The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 429 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 415Likes

post #12841 of 12870 Old 09-05-2017, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Universal remotes are known to do this so you would have to reprogram it to only power on the Main zone as one activity and only power on Zone 2 as another activity.
The setup for the remote says it is leaving everything else off but clearly that is not the case. I need more guidance, specifically, how do I turn on the AVR without turning on main (or, it turns out, zone 2)?

As an experiment I tried turning on the Zone 2 TV without activating the AVR. Then I turned on the Genie/AVR/TV setup in the media rom and discovered the zone 2 TV also received a signal. This is less of an issue since I get sound from the TV but I really don't want that on either.

Clearly this is worse than I thought. I need to figure out what commands only turn Main and only turn Zone 2 on, but not both. I hadn't noticed the zone 2 issue because the TV is normally off. I only noticed main because the surround sound system was activated while the TV was off.

I did discover I can turn zone 2 on and off on the AVR itself, but I don't know the remote command to do that. AFAIK you can't do that with main, but there must be a way.

The Harmony 880 seems to do the right thing with respect to the source (Genie, DVD or AirPlay) and the destination (turning the two TVs on or off) but not selecting the correct modes for the AVR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12842 of 12870 Old 09-05-2017, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 378 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15054 Post(s)
Liked: 7263
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbpeirce View Post
The setup for the remote says it is leaving everything else off but clearly that is not the case. I need more guidance, specifically, how do I turn on the AVR without turning on main (or, it turns out, zone 2)?

As an experiment I tried turning on the Zone 2 TV without activating the AVR. Then I turned on the Genie/AVR/TV setup in the media rom and discovered the zone 2 TV also received a signal. This is less of an issue since I get sound from the TV but I really don't want that on either.

Clearly this is worse than I thought. I need to figure out what commands only turn Main and only turn Zone 2 on, but not both. I hadn't noticed the zone 2 issue because the TV is normally off. I only noticed main because the surround sound system was activated while the TV was off.

I did discover I can turn zone 2 on and off on the AVR itself, but I don't know the remote command to do that. AFAIK you can't do that with main, but there must be a way.

The Harmony 880 seems to do the right thing with respect to the source (Genie, DVD or AirPlay) and the destination (turning the two TVs on or off) but not selecting the correct modes for the AVR.
Please read my previously edited post.
post #12843 of 12870 Old 09-05-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Please read my previously edited post.
I did. I saw I could manually turn main and zone 2 on and off by pressing the correct buttons on the AVR, but I can't figure out how to make the remote do that.

I posted a similar question on the remote forum, but so far you are the only one offering any advice.

post #12844 of 12870 Old 09-05-2017, 01:07 PM

It is a timing issue. I just need to figure out by how much to separate the commands. Main isn't an issue because the TV in zone 2 is normally off. In zone 2 I need to turn the AVR on and then turn main off. With enough delay this works. I currently am probably using too much but it gets the job done.
post #12845 of 12870 Old 09-05-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
I did. I saw I could manually turn main and zone 2 on and off by pressing the correct buttons on the AVR, but I can't figure out how to make the remote do that.

I posted a similar question on the remote forum, but so far you are the only one offering any advice.
My post refers to using the remote, not the front panel.
post #12846 of 12870 Old 09-05-2017, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 2257 Post(s)
Liked: 985
There are many ways to do this on a universal. If Main turns on, you're using the wrong power command.

Denon has the following power related discrete commands:

Power (power toggle for Main)
Main On
Main Off
All Power On/Off
All Power On
All Power Off
Zone X Power (power toggle for Zone X)
Zone X On
Zone X Off (where X is Zone number for each zone)

However, each discrete input command (DVD, CblSat, Blu-ray, etc.) for Main and for each Zone also acts as a discrete on.

So the simplest approach is to not send any power commands at all but just send the discrete input command for a specific Zone or Main. In my macros I use the input commands for ON and All Power Off for turning the entire unit off. This approach may not be feasible on Harmony since you have very limited control over the content of the activity macros.

Generally, you want to avoid using Power toggle commands in macros. Rather use the On or Off commands and discrete input commands since they will consistently perform the desired function for the desired zone no matter what state the AVR is already in.

If your Harmony does not have all of the above commands, I can post the pronto hex which you can then email to logitech to add to your remote.

Then I recommend you make Main and each zone as entirely different devices, and when configuring power options, select that each has seperate commands for on and for off. Then your activities will send the appropriate power commands just for the desired zone. The AVR will not power down entirely until the activity for the main zone is run or until you send the All Power Off command in device mode or perhaps another Master Off activity.

