The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 346 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-04-2015, 09:29 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3723 Post(s)
Liked: 2182
^^
Keep in mind, the Darby is merely "enhancing" the display, so you are best served adjusting quality either from source, AVR, or PJ first.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call only for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2015, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
Keep in mind, the Darby is merely "enhancing" the display, so you are best served adjusting quality either from source, AVR, or PJ first.
Thx jd. Completely forgot about picture adjust settings in my avr.
I will try it with all my sources and see how big is a difference in PQ.
When i hooked up my old xbox 360 via commponent cable the picture was far from being HD. I had to change sharpness and detail clarity in my projector. So i wonder how vivid mode will handle xbox.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 24
My refurbished X3000 arrives tomorrow, anything I should do or know? I read from here I should immediately reset the microprocessor, so I'll be doing that. And over the next 2 weeks I'll be slowing transitioning from 2.0 to 5.1 (as they arrive) so I'm very excited
Old 02-04-2015, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
^^
Sorry, but no. You may be able to minimize if using the same surround mode for all input signals, stereo and multi channel.
Thanks for the suggestion - all my inputs are set to DTS Neo:X. I have an irrational fear that the clicking sounds will lead to a premature demise of the AVR.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Try a series of microprocessor resets (4-5) and if still no joy, repair would be the next step.
Thank you JD.

Edit: Well, I tried the microprocessor resets but still no luck. I'll be trying to get it repaired now. Maybe I'll use this as an excuse to upgrade lol.

Last edited by cmryan821; 02-09-2015 at 07:34 AM.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Refer to post #5 of this thread and reset the microprocessor about 4-5 times in a row. If still no joy, exchange/repair.
If only... As I have posted before, I tried all those resets and finally sent my x4000 to Panurgy who could not duplicate the issue and sent iut back without doing anything. Yet the problem hasn't recurred.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K701, Burson HA-160, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910
Old 02-04-2015, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Refer to post #5 of this thread and reset the microprocessor about 4-5 times in a row. If still no joy, exchange/repair.
Thanks Jdsmoothie, I just tried that and did it about six times. There was no change and I continued to get the 'Microphone or Speaker are none' message. I've still got a week left on my Amazon return policy so I'm going to start that process now.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi everyone,

I just bought a refurbished X4000 and had a couple of questions as I was working with it.

1. I checked the back 6 HDMI inputs to see if they would output, and they did to both zone 1 and zone 2. But the front HDMI input only outputs to zone 1, not to zone 2. Is this normal? I wouldn't think so but it seemed strange.

2. I hear a lot of clacks coming from the receiver. While watching a blu-ray it clacks repeatedly during previews. If I fast forward it clacks twice, when I hit play hit clacks twice. Which is different then my old Denon 988. Is this normal? Also I hear a slight "puff" from my speakers coincidental with the clacks. Is this normal as well?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
After running Audyssey Setup, most will want to raise the Subwoofer volume in Manual Setup - Test Tones - Subwoofer about +3-5db.
I don't have a sub but I increased the RF and LF and Center so that the R&L are at +2 and the center to 0, Audyssey had set them to -3 or -4.

Are the changes I made ok or should I tweak it some more or does it just depend on how it sounds to me? Also will the settings being + and not - hurt the speakers?

Denon: AVR e400
Klipsch: RF-82 II / RC-62 II
Old 02-05-2015, 05:20 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05JGM View Post
I don't have a sub but I increased the RF and LF and Center so that the R&L are at +2 and the center to 0, Audyssey had set them to -3 or -4.

Are the changes I made ok or should I tweak it some more or does it just depend on how it sounds to me? Also will the settings being + and not - hurt the speakers?
Settings are purely personal preference, and no, + settings will not hurt the speakers.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call only for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
Old 02-05-2015, 05:22 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by family_man View Post
Hi everyone,

I just bought a refurbished X4000 and had a couple of questions as I was working with it.

1. I checked the back 6 HDMI inputs to see if they would output, and they did to both zone 1 and zone 2. But the front HDMI input only outputs to zone 1, not to zone 2. Is this normal? I wouldn't think so but it seemed strange.

