The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 394 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 415Likes

post #11791 of 12870 Old 11-24-2015, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 380 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15089 Post(s)
Liked: 7280
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
Network standby off: is that the ip control you talk about. If not, where is it? Thanks.
Another question: if my speakers are set to large (I use bass management from my htpc jriver software), can I play stereo music with subs? I only see my 2 speakers playing right now unless I change my bass to lfe+main which I usually set it to lfe. Thanks.
Yes. Network Standby = IP Control

If the FL/FR speakers are set to LARGE, the sub will be silent with 2.0 audio unless you set the Sub to LFE+MAIN (aka "double bass")

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 11-24-2015 at 07:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11792 of 12870 Old 11-24-2015, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked: 1083
^^ thanks JD. I guess it doesn't hurt to have double bass if the source (jriver) that feeds the signal to the Avr had already done bass management.

Last edited by tvuong; 11-24-2015 at 02:58 PM.
post #11793 of 12870 Old 11-24-2015, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Hi all,

Just to throw this out there, concerning the wide variation in the X4000 shutdown occurrences, and the almost complete lack of any explanation why some units appear to be rock solid, while others are problematic.

My Linksys WRT54G wireless router died this last weekend (after 10 years), and I replaced it with a WRT1900AC, which I absolutely adore. I have had zero issues with it, but after some reading, I found that a whole bunch of problems started to pop up after its introduction last year (including shutdowns, random resets, etc). Turns out that the first several batches were problematic, so much so that, after several attempts to mitigate the problems via firmware updates, Linksys decided to significantly alter the hardware and release the WRT1900AC V2. Thing is, the UPC did not change... I guess Linksys fixed the problems under the table, and released the V2 hoping that no one would be the wiser. It was just plain, dumb luck that I got a V2 (people ordering from Amazon have reported that they are still shipping V1's). I wonder if this could also have been the case with the Denon X4k (which does not speak very highly of their business ethics). Wouldn't surprise me...

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

Last edited by Vader424242; 11-24-2015 at 05:41 PM.

post #11794 of 12870 Old 11-25-2015, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader424242 View Post
Hi all,

Just to throw this out there, concerning the wide variation in the X4000 shutdown occurrences, and the almost complete lack of any explanation why some units appear to be rock solid, while others are problematic.

My Linksys WRT54G wireless router died this last weekend (after 10 years), and I replaced it with a WRT1900AC, which I absolutely adore. I have had zero issues with it, but after some reading, I found that a whole bunch of problems started to pop up after its introduction last year (including shutdowns, random resets, etc). Turns out that the first several batches were problematic, so much so that, after several attempts to mitigate the problems via firmware updates, Linksys decided to significantly alter the hardware and release the WRT1900AC V2. Thing is, the UPC did not change... I guess Linksys fixed the problems under the table, and released the V2 hoping that no one would be the wiser. It was just plain, dumb luck that I got a V2 (people ordering from Amazon have reported that they are still shipping V1's). I wonder if this could also have been the case with the Denon X4k (which does not speak very highly of their business ethics). Wouldn't surprise me...
Not likely no. My first X4000 (9/2013) shut down almost immediately; however, the replacement a week later was rock solid with no issues.
Vader424242 likes this.
post #11795 of 12870 Old 11-25-2015, 04:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 219
^^

My x4000 started to have the shutdown issue 6 months after I bought it. I sent it to Panurgy for repairs. Although they told me that they could not duplicate the problems (i.e., they didn't fix anything), the problem was gone when it came back. However, after a long time without any problems, the shutdown issue occurred last night

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1 (also used for music playback in the main system, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910
post #11796 of 12870 Old 11-25-2015, 05:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Not likely no. My first X4000 (9/2013) shut down almost immediately; however, the replacement a week later was rock solid with no issues.
..... just picking at straws... I hate mysteries...

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

post #11797 of 12870 Old 11-25-2015, 06:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Anyone have any ideas on this one?
I have an X1000. I have a turntable/record player that I have to hook up to the TVAudio input. I was using the internal pre-amp on the line in setting and it sounds ok, but I have to turn it up another 10db over anything on the hdmi inputs and it still seems quieter. Just hooked up an external preamp thinking it was that, and nope...still much quieter than other sources.

