The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 342 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #10231 of 10256 Old 01-21-2015, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
I don't understand "box enough" in this context: Any amp or AVR can process TV audio; the relevant issues pertaining to "amp enough," are what speakers, what room size, what typical volume level? Does your Sony lack features or sound quality, or is it just not "shiny"? The x2000 will upscale to 4K, according to the specs, but I haven't got 4K or an x2000 and can't speak to how well it upscales.
My apologies, phrased it completely wrong. (Have a 10 day old baby in the house, sleep is something of a rarity!)

Not concerned about sound in any way. The speakers I have (Polk TL2 surrounds and center, TSi 300 mains, and an Acoustech PL200 sub) do the job nicely, and can't complain in the least about the Audyssey setup on the X2000. The main question I suppose was compatibility with the 4k TV, as I'm lost in a sea of HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 (which I know no receivers have fully implemented yet) and scratching my head in order to decide if the X2000 will handle it, or if I need to upgrade a receiver I love, or if there's no point in upgrading right now, and am better off waiting until the X2200 (2300, 2400...).

I mentioned the lack of sleep, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10232 of 10256 Old 01-21-2015, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermick View Post
My apologies, phrased it completely wrong. (Have a 10 day old baby in the house, sleep is something of a rarity!)

Not concerned about sound in any way. The speakers I have (Polk TL2 surrounds and center, TSi 300 mains, and an Acoustech PL200 sub) do the job nicely, and can't complain in the least about the Audyssey setup on the X2000. The main question I suppose was compatibility with the 4k TV, as I'm lost in a sea of HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 (which I know no receivers have fully implemented yet) and scratching my head in order to decide if the X2000 will handle it, or if I need to upgrade a receiver I love, or if there's no point in upgrading right now, and am better off waiting until the X2200 (2300, 2400...).

I mentioned the lack of sleep, right?
Your x2000 will be able to do everything you need it to with today's 4k TVs. If you aren't in need of more power or more channels, I wouldn't upgrade. The only reason I might upgrade is to add another sub and upgrade to the X4000 with XT32 with Sub EQ HT. if you are happy with xt, I would sit tight, though.

There is too much up in the air with HDMI, immersive audio, and UHD to upgrade in my opinion.

Just my opinion, though. Congratulations on the baby.
Vader424242 and ubermick like this.

Last edited by johnnymacIII; 01-21-2015 at 08:28 PM.
post #10233 of 10256 Old 01-21-2015, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks for that, Johnny - helps a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymacIII View Post
Just my opinion, though. Congratulations on the baby.
And 'tis far more informed than mine!
post #10234 of 10256 Old 01-22-2015, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just became part of the club, pulled the trigger and ordered the X4000 last night. It will be here Tuesday so I will begin playing with all the bells and whistles then. Thanks all for the help in my decision.
post #10235 of 10256 Old 01-22-2015, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 160
So I think I'm loosing my X4000 after 12 months of use. It's shutting down, flashing red light. Its just random. Sometimes after being on 10mins, sometimes, after hours of use. Heat is not an issue. After checking all cables, banana plugs, I don't see anything but some of these are in wall. It even happens when ear phones are plugged in. Amp is never used above 45 volume - small room.

I now have swapped it with my x4100, and left the x4000 just powered up with no other cables plugged in. Lets see which one shuts down first.
post #10236 of 10256 Old 01-22-2015, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 75
^^^
I believe the X4000 has 3 years of warranty when bought new, so you can just have it repaired.
post #10237 of 10256 Old 01-22-2015, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked: 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post
So I think I'm loosing my X4000 after 12 months of use. It's shutting down, flashing red light. Its just random. Sometimes after being on 10mins, sometimes, after hours of use. Heat is not an issue. After checking all cables, banana plugs, I don't see anything but some of these are in wall. It even happens when ear phones are plugged in. Amp is never used above 45 volume - small room.
This is sort of a known issue (strangely seemingly only affects the X4000, not sure why nobody has reported it with any other models). The symptoms are random shut-down with seemingly no cause (receiver isn't hot, etc) and fast blinky light. It should just start on back up if you push the power button, as though nothing bad happened.

I had a little bout of this with my X4000 -- I even left it on overnight, sitting out in the open, with nothing plugged in, to rule out any heat or speaker wiring issues, and when I woke up in the morning it was shut down with fast blinky light around the power button. What I did was do multiple "deep resets" in a row -- like 4 or 5 in a row. Letting it flash and blink for a few seconds after each reset to make sure it "took". After that, the problem didn't re-manifest. If it does continue to do it after the reset, I would contact Denon for warranty service.

