The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 325 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #9721 of 10695 Old 12-12-2014, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
The AudioSource100 should fit the bill quite nicely and is the most often recommended to add an additional zone. To add even more rooms, purchase a multi zone impendance matching speaker switch and place that between the external amp and additional Zone 3 speakers.

http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AM.../dp/B00026BQJ6

http://www.amazon.com/Speaker-Select.../dp/B002I9XKTE
thanks for the recommendations. I forgot to mention that based on the recommendation from KEF, I'm using 12 gauge in wall speaker wire and I noticed a lot of the speaker selector units won't accept anything lower than 14 gauge. Secondly, if I go this route with the switcher will that cause my receiver to overheat?? I'm guessing I would have to use my zone 2 to power this unit up??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9722 of 10695 Old 12-12-2014, 10:42 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 3069 Post(s)
Liked: 2007
^^
You're not likely to notice any difference between 12 and 14 gauge and the speaker selector would not be connected to the AVR but as I indicated, to the external amp.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVS - We sell Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
post #9723 of 10695 Old 12-12-2014, 10:43 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by bash1979 View Post
As luck would have it, my neighbor already had one of these extenders, so I borrowed it and put it into my setup....still no video or OSD.

I took the projector down and plugged it directly into the AVR-E300 with a 3 ft HDMI cable....still no video or OSD! And of course, if I plug my old receiver back in, everything works fine.

Is this just a case of the Optoma projector and Denon receiver not getting along? I can't imagine I would have received 3 defective receivers...is there some kind of configuration setting on the Denon that I'm missing here?
Have you tried a soft and hard reset?

The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #9724 of 10695 Old 12-12-2014, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
^^
You're not likely to notice any difference between 12 and 14 gauge and the speaker selector would not be connected to the AVR but as I indicated, to the external amp.
thanks JD. I misunderstood... I thought I can do one or the other.

One more quick question. These ceiling speakers that I just installed are rated at 80 watts, wouldn't 50 watt amp be somewhat undersized. Sorry I'm a newby to all of this.....

sk
post #9725 of 10695 Old 12-12-2014, 10:59 AM
585-645-1006

On average even your main FL/FR speakers are using < 10W/CH, so no.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #9726 of 10695 Old 12-12-2014, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes sir, tried both several times. This is quite the tough nut to crack!
post #9727 of 10695 Old 12-12-2014, 11:01 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINaudio View Post
So from what I've read to make sure that the tv audio (Samsung UN55h7150) goes through ARC, I need to make sure that HDMI control on the receiver (x400) is turned on. What do I need to make sure is set on the tv?
I have listed lots of helpful information in posts 3-6 in this thread to include the following on HDMI (ARC) ....

The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #9728 of 10695 Old 12-12-2014, 11:03 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Yes sir, tried both several times. This is quite the tough nut to crack!
Give the HDMI HDCP reset a try.

The 'Official' 2014 Denon "S Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #9729 of 10695 Old 12-12-2014, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
As luck would have it, my neighbor already had one of these extenders, so I borrowed it and put it into my setup....still no video or OSD.

I took the projector down and plugged it directly into the AVR-E300 with a 3 ft HDMI cable....still no video or OSD! And of course, if I plug my old receiver back in, everything works fine.

Is this just a case of the Optoma projector and Denon receiver not getting along? I can't imagine I would have received 3 defective receivers...is there some kind of configuration setting on the Denon that I'm missing here?
If you haven't already can you try with a different display ... a TV, monitor, or different projector? That might help rule out if it is indeed a faulty receiver or maybe just an issue specifically between the receiver and that projector.
post #9730 of 10695 Old 12-12-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. Followed the HDMI HDCP reset line by line...unfortunately, problem still exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourworm View Post
If you haven't already can you try with a different display ... a TV, monitor, or different projector? That might help rule out if it is indeed a faulty receiver or maybe just an issue specifically between the receiver and that projector.
Thanks for the suggestion. I took the receiver up to my Panasonic plasma and it worked fine! In fact, it even prompted me to go through the setup, as if it were the first time it had detected I was connected to a display. So, I guess the receiver works....now, why is it being so picky about my projector (or is this a case of my projector being picky about the type of receiver)?
post #9731 of 10695 Old 12-12-2014, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
So, I guess the receiver works....now, why is it being so picky about my projector (or is this a case of my projector being picky about the type of receiver)?
Is there a forum for your projector? Is firmware up to date on the projector?

