically mutes the speakers. Unless you have a very high quality headphone amp, however, I don't see much utility in doing this because you can just up the volume on the Denon and it appears to me that the signal coming through the Denon headphone circuit is pretty high quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9362 of 11441 Old 11-16-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by turquoisewords View Post
I think you just need a headphone adapter plug that converts from 3.5mm to 1/4in as in:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...G&Q=&A=details

Then just hook a 3.5mm to 3.5mm (male/male) cable from the adapter plugged into the Denon headphone jack to the input of your headphone amp (I use FiiO but not from my Denon x4000). Anything plugged into the Denon headphone jack automatically mutes the speakers. Unless you have a very high quality headphone amp, however, I don't see much utility in doing this because you can just up the volume on the Denon and it appears to me that the signal coming through the Denon headphone circuit is pretty high quality.
I want a line-out analog signal, not an amplified signal, from the Denon to connect to my Burson headphone amp, which is of a better quality than the one in the x4000.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K701, Burson HA-160, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910
post #9363 of 11441 Old 11-16-2014, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I want a line-out analog signal, not an amplified signal, from the Denon to connect to my Burson headphone amp, which is of a better quality than the one in the x4000.
OK. That wasn't clear in your first post and is a completely different situation. Sorry, but I don't have a solution for that one -- particularly the auto-muting of the speakers.
post #9364 of 11441 Old 11-16-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by turquoisewords View Post
OK. That wasn't clear in your first post and is a completely different situation. Sorry, but I don't have a solution for that one -- particularly the auto-muting of the speakers.
I don't need them to auto-mute, I just don't want them to play when I am using the external headphone amp. If there is a way to do the hookup, maybe the main volume control will turn down the speakers??

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K701, Burson HA-160, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910
post #9365 of 11441 Old 11-16-2014, 03:46 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 4696 Post(s)
Liked: 2455
Quote:
External headphone amp

Is there a way to use analog outputs from an x4000 to send signals from digital sources to a headphone amp and mute the speakers attached to the x4000 during playback?
Yup. Zone 2 pre-outs.
RayWK likes this.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006
Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective? Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times.
post #9366 of 11441 Old 11-16-2014, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have an AVR-E400, which has 4K upscaling. I just purchased a Sony 4k TV, and the new upscaling bluray player BDP-S7200. When going through the receiver I get a couple seconds of static whenever the player is loading. It plays fine after this, but the random static displays are annoying and makes me wonder if the upscalers are battling each other. I plugged the player directly into my TV and I do not get the static, clearly the receiver.

Do any of you have a BDP-S7200 running through your Denon and see the same thing? My receiver is fully up to date with software/firmware.
post #9367 of 11441 Old 11-16-2014, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Cruzer View Post
I have an AVR-E400, which has 4K upscaling. I just purchased a Sony 4k TV, and the new upscaling bluray player BDP-S7200. When going through the receiver I get a couple seconds of static whenever the player is loading. It plays fine after this, but the random static displays are annoying and makes me wonder if the upscalers are battling each other. I plugged the player directly into my TV and I do not get the static, clearly the receiver.

Do any of you have a BDP-S7200 running through your Denon and see the same thing? My receiver is fully up to date with software/firmware.

Turn off the scaler in your receiver

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still [emoji107]
post #9368 of 11441 Old 11-16-2014, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 40
You only need one upscaler, I would experiment to see what gives you the best results. Start with the end of the chain and turn off the upscaler in both the BDP and in the AVR and let the TV do the upscaling. Next try turning it on in the AVR (when the TV sees the 4K coming in then it won't try to upscale it again). Finally try turning it off in the AVR and on in the BDP. Some trial and error will let you decide what gives you the most pleasing results.

I would almost place a bet that you will like it best just letting the TV do the upscaling from a 1080p signal...
ambesolman likes this.
post #9369 of 11441 Old 11-17-2014, 05:16 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll try it when I get home tonight and let you know what I find.
post #9370 of 11441 Old 11-17-2014, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazosdog02 View Post
Can I use Chromecast Dongle for streaming just music?
Depends on which app you want to stream with. Google Play Music can cast. Spotify can't. Youtube can. On some devices (Nexus and a few others) you can cast the whole screen including audio.

Quote:
Will it show album art and artist info on the screen?
With the Chromecast it's app-dependent.

Quote:
Can I use it straight in the AVR?
Not sure what you mean. The AVR itself can AirPlay from iOS devices; it is also a DLNA Media Renderer so you can send audio to it using any DLNA Media Controller or DLNA Media Server apps. It also has a few services built-in (DLNA client, Spotify, various net radios, etc.). The Denon App for tablets and smartphones is a DLNA Media Controller app and can also be used to start/stop playback of network sources. There also exists good third party apps to control the AVR.

post #9371 of 11441 Old 11-17-2014, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I meant is it OK to plug the Chromecast dongle into the AVR rather than the TV?

