The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 361 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #10801 of 11079 Old 03-07-2015, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I just got my X4000 in from A4L and wanted to make sure that this was the type of cable I would need to connect my phone or other device using it's headphone jack: http://www.amazon.com/Ugreen-Auxilia...uxiliary+cable
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10802 of 11079 Old 03-07-2015, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
It should send the file unaltered, though I'm not sure what the benefit is of keeping huge wav files.
Pretty sure it just sends audio (and video) data... Think about mirroring.

http://www.quora.com/How-does-Airpla...irport-Express

Quote:
Apple's proprietary AirPlay protocol provides developers the tools to send arbitrary video/audio data to a target device that conforms to the protocol. The data sent is simply a large buffer of bytes that describe the audio signal at any given time, to the closest sample. The data is not the raw .flac file data. Rather, it is that file's data decoded.
post #10803 of 11079 Old 03-08-2015, 12:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTissues View Post
I just got my X4000 in from A4L and wanted to make sure that this was the type of cable I would need to connect my phone or other device using it's headphone jack: http://www.amazon.com/Ugreen-Auxilia...uxiliary+cable
Yup, looks like a nice cable too.
post #10804 of 11079 Old 03-08-2015, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
It should send the file unaltered, though I'm not sure what the benefit is of keeping huge wav files.
The benefit is that they are not lossy and compressed, like mp3 files. I can send FLAC files (which are also lossless) as well via AirPlay using the newly updated VLC app on the iPhone.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K701, Burson HA-160, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910
post #10805 of 11079 Old 03-08-2015, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
The benefit is that they are not lossy and compressed, like mp3 files. I can send FLAC files (which are also lossless) as well via AirPlay using the newly updated VLC app on the iPhone.
That's my point. Why not go all lossless compressed? Wav doesn't even do album art, metadata, AFAIK.
post #10806 of 11079 Old 03-08-2015, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 123
^^
Couldn't care less about album art or metadata. My audio data files are a mixture of various types, including MP3, wav, flac, ape, dff, m4a. They are carefully arranged in a directory structure so I know the album and performers.
post #10807 of 11079 Old 03-08-2015, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, when watching tv in zone 3 i accidentally left the x4000 on for a few days. in the past this is what caused me to have problems with another unit. of course when i went to watch tv again my receiver is blinking orange. so i started it back up and it shuts itself off randomly now. i pulled the plug for a day then updated to the most recent firmware.

i then reset the microprocessor. unfortunately, i still have problems.

i'm still having the same problem the unit will just shut itself off randomly. for some reason when it does this now though it does not blink it just seems like it goes right to standby.

is there anything else i can try before i send this back to get serviced? i've had this receiver less than a year. the thought of unhooking everything and sending this back is making me sick. to go from on Onkyo with the HDMI problem to this two in less than a year and not be able to find a reliable receiver is really upsetting.

any suggestions?
post #10808 of 11079 Old 03-08-2015, 04:15 PM

^^^^
I wouldn't expect issues leaving the receiver on for a few days so long as it is in a well ventilated area. Is it in a well ventilated area? If not consider some cooling fans.
post #10809 of 11079 Old 03-08-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoering View Post
^^^^
I wouldn't expect issues leaving the receiver on for a few days so long as it is in a well ventilated area. Is it in a well ventilated area? If not consider some cooling fans.
yeah, it is well venilated and i have a fan on top of the unit. it may be mere conincidence that it happened this way as the Onkyo was bound to have the HDMI issue at some point in time.

all of my speaker cables are the cables with bananas already on the ends. i'd be surprised if it was a wire problem but i guess it shouldn't be ruled out.

is there anything i can try again before sending this back? it is weird that before it would blink orange when turning itself off and now it just shuts itself off without blinking.
post #10810 of 11079 Old 03-08-2015, 05:14 PM

^^^^
I know JD likes to recommend 4 or 5 hard resets in a row before sending it out for service. Instructions for that (and for backing up your config) are in one of the first few posts in this thread.
post #10811 of 11079 Old 03-08-2015, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I may be posting this in haste - I'm waiting on a 10 minute soft reset - I did a hard reset tonight, finally, and got my Denon setup menu back on screen. I went thru the Audyssey setup, and I have 2 front subs - I thought that I was adjusting my right front sub, or Sub1 - and was having a hard time of getting it into that 75db range, but it took. So Audyssey went to the left sub, or Sub2 - and this is where it gets fuzzy.

It didn't respond, or I thought it was .... but it wasn't getting to the 75db range and sticking. Tried it several times, and gave up .. wasn't seeing that sub at all, apparently. So I did another hard reset - with the subs left on, the separate power amps on the pre-outs left on, and the hd projector left on, and I believe that I pulled the Audyssey mic cord out of the Denon.