A movie or tv on -20db is fairly loud. The record player is -10db to -5db and still seems quieter.
post #11798 of 12870 Old 11-25-2015, 06:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Will the X2100W be proficient to power JBL ES80 front speakers?

Also, I'm having trouble finding major differences between the X2100W and X2000.

Mike
post #11799 of 12870 Old 11-25-2015, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Can someone try to save the config file via web viewer? I just tried 2 more times and same result that the file is blank.
Just in case -- be sure that the receiver is not streaming anything at the time. Try turning off the receiver and unplugging it for a couple of minutes to be sure that all streaming, including filling the buffer, has stopped. When turning it back on avoid any of the "Network" sources.

Also try performing the configuration "Save" from a different browser.

---- Dan in Saint Louis
post #11800 of 12870 Old 11-25-2015, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks. There are data when opening with hexeditor. I guess I am ok with the file?
No. The data you see at the top and the left side are addresses -- the contents are all zero.

---- Dan in Saint Louis
post #11801 of 12870 Old 11-25-2015, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in St. Louis View Post
Just in case -- be sure that the receiver is not streaming anything at the time. Try turning off the receiver and unplugging it for a couple of minutes to be sure that all streaming, including filling the buffer, has stopped. When turning it back on avoid any of the "Network" sources.

I will try.
Quote:
No. The data you see at the top and the left side are addresses -- the contents are all zero.
Thanks.
post #11802 of 12870 Old 11-25-2015, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

This did it. Whether it was just unplug the Avr or the combination of that and using google chrome. I did AirPlay a day before. Thanks. What I observe in case someone having similar issue is that:
1. Receiver front panel shows 'saving'. It did not last time.
2. It took a good 7-10 mins to complete the download. It only took less than a minute last time when it showed the save dialogue.

As JD mentioned, it's a good idea to check the file content after saving the config file.

Left side: hexeditor, right side: notepad
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	476.9 KB
ID:	1079618  
post #11803 of 12870 Old 11-25-2015, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need help setting up Karaoke system with x4000.

I have mixer and currently I have attached the mixer RCA to Media Player port of receiver. It is working fine, but not sure if this is the correct setup?

Also the important question, I have is, is there any possibility that my receiver can play multi source at the same time? I mean, I want video from one source and audio from my mixer. Not sure how to handle this. Please advise.
post #11804 of 12870 Old 11-25-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratikgr View Post
Need help setting up Karaoke system with x4000.

I have mixer and currently I have attached the mixer RCA to Media Player port of receiver. It is working fine, but not sure if this is the correct setup?

Also the important question, I have is, is there any possibility that my receiver can play multi source at the same time? I mean, I want video from one source and audio from my mixer. Not sure how to handle this. Please advise.
The Karaoke system can be connected to any input. Although you can't get video and audio from two different HDMI sources, if the HDMI source is video and the audio source is either optical or RCA, then simply assign them to using the same source name and then change the INPUT MODE setting for that source to "Digital" or "Analog" depending on the audio source connection.
post #11805 of 12870 Old 11-25-2015, 03:49 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
The Karaoke system can be connected to any input. Although you can't get video and audio from two different HDMI sources, if the HDMI source is video and the audio source is either optical or RCA, then simply assign them to using the same source name and then change the INPUT MODE setting for that source to "Digital" or "Analog" depending on the audio source connection.
Thanks, I will try since my audio mixer is connected to RCA
post #11806 of 12870 Old 11-25-2015, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
This did it.
Good news is always welcomed.

---- Dan in Saint Louis
post #11807 of 12870 Old 11-25-2015, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratikgr View Post
Yes, check your Owners Manual under the topic "video select."

---- Dan in Saint Louis
post #11808 of 12870 Old 11-26-2015, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Can anyone tell me if they have trouble with their subwoofers on this receiver?