As an aside, my music app on my android can do Airplay, which works OK for music, but it does not seem to send artist info or screen art. If I use teh DLNA, then "MEDIA SERVER" shows up on the screen and I get music, art, and titles, etc. Ill probably just use that.
post #9372 of 11441 Old 11-17-2014, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:

As an aside, my music app on my android can do Airplay, which works OK for music, but it does not seem to send artist info or screen art. If I use teh DLNA, then "MEDIA SERVER" shows up on the screen and I get music, art, and titles, etc. Ill probably just use that.
Yes, that is how I have mine connected and it is often the only way to get 5.1 audio from the ChromeCast, since most TVs will only send stereo through the audio output from HDMI sources.
post #9373 of 11441 Old 11-17-2014, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Absolutely. Although the back of the AVR can be quite crowded depending on your setup, and I found that using the small HDMI extender helps a bit -- both to fit the Chromecast in there and I seem to get less interference.

I leave the Chromecast on at all times and have a "Chromecast" activity on my remote to turn on the TV and AVR, and switch the AVR to the right input. I wasn't able to make CEC / HDMI control work to make the Chromecast wake the AVR & TV.

That being said sometimes I like keeping the TV off so I only have music streamed from Youtube. Not sure how the recent developments in that regard (Youtube Music Key) would change things. Perhaps there will be some form of audio-only streaming for Youtube.

What the Chromecast sorely lacks IMHO is a system wide audio streaming option on Android that would do the same thing as AirPlay.

Quote:
I most often want my TV off when I'm listening to music so I can't really comment on what the AVR shows. I don't feel like I'm missing much DLNA is a very confusing protocol and every vendor seems to have a slightly different implementation, sometimes leading to bugs. It's one of the reason I switched to the X4000 after an Onkyo 818 on which I was always crashing the network stack (go figure). The X4000 mostly plays well with my preferred DLNA app for Android (BubbleUPnP).

Sometimes when using this app and the Denon app, things begin to go awry and eventually the network stack is stuck in some sort of limbo state and I have to reboot the AVR though. Only happens every few weeks though so I'm OK with this -- the 818 was doing the same daily.

post #9374 of 11441 Old 11-17-2014, 02:05 PM

@jdsmoothie or any others who may be knowledgeable on the subject, I noticed that an issue I am having with my X4000 that I reported here last week is mentioned under the "Known Issues" section on the FP (Issue #22 ). This is the Netflix DD+ chirp/beep/click noise issue. In that section, it mentions that Denon is reportedly working on another firmware update to address this issue. Does anyone participating here have any more information on this firmware fix in terms of when they first acknowledged the issue and whether anyone who has contacted them about it has been given any sort of time frame for when it might become available? The last update came back in February, and it seems this issue existed even before that update based on a few comments I've seen here, so I'm curious to find out how recently they have claimed to be "working on it."

I spoke with Denon customer service this morning and the representative I spoke with seemed unaware of this problem and recommended that I take the receiver into a service center for repair, which I am planning on doing tomorrow. If this is firmware related though, it seems unlikely that the service center would be able to resolve it, so it would be helpful to know whether a fix is in the works before I take my brand new receiver in for repairs. If anyone can provide any more background on this, I'd really appreciate the input Otherwise, I'll report back here when I hear something back from the service center and/or Denon.
post #9375 of 11441 Old 11-17-2014, 02:09 PM
585-645-1006

^^
The only information I have comes from what you and a few others have recently posted.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006
Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
post #9376 of 11441 Old 11-17-2014, 02:52 PM

Thanks, jdsmoothie - it sounds then as though I'm in somewhat uncharted territory here with my issue, so I'll be taking my receiver into the service center tomorrow as I had planned. Hopefully, this will at least get me some insight into where Denon is at with a fix, if it turns out to be a firmware issue. I'll report back here when I find out more.
ferl likes this.
post #9377 of 11441 Old 11-17-2014, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesebach View Post
@jdsmoothie or any others who may be knowledgeable on the subject, I noticed that an issue I am having with my X4000 that I reported here last week is mentioned under the "Known Issues" section on the FP (Issue #22 ). This is the Netflix DD+ chirp/beep/click noise issue. In that section, it mentions that Denon is reportedly working on another firmware update to address this issue. Does anyone participating here have any more information on this firmware fix in terms of when they first acknowledged the issue and whether anyone who has contacted them about it has been given any sort of time frame for when it might become available? The last update came back in February, and it seems this issue existed even before that update based on a few comments I've seen here, so I'm curious to find out how recently they have claimed to be "working on it."