Edit: I just took a look and there is a firmware upgrade on Optoma's page for your projector.

http://www.optomausa.com/products/detail/HD25e

Might be worth a look...

Last edited by bgoering; 12-12-2014 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Additional info
post #9732 of 10695 Old 12-12-2014, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Sounds a lot to me like the early days of HDCP with computer monitors. I'd definitely see if you can update it.
post #9733 of 10695 Old 12-12-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoering View Post
Is there a forum for your projector? Is firmware up to date on the projector?

Edit: I just took a look and there is a firmware upgrade on Optoma's page for your projector.

http://www.optomausa.com/products/detail/HD25e

Might be worth a look...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
Sounds a lot to me like the early days of HDCP with computer monitors. I'd definitely see if you can update it.
Great suggestion...I was really optimistic about this one. Tried it, upgraded successfully, but, alas, no change. Audio works, no video, no OSD.

If anyone out there is running an HD25e successfully with a Denon AVR-E300, please chime in....I'm starting to wonder if this combination just isn't a good match.
post #9734 of 10695 Old 12-13-2014, 01:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Great suggestion...I was really optimistic about this one. Tried it, upgraded successfully, but, alas, no change. Audio works, no video, no OSD.

If anyone out there is running an HD25e successfully with a Denon AVR-E300, please chime in....I'm starting to wonder if this combination just isn't a good match.
Maybe there is a certain setting that is causing a problem. Can you reset the projector to defaults? Or was that done with the update already?
post #9735 of 10695 Old 12-13-2014, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
That would be X4000 HDMI(ARC) monitor "output" to the TV's HDMI(ARC) "input." HDMI-CEC on the TV must be enabled as well as audio set to "external speakers" and HDMI Control on the X4000 set to ON.
The confusion some folks have regarding HDMI CEC & ARC are is that they're bi-directional. The traditional input/output roles on the devices changes a bit. When you want to pipe the audio from a TV's built-in smart apps back to the receiver you need to tell the receiver to use that as a source. Which can seem rather confusing since you're still "watching the TV". And the TV is "always" sending it's audio back via the ARC, but it's ignored unless you tell the AVR to start using it. So you end up with another "input" but not another wire to carry it.

One other side note, when you use ARC you're NOT sending video back to the receiver. Just sound. So no on-screen overlays for volume control or other information from the AVR will be displayed on the TV's screen. The TV is essentially watching it's own signal, not getting something sent to it. That and the TV won't send the video back down the HDMI cable, just the audio. This can be a bit of a surprise if someone thinks they can send the video back out to another zone. You can't, there's no video being output from the TV apps, nor is there a video input recognized by the AVR for the connection. ARC is audio only (Audio Return Channel).
Gandu likes this.
post #9736 of 10695 Old 12-13-2014, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
You have this capability now on your X3000 ... simply store a low master power on volume using a Quick Select for that source.
For some reason I keep forgetting about quick selects... oh I remember why... THEY AREN'T ON THE REMOTE. Sure, stupid buttons for Favorite network sources; there's three buttons for that useless feature! But nothing for quick selects. Do the latest remotes still lack them? A quick look at the Denon website seems to indicate they don't have them either.

Yeah, yeah, use a universal remote... When you have kids around it's less of a problem to have the durable factory plastic ones out instead of more fragile universal remotes or a tablet. Sometimes it's better to not set yourself up for problems...

Do quick select buttons also act as power on triggers; like the regular input buttons?

I've ordered an RC-1192. I'll give it a try for the quick selects.

I'd still like to find an IR code (and a source that'll emit it) for toggling through the active inputs. For remotes with a single 'Source' button it'd be handy to have that.
post #9737 of 10695 Old 12-13-2014, 09:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 898 Post(s)
Liked: 518
I already have all the QS codes from the 1192 in JP1 and pronto hex format if you want them. If you get a cheap UEI remote, you can send any codes and anything you want in activity macros all in a tough, durable package for about $15, or free if you have cable TV.

Last edited by mdavej; 12-13-2014 at 09:19 AM.
post #9738 of 10695 Old 12-13-2014, 09:19 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
For some reason I keep forgetting about quick selects... oh I remember why... THEY AREN'T ON THE REMOTE. Sure, stupid buttons for Favorite network sources; there's three buttons for that useless feature! But nothing for quick selects. Do the latest remotes still lack them? A quick look at the Denon website seems to indicate they don't have them either.