My X1000 is very different from my Denon 1713 when I go to manual level settings. On my old 1713, my subwoofer would have a rumble when I go to the subwoofer level settings. Now I can go up and down but it makes no distinghuishable difference to the sound. I know its not giving an ultra low frequency because I can see my subwoofer moving at a fast rate, but just at a tiny volume. This makes it extremely useless for testing the loudness of the base since moving up and down does nothing. And yes, the subwoofers seem to work find when I actually use it. I've down subwoofer tests on youtube and it plays very clearly in the 15hz range, shaking up my entire room. However, the subwoofer Level adjust menu is giving me nothing.

I use to think it was my new subwoofer but now Ive changed subwoofers and it does the exact same thing. What could be the problem?
post #11809 of 12870 Old 11-27-2015, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlowrie View Post
After upgrading to the Nov 20 firmware, my AVR-X4000 will go into standby and start flashing the red power LED after some random period of time.

Either this is totally a coincidence or there is something goofy with this update. I need to find out if it only happen on the media player input or it happen on other inputs.

Anyone else having the same issue after this update? Any way to downgrade so I can test on the previous version?

Mike
Having this same issue after the Nov 20 update! I really wish I had not updated the unit now. Details in my experience and troubleshooting below!

AVR-X4000 - Updated Nov 21st
Only use 2 amp channels for SB speakers (external 5 ch amp)

1st thing I noticed during update I heard random clicking sounds from inside AVR, I figured it was just boards resetting during update.

Later that evening watching TV (DTV DVR) with my wife and the system just shut off randomly. Went over and looked at AVR and it had a flashing red light. Powered it off and back on and it ran another 10-20 mins and cut off. I turned volume down and we were able to watch remainder of show. (volume was only at 60 originally)

Next few days issue randomly continued, unit seems to be running hotter than before. I was out of town and it happend to my wife again and she just turned system off.

Nov. 25th called Denon, they said the updates are generally feature enhancements and shouldn't cause this issue. Recommended I try are factory reset and disconnecting everything from unit. Started researching online and diagnosing blinking red light. I have had slow blink (heat issue) and fast blink (supposed speaker short)

The next day I did a backup of settings from web interface and did Factory Reset. After reset unit came on and seemed to play OK at normal & high volume. It was in stereo mode at that point. Playing just Pandora with nothing else connected switched to multi channel mode and unit immediately cut off. I disconnected only 2 speaker wires and tried again, the unit still cut off.

Nov 27th - I called Denon back to update my case and they said with the tests I did the only option is to take to service center (1 hour away) or ship to NJ!
I did another factory reset and have the unit playing Pandora in 7.1 mode so far it is running okay. Not sure if I am going to yank this thing out for service yet or see if the FW is causing people issues and fix comes out for the FW. I guess there is a chance this is coincidental but since others are reporting the same issue I am not sure. Also Google shows others with this issue prior to update. Starting to sound like this is a problematic model. Really cant afford to replace unit right now and I am concerned the repair center might not be able to duplicate or simply do a factory reset and think it fixes the issue.... I have a long history with Denon and never had issues like this.

For anyone reading this that has not updated the unit I would hold off and see if others continue to have this issue. For those that do have this issue please call Denon so they can start recognizing the update might be breaking units out there!

Tom
post #11810 of 12870 Old 11-27-2015, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I just updated my unit without seeing all these msgs. Luckily I haven't encountered any issues yet... Fingers crossed.

The new FW didn't fix the AirPlay issue where the receiver doesn't show up as a source randomly unless I unplug receiver and plug in back in to power cycle.
post #11811 of 12870 Old 11-27-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNZone View Post
Can anyone tell me if they have trouble with their subwoofers on this receiver?

My X1000 is very different from my Denon 1713 when I go to manual level settings. On my old 1713, my subwoofer would have a rumble when I go to the subwoofer level settings. Now I can go up and down but it makes no distinghuishable difference to the sound. I know its not giving an ultra low frequency because I can see my subwoofer moving at a fast rate, but just at a tiny volume. This makes it extremely useless for testing the loudness of the base since moving up and down does nothing. And yes, the subwoofers seem to work find when I actually use it. I've down subwoofer tests on youtube and it plays very clearly in the 15hz range, shaking up my entire room. However, the subwoofer Level adjust menu is giving me nothing.

I use to think it was my new subwoofer but now Ive changed subwoofers and it does the exact same thing. What could be the problem?