2. I hear a lot of clacks coming from the receiver. While watching a blu-ray it clacks repeatedly during previews. If I fast forward it clacks twice, when I hit play hit clacks twice. Which is different then my old Denon 988. Is this normal? Also I hear a slight "puff" from my speakers coincidental with the clacks. Is this normal as well?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks.
1. If you are referring to the Zone 2 HDMI output, only the rear HDMI inputs will work.
2. The amps will click when surround modes change.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
Old 02-05-2015, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Can someone help? noob here and I can't run wires to back of the room, I want to get the Denon x3000 with c/l/r sub and 2 backs for surround. Is there a way to hook up the Martin logan sub and surrounds wireless? wife wants to get vision 5.1 sound bar since it connects rear to sub. but I want something better.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:34 PM
585-645-1006

^^
There are wireless kits you can use to connect to existing speakers or you can buy wireless speakers. Just google "wireless speaker kits."

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
Old 02-05-2015, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Front Wide can be bookshelf/monitor speakers; however, before adding them you must first add Side Surrounds.
Why is that? Seems like if I do 3ch stereo now, adding wides should not be all that different. :-)

Quote:
You may want to first try placing the Side Surrounds slightly forward in a pseudo Wide position.
I might be able to put speakers in the rear but side is probably out, due to room layout.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
^^
Depends on the capability of your TV. In many cases HDMI(ARC) can only pass PCM 2.0 while optical can pass PCM 2.0 or DD 5.1.
So, I actually might be better off with optical? Ok, thanks! I'll see if I can find out about the TV part.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:04 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidgamer View Post
Why is that? Seems like if I do 3ch stereo now, adding wides should not be all that different. :-)

I might be able to put speakers in the rear but side is probably out, due to room layout.
In order to add Front Wide or Surround Back or Front Height speakers, you must at least have a 5.1 setup. If you only want to add 2 more speakers (ie. 3.1 --> 5.1) you can move the "Side" surrounds forward to the physical Front Wide location, however, they would still be getting a "Side surround" signal.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
Old 02-06-2015, 05:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidgamer View Post

I would venture a guess that, because the wide and/or height speakers extract audio cues from the surround speakers (at least in part) when in PLIIx or Neo:X modes, it would sound kind of strange to hear only the extracted audio cues from surround channels, without hearing the originating discrete surround channel sounds.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:35 AM

2. The amps will click when surround modes change.[/QUOTE]

JD - Thanks for the info. What about the sound I am hearing from my speakers? When the receiver clicks over it makes a sound similar to say pulling an audio plug, but at a lower volume. Its not terrible, but really odd.

Also - I was having trouble getting zone 2 to output sound via preouts. Last night I had the hobbit on bluray playing via playstation 3 and I could use the zone 1 preouts to drive another set of speakers. But when I set zone 2 to the playstation I could not get the zone 2 preouts to push any sound. I tried bitstream and PCM but no success. Is there a setting to turn the zone 2 preouts on?
Old 02-06-2015, 09:23 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Static in the speakers may be an issue with the AVR or your speakers. For audio from the PS3 to pass to Zone 2, the HDMI Audio (Zone 2 only), p. 194 must be changed to "PCM".

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
Old 02-06-2015, 11:20 AM

JD,

Would there be any reason the static would come from just the relays turning on and off?

Regarding zone 2 audio, I believe I tried zone 2 on PCM last night without any luck. I will try again tonight.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:56 AM

Sometimes (once every month or so) the network interface of the Denon AVR-X1000 seems to crash. When this issue occurs, the music will stutter every two seconds when using AirPlay and the networking start screen with Spotify and internet radio also is unavailable (TV says no signal). Pulling the plug and putting it back in is the only resolution to fix it. Does anyone know why this is happening and how it can be prevented? It's quite an annoyance, even though the receiver itself is perfect for me.

