The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 316 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9451 of 9456 Old Yesterday, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 1567
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
Wides

I'm considering the addition of wides to my x4000 5.2 system for movie use, and I already have a pair of unused speakers that are a reasonable match to those in use. But a number of reviews/forum posts about Audyssey DSX complained about movie dialogue sounding echoey or hollow when the voices on the soundtrack were not coming from dead center.

Before I move everything around and hook up these wides, can you guys tell me what your experience has been with wides and whether you have noticed this artifact?
Those reviews are accurate. DSX works by generating synthesized reflections based on the left and right channels. It does this to enhance the sense of "auditory source width" which research has shown people find pleasing. When it's working well it can enhance the sense of scale and immersion and make a small room sound like a huge theater. But when it encounters content that doesn't work well (especially dialogue panning to the sides) it can sound unnatural and echoey.

That said the X4000 also has Neo:X which works differently and doesn't create this type of artifact. So you have options.

Since you have the speakers, not much to lose by setting them up and trying them out. I think you'll like it. Mo speakers mo better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9452 of 9456 Old Yesterday, 06:14 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1848 Post(s)
Liked: 1718
Quote:
Wides

I'm considering the addition of wides to my x4000 5.2 system for movie use, and I already have a pair of unused speakers that are a reasonable match to those in use. But a number of reviews/forum posts about Audyssey DSX complained about movie dialogue sounding echoey or hollow when the voices on the soundtrack were not coming from dead center.

Before I move everything around and hook up these wides, can you guys tell me what your experience has been with wides and whether you have noticed this artifact?
More owners (including myself) likely prefer using DTS Neo:X for front wides rather than DSX. Using them most definitely helps to expand the front sound stage and dialogue is still very much center channel focused. Addiitionally, adding Front wides should provide a much better expansion than either Front Heights or Surround Backs.
ambesolman likes this.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #9453 of 9456 Old Yesterday, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 463
The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ

Quote:
Wides

Been using mine with my x4000 for about a year. Very much like NeoX for everything except music, generally stay 2.x for music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
More owners (including myself) likely prefer using DTS Neo:X for front wides rather than DSX. Using them most definitely helps to expand the front sound stage and dialogue is still very much center channel focused. Addiitionally, adding Front wides should provide a much better expansion than either Front Heights or Surround Backs.

+1000[emoji106]

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still [emoji107]
post #9454 of 9456 Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I recently upgraded to the 4520ci and setup wides. I have to say it has been nothing but positive results. I have been running DSX over Neo X. Personally I have only switched to Neo X a few times. Maybe I should try a movie but right now I'm enjoying DSX.

I just got through hanging my heights tonight and tomorrow I'm going to run the wires. After than I need to re run audessey and see how I like all of it.
post #9455 of 9456 Old Yesterday, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Thanks for the responses to DSX and (Neo-X). I'll have to give this some thought. It means completely moving all of the equipment and furnishings in the room, placing the subs again, etc. Not sure if (to me) it's worth the effort, but I'll think about it.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #9456 of 9456 Old Today, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Picked up an x2000 1/2 off from Crutchfield. I really like it and want it to last. The thing runs hot, even with plenty of space underneath and above. Placed a 120 mm quite fan top. Works great drops the operating temps 25+ deg.
RayWK likes this.

I love this HD stuff!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , dolby digital plus , netflix 5.1
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page