There is no problem. The newer models now play the test tones based on the Master Volume level, so if you want it louder, you raise the Master Volume up closer to 80/0db.
DNZone likes this.
post #11812 of 12870 Old 11-27-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonixmon View Post
Having this same issue after the Nov 20 update! I really wish I had not updated the unit now. Details in my experience and troubleshooting below!

AVR-X4000 - Updated Nov 21st
Only use 2 amp channels for SB speakers (external 5 ch amp)

1st thing I noticed during update I heard random clicking sounds from inside AVR, I figured it was just boards resetting during update.

Later that evening watching TV (DTV DVR) with my wife and the system just shut off randomly. Went over and looked at AVR and it had a flashing red light. Powered it off and back on and it ran another 10-20 mins and cut off. I turned volume down and we were able to watch remainder of show. (volume was only at 60 originally)

Next few days issue randomly continued, unit seems to be running hotter than before. I was out of town and it happend to my wife again and she just turned system off.

Nov. 25th called Denon, they said the updates are generally feature enhancements and shouldn't cause this issue. Recommended I try are factory reset and disconnecting everything from unit. Started researching online and diagnosing blinking red light. I have had slow blink (heat issue) and fast blink (supposed speaker short)

The next day I did a backup of settings from web interface and did Factory Reset. After reset unit came on and seemed to play OK at normal & high volume. It was in stereo mode at that point. Playing just Pandora with nothing else connected switched to multi channel mode and unit immediately cut off. I disconnected only 2 speaker wires and tried again, the unit still cut off.

Nov 27th - I called Denon back to update my case and they said with the tests I did the only option is to take to service center (1 hour away) or ship to NJ!
I did another factory reset and have the unit playing Pandora in 7.1 mode so far it is running okay. Not sure if I am going to yank this thing out for service yet or see if the FW is causing people issues and fix comes out for the FW. I guess there is a chance this is coincidental but since others are reporting the same issue I am not sure. Also Google shows others with this issue prior to update. Starting to sound like this is a problematic model. Really cant afford to replace unit right now and I am concerned the repair center might not be able to duplicate or simply do a factory reset and think it fixes the issue.... I have a long history with Denon and never had issues like this.

For anyone reading this that has not updated the unit I would hold off and see if others continue to have this issue. For those that do have this issue please call Denon so they can start recognizing the update might be breaking units out there!

Tom

Your current issues not withstanding, the CSR was incorrect in that firmware updates are released primarily to fix known issues.
post #11813 of 12870 Old 11-27-2015, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

I have a problem Id like advice on how to fix.

I had to move my subwoofer which made a cable impossible to run anymore. So I am using the Dayton audio SubLink to make it wireles (http://www.daytonaudio.com/index.php...ubwoofers.html).

This used to work really well on my old pioneer receiver. I recently upgraded to the X4000 and did the Audyssey calibration for my 3.1 setup.

However when I'm watching movies, there is no sound coming from the subwoofer at all. Not sure if I need to do something special due to 3.1 setup or some other setting to adjust.

Any advice appreciated!
post #11814 of 12870 Old 11-27-2015, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Your current issues not withstanding, the CSR was incorrect in that firmware updates are released primarily to fix known issues.
You are correct, working for a company that publishes firmware updates for products I know how the game goes. The CSR's are told to say certain things and not to acknowledge a "known issue" until a fix is available. Occasionally you might get a comment like "we have heard a few complaints similar to yours and we are looking into it" etc. Occasionally updates might include some feature enhancements but usually they wont invest the time unless it fixes bugs.

I will be surprised if the issues I am having are not related to the update, a little to coincidental for me. Hopefully if it is FW related Denon will acknowledge it and work on another update. Makes me wish I had downloaded the previous version though I am not sure the receiver would even allow you to revert FW versions.

My main concern being a semi-intermittent issue (though its fairly easy to reproduce) is the service center not being able to confirm issue or worse not having a solution for it even if they do confirm it. In that case they may have to send it to NJ?

