The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 425 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 403Likes

post #12721 of 12750 Old 04-14-2017, 03:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 318 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13406 Post(s)
Liked: 6221
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFateDenon View Post
ah, gonna have a look later today
can you do that for every sound mode like PL2 Cinema?
or is more like a general setting

because if i listen to internet radio, the mode is set to stereo, with this mode, all the speakers volumes are the same, like i want...

thnx
Yes, although with the release of the 2014 and newer models, there is now an Option - Channel Level Adjust setting that allows you to adjust the volume of each speaker/sub independently for each source.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12722 of 12750 Old 05-02-2017, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I just added some new gear and quickly set up my equipment in my new house (equipment list below) and am having some sound issues.

JVC X5000
Oppo ubd203 (HDMI OUT to projector, HDMI AUDIO OUT to Denon X4000's "Bluray" Input)
Denon X4000

Issue is, when there is no sound coming from the oppo the receiver seems to kinda disconnect the signal and the display no longer shows the speakers etc.
But then when a sound is played, it takes a second or two and kicks back in to gear, showing the speakers on the display and input signal (dolby digital) again.

quite annoying when flicking through menus and ya dont hear the little beep till about the 3rd or 4th click. then when you stop it turns off again.
may be a simple setting in the denon but i cant find it :/

Any help muchly appreciated

*Edit...

Not sure if it makes any difference, but i also have an nvidia shield connected to the oppo's hdmi in.

Last edited by STAIN0; 05-02-2017 at 05:23 PM.
post #12723 of 12750 Old 05-02-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STAIN0 View Post
I just added some new gear and quickly set up my equipment in my new house (equipment list below) and am having some sound issues.

JVC X5000
Oppo ubd203 (HDMI OUT to projector, HDMI AUDIO OUT to Denon X4000's "Bluray" Input)
Denon X4000

Issue is, when there is no sound coming from the oppo the receiver seems to kinda disconnect the signal and the display no longer shows the speakers etc.
But then when a sound is played, it takes a second or two and kicks back in to gear, showing the speakers on the display and input signal (dolby digital) again.

quite annoying when flicking through menus and ya dont hear the little beep till about the 3rd or 4th click. then when you stop it turns off again.

*Edit...

Not sure if it makes any difference, but i also have an nvidia shield connected to the oppo's hdmi in.
Try using each of the other HDMI inputs on the X4000 to see if one works better than the current one.
STAIN0 likes this.

post #12724 of 12750 Old 05-02-2017, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Try using each of the other HDMI inputs on the X4000 to see if one works better than the current one.
yer will give that a go tonight.
have read a bit about handshaking issues and powering on order. Had never heard powering on in the wrong order can cause issues.
post #12725 of 12750 Old 05-03-2017, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 270
I have one or two of my HDMI's that just don't work. Or not well. And going to another one fixed the issue.

Kinda angers me that I paid that much for something that I have to find "workarounds" for, but I really only need 3 or 4 inputs. And I got a good deal on it :
post #12726 of 12750 Old 05-04-2017, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by STAIN0 View Post

JVC X5000
Denon X4000

*Edit...

I had the same problem. 2 solutions. 1st in oppo video output set to custom (UHD 24 HZ). or 2nd take the output from oppo directly to another HDMI input on tv and take the audio oppo output to where you had the oppo connect on avr, and it also solves problem with SACD play back. you do not have change the oppo video output this way. both worked for me. its the 1.4 hdmi on denon with the problem.
STAIN0 likes this.

Last edited by bill288; 05-04-2017 at 02:16 PM.
post #12727 of 12750 Old 05-21-2017, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1703 Post(s)
Liked: 1380
Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post
So I've had my Denon 4000 for about 3 months now... aaaand I just last night learned how to toggle through the surround modes. (just in case i'm not the only doofus out there, you have to hold down the sound modes buttons, not just press them)
I just installed a X4000 in my den and I couldn't figure this out for the life of me! I have the Marantz AV7702mkII and assumed they would operate the same.

Thanks for the help… 3 years later!👍
Squirrel! likes this.
post #12728 of 12750 Old Yesterday, 01:40 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question [Help] Did my Denon receiver just die? I'm scared

Hello,

I've been a longtime lurker of the AVS forums and many threads here have been of great assistance to me - especially those by batpig, since I own a Denon receiver.

Now, I'm in desperate need of some help, because, apparently, my receiver just died.

What you should know:

• Purchased a brand new Denon AVR-X2000 in late August of 2013;
  • Connected the receiver to a brand new set of JBL speakers using brand new speaker wires and Monster QuickLock MKII Gold Flex Pin Connectors;
  • Plugged the receiver into a Monster GreenPower Digital PowerCenter MDP 800 and plugged that into a grounded wall outlet (like every wall outlet in my then relatively new apartment - of 5 years);
  • The receiver has always had ample ventilation room in the top and back and no problems with temperature;
  • The receiver had been working flawlessly up until a few minutes ago, and never experienced any hardware or software failure until then (it was constantly updated to the most recent firmware via Ethernet cable).