Here's the procedure for the "deep reset" as documented by JD:

1 - Turn off the power using ON/STANDBY.
2 - Simultaneously press/hold the UP/DOWN arrow buttons on the front panel and then press the ON/STANDBY button on the front panel.
3 - Once the display starts flashing at intervals of about 1 second, release the two buttons (but hold for at least 4-5 seconds).

** If in step 3 the display does not flash at intervals of about 1 second, start over from step 1.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #10238 of 10256 Old 01-22-2015, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 160
ok thanks will definitely try that. I want to leave it on all night to rule out wire issues as well. I will reset it tomorrow.
post #10239 of 10256 Old 01-23-2015, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thumbs down X4000 issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
This is sort of a known issue (strangely seemingly only affects the X4000, not sure why nobody has reported it with any other models). The symptoms are random shut-down with seemingly no cause (receiver isn't hot, etc) and fast blinky light. It should just start on back up if you push the power button, as though nothing bad happened.

I had a little bout of this with my X4000 -- I even left it on overnight, sitting out in the open, with nothing plugged in, to rule out any heat or speaker wiring issues, and when I woke up in the morning it was shut down with fast blinky light around the power button. What I did was do multiple "deep resets" in a row -- like 4 or 5 in a row. Letting it flash and blink for a few seconds after each reset to make sure it "took". After that, the problem didn't re-manifest. If it does continue to do it after the reset, I would contact Denon for warranty service.

2 - Simultaneously press/hold the UP/DOWN arrow buttons on the front panel and then press the ON/STANDBY button on the front panel.
3 - Once the display starts flashing at intervals of about 1 second, release the two buttons (but hold for at least 4-5 seconds).

** If in step 3 the display does not flash at intervals of about 1 second, start over from step 1.
I had a different frustrating problem with my X4000 (see post #10194 on this thread). My network function was repeatedly going wonky. As noted in post update, the only permanent cure (so far) has been 5 microprocessor resets in a row as recommended by JD. I emailed Denon on January 14th about the problem I was having and still have not received an email response. Today I used their "Customer Support" chat and was told "this is the first time I have heard of such a thing." The Denon rep also recommended (via an obvious script) that I should send it in to a service center under warranty. When I asked why I had received no response to my original request, he noted that they were way behind on email responses due to the large number of customer inquiries. What does that tell you?
post #10240 of 10256 Old 01-23-2015, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

that fixed mine as well. It rearly occures now and all I need to do is unplug for about a minute.
post #10241 of 10256 Old Yesterday, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Although legacy inputs are no longer supported on current AVRs, you can still buy 3rd party converters as well as phono pre-amps.
Looking at local auctions, the *13 series models fetch better prices than their equivalent from the X*000 series.
post #10242 of 10256 Old Yesterday, 05:33 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post

I now have swapped it with my x4100, and left the x4000 just powered up with no other cables plugged in. Lets see which one shuts down first.
I had this happen within a week of purchasing an X4000. Took it back to the shop and they didn't believe me. They plugged it into the power, turned it on, 15 minutes later it shut down. They exchanged it for another one and the first one I bought went back to Denon.
post #10243 of 10256 Old Yesterday, 07:24 AM

So with my new x4000 that is being delivered on Tuesday, would it be advisable to cycle through the hard resets a few times before setting it all up?
post #10244 of 10256 Old Yesterday, 07:57 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2654 Post(s)
Liked: 1903
^^
If it's used/refurb yes, otherwise if new in box, not required.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Call me --> 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor and dealer for AVRs and Speakers 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for info on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #10245 of 10256 Old Yesterday, 08:33 AM

Brand new, just wondering if it may be preventative maintenance before shut downs and blinking.
post #10246 of 10256 Old Yesterday, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked: 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantamancave View Post
Brand new, just wondering if it may be preventative maintenance before shut downs and blinking.
It's not like every unit does that. If it ain't broke....
post #10247 of 10256 Old Yesterday, 01:58 PM

I'm a mechanic by trade and a former Marine...so in typical government/military fashion if it's working fine one must keep improving or "fixing" until it's broken. Old habits die hard. But seriously, the only reason I ask is I'd hate to have all settings made and be completely content only to have to wipe them all out with a reset. Didn't know if it could be headed off, with a preemptive strike.
post #10248 of 10256 Old Yesterday, 02:20 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
I'm a mechanic by trade and a former Marine...so in typical government/military fashion if it's working fine one must keep improving or "fixing" until it's broken. Old habits die hard. But seriously, the only reason I ask is I'd hate to have all settings made and be completely content only to have to wipe them all out with a reset. Didn't know if it could be headed off, with a preemptive strike.
Lots of helpful info is provided in post #3 of this thread to include the SAVE/LOAD procedure to back up all settings ....

