The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 369 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #11041 of 11067 Old 04-19-2015, 11:01 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3663 Post(s)
Liked: 2166
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgott42 View Post
I tried factory resetting 5x - but still didn't bring back to the original setup options as it was when I got it (again, I'm not asking how to go into setup, but wondering if it truly did a full factory reset if it didn't start in the same way it did when received)

Some good news - I tried using HDMI over Zone 2 - and it worked fine! I know that Zone 2 only has 1 HDMI out - but I'm ok with that. Is there any thing I'm missing if I just use it fully as Zone 2, and ignore the main zone 1?
It did do a factory reset if the front panel display flashed when you pressed the appropriate reset buttons and you held them for at least 4-5 seconds. Otherwise, using only the Zone 2 HDMI Out will limit you to only HDMI sources and then only from the rear panel HDMI inputs. Also, if the Zone 2 HDMI out is connected to a TV, the audio from the main zone surround speakers will be down mixed to 2CH stereo only. Have you tried the 2nd main Zone HDMI output?

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call only for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11042 of 11067 Old 04-19-2015, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
It did do a factory reset if the front panel display flashed when you pressed the appropriate reset buttons and you held them for at least 4-5 seconds. Otherwise, using only the Zone 2 HDMI Out will limit you to only HDMI sources and then only from the rear panel HDMI inputs. Also, if the Zone 2 HDMI out is connected to a TV, the audio from the main zone surround speakers will be down mixed to 2CH stereo only. Have you tried the 2nd main Zone HDMI output?
I checked the 2nd main zone HDMI out - still nada.
I'm OK with only HDMI sources (that's all I have) and using rear panel inputs only. Also - I actually don't have need of separate zones - so it's only being output to one room (HT). So that being the case (before I go back and mount it on the rack) - is there anything (else) I'm missing by using Zone 2 and having it output to my HT room speakers and subs - e.g. does it use all of the same 9.2 speaker setup and Dolby True HD, DTS - HD etc decoding?
thanks for your help (could be saving me $$$$ on repairs)!!
post #11043 of 11067 Old 04-19-2015, 02:33 PM
585-645-1006

^^
As I said .. if you are connecting the Zone 2 HDMI output to a TV, then the signal received by the AVR will only be a 2.0 stereo signal, regardless of whether playing a BD/DVD or not. The AVR would then use DD PLII to simulate 5.1 audio from the stereo signal. Certainly not ideal, but if you want to save repair costs, the best you can do.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call only for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
post #11044 of 11067 Old 04-19-2015, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
^^
As I said .. if you are connecting the Zone 2 HDMI output to a TV, then the signal received by the AVR will only be a 2.0 stereo signal, regardless of whether playing a BD/DVD or not. The AVR would then use DD PLII to simulate 5.1 audio from the stereo signal. Certainly not ideal, but if you want to save repair costs, the best you can do.
Definitelydon't want to limit to simulated 5.1 - I will be outputting the signal to a projector (currently BenQ W6000) - is that considered a TV for this, or will I get full 9.2?
post #11045 of 11067 Old 04-19-2015, 05:01 PM
585-645-1006

^^
If the PJ doesn't have speakers, then likely limited to 2CH or possibly no audio at all in the main zone.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #11046 of 11067 Old 04-20-2015, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Just tried it, and it only offers stereo Looks like it's off to repair...
Update - Just dropped it off at the repair shop.

Last edited by cgott42; 04-20-2015 at 01:43 PM.
post #11047 of 11067 Old 04-20-2015, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Crossover slope?

Does anyone know if Denon uses 2nd order of 4th order crossover slopes for the speakers and subwoofer?

Specifically with an AVR-X4000.
post #11048 of 11067 Old 04-21-2015, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey Guys,

I have a Denon AVR-300 and love it so far, however I have one question.

I want to play 2 channel music through all speakers. If I select the movie preset it moves the music to all the speakers, however most of the sound comes from the centre channel. I love how it sounds when on the music preset, but how to I get similar settings so it plays on all speakers?
post #11049 of 11067 Old 04-22-2015, 04:37 AM
585-645-1006

^^
While the 2CH audio is playing, press the MUSIC button and select MULTI CH STEREO.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #11050 of 11067 Old 04-22-2015, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The firmware number on my X4000 is 5530-8776-1610, is that the latest firmware? When I try to check for an update the connection to the server always fails.

Thanks
post #11051 of 11067 Old 04-23-2015, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1637 Post(s)
Liked: 1893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberslam74 View Post
Does anyone know if Denon uses 2nd order of 4th order crossover slopes for the speakers and subwoofer?

