The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 359 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #10741 of 10761 Old Yesterday, 04:23 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3096 Post(s)
Liked: 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
I have a question about heat dispersion. I'm in the process of changing all my equipment around and trying to decide where to put what. My rack is a SANUS EFA31 which looks similar to the image below, I'm actually going to setup two separate racks side by side but that's not important,

I've made changes to it such as using 12" vs 8" pillars in a couple of sections.

My question is, will 2" of top room be enough for the X4000 with this style setup, considering that in the very near future, at a minimum, the front 3 channels will be driven by an external basic amplifier?

I suspect that it is but I wanted to see if the community had any comments, thanks!
The AVR will likely put out the same amount of heat regardless of whether using any on board amps or not as most of the heat comes from the video chip, so you'll likely want to add one or two PC fans to exhaust the heat away from the AVR.
Keenan likes this.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVS - We sell Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10742 of 10761 Old Yesterday, 04:29 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by dago52 View Post
I have an opportunity to score the X4000 at a really good price, but need some clarification first. I am running a 7.1 system in my living room. The system consist of L/C/R, front heights and dipole for my rear surrounds. I will eventually be adding a projector to the living room to watch movies. I would like to run the second zone to my bedroom with just an HDMI cable. my input sources are Xbox one, Apple Tv, and OTA HD antenna. I really don't want to purchase an external amp right now. So, the questions I have are below.

Can I just run an HDMI to my zone 2 tv (bedroom) and use the tv speakers?

Can I watch different sources at the time in both zones?

Or, do I need to consider a 9 channel amp?

Thanks
1. Yes. The X4000 has (3) HDMI monitor outputs, (2) for the main zone(TV + PJ), and (1) for Zone 2.
2. Yes, with the caveat being if you are watching the same HDMI source in both zones, the main zone would be reduced to only 2CH audio as well and if the Zone 2 TV is a lower resolution than the main zone TV (eg. 720p), the main zone would be limited to only 720p as well.
3. Not if using the TV speakers for Zone 2, no. However, if you did want to add Zone 2 speakers, you can use either an old AVR or the following amp connected to the Zone 2 pre-outs:

http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AM.../dp/B00026BQJ6
ambesolman likes this.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #10743 of 10761 Old Yesterday, 04:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
1. Yes. The X4000 has (3) HDMI monitor outputs, (2) for the main zone(TV + PJ), and (1) for Zone 2.
2. Yes, with the caveat being if you are watching the same HDMI source in both zones, the main zone would be reduced to only 2CH audio as well and if the Zone 2 TV is a lower resolution than the main zone TV (eg. 720p), the main zone would be limited to only 720p as well.
3. Not if using the TV speakers for Zone 2, no. However, if you did want to add Zone 2 speakers, you can use either an old AVR or the following amp connected to the Zone 2 pre-outs:

http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AM.../dp/B00026BQJ6
Thanks JD. My Apple TV is only 720p (2nd Gen). Will the 4520 allow me to play 1080p (Xbox One) in the main zone and 720P (Apple Tv) in the bedroom at the same time?
post #10744 of 10761 Old Yesterday, 05:16 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Thanks JD. My Apple TV is only 720p (2nd Gen). Will the 4520 allow me to play 1080p (Xbox One) in the main zone and 720P (Apple Tv) in the bedroom at the same time?
Yes. No issue when playing different sources. The 4520CI has the added feature of using Zone 4 for the HDMI output, so you can still use Zones 2 and 3 for audio only if you prefer.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #10745 of 10761 Old Yesterday, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
X2000 shutting down?

Ok I have a denon x2000 that keeps shutting off at high volume. I have installed computer fans in my media cabinet to no avail. I have 7.1 all klipsch f3/s3. Any tips or suggestions to make it quit? Am I asking to much out of it to sustain 68-74 volume for an extended period of time? I like to have parties and friends control it with their phone and it can get pretty wild. How can I make my receiver keep up with us?!?
post #10746 of 10761 Old Yesterday, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webb24 View Post
Ok I have a denon x2000 that keeps shutting off at high volume. I have installed computer fans in my media cabinet to no avail. I have 7.1 all klipsch f3/s3. Any tips or suggestions to make it quit? Am I asking to much out of it to sustain 68-74 volume for an extended period of time? I like to have parties and friends control it with their phone and it can get pretty wild. How can I make my receiver keep up with us?!?
You may want to check your speaker wire. I had the same problem with a Sony and I changed my speaker wire to a 14/2 and it eliminated the shutdowns.
post #10747 of 10761 Old Yesterday, 06:58 AM

Quote:
You may want to check your speaker wire. I had the same problem with a Sony and I changed my speaker wire to a 14/2 and it eliminated the shutdowns.
I do have pretty thick speaker wire for my front L and front R. Its 12 gauge if im not mistaken. Pretty sure everything else is 14 gauge. Im wiring up more fans now and going to sit them directly on top of the unit. It would be a real pain to change speaker wire as everything is already ran through the wall and such but I am getting pretty desperate to try anything.
post #10748 of 10761 Old Yesterday, 07:03 AM