The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Call me --> 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor and dealer for AVRs and Speakers 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for info on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #10249 of 10256 Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM

Well just found my weekend reading, thanks!
post #10250 of 10256 Old Yesterday, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
You can save all of your settings onto a PC and then reload them if you have to do a hard reset someday.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #10251 of 10256 Old Yesterday, 04:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked: 486
Quote:
Lots of helpful info is provided in post #3 of this thread to include the SAVE/LOAD procedure to back up all settings ....

The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ
Thanks jd and pbarach. Although I couldn't get the posted link to work on my E400, I found one that did work, in case you want to update your post. The one that worked was:

http://192.168.100.19/SETUP/OTHERS/f_others.asp

instead of /Setup_Index.asp
post #10252 of 10256 Old Yesterday, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
I just picked up an AVR-E200 to use with an Amazon Fire TV that's running Kodi Helix. I have it hooked up using HDMI, and the AFTV is set to put audio out through HDMI. On the Kodi settings, I have the audio set to Passthrough, and all the different audio formats are enabled. When I play a movie file that's DD 5.1, I get a loud hissing noise, instead of the movie audio. If I disable Passthrough, I don't get the hissing sound, but I only get 2 channel audio. I set the audio on Kodi back to Passthrough, and started playing with the settings on the E200. The input mode was set to auto, so I changed it to HDMI, and the audio started working properly, and it displayed DD on the front of the receiver. When I put it back to auto, the hissing noise came back. I put it back to HDMI, and it works fine, until I turn the receiver off. When I turn the receiver back on, the input mode is still set to HDMI, but I get the hissing noise. If I cycle through the input mode, and put it back to HDMI, it works fine. I hooked the AFTV to my Denon AVR-890, and the audio works perfectly, without changing any settings. Do I have a faulty E200, or is it just that it's not as good of a receiver as my 890?
post #10253 of 10256 Old Yesterday, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am brand new to this forum. I have a denon x3000 hooked up to an lg65ub9200. When watching the Netflix or YouTube app on the TV, I do not get any audio. I have the HDMI cable hooked into the ARC terminals. Should the TV audio start automatically when the app starts? I turned my direct TV set top box off as well.
post #10254 of 10256 Old Yesterday, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Yes.
Thanks. I'm trying to figure out how this will work, so bear with me...

Referring to this page: http://batpigworld.com/wp/?p=160

I use my Playstation 3 currently, and will be using a Chromecast soon to play my music. I did an A/B speaker comparison with my 1910 this way. If I'm reading this right, the X2000 would not work for me. Am I correct that I would have to step up to the X3000 in order to play an HDMI audio source to the second set of speakers?

What I want is to just have the song playing, and simply be able to click between the speakers so I can hear the differences.

I could also go with the X2100 if this functionality was changed there. I'm sure you would know the answer to that.

Thanks!

Samsung, Sony, Denon, Infinity, EMP, Velodyne and SVS
Samsung PN64H5000 Recommended Settings
post #10255 of 10256 Old Today, 04:48 AM
585-645-1006

^^
If you refer to p. 130 in the X2000 Owner's manual, you'll note there is an AMP ASSIGN = Front B setting which can play the same HDMI source as is playing to the Front A speakers.

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
post #10256 of 10256 Old Today, 04:52 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by RISE UP View Post
I am brand new to this forum. I have a denon x3000 hooked up to an lg65ub9200. When watching the Netflix or YouTube app on the TV, I do not get any audio. I have the HDMI cable hooked into the ARC terminals. Should the TV audio start automatically when the app starts? I turned my direct TV set top box off as well.
Refer to my post below to set up ARC ...

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
post #10257 of 10256 Old Today, 04:55 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglen View Post
I just picked up an AVR-E200 to use with an Amazon Fire TV that's running Kodi Helix. I have it hooked up using HDMI, and the AFTV is set to put audio out through HDMI. On the Kodi settings, I have the audio set to Passthrough, and all the different audio formats are enabled. When I play a movie file that's DD 5.1, I get a loud hissing noise, instead of the movie audio. If I disable Passthrough, I don't get the hissing sound, but I only get 2 channel audio. I set the audio on Kodi back to Passthrough, and started playing with the settings on the E200. The input mode was set to auto, so I changed it to HDMI, and the audio started working properly, and it displayed DD on the front of the receiver. When I put it back to auto, the hissing noise came back. I put it back to HDMI, and it works fine, until I turn the receiver off. When I turn the receiver back on, the input mode is still set to HDMI, but I get the hissing noise. If I cycle through the input mode, and put it back to HDMI, it works fine. I hooked the AFTV to my Denon AVR-890, and the audio works perfectly, without changing any settings. Do I have a faulty E200, or is it just that it's not as good of a receiver as my 890?
Generally these HDMI handshake issues are caused by the source, so also could be a faulty Amazon Fire. Also try every HDMI input as one may work better than another.

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , dolby digital plus , netflix 5.1
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page