The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 421 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 377Likes

post #12601 of 12608 Old 12-06-2016, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpr View Post
Is the Denon that unique in understating what the actual voltage output is of their Zone 2 pre-outs?
As best I can tell from your earlier posts you tested using test tones (sine waves?) and found the clipping point. Since we don't know the actual amplitude of the input source, that doesn't help make a decision about how normal program material will look.

If you are running the Denon volume control up to 96 that is the equivalent of +16dB above the imaginary "reference level." I am usually listening at -30dB, +16dB would be way past painful.

Since you have a scope, look at the preamp outputs of conventional program sources at very loud levels and I doubt that you will see such high voltages.

---- Dan in Saint Louis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12602 of 12608 Old 12-06-2016, 11:38 AM
rpr

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm using Zone 2 in a very large backyard, so I do actually use all available power on a fairly frequent basis up to but not beyond where my equipment starts to clip (92 on a 100 scale).

I listen to a wide variety of music, so I'm sure you're correct that not all music will give me those voltages, but some may even exceed what the test tones are showing because I'm using -5dB tones.

I think my only hope is that I'm somehow not seeing RMS voltage. Otherwise, I have $120 paperweight in this DSP.
post #12603 of 12608 Old 12-06-2016, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpr View Post
I do actually use all available power on a fairly frequent basis up to but not beyond where my equipment starts to clip (92 on a 100 scale).
That suggests the question of why it takes that much signal to drive your power amplifier. If it takes 4VRMS to drive it to the levels you need, nothing you do at the receiver end is going to reduce that requirement.

It is easy enough to build external attenuators right into the RCA cords coming out of the receiver, but if your power amps need all of it...............

---- Dan in Saint Louis
post #12604 of 12608 Old 12-06-2016, 12:18 PM
rpr

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good point, I started to set gains from the AVR and then I adjusted the Crown XLS1002 amps up to the max power ratings of my speakers and subs. I know it's not power that blows speakers its distortion, but that conventional wisdom hasn't worked out too well for me in the past and I wanted to be somewhat conservative this time around.

If I try to start by maxing out the Crown amps with moderate AVR volume, I'm sure I can hit the needed SPL at lower AVR volumes, and then maybe use the 80 limit in the Denon AVR settings to protect from third party use when I'm not paying attention.

This will move the needle in the right direction, but I probably could have done much better with the 2x4 HD miniDSP which has a 4V input sensitivity setting.

Thanks for the feedback.
post #12605 of 12608 Old 12-06-2016, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Is there any problem with using two sets of speaker cables so that I can connect my front mains as part of a 5.2 setup and also as a 2-channel pair for exclusive 2-channel playback in DIRECT or STEREO mode? I would choose 7.1ch/2 ch front in the Assign Mode setting," as directed on pp. 181, 187, 188 in the x4000 manual. The extra pair of cables would be connected to the binding posts for the Front Wide channels, as shown on p. 34.

The goal is to use those fronts in PURE DIRECT mode to play DSD PURE DIRECT without converting it to PCM and without using the subwoofers and having to deal with "double bass," which is what you get when you have subs and you're in PURE DIRECT mode.

Just to be clear, the speakers' jumpers remain in place, so I am not "bi-amping" anything.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K701, Burson HA-160, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910
post #12606 of 12608 Old 12-06-2016, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 3509 Post(s)
Liked: 3344
I wouldn't do it. I'm not sure I understand why you can't just leave it on a normal amp assign and use PURE DIRECT mode for stereo listening?

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #12607 of 12608 Old Today, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Why would my receiver suddenly start shutting down when watching a movie on Apple TV? When bypass the receiver everything is good, tried different inputs and they all make it shut off after about 2 minutes. Nothing has changed on my end Denon X4000
post #12608 of 12608 Old Today, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It appears to do it only when I turn up the volume past 50.0. The source is not the issue, it seems like it is the volume level making the receiver shut off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , dolby digital plus , netflix 5.1
Gear in this thread