Specifically with an AVR-X4000.
As far as I know almost all consumer AVR's use the THX convention of a 4th order LPF on the sub combined with a 2nd order HPF on the speakers. The idea (at least with THX certified speakers) is that the HPF mates with the natural 2nd order roll-off of the speaker to create matched 4th order slopes on either side.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #11052 of 11067 Old 04-23-2015, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I have a new X4000, setup with 7 Triad Silver LCR's in a 7.1 config. I ran Audyssey on it, it said my front LR speakers were large, and set all the crossovers to 40hz. Triad says the speakers are good to 70hz though, below that is not good.

1. Is Audyssey really that bad it can't figure out the true crossover for speakers?
2. This is a bigger problem in my mind, After running Audyssey I went back into the manual speaker config and set the LR speakers to small, like they should be. Then I set the crossover to 80hz (70 isn't an option). But when I do a frequency test through my HTPC it is still sending <80hz sound to my LR speakers, causing one to make a low flutter (NOT good). I thought if I set the crossover manually after running Audyssey then it wouldn't set those frequencies to those channels? Can I only manually config the speakers if I turn Audyssey completely off?
post #11053 of 11067 Old 04-23-2015, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanosWRX View Post
I have a new X4000, setup with 7 Triad Silver LCR's in a 7.1 config. I ran Audyssey on it, it said my front LR speakers were large, and set all the crossovers to 40hz. Triad says the speakers are good to 70hz though, below that is not good.

1. Is Audyssey really that bad it can't figure out the true crossover for speakers?
2. This is a bigger problem in my mind, After running Audyssey I went back into the manual speaker config and set the LR speakers to small, like they should be. Then I set the crossover to 80hz (70 isn't an option). But when I do a frequency test through my HTPC it is still sending <80hz sound to my LR speakers, causing one to make a low flutter (NOT good). I thought if I set the crossover manually after running Audyssey then it wouldn't set those frequencies to those channels? Can I only manually config the speakers if I turn Audyssey completely off?
You might want to do some reading in the excellent Audyssey FAQ compiled by Keith Barnes, as a lot of these issues are addressed.

1. Audyssey does NOT get to set the crossovers. Receiver manufacturers have refused to give up control of bass management. If Audyssey was allowed to control it they would never set speakers to small if a subwoofer is detected. If you have good subwoofers the recommendation is to do exactly what you did -- manually reset speakers to Small/80Hz after running Audyssey. This provides bass management plus additional headroom for the speakers / amplifiers since the subwoofer(s) doing the dirty work down low.

2. Crossovers are not "brick walls" -- a typical HPF slope on the speaker side is 2nd order (12dB/octave) so setting the xover at 80Hz means the signal is only down 12dB at 40Hz. You might want to experiment with a higher Xover (e.g. 90-100Hz) to shift the slope up a bit, but if only one speaker is making a "flutter" and the others are fine you may want to consider the possibility of a defective driver or something. Can you swap speakers with a different Silver LCR to see if the "flutter" follows the speaker?

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #11054 of 11067 Old 04-23-2015, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
You might want to do some reading in the excellent Audyssey FAQ compiled by Keith Barnes, as a lot of these issues are addressed.

1. Audyssey does NOT get to set the crossovers. Receiver manufacturers have refused to give up control of bass management. If Audyssey was allowed to control it they would never set speakers to small if a subwoofer is detected. If you have good subwoofers the recommendation is to do exactly what you did -- manually reset speakers to Small/80Hz after running Audyssey. This provides bass management plus additional headroom for the speakers / amplifiers since the subwoofer(s) doing the dirty work down low.

2. Crossovers are not "brick walls" -- a typical HPF slope on the speaker side is 2nd order (12dB/octave) so setting the xover at 80Hz means the signal is only down 12dB at 40Hz. You might want to experiment with a higher Xover (e.g. 90-100Hz) to shift the slope up a bit, but if only one speaker is making a "flutter" and the others are fine you may want to consider the possibility of a defective driver or something. Can you swap speakers with a different Silver LCR to see if the "flutter" follows the speaker?
Thanks, been reading over that faq now

So it turns out all the speakers make that slight flutter at 40hz when I listen to the test tone.. so thinking its not the speaker. I tried bumping up the crossover to 90, then 100, then 150, finally 200 is where I no longer heard any flutter. But being up that high makes me wonder what I am loosing from 100-200hz now The flutter is a very soft one, barely noticeable. But I would think you don't want any of that flutter at all coming from your main speakers. Anyone else have this type of issue? The speakers are good quality speakers, Triad Silvers, so not quite sure if this is normal or not.
post #11055 of 11067 Old 04-23-2015, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanosWRX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Thanks, been reading over that faq now