Last edited by mdavej; 09-05-2017 at 05:36 PM.
post #12847 of 12870 Old 09-05-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
My post refers to using the remote, not the front panel.
I understand, but I am trying to set up a Harmony remote to control everything.
post #12848 of 12870 Old 09-05-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
I understand, but I am trying to set up a Harmony remote to control everything.
It's useful to know which remote commands give the desired results so you can replicate on Harmony. Knowing that pressing Zone 2 then Power sends the zone 2 power command as desired is exactly what you were looking for. If you aren't interested in my codes, then you can simply learn the appropriate codes from your Denon remote.
post #12849 of 12870 Old 09-05-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
It's useful to know which remote commands give the desired results so you can replicate on Harmony. Knowing that pressing Zone 2 then Power sends the zone 2 power command as desired is exactly what you were looking for. If you aren't interested in my codes, then you can simply learn the appropriate codes from your Denon remote.
I'll say thank you for the OP for supplying an alternative to my "manual" approach to having the Harmony remote learn the command from the Denon remote.
post #12850 of 12870 Old 09-06-2017, 06:17 AM

Quote:
True. Thank you. If the codes aren't already there I can always train the Harmony remote from the Denon remote. I forgot that option.
post #12851 of 12870 Old 09-12-2017, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Help! Tried searching to no avail. I've somehow gotten my X4000 into an "Installer Locked" / "Web Lock is on" state. All the menus are grayed out and I get the Web Lock is On statement if I select them. And, when I log in via the web interface, I see "Installer Locked!" (see photo).

I think I may have done this today while using the DeRemote app on my iPhone. I dropped it and maybe it enabled the lock somehow? I'm trying to avoid a Reset to solve this -- help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg denon.jpg (45.7 KB, 20 views)

LSA One Monitors, LSA LCR Center, LSA On Wall surrounds, dual Hsu VTF-3 subs, Denon AVR-X4000, Adcom GFA-6000 amp, UTurn Orbit turntable, Samsung UN75HU8550
post #12852 of 12870 Old 09-12-2017, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

On the receiver menu itself:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0598.JPG (1.97 MB, 19 views)

LSA One Monitors, LSA LCR Center, LSA On Wall surrounds, dual Hsu VTF-3 subs, Denon AVR-X4000, Adcom GFA-6000 amp, UTurn Orbit turntable, Samsung UN75HU8550
post #12853 of 12870 Old 09-12-2017, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_rider View Post
Help! Tried searching to no avail. I've somehow gotten my X4000 into an "Installer Locked" / "Web Lock is on" state. All the menus are grayed out and I get the Web Lock is On statement if I select them. And, when I log in via the web interface, I see "Installer Locked!" (see photo).

I think I may have done this today while using the DeRemote app on my iPhone. I dropped it and maybe it enabled the lock somehow? I'm trying to avoid a Reset to solve this -- help!
Hi pg_rider, I don't use DeRemote app but check if the app has a setting to hide panel/lock tabs or setting like my controls.
post #12854 of 12870 Old 09-13-2017, 03:10 AM

Quote:

I'll do some checking on this, but a reset may be your best option.
post #12855 of 12870 Old 09-13-2017, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'll do some checking on this, but a reset may be your best option.
Thank you! But crap -- does this mean you've never seen this configuration behavior before? lol

post #12856 of 12870 Old 09-13-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Thank you! But crap -- does this mean you've never seen this configuration behavior before? lol
I just checked with an installer friend of mine and he said he's never seen it before. Just do a reset.
post #12857 of 12870 Old 09-16-2017, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
I just checked with an installer friend of mine and he said he's never seen it before. Just do a reset.
I just bought 3300w receiver, and apparently when i press power button on remote, I cant completely turn off the receiver....seems like zone 2 is still on? I am so frustrated with this receiver now......I will send it back if I dont resolve this.....
On screen of the receiver it says main zone off, zone two on.....I dont want this freaking receiver the use electricity when I turn the power off, what kind of bs is this?
post #12858 of 12870 Old 09-16-2017, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
ok figured it out, you have to press zone 2 on remote and than turn off on remote button,,,,very weird...who needs these zones anyway....not gonna give my grandma freaking amp signal...
post #12859 of 12870 Old 09-17-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paridparid View Post
I just bought 3300w receiver, and apparently when i press power button on remote, I cant completely turn off the receiver....seems like zone 2 is still on? I am so frustrated with this receiver now......I will send it back if I dont resolve this.....
On screen of the receiver it says main zone off, zone two on.....I dont want this freaking receiver the use electricity when I turn the power off, what kind of bs is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by paridparid View Post
ok figured it out, you have to press zone 2 on remote and than turn off on remote button,,,,very weird...who needs these zones anyway....not gonna give my grandma freaking amp signal...
If you rarely (never) use Zone 2, you can disable it from the remote. Refer to p. 228 of the Owner's manual.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	83
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	2284144  
DoctorM likes this.
post #12860 of 12870 Old 09-18-2017, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all, I need a little confirm on zone 2 for my x4000.
I'm setting up a 5.1 zone 1 for a projector and, in the same room, I'd like to set up a 2.0 zone 2 for TV (i.e.: I don't want to fire up the pj just to see a movie).
Zone 1 and 2 will never work together... can you guys please confirm that this is possible?