What happened:

• I had just turned on the receiver, my TV and an nVidia Shield TV to watch some Hulu, using a Logitech Harmony Hub and Smart Remote;
  • Because of that, the device was at idle temperatures (very low, considering I'm in Brazil and we're approaching Winter here);
  • After a few minutes (no longer than 5), I heard a loud pop and the receiver turned itself off. The front panel LED started blinking red;
  • Nothing "strange" was going on at the time: no thunderstorms, no blackouts. All other devices kept working just fine;
  • After the initial shock, I turned off all devices (including the receiver - LED was off), waited a couple more minutes and turned them back on again;
  • The receiver turned on normally (constant green light) but soon after that, I heard a "bzzt" noise coming from it and a tiny poof of smoke emerged from the top part. The LED reverted to blinking red;
  • I immediately turned everything off again and I'm now scared to even try to turn the receiver back on.

I googled the issue and came across a few posts mentioning that I should unplug all audio cables and test the speaker wires by turning on the receiver with one cable connected at a time, but considering I literally saw smoke coming out from the device, I'm afraid to even turn it on again - cables or no cables.

So, what do you guys think? Is it dead? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by EeK9X; Yesterday at 01:43 AM.
post #12729 of 12750 Old Yesterday, 02:12 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Sorry to hear of your problem. I would not plug in that Denon again either. Four years is a short life, but your receiver may be toast. The only way to be sure is to take it to a repair shop for an estimate. If it just needs a new power supply, it might be worth repairing. I would shop for a new one.

Sony 65"A1E, Marantz 7005 Pre, Rotel 5ch X 120w, Axiom & HSU sub.
post #12730 of 12750 Old Yesterday, 03:13 AM

You're going to have to turn it on again to troubleshoot, but first unplug all cables including speaker wire and source cables. If the unit still powers off ... it's likely toast. Before calling it quits, you can try doing a few microprocessor resets as listed in post 5 of the Denon 2013 AVR Owner's thread linked below ...

The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ
post #12731 of 12750 Old Yesterday, 04:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm having an issue with my X2000. Two nights ago everything was working perfectly and wonderfully like always, then yesterday morning when I tried to turn it on I got nothing. Upon close inspection I noticed the standby light wasn't on anymore, no lights at all. So I unplugged it and plugged it back in hoping that would fix everything. It didn't. So I then unplugged all my speakers and inputs and tried plugging it back in again that way. Still dead.

Am I hopefully just doing something stupid and missing something? Any other suggestions?
post #12732 of 12750 Old Yesterday, 05:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Probably a power surge popped an internal fuse. Have you checked the outlet for power?

Main: Mitsubishi 73736 DLP|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|2 - DIY Class G 540w 12" Subs|2 Aura Bass Shakers|APC H15|Harmony 720|TP-Link Archer C7|Linksys SE2500|50+ OTA Channels

MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTVstick 2|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Phantom|Dayton Audio SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin PF30|Belkin Bridge|Harmony 550
post #12733 of 12750 Old Yesterday, 05:57 AM

Yeah, I tried a couple different outlets, even on different breakers just because. So should I pop it open and check on fuses?
post #12734 of 12750 Old Yesterday, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Not in warranty anymore. Might as well.

Main: Mitsubishi 73736 DLP|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|2 - DIY Class G 540w 12" Subs|2 Aura Bass Shakers|APC H15|Harmony 720|TP-Link Archer C7|Linksys SE2500|50+ OTA Channels

MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTVstick 2|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Phantom|Dayton Audio SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin PF30|Belkin Bridge|Harmony 550
post #12735 of 12750 Old Yesterday, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermar View Post
Sorry to hear of your problem. I would not plug in that Denon again either. Four years is a short life, but your receiver may be toast. The only way to be sure is to take it to a repair shop for an estimate. If it just needs a new power supply, it might be worth repairing. I would shop for a new one.
Quote:
You're going to have to turn it on again to troubleshoot, but first unplug all cables including speaker wire and source cables. If the unit still powers off ... it's likely toast. Before calling it quits, you can try doing a few microprocessor resets as listed in post 5 of the Denon 2013 AVR Owner's thread linked below ...

The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ
Hi, jermar and jdsmoothie,

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried unplugging all cables and plugging the receiver into a different outlet, using a different surge protector.

Immediately after plugging it into the outlet, without even turning it on, a lot more smoke came out from the bottom left part of the device (when looking at it from the front and above) and the red LED started blinking. The smoke would only stop after I unplugged it from the outlet.

So, I guess it's really toast? What kind of repair costs can I expect from such a failure?

I've already started shopping for a new receiver (the X3300W), but I gotta say I'm somewhat disappointed with Denon, not to say a little traumatized. I take care of my devices, and to see this happen without reason is very frustrating. Would you still recommend that brand after my experience?
post #12736 of 12750 Old Yesterday, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 206
If there is any good news about an x2000 emitting a puff of smoke, it may be that although it IS toast, now it can MAKE toast.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1 (also used for music playback in the main system, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910
post #12737 of 12750 Old Yesterday, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
If there is any good news about an x2000 emitting a puff of smoke, it may be that although it IS toast, now it can MAKE toast.
I guess every manufacturer has products that go bad early from time to time. It kinda stinks but on the bright side of my crazy mind I'd be thinking "yeah I get a new receiver now"! That's how this nutty mind works of mine.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #12738 of 12750 Old Yesterday, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
I guess every manufacturer has products that go bad early from time to time. It kinda stinks but on the bright side of my crazy mind I'd be thinking "yeah I get a new receiver now"! That's how this nutty mind works of mine.