Came back to the Audyssey setup, and now it says I have no signal at all from Sub1, which is now the sub on the left - or Sub2 by rear panel connection. I check the sub, wiring and power is all fine.

I'm thinking that something got confused in the Denon setup. Or I confused it somehow. So I'm waiting for the 10 minutes soft reset, but I have a feeling that I'm going to have the same problem with that 2nd sub. Space is tight, and I'm no Houdini, so I'm trying to keep my attack on this problem to the minimum until I can get some young lithe type to get in behind the wall of gear.

Not sure if its the interconnect to the sub, and the subs are 20 years old, Velodynes - rock solid. But ... who knows ? cables and amps in subs go bad. But I'm wondering about this B-Stock Denon x4000.

Any one have any experience with this kind of gremlin ? I'm trying to think - I could get out a sound check dvd and see if there's any signal coming from that left sub, or would the denon get in the way of that ?
post #10812 of 11079 Old 03-08-2015, 07:36 PM

post #10813 of 11079 Old 03-08-2015, 08:22 PM

Yah, just got done messing round with it. Even had to pull out the dusty Joe Kane V.E. disc ... sheesh. I have either a bad connection or cable or ... sub. Went thru the Audyssey and manual setups several times. Doesn't see that left sub, what the Denon erroneously calls the 1st sub, unless that's just a menu thing. I have the left sub hooked to the Sub2 jack.

I did a hard reset about 3 or 4x in a row - hard tri-button push to pull off. I at least got the Audyssey setup to let me adjust the right sub to 75dB. THen set in manual to 1 sub in speaker config.

sigh. I'll try later switching out the cables. The Joe Kane V.E. disc didn't play either sub. I miss the stereo/Fosgate/Citation processor days. Hell, I miss the simpler 5.1 pre-hdmi days, pre-Audyssey days. THo I do love how it sets your sub levels so accurately, well, when the Denon did.
post #10814 of 11079 Old 03-08-2015, 11:41 PM

ok, late night return .. I switched the sub cables ... somehow, somewhere, someone switched the sub cables. Sub 1 on the right was connected to the sub 2 output ..

Anyways, I switched cables - and now I get output from the previously assumed dead left sub. And its already calibrated to 75db. From before. see prior post.

Problem: I can't finish the Audyssey setup, therefore cannot store the settings. But somehow it is remembering my sub level after calibration of it.

2nd Problem: I have gone into the Manual setup menu, and told the Denon that there is but one sub. But when I go back into the Audyssey setup, it now thinks - apparently - that there are 2 subs, and now will not produce any output at all to the so called good sub - the left sub, now working on sub 2 jack, with the switched cable. wtf !! Keeps telling me to retry my sub since it is too low on level. I'm assuming that its because I haven't been able to save the Audyssey calibration.

So I disconnect the Sub1 cable - still no sub 2 output, wtf !! So I know that the sub cables are good, its either the sub output or jack or the processor. But it won't let me run just one sub. wtf. !!

How do I get the Denon to recognize the sub on the left ? it did before I tried the Audyssey setup AFTER switching the sub cables.

Plus, I put Fury BD on. Denon info showed no input signal to the subs, tho the subs showed as Active on the info screen. There is definitely no sub action from this Denon.
post #10815 of 11079 Old 03-09-2015, 05:28 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 3710 Post(s)
Liked: 2181
^^
Audyssey Setup and Manual Setup are two separate and distinct menus such that any changes made in Manual Setup are ignored by Audyssey Setup and vice versa as well, so any change to speakers/sub as far as what is/is not present must be made in Audyssey Setup prior to running the Audyssey EQ process. Suggest you reset the microprocessor again and start Audyssey Setup from scratch. If still no joy, exchange/repair the unit.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call only for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
post #10816 of 11079 Old 03-09-2015, 12:42 PM

^^

I can do that hard reset ... again. I bought the unit from AVScience. Last May.

Thanks for the infos, very useful.
post #10817 of 11079 Old 03-12-2015, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 25
got a weird problem which has only just started happening with my X3000

i have a HTPC connected. When i turn off my tv and the receiver but i keep the pc running, then when i turn the TV and receiver back on, i am getting the picture coming through by no sound at all

i have to reboot my pc to get it working again

any ideas ?
post #10818 of 11079 Old 03-12-2015, 08:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterpack View Post

i have a HTPC connected. When i turn off my tv and the receiver but i keep the pc running, then when i turn the TV and receiver back on, i am getting the picture coming through by no sound at all

any ideas ?
That's probably your PC's fault. Did the video driver update recently? If so, you probably want to roll back to the previous version. AMD/ATI is notorious for breaking things with each new version.

Also check your sound settings on the PC. Turning off Exclusive mode may avoid this apparent handshake issue.
post #10819 of 11079 Old 03-12-2015, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:

any ideas ?