Thank you for your help
Francesco
post #12861 of 12870 Old 09-18-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco Villa View Post
Hi all, I need a little confirm on zone 2 for my x4000.
I'm setting up a 5.1 zone 1 for a projector and, in the same room, I'd like to set up a 2.0 zone 2 for TV (i.e.: I don't want to fire up the pj just to see a movie).
Zone 1 and 2 will never work together... can you guys please confirm that this is possible?

Thank you for your help
Francesco
Yup. Connect the Zone 2 HDMI output to the TV.
post #12862 of 12870 Old 09-18-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Yup. Connect the Zone 2 HDMI output to the TV.
...and use two of the assignable speaker outputs for zone 2 speakers, right?
post #12863 of 12870 Old 09-18-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Correct. Note however, that in order to pass the HDMI source audio to the Zone 2 speakers, the source must be stereo 2.0.
post #12864 of 12870 Old 09-18-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Correct. Note however, that in order to pass the HDMI source audio to the Zone 2 speakers, the source must be stereo 2.0.
Mmmmh, this is very annoying. No workarounds here? Manual switch in the setup menu for each source, every time?
post #12865 of 12870 Old 09-18-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Mmmmh, this is very annoying. No workarounds here? Manual switch in the setup menu for each source, every time?
Denon has a gazillion discrete codes for everything. I just send the appropriate command from my universal remote, no digging into the menus required.
post #12866 of 12870 Old 09-20-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Denon has a gazillion discrete codes for everything. I just send the appropriate command from my universal remote, no digging into the menus required.
Thank you so far.
And if I had a stereo amp? Will zone 2 downmix to stereo if I use RCA pre outs?
post #12867 of 12870 Old 09-20-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Thank you so far.
And if I had a stereo amp? Will zone 2 downmix to stereo if I use RCA pre outs?
As stated previously, the source must be 2CH.
post #12868 of 12870 Old 09-20-2017, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
I have to shake my head any time I hear of someone trying to use zones. They just don't ever work in a spouse/family-friendly kind of way.

People try to jump through all kinds of hoops to make it work... and it almost never does. I know there's a few edge cases where it does just enough for some folks, but most folks have overly optimistic hopes for it... and they're almost always disappointed. Hate to sound negative, but it's a sad truth.

That and only a few of the AVRs ever have the internal circuitry/logic necessary to handle transcoding from different sources (as in, 5ch down-mixed to 2ch and the like).
post #12869 of 12870 Old 09-20-2017, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
I have to shake my head any time I hear of someone trying to use zones. They just don't ever work in a spouse/family-friendly kind of way.

People try to jump through all kinds of hoops to make it work... and it almost never does. I know there's a few edge cases where it does just enough for some folks, but most folks have overly optimistic hopes for it... and they're almost always disappointed. Hate to sound negative, but it's a sad truth.

That and only a few of the AVRs ever have the internal circuitry/logic necessary to handle transcoding from different sources (as in, 5ch down-mixed to 2ch and the like).
The value of multi-zone really comes down to what you want to do in the additional zones. For me, Zone 2 is a pair of speakers on my back patio. I pretty much only use Zone 2 to stream music from my server and it works like a charm. I guess with wireless speakers like the Denon HEOS system, I probably wouldn't need a Zone 2 these days, but it was fantastic when I set it up four years ago.

I have occasionally hauled out a small TV onto my patio to watch some sporting event and had to tweak my cablebox settings to deliver 2-channel stereo. Not really difficult, but certainly not very user-friendly either. Not something that my wife, who isn't interested in the nitty gritty of our AV system, would know how to do.
wkearney99 likes this.
post #12870 of 12870 Old 09-20-2017, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhachey View Post
Not something that my wife, who isn't interested in the nitty gritty of our AV system, would know how to do.
Amen to that. The WAF (wife acceptance factor) should not be ignored when attempting to implement AV solutions.

For the back yard music I went with a Sonos Connect:AMP and their remotes. Made it brain-dead simple to use. Unfortunately we've since moved to using Amazon Echo devices everywhere and there's no "good" solution for that just yet. There's "ways" but none quite perfected yet...

Although, voice control could be the savior of overly complicated AVR matrix setups.... Haven't revisited the idea lately, could be worth another look...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
assistance , dead , Denon , Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , dolby digital plus , netflix 5.1 , receiver , support

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page