Oh boy ... it's Atmos time!
post #12739 of 12750 Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Oh boy ... it's Atmos time!
Now for the first time since I've been in this hobby I have no interest in Atmos or DTS-X. In fact I'm only doing 5.1, a long time ago I did 7.1 but I have no need for that either. A simple 5.1 started I'm running and it's a pleasure.

post #12740 of 12750 Old Yesterday, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Now for the first time since I've been in this hobby I have no interest in Atmos or DTS-X. In fact I'm only doing 5.1, a long time ago I did 7.1 but I have no need for that either. A simple 5.1 started I'm running and it's a pleasure.

Adding 2 or 4 "height" speakers would increase that pleasure.
post #12741 of 12750 Old Yesterday, 03:49 PM

And more drain on my wallet. 😀

post #12742 of 12750 Old Yesterday, 04:02 PM

Quote:
And more drain on my wallet. 😀

Just by entering this forum .. that's a given.
post #12743 of 12750 Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Just by entering this forum .. that's a given.
Yeah it is. This is a fun hobby but expensive.

post #12744 of 12750 Old Today, 03:26 AM

After taking mine apart and checking everything out I decided it's time for a new one. Here comes a S920W.
post #12745 of 12750 Old Today, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skmastaz View Post
After taking mine apart and checking everything out I decided it's time for a new one. Here comes a S920W.
Might want to consider the just released S930H with the built-in HEOS module which allows streaming one of currently 13 different music services to the AVR.

"OFFICIAL" 2017 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-8)
post #12746 of 12750 Old Today, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Might want to consider the just released S930H with the built-in HEOS module which allows streaming one of currently 13 different music services to the AVR.

"OFFICIAL" 2017 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-8)
I did consider the 930, but the HEOS stuff doesn't really appeal to me, also amazon had 920 refurbs for $400. Couldn't pass that up.
post #12747 of 12750 Old Today, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I tried searching through this thread, didnt find an answer but maybe im missing something. I have an AVR X2000, I have several devices connected via hdmi that i like to use both surround at times and just the tv speakers at times. I use an Mx-880 remote to control everything but the amazon fire stick, since its bluetooth. My question is are there descrete codes to switch inputs when the receiver is in standby without turning the receiver on ? Plus I have it set up to switch to the cable/sat input when shutting down so the wife can use the directv remote to watch her shows.

TV - LG 60LA7400
RECEIVER - DENON AVR X2000
BLURAY - SONY BDP-S790 - HDDVD - TOSHIBA HD-A30
WDTV LIVE HUB - DIRECTV DVR - XBOX 360
SURROUND SPEAKERS - KLIPSCH QUINTET iii
SUB - CERWIN VEGA HT 8
post #12748 of 12750 Old Today, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blr5150 View Post
I tried searching through this thread, didnt find an answer but maybe im missing something. I have an AVR X2000, I have several devices connected via hdmi that i like to use both surround at times and just the tv speakers at times. I use an Mx-880 remote to control everything but the amazon fire stick, since its bluetooth. My question is are there descrete codes to switch inputs when the receiver is in standby without turning the receiver on ? Plus I have it set up to switch to the cable/sat input when shutting down so the wife can use the directv remote to watch her shows.
Not on the 2013 models, no. This feature was only first introduced with the release of the 2016 models; however, you can set it up to select either the "LAST" source used or a specific HDMI source every time (eg. CBL/SAT).
post #12749 of 12750 Old Today, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Not on the 2013 models, no. This feature was only first introduced with the release of the 2016 models; however, you can set it up to select either the "LAST" source used or a specific HDMI source every time (eg. CBL/SAT).
Thanks JD. I thought so, was just trying to get all my activities working Thought it would simplify my programming if if switching could be done without having to turn the receiver back off to use the tv speakers. Thanks for reminding me about the specific input when in standby for passthrough setting.

TV - LG 60LA7400
SUB - CERWIN VEGA HT 8
post #12750 of 12750 Old Today, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blr5150 View Post
Thanks JD. I thought so, was just trying to get all my activities working Thought it would simplify my programming if if switching could be done without having to turn the receiver back off to use the tv speakers. Thanks for reminding me about the specific input when in standby for passthrough setting.
Love this receiver by the way. It has been pretty much trouble free. Will look into upgrading sometime in the future. I will stick with the Denon brand. Had a Yamaha before. Liked it but prefer the audissey sound setup over yamahas.

TV - LG 60LA7400
SUB - CERWIN VEGA HT 8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
assistance , dead , Denon , Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , dolby digital plus , netflix 5.1 , receiver , support

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page