Also try just changing inputs then right back to TV and see if that works

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still [emoji107]
post #10820 of 11079 Old 03-12-2015, 05:03 PM

Quote:

any ideas ?
Take a look at HDMI handshake issue - if no help there post relevant info on your PC, Windows version, HDMI card brand & model. Does the PC recognize your AVR by brand or only as a generic device (you can right click the speaker icon on your desktop and look in playback devices to see)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	playback_devices.png
Views:	37
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	599137  
post #10821 of 11079 Old 03-12-2015, 05:07 PM

^^^
Another thought - you might be able to get the PC to force a HDMI handshake by simply disabling and re-enabling the device from the screen I posted just above instead of a full reboot. Just make sure the show disabled devices line in the right click menu has a check mark in front of it or you will be wondering where it went when you disabled it!
post #10822 of 11079 Old 03-12-2015, 09:57 PM

after a few microprocessor resets it seems one of them took and everything seems to be working as it should again.

with things working good, i finally hooked up two new speakers for a 7.1 setup. can anyone recommend to me what surround sound modes you like to use with a 7.1 setup on the x4000? thanks
post #10823 of 11079 Old 03-13-2015, 12:01 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 25
thanks guys ! yes my PC recognised Denon AVR as the output default sound device

I will try turning off exclusive mode and the other suggestions

cheers
post #10824 of 11079 Old 03-13-2015, 04:14 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipton View Post
after a few microprocessor resets it seems one of them took and everything seems to be working as it should again.

with things working good, i finally hooked up two new speakers for a 7.1 setup. can anyone recommend to me what surround sound modes you like to use with a 7.1 setup on the x4000? thanks
Depends ... did you add Surround Backs, Front Height, or Front Wide speakers? What you end up using is based purely on personal preference.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call only for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
post #10825 of 11079 Old 03-13-2015, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Depends ... did you add Surround Backs, Front Height, or Front Wide speakers? What you end up using is based purely on personal preference.
I added surround backs
post #10826 of 11079 Old 03-13-2015, 04:59 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

What's the recommended height for front high speakers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Samsung 65HU9000; Denon AVR x4000; Klipsch Reference 5.2 -- Panasonic 55 GT31; Denon 2112ci; Sony 2.1
post #10827 of 11079 Old 03-13-2015, 06:10 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsbr View Post
What's the recommended height for front high speakers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If mounted on the front wall, as high as possible up the front wall angled down towards the main listening position.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #10828 of 11079 Old 03-13-2015, 06:11 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipton View Post
I added surround backs
DD PLIIx

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #10829 of 11079 Old 03-13-2015, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I've been toying with the idea of upgrading my receiver. I run a Denon 1713 and Tascam PA-R200. I actually have been happy with the Tascam, but with the lack of decent room eq, I worry I'm missing out. The 1713 has Audyssey XT already, so upgrading to something like the x1100, which I was originally thinking, doesn't get me much of an upgrade. I don't need wifi, bluetooth, 4k, etc. This receiver would be in my main setup, but it's a projector, and 4k will likely never be needed. I can also plug the ethernet in directly, and I use a Chromecast for all my streaming.

I've recently ordered a new Rythmik sub, and now think the next substantial upgrade it seems would be to a receiver with XT32. The x4000 seems to be one of the cheaper options for an XT32 receiver, and that's why I'm here now. How have they performed? Have there been a lot of issues? I saw one forum comment that there were some x4000 issues and a extended warranty would be recommended. Is there anything in the x4100 I gotta have?

I've seen some people get the x4000 for close to $600, that would be ideal, but I don't see any deals like that now, and yes I'm ok with refurbished. I'd appreciate any input on this model or anything else I should be investigating. Is there anything coming to receivers in the next year or so that would warrant holding off on a big purchase like this?
post #10830 of 11079 Old 03-13-2015, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I read back about 15-16 pages of this thread. I'm finally planning on upgrading my 7-year old Pioneer Elite VSX03 - not that it actually serves much as an amplifier, I use Emotiva for that (Sonus Faber Venere front stage, Monitor Audio/Wharfedale dipole surrounds) - but I believe I'm going to grab an X4000 at that $800 price.

All I need, are the amp pre-outs, 5+ HDMI outputs, 3D pass thru, Audyssey XT32 with the Sub Eq - and the ability to complete dim off the front panel (I think it does this lol). No point in grabbing a 2014 unit without HDCP compliance since I do plan in going 4K 2-3 years down the line. I'd rather grab this as a holdover than spend 1K+ on anything with 4k/Atmos.

Anyway, I didn't see that many people with issues so I will take that leap using Crutchfields 60 day policy just in case.

You guys believe there's any difference in using heights since it's just processing? I have a 19' high room that's about 8000 cu ft of open plan loft space (My MCACC on the VSX03 could never solve that problem lol) so I'm curious about adding heights that could possibly in the future become Atmos/DTSX speakers.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , dolby digital plus , netflix 5.1
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page