Quote:
I do have pretty thick speaker wire for my front L and front R. Its 12 gauge if im not mistaken. Pretty sure everything else is 14 gauge. Im wiring up more fans now and going to sit them directly on top of the unit. It would be a real pain to change speaker wire as everything is already ran through the wall and such but I am getting pretty desperate to try anything.
Sounds like your wire is ok. Is the receiver located in a cabinet or closet? If it's in a closet, you may want to add an exhaust fan. I have one installed on a thermostat and it is set to 75 degrees.
post #10749 of 10761 Old Yesterday, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Sounds like your wire is ok. Is the receiver located in a cabinet or closet? If it's in a closet, you may want to add an exhaust fan. I have one installed on a thermostat and it is set to 75 degrees.
It is in a cabinet and I have installed two small intake and exhaust fans in it. I am about to load it down with four more fans and see if they make a difference. If not I think I am going to send it in for repair.
post #10750 of 10761 Old Yesterday, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
It is in a cabinet and I have installed two small intake and exhaust fans in it. I am about to load it down with four more fans and see if they make a difference. If not I think I am going to send it in for repair.
I just received the x2000 recently and mine continuously shuts down at loud volume with my Klipsch rf82 II's. Pretty frustrating.
post #10751 of 10761 Old Yesterday, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc. View Post
I just received the x2000 recently and mine continuously shuts down at loud volume with my Klipsch rf82 II's. Pretty frustrating.
Just curious but is yours in a cabinet or tight closet as well? Or is it for the most part in open air? Oh and I wonder why the hell do these things not have fans built into them? I love the unit as far as airplay and the iPhone app etc. but whats the use in having a 3k system if you can only listen to 50% constant volume reliability?
post #10752 of 10761 Old Yesterday, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Just curious but is yours in a cabinet or tight closet as well? Or is it for the most part in open air? Oh and I wonder why the hell do these things not have fans built into them? I love the unit as far as airplay and the iPhone app etc. but whats the use in having a 3k system if you can only listen to 50% constant volume reliability?
I have mine in an open cabinet but have also pulled it out to try and it didn't help.
post #10753 of 10761 Old Yesterday, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc. View Post
I have mine in an open cabinet but have also pulled it out to try and it didn't help.
Maybe some others can chime and give us and idea what they experience. I would hate to trade this thing off for something else but the main reason I got it was for parties. I never have any problems with movies or anything 50% volume or less. I will be trying the rest of my fans. I got 4 scrap computer fans that move quite a bit of air that I am going to set on top of it. Don't think my roommate would like me testing it while he sleeps so ill have to wait til later.
post #10754 of 10761 Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Maybe some others can chime and give us and idea what they experience. I would hate to trade this thing off for something else but the main reason I got it was for parties. I never have any problems with movies or anything 50% volume or less. I will be trying the rest of my fans. I got 4 scrap computer fans that move quite a bit of air that I am going to set on top of it. Don't think my roommate would like me testing it while he sleeps so ill have to wait til later.
Well I think I answered my own question. I put four more fans directly on top of the unit in addition to the four I already added to the cabinet and I couldn't get it to shut down. Granted it wont be truly tested til my next party but I was playing on 74 volume for quite some time. Seems like this thing needs LOTS of moving air when playing at high volume.
post #10755 of 10761 Old Yesterday, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Man this x4000 sounds great...especially how it eq's the 2 subs. I'm thoroughly impressed with the spacialness, fidelity, and tight accurate bass
post #10756 of 10761 Old Yesterday, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Well I think I answered my own question. I put four more fans directly on top of the unit in addition to the four I already added to the cabinet and I couldn't get it to shut down. Granted it wont be truly tested til my next party but I was playing on 74 volume for quite some time. Seems like this thing needs LOTS of moving air when playing at high volume.
I guess I'll have to buy some fans and try this myself. Let me know if this has solved your problem completely please. Thanks

Last edited by Doc.; Yesterday at 07:11 PM.
post #10757 of 10761 Old Yesterday, 04:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
The AVR will likely put out the same amount of heat regardless of whether using any on board amps or not as most of the heat comes from the video chip, so you'll likely want to add one or two PC fans to exhaust the heat away from the AVR.
Yes, I had read earlier that it was the video PCB that was generating most of the heat but figured that the amp section might be contributing some of its own as well. Thanks!
post #10758 of 10761 Old Yesterday, 07:28 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Yes, I had read earlier that it was the video PCB that was generating most of the heat but figured that the amp section might be contributing some of its own as well. Thanks!
You'd be surprised ... the AV8801 gets quite hot and it's a pre-pro.
Keenan likes this.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #10759 of 10761 Old Yesterday, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
You'd be surprised ... the AV8801 gets quite hot and it's a pre-pro.
About a year ago I was running my 2113 at fairly high volumes with music (about +10db or so) through zone 2 only. It started cutting out. Turn off, cool down, back on with the music. Eventually it was cutting out at lower levels and the stench of burning electronics became apparent. I took it in for a service at my local Denon agent. It came back having been fully tested tested, channels tweaked for correct balance, and a sheet saying no faults detected. All done under warranty (unexpected!). Funny thing was that even when the amp was off at the service place I could still smell the burnt electronics every time I turned the remainder of the system on (with a spare amp)... it ended up that the blu-ray player that had been sitting above it in the rack had been singed!. BR player survived, but it is mounted well above the amp! I am now using the 2113 in another system in the house in a music only system and all is perfect, and have bought an X3000 for the Home Theatre system.

Cheers!
post #10760 of 10761 Unread Today, 12:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
This video chip - is it the one used for conversion? And does it run cooler if I don't use conversion (I have it off as I have no need)?

*Under Construction*
To: AVR-X4000, Chane A3rx-c, Rythmik L12 (2)
Samsung PN64H5000 Recommended Settings
post #10761 of 10761 Unread Today, 01:27 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
This video chip - is it the one used for conversion? And does it run cooler if I don't use conversion (I have it off as I have no need)?
On average, Denon models generally run only "warm" at best; however, AFAIK, whether video processing is used or not, there is no change in the unit's temp. The new "ECO" mode on the 2014 models can drop the temp as much as 10 degrees when enabled.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , dolby digital plus , netflix 5.1
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page