Last edited by Merkie; 02-07-2015 at 05:10 AM.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:00 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Is the AVR connected "wirelessly" or "wired"? If wireless, at what distance to router? You may want to use a different router or add a network router extender.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
Old 02-07-2015, 06:34 AM

Quote:
^^
Is the AVR connected "wirelessly" or "wired"? If wireless, at what distance to router? You may want to use a different router or add a network router extender.
The X1000 has no wireless interface, so that should answer your question. My router is definitely not the problem for two reasons: (1) the issue occured with my previous router as well and (2) the entire network GUI doesn't work anymore (though you can navigate through the small display on the receiver, so it's "working", only the GUI seems to have crashed).
Old 02-07-2015, 07:02 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkie View Post
The X1000 has no wireless interface, so that should answer your question. My router is definitely not the problem for two reasons: (1) the issue occured with my previous router as well and (2) the entire network GUI doesn't work anymore (though you can navigate through the small display on the receiver, so it's "working", only the GUI seems to have crashed).
Any networking capable AVR (to include the X1000) can be connected wirelessly by simply adding another router in "bridge" mode as I discuss in my post #3 of this thread linked below:

The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ

To resolve your issue, you may want to try a "Network reset" as I describe in post #5 of this thread and linked below:

The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
Old 02-07-2015, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Use preout with powered speaker

My powered speaker has 3.5mm port and I connect that port to preout of the X1000 using 3.5mm to RCA cable. Music is played via Chromecast plugged in to 1 of the HDMI ports. I unplugged all my other speakers. However, I still don't get any sound out to my powered speaker. Am I missing anything here? Thanks
Old 02-07-2015, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
So I've been messing around with the sound fields a lot as the presets so my son can just push the "colored button" on my Logitech depending on what he's watching. To get the optimal sound mix from my PS3 as the studio intended I would simply use Direct correct?
Old 02-07-2015, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Opinions on X4000 vs 4250 please...

I'm considering upgrading from my 3312 to the x4000, as both the 4000 and the 4250 are now available as refurbs for under $1000. My initial inclination is to get the X4000 for the enhanced subwoofer EQ (I do use twin subs), but the refurb 4250 is just a couple hundred bucks more and I could really use the additional amp configuration flexibility of the 4250. I have an Emo XPA-2 for the mains as well as an XPA-5 for the center, rear and surrounds, so the differences in the amp sections of the two AVR's is also not really an issue.

My real question is if the sub EQ of the X4000 wins out over the 4250, or is the 4250 just better all around when it is essentially used only as a pre-amp. Thanks for any input.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 4520ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's. TV room: RtiA3's & Rti4 surrounds, Csi3, Klipsch SW-450, Yamaha 565... Bedroom: Lsi9's on an Onkyo TX-8050
Old 02-07-2015, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post
Opinions on X4000 vs 4250 please...

I'm considering upgrading from my 3312 to the x4000, as both the 4000 and the 4250 are now available as refurbs for under $1000. My initial inclination is to get the X4000 for the enhanced subwoofer EQ (I do use twin subs), but the refurb 4250 is just a couple hundred bucks more and I could really use the additional amp configuration flexibility of the 4250. I have an Emo XPA-2 for the mains as well as an XPA-5 for the center, rear and surrounds, so the differences in the amp sections of the two AVR's is also not really an issue.

My real question is if the sub EQ of the X4000 wins out over the 4250, or is the 4250 just better all around when it is essentially used only as a pre-amp. Thanks for any input.
The 4520ci has sub eq.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
I would venture a guess that, because the wide and/or height speakers extract audio cues from the surround speakers (at least in part) when in PLIIx or Neo:X modes, it would sound kind of strange to hear only the extracted audio cues from surround channels, without hearing the originating discrete surround channel sounds.
I want to get front heights, but not sure what size speakers to get. So the front heights are more subtle, kind of like the surrounds, or do they have the main dialogue coming through like the center?
I have Klipsch RF-82II's, RC-62II, and RS-52II's , I'm leaning towards the RB-51II's for front heights to match the surrounds. What do you think would be best for my setup?
Old 02-07-2015, 08:16 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by cppc1 View Post
My powered speaker has 3.5mm port and I connect that port to preout of the X1000 using 3.5mm to RCA cable. Music is played via Chromecast plugged in to 1 of the HDMI ports. I unplugged all my other speakers. However, I still don't get any sound out to my powered speaker. Am I missing anything here? Thanks
The X1000 only has Zone 2 pre-outs. The only way to get HDMI audio to Zone 2 is using the ALL ZONE STEREO setting.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST

Tags
Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , dolby digital plus , netflix 5.1