Yeah, yeah, use a universal remote... When you have kids around it's less of a problem to have the durable factory plastic ones out instead of more fragile universal remotes or a tablet. Sometimes it's better to not set yourself up for problems...

Do quick select buttons also act as power on triggers; like the regular input buttons?

I've ordered an RC-1192. I'll give it a try for the quick selects.

I'd still like to find an IR code (and a source that'll emit it) for toggling through the active inputs. For remotes with a single 'Source' button it'd be handy to have that.
1. Yes, new 2014 remotes have the QS buttons on them.
2. Yes, QS buttons act as power on triggers.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #9739 of 10695 Old 12-13-2014, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone with the Denon X2000? For some reason, I am getting no audio output from my center channel. However, I can complete a test tone on the center speaker and hear noise. What gives? I have it enabled in the settings but I do not hear anything from Music or gaming.
post #9740 of 10695 Old 12-13-2014, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hey all,

I have an AVR-X1000 that worked fine for about 10 months now. I bought a new TV (Samsung PN60F5300) that replaced an older Samsung PN58C500 that was dying. After hooking everything back up, I get no audio or video out from the HDMI Out (ARC) port on the AVR-X1000. I've tried different HDMI cables and tried all 5 HDMI inputs on the back with no success. I do notice that the TV changes from "No Cable Connected" to "No Signal" when I plug in the source to the back of the receiver. For example, if I unplug my DirecTV HDR from the receiver, the TV display changes to "No Cable Connected". When I plug it back in to the HDMI IN on the Receiver, the TV displays "No Signal". Additionally, when I plug the HDMI IN cable to the receiver, the display on the front of the receiver shows "DIG" and the Pro Logic symbol illiuminated. When I unplug the cable, they both go back off. So it seems there is some connection being established, but I still get no audio or video at all. I also get no OSD after doing a hard reset of the receiver.

I have tried this on all 3 of my TV's in the house now with the same results. I've read about 8 hours worth of troubleshooting threads and tried all the stuff they suggest like turning everything off and then powering back up in a certain order, but nothing has worked. It seems to me like my HDMI board in the receiver might be bad? Any suggestions? I called Denon and they were really dismissive and basically said just ship it to a repair center and they will fix it and send it back. However, there's no repair center in my state and the shipping costs aren't cheap given the weight of this receiver. If it truly is a bad board, I'd probably rather just switch to something else like a Pioneer than throw more money into a product that broke after 10 months of normal usage.

Has anyone else run into this problem and fixed it? It seems very strange that it just happened to blow an HDMI board atht same time I got a new TV.

Is the HDMI board easy enough to swap out? I build server and PC systems a lot so I'm not scared doing a little hands on work with circuit bords. Does anyone know the part number? A google search isn't turning up much for me.

Thanks in advance..
-nick

Last edited by nickstl77; 12-13-2014 at 10:03 PM.
post #9741 of 10695 Old 12-14-2014, 12:14 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Will my Denon X1000 adequately power Sennheiser HD600 Headphones, these headphones are 300ohms. I have read mixed reviews, some saying a separate amplifier will be needed and others saying not, but nothing specific to the Denon X series or my 1000.
post #9742 of 10695 Old 12-14-2014, 12:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 88
I am looking for some suggestions on the next step with my setup since I pretty much broke the bank with the NFM sale I have some decisions to make.

I currently have a Denon X4000 and the typical 5.1 setup with all Klipsch Reference II Speakers I planned on adding more speakers next year but ended up ordering 4 of the CDT-5800 Ceiling Speakers as I really can't put any more speakers on my walls.

With this and my AVR in mind what would you suggest for placement? I was thinking about doing the 9.1 Setup that is listed on the Dolby website here. http://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/sur...9-1-setup.html

This would add front and rear height speakers but is this something that is supported by my AVR and commonly found in movies? Would the Front and back height speakers be ok in the ceiling?

Unless I return this AVR (which I just got last week) and get something that is Atmos capable I don't see myself going in that direction anytime soon (but never say never with me). If I was going with an Atmos Setup it looks like I could go with the four speakers in the ceiling in front and behind my main listening position.