Thanks,

Tom
post #11815 of 12870 Old 11-27-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonixmon View Post
You are correct, working for a company that publishes firmware updates for products I know how the game goes. The CSR's are told to say certain things and not to acknowledge a "known issue" until a fix is available. Occasionally you might get a comment like "we have heard a few complaints similar to yours and we are looking into it" etc. Occasionally updates might include some feature enhancements but usually they wont invest the time unless it fixes bugs.

I will be surprised if the issues I am having are not related to the update, a little to coincidental for me. Hopefully if it is FW related Denon will acknowledge it and work on another update. Makes me wish I had downloaded the previous version though I am not sure the receiver would even allow you to revert FW versions.

My main concern being a semi-intermittent issue (though its fairly easy to reproduce) is the service center not being able to confirm issue or worse not having a solution for it even if they do confirm it. In that case they may have to send it to NJ?

Thanks,

Tom
I have attempted to get info on this as well with as yet no response.
post #11816 of 12870 Old 11-27-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_t1 View Post
I have a problem Id like advice on how to fix.

I had to move my subwoofer which made a cable impossible to run anymore. So I am using the Dayton audio SubLink to make it wireles (http://www.daytonaudio.com/index.php...ubwoofers.html).

This used to work really well on my old pioneer receiver. I recently upgraded to the X4000 and did the Audyssey calibration for my 3.1 setup.

However when I'm watching movies, there is no sound coming from the subwoofer at all. Not sure if I need to do something special due to 3.1 setup or some other setting to adjust.

Any advice appreciated!

Not familiar with your Dayton device, but you may have to keep the sub powered ON instead of AUTO. Did the sub work when you ran Audyssey again? (you did run Audyssey again, right?) What about the sub test tones? Do you hear the sub test tone?
post #11817 of 12870 Old 11-27-2015, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlowrie View Post
After upgrading to the Nov 20 firmware, my AVR-X4000 will go into standby and start flashing the red power LED after some random period of time.
For what it's worth, I got the same issue a few days ago, after the firmware update. Powered the receiver back on and it never shut down again (yet). I was listening at like -40 dB so it sure isn't an overheat problem (my receiver is in an open area to boot).

That being said, I remember this happened before, so I doubt it's specifically because of the last firmware update.

post #11818 of 12870 Old 11-27-2015, 07:30 PM

Quote:
If multiple microprocessor resets have not resolved the issue, warranty repair is your next option. Suggest sending to the factory repair center United Radio, NY for faster turn around service.
Thanks JD. I was going to ship it to the Denon's factory folks, but when I tried to call them, I could never get through (busy signal). I tried calling United Radio and they picked up almost immediately. Receiver is supposed to get there on Tuesday. Crossing my fingers that the issue will be found since I expect that it will work normally after having almost a week of "vacation".

Not to add fuel to the fire, but I had also updated my Denon a few days prior to this issue occurring. On the other hand, this is not the first time that I had seen this behavior. Just the first time that I couldn't fix it.
post #11819 of 12870 Old 11-28-2015, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrhino View Post
Thanks JD. I was going to ship it to the Denon's factory folks, but when I tried to call them, I could never get through (busy signal). I tried calling United Radio and they picked up almost immediately. Receiver is supposed to get there on Tuesday. Crossing my fingers that the issue will be found since I expect that it will work normally after having almost a week of "vacation".

Not to add fuel to the fire, but I had also updated my Denon a few days prior to this issue occurring. On the other hand, this is not the first time that I had seen this behavior. Just the first time that I couldn't fix it.

D+M is moving away from the former Denon factory repair center (Panurgy OEM) and now using United Radio as the factory repair center for both Denon and Marantz.
post #11820 of 12870 Old 11-28-2015, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Not familiar with your Dayton device, but you may have to keep the sub powered ON instead of AUTO. Did the sub work when you ran Audyssey again? (you did run Audyssey again, right?) What about the sub test tones? Do you hear the sub test tone?
I have rerun Audyssey but levels seem so low. It detected my sub as being 25 ft from my when its more like 2ft (it's next to the sofa on my right).

I manually turned the levels up from 8dB to 3db and could definitely hear it.

Oddly I also do hear a clicking/tapping noise periodically when it's firing. Likes its disconnecting and reconnecting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
assistance , dead , Denon , Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , dolby digital plus , netflix 5.1 , receiver , support

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page