I spoke with Denon customer service this morning and the representative I spoke with seemed unaware of this problem and recommended that I take the receiver into a service center for repair, which I am planning on doing tomorrow. If this is firmware related though, it seems unlikely that the service center would be able to resolve it, so it would be helpful to know whether a fix is in the works before I take my brand new receiver in for repairs. If anyone can provide any more background on this, I'd really appreciate the input Otherwise, I'll report back here when I hear something back from the service center and/or Denon.
I have spoken with Denon about this topic extensively and I will share one of their responses with this forum:

"Hello Mr. *****,

Our engineering team in Japan are still working on this issue. Any firmware update will be released at a later date. We will continue to keep this incident In Process and should we hear any updates to provide to you.

Thank you,

Technical Support/Custom Install
D+M Group"

This issue has been ongoing since the beginning of July and I am beginning to believe that nothing is going to be done about this as I have been told I am one of the only people that have reported this. I would imagine this would not make it a priority for Denon to release a firmware update quickly. It was a very long process to even get Denon to acknowledge this as a problem as they seemed to frequently reference the previous fix for the center channel distortion. Although that update did fix the center channel distortion, the digital artifacts have remained. I had to speak with someone from the corporate offices to get anyone to even test this. I am beginning to get the feeling that Denon has no intentions on fixing this and is responding minimally to fulfill their warranty obligations. I highly encourage anyone to report this to Denon, but sadly, I believe the true colors of this company are beginning to show.
post #9378 of 11441 Old 11-17-2014, 03:13 PM

Here is the initial email that contains Denon's acknowledgement of this issue:

"Good Morning Mr. ****,

Thank you for your patience while we have been investigating this issue. We were able to duplicate the issue you described. We were able to hear a chirping noise while decoding DD+ and have since escalated this case back to our engineering team for further review.

Thank you,

Technical Support/Custom Install
D+M Group"

Again, I have reported this on June 30, 2014. Absolutely nothing has been done at this point and no information regarding a firmware update has even been released. This is just absolute terrible customer service on Denon's behalf. To treat customer's with such disrespect and the complete carelessness for customer satisfaction is disgusting. I will never purchase another Denon product again after this experience. Unfortunately, I am on the hook with this receiver already.

Last edited by HMNavy; 11-17-2014 at 03:17 PM.
post #9379 of 11441 Old 11-17-2014, 03:19 PM

Cheesebach,

I would not send my AVR to a repair center. You will just waste money on shipping costs and the problem will remain unresolved. It is completely up to you though.
post #9380 of 11441 Old 11-17-2014, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked: 2079
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMNavy View Post
Again, I have reported this on June 30, 2014. Absolutely nothing has been done at this point and no information regarding a firmware update has even been released. This is just absolute terrible customer service on Denon's behalf. To treat customer's with such disrespect and the complete carelessness for customer satisfaction is disgusting. I will never purchase another Denon product again after this experience. Unfortunately, I am on the hook with this receiver already.
Terrible? Disrespect? Disgusting? I think your prescription for melodrama is wearing off.

They have acknowledged the problem, told you they could reproduce it, and will eventually release a firmware update to fix it. Just like the previous Netflix bug and any number of other minor issues. Does it really require such hyperbolic outrage? Did they F your mother or kill your dog or something after politely responding to your emails?
joeyvaz likes this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #9381 of 11441 Old 11-17-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Terrible? Disrespect? Disgusting? I think your prescription for melodrama is wearing off.

They have acknowledged the problem, told you they could reproduce it, and will eventually release a firmware update to fix it. Just like the previous Netflix bug and any number of other minor issues. Does it really require such hyperbolic outrage? Did they F your mother or kill your dog or something after politely responding to your emails?
I am just sharing my opinion about my experience. No need to get so upset about my response. Am I allowed to do this here?

Last edited by HMNavy; 11-17-2014 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Added sentence.
post #9382 of 11441 Old 11-17-2014, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I'm not the one who appears to be upset here.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #9383 of 11441 Old 11-17-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
I'm not the one who appears to be upset here.
Well, you were attempting to insult me for sharing my opinion about my experience with Denon customer service. It was not appreciated.
post #9384 of 11441 Old 11-17-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoering View Post
You only need one upscaler, I would experiment to see what gives you the best results. Start with the end of the chain and turn off the upscaler in both the BDP and in the AVR and let the TV do the upscaling. Next try turning it on in the AVR (when the TV sees the 4K coming in then it won't try to upscale it again). Finally try turning it off in the AVR and on in the BDP. Some trial and error will let you decide what gives you the most pleasing results.