What you would suggest would be the best bang for the buck?
post #9743 of 10695 Old 12-14-2014, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked: 1768
If you have 4 ceiling speakers you really should go Atmos. It may hurt the wallet short term but I would return the 4000 and swap to the 4100. Call JD for pricing that is probably better than you expect.

Otherwise you can install them, and use the two in front as front height, and the two behind as back surround. And then wait and upgrade to Atmos in a couple of years.
post #9744 of 10695 Old 12-14-2014, 01:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
If you have 4 ceiling speakers you really should go Atmos. It may hurt the wallet short term but I would return the 4000 and swap to the 4100. Call JD for pricing that is probably better than you expect.

Otherwise you can install them, and use the two in front as front height, and the two behind as back surround. And then wait and upgrade to Atmos in a couple of years.
Of course you would suggest that. Arrghhh I thought I did a good amount of research before buying the X4000. What do you think / guess the price bump might be for the 4100?
post #9745 of 10695 Old 12-14-2014, 01:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

I was just looking through the manual (Page 48) of the X4100 and it gives the impression that for me to do a 5.1.4 Atmos Setup I will need to use an external Amp?
post #9746 of 10695 Old 12-14-2014, 03:50 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Has Denon lost the plot?

Looking across the field of all the AVRs after the xx13s (and to an extent the xx12s), the number of inputs is dropping dramatically and not in a good way.

S-Video has completely disappeared. Unfortunately my collection of VCR tapes and the VCR player has not disappeared and the best output from that is s-video. Then there are other devices where the best output is component, for which there is a single input on many of the new devices.

Sure if I'm buying everything new today, HDMI is everywhere.

But some things I can't replace and seemingly it would appear that the last Denon receivers with s-video are amongst those. If I upgrade, I can no longer feed in video from the VCR using the best output that has to offer. I'm also at a loss for where I would plug in a turn table on many of the AVRs.

If Denon had simply added networking to the 21xx/23xx series and hadn't taken away so many other features, it would be fine and I'd have something to buy. But they took away much much more and alas there isn't a model that I can now buy to replace what I've got.
post #9747 of 10695 Old 12-14-2014, 05:56 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
I was just looking through the manual (Page 48) of the X4100 and it gives the impression that for me to do a 5.1.4 Atmos Setup I will need to use an external Amp?
Correct. Just as with the X4000, the X4100W is a 7CH AVR and to expand to 9CH (5+4=9) requires an external 2CH amp.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #9748 of 10695 Old 12-14-2014, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Harley View Post
Will my Denon X1000 adequately power Sennheiser HD600 Headphones, these headphones are 300ohms. I have read mixed reviews, some saying a separate amplifier will be needed and others saying not, but nothing specific to the Denon X series or my 1000.
I have HD600s and an X4000. The x4000 does a decent job of powering these headphones, but they have a richer sound when I use a separate headphone amp. I don't know if the x1000 has the same headphone amp circuit as my Denon.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K701, Burson HA-160, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910
post #9749 of 10695 Old 12-14-2014, 06:02 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakosnicek View Post
Looking across the field of all the AVRs after the xx13s (and to an extent the xx12s), the number of inputs is dropping dramatically and not in a good way.

S-Video has completely disappeared. Unfortunately my collection of VCR tapes and the VCR player has not disappeared and the best output from that is s-video. Then there are other devices where the best output is component, for which there is a single input on many of the new devices.

Sure if I'm buying everything new today, HDMI is everywhere.

But some things I can't replace and seemingly it would appear that the last Denon receivers with s-video are amongst those. If I upgrade, I can no longer feed in video from the VCR using the best output that has to offer. I'm also at a loss for where I would plug in a turn table on many of the AVRs.

If Denon had simply added networking to the 21xx/23xx series and hadn't taken away so many other features, it would be fine and I'd have something to buy. But they took away much much more and alas there isn't a model that I can now buy to replace what I've got.
Although legacy inputs are no longer supported on current AVRs, you can still buy 3rd party converters as well as phono pre-amps.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #9750 of 10695 Old 12-14-2014, 06:10 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbohannon View Post
Anyone with the Denon X2000? For some reason, I am getting no audio output from my center channel. However, I can complete a test tone on the center speaker and hear noise. What gives? I have it enabled in the settings but I do not hear anything from Music or gaming.
What surround mode is selected? STEREO mode does not use the center speaker.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , dolby digital plus , netflix 5.1
Gear in this thread