So it turns out all the speakers make that slight flutter at 40hz when I listen to the test tone.. so thinking its not the speaker. I tried bumping up the crossover to 90, then 100, then 150, finally 200 is where I no longer heard any flutter. But being up that high makes me wonder what I am loosing from 100-200hz now The flutter is a very soft one, barely noticeable. But I would think you don't want any of that flutter at all coming from your main speakers. Anyone else have this type of issue? The speakers are good quality speakers, Triad Silvers, so not quite sure if this is normal or not.
I don't think you should be worried. Like I said with an 80hx crossover a 40hz signal would only be down 12db so it's expected to hear SOME output playing a 40hz tone. This is normal and I highly doubt it would be detrimental or dangerous. If it really concerns you go with a 100hz crossover all around which would push down that 40hz range by a few more dB.
post #11056 of 11067 Old Yesterday, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I started to notice the other day. I would select an input like media server or cable and it wouldn't work. I go back the next day and it seems fine. A day later doesn't work again, I can only seem to get my blueray channel to work that's hooked up to the ps4.

Has anyone had issues with it not displaying a input
post #11057 of 11067 Old Yesterday, 06:21 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Is this a remote control issue? Have you tried changing the batteries?

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #11058 of 11067 Old Yesterday, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
^^
Is this a remote control issue? Have you tried changing the batteries?

Hey @jdsm ooth, no its not the remote. I use the receiver nob to change the inputs. I tried it again this morning and it worked.

My guess is it wont work later today. To bad I cant trade this junk in for a Pre/pro.
post #11059 of 11067 Old Yesterday, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Why does it take 15 minutes for the X4000 to generate a 951kb config.dat file? And why is the Save/Load function not found in the web menu, so I have to come to AVS to find it? Seriously.

Other than that...my X4000 is working very well so far.

*Under Construction*
To: AVR-X4000, Chane A3rx-c, Rythmik L12 (2)
Samsung PN64H5000 Recommended Settings
post #11060 of 11067 Old Yesterday, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I need to replace my X4000 power cord, can I use a "regular" 3-prong cable like this, or do I need the 2 prong like this?
Is there any difference?
post #11061 of 11067 Old Yesterday, 06:03 PM

Audyssey on X2000 not detecting psw111

Hi. I hope this is the right place to post this question. I just purchased a Polk PSW111 and hooked it up to my X2000 using the single RCA cable. I've only got front right and left bookshelf Polk speakers hooked up in addition to the sub. When I run Audyssey, I hear the test tones for the right and left speakers. However, it doesn't detect the PSW111. Any ideas? Thanks for your help.
post #11062 of 11067 Old Yesterday, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgott42 View Post
I need to replace my X4000 power cord, can I use a "regular" 3-prong cable like this, or do I need the 2 prong like this?
Is there any difference?
That would work fine. I opted to upgrade, but at that price...go for it!
post #11063 of 11067 Old Today, 12:12 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiedoke View Post
Hi. I hope this is the right place to post this question. I just purchased a Polk PSW111 and hooked it up to my X2000 using the single RCA cable. I've only got front right and left bookshelf Polk speakers hooked up in addition to the sub. When I run Audyssey, I hear the test tones for the right and left speakers. However, it doesn't detect the PSW111. Any ideas? Thanks for your help.
you have the sub plugged into the wrong output on the X2000 because you were leaning over the back of it when you were doing the wiring
This was my problem
post #11064 of 11067 Old Today, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astr0b0y View Post
you have the sub plugged into the wrong output on the X2000 because you were leaning over the back of it when you were doing the wiring
This was my problem
Thanks for the suggestion I manually configured the front speakers to small and crossover to 80Hz. Once I did that, I was able to get sound from the sub. However, if I try Audyssey, it can't find the sub and sets the front speakers back to large.
post #11065 of 11067 Old Today, 12:31 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Pull the cable from the AVR's sub pre-out. Rub your finger over the tip. Hear static from the sub? If yes, could be an issue with the AVR. Try resetting the microprocessor on the sub (see post ##5 of this thread). If no, try a different cable.

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion I manually configured the front speakers to small and crossover to 80Hz. Once I did that, I was able to get sound from the sub. However, if I try Audyssey, it can't find the sub and sets the front speakers back to large.
As long as the AVR cannot detect the sub when you run Audyssey, afterwards, if you manually set the speakers to SMALL/80Hz and the sub to YES, Audyssey will be disabled.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #11066 of 11067 Old Today, 12:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
As long as the AVR cannot detect the sub when you run Audyssey, afterwards, if you manually set the speakers to SMALL/80Hz and the sub to YES, Audyssey will be disabled.
Is the same true if you ran Audyssey with a sub, then set the sub to "none"?
post #11067 of 11067 Old Today, 01:22 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
Is the same true if you ran Audyssey with a sub, then set the sub to "none"?
Nope. Only if you "add" a speaker/sub to the configuration which has not previously been EQ'd. It's okay to remove speakers/sub from the configuration.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , dolby digital plus , netflix 5.1
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page