I would almost place a bet that you will like it best just letting the TV do the upscaling from a 1080p signal...
I turned off the AVR upscaling, left the TV and BDP both on and tried it. Still got the static while loading. I then turned off the BDP upscaling and it went away. Now I'm deciding which I prefer, the TV or the BDP. Any suggestions on a movie to use for this comparison?
post #9385 of 11441 Old 11-17-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMNavy View Post
Cheesebach,

I would not send my AVR to a repair center. You will just waste money on shipping costs and the problem will remain unresolved. It is completely up to you though.
Thanks for all the additional information and emails you provided on the issue, HMNavy, and sorry to hear that you've been waiting for a fix for so long. Based on your experience with the problem, I decided to give Denon customer service another call tonight before driving the 20 miles to the repair center to see if they could provide me with any information about any pending firmware updates. The rep who answered the phone this time was quite helpful and seemed more knowledgeable about the DD+ issue with the center channel that was addressed with the earlier firmware update. He recommended that I hold off on taking it in for repair for the moment and said that he would try to replicate the issue in the lab tonight or tomorrow and would give me a call back when he knew more. I'll keep you posted.
post #9386 of 11441 Old 11-17-2014, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Question Zone-2 4 speakers

Hi,
I bought a X4000 for a dedicated home theater room. I also want to use this to power 4 speakers in another adjustment hall for music (for parties). I am planning on putting 4 ceiling speakers. Can I connect the 4 speakers (rated 8 ohms) in sets of 2 in parallel so that they are 4 ohms to the receiver's zone 2? I want to be able to play airplay in zone 2 while someone is watching a movie in main zone. Also, does zone 2 support a separate subwoofer connection?

Thanks in advance
post #9387 of 11441 Old 11-17-2014, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
question about that chromecast, seems it needs also an external power sypply
does the avr-x4000 has such a usb connection at the back side? i dont want to use a power supply usb would be cool

see this image

http://ptgmedia.pearsoncmg.com/image...art01fig02.jpg
post #9388 of 11441 Old 11-17-2014, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desinbr1 View Post
Hi,
I bought a X4000 for a dedicated home theater room. I also want to use this to power 4 speakers in another adjustment hall for music (for parties). I am planning on putting 4 ceiling speakers. Can I connect the 4 speakers (rated 8 ohms) in sets of 2 in parallel so that they are 4 ohms to the receiver's zone 2? I want to be able to play airplay in zone 2 while someone is watching a movie in main zone. Also, does zone 2 support a separate subwoofer connection?

Thanks in advance
1. You CAN hook up two pairs of speakers in parallel to 2 amp channels in the AVR, but there is no guarantee it won't shut down in protection mode if somebody is cranking a movie on the 5.1 setup at the same time. If you choose to go this route, why cheap out and not plop 50-100 bucks on an external stereo receiver or 2ch amp to take the load off the main unit? This opens up future possibilities for expansion to 7 or 9 channels in the dedicated theater room as well. If it's truly a dedicated theater, why limit it to 5.1?

2. Zone 2 doesn't have a dedicated sub out or any bass management, but that doesn't prevent you from feeding a sub parallel to the speakers with either high level (speaker wire) or low level RCA inputs. Bonus points here for using that cheap old stereo receiver for Zone 2, since you can feed it with an RCA input from the Zone 2 pre-out and then use the RCA out on the stereo receiver to feed your Zone 2 sub.

3. Be aware (hopefully you are since you are in this thread) that Airplay will always initially "hijack" the main zone, so if you cue up a song while someone is watching a movie the receiver will switch to Airplay audio. You can then fire it up in Zone 2 and the pissed off hombre in the theater can switch back to their movie, but this initial hijack is unavoidable for Airplay and certain DLNA clients.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #9389 of 11441 Old 11-18-2014, 05:15 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFateDenon View Post
question about that chromecast, seems it needs also an external power sypply
does the avr-x4000 has such a usb connection at the back side? i dont want to use a power supply usb would be cool

see this image

http://ptgmedia.pearsoncmg.com/image...art01fig02.jpg
No, rather only the flagship 4520CI has a rear USB input.

------------------
Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #9390 of 11441 Old 11-18-2014, 02:18 PM

Just wanted to share a quick update regarding the DD+ (Netflix) decoding issue based on my conversations with Denon customer support last evening. After discussing the issue in some detail, the representative mentioned that he wanted to check whether he could reproduce it on the X4000 he had available there and I pointed him to a few of the test cases that have been shared here. He called me back about 2 hours later and said that he thought he was able to hear some of what I was describing, but that he wanted to do some more testing in a quieter location and with more sources. I'm expecting to hear back from him sometime tomorrow after he has a chance to do some more testing with the receiver in his home setup.

So far, I'm very happy with the level of support I've received from this representative, and he seems genuinely interested in figuring out what might be going on. Hopefully, I'll find out more tomorrow, and keeping my fingers crossed that there is a fix coming our way
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , dolby digital plus , netflix 5.1
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page