The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 79 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2341 of 9448 Old 09-06-2013, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

Thanks. Is it something I should do right away or can I wait until I go to bed? Can I just leave it to download? Will it shut itself off afterwards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi ambesolman, I had this same question when I first got my X4000. Feel free to do it at your convenience.

Curious what is your current firmware?
Still getting it wired up, will have to get back to you on that. Any answers to my other questions? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 9448 Old 09-06-2013, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I set mine up and ran Audyssey then did the fw update when I went to bed. I don't think it shut off but I tend to leave things on for extended periods the first couple weeks hoping that if it is going to break it does so while I can still return it.
post #2343 of 9448 Old 09-07-2013, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, they finally got the X4000 back in stock at Best Buy so i packed it all up and swapped it out. Went through the new setup, downloaded firmware, and set it to 5.1/zone 2 and set zone 2 to PCM. Outcome is.. the same. No audio in either zone in both all channel stereo or by selecting a DD/DTS output on zone 2 whether zone 1 is on or not zone 2 fails to get audio. This tells me that my sources are not capable of setting themselves to pcm 2.0. I figured this was the case with my HTPC so in order to get sound to zone 2 I have to configure my software to pcm instead of bitstream manually which isnt an option. I am dissapointed that Comcast X1 will not do this automatically. My main reason for upgrading was to reduce cables and make this all more convinient which this has obviously not done. i have actually lost functionality with the X4000. I am going to call Denon one more time but I think i am going to take this back and try a yamaha. if that still does the same thing i am just going to wait a few more years and use my old Onkyo until digital to zone 2 is worked out better. Not sure what else to do.
post #2344 of 9448 Old 09-07-2013, 06:51 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1825 Post(s)
Liked: 1716
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawtyger View Post

So, I'm exactly 48 hours into X4000 ownership, my wife and I turn the unit on to watch nightly news and in about 10 minutes hear this crackling from the kitchen. Turns out it is the X4000 so I shut it off. Turned it back on and in a few minutes it starts again.

This isn't one of those highs that Audyssey is allowing me to hear that my Yamaha did not, just kidding.

Seriously, a bit concerned. I took a video of it and posted on my YouTube account here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOrT-D_xo88

You'll start to hear the crackle 15 seconds in, it gets louder, continues when I change inputs to tuner and remains when I go back to cable.

I've since turn the receiver off and back on a couple times and it starts again although It has been on for about 15 straight minutes now with no problems.

No sign of this issue Wednesday night or all day yesterday when I was setting the receiver up and enjoying it

Any thoughts in what this noise is and what may be causing it?

Update as added info - the noise comes from all 5 speakers and doesn't go away when I cycle through sound modes.

Further update - About 45 minutes passed, walked outside to put some home for sale flyers in the tube hanging from the for sale sign of the house and I came back in to static. I'm not sure I can walk to far away from the receiver if this keeps occurring. Once it crackles it continues to crackle unless volume is turned all the way to zero. My wife who walked back in with me asked me "So why did you decide to get Denon this time and not just get another Yamaha." Time for a unit reset I guess which I assume means I have to run Audyssey all over again.

This issue is more likely indicative of a defective unit. frown.gif Note however, that you can SAVE the Audyssey setup to a config.dat file on a PC so you don't have to run Audyssey again after a microprocessor reset.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465528/the-official-2013-denon-e-series-x-series-avr-model-owners-thread-faq/0_100#user_E9

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #2345 of 9448 Old 09-07-2013, 06:54 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

Thanks. Is it something I should do right away or can I wait until I go to bed? Can I just leave it to download? Will it shut itself off afterwards?

There's no immediate need to update the firmware although worth doing at some point to ensure the unit can update without any issues. You can review post #6 of this thread to determine if any of the "fixes" are something you might want to immediately correct in your setup.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #2346 of 9448 Old 09-07-2013, 06:56 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by scientifix View Post

I have the X2000 which I got about 2 weeks back. It's been working flawlessly, but yesterday when I was watching Cable the AVR on its own switched to TV input. I thought this must be something to do with ARC but I have only connected the optical TOSlink from TV to my AVR and assigned it to TV input. But today the AVR suddenly switched to AUX input and I have nothing connected to that. Anyone has seen this issue - I haven't done any software update after I got it, I haven't even connected the AVR to any network.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465528/the-official-2013-denon-e-series-x-series-avr-model-owners-thread-faq/0_100#user_L3

post #2347 of 9448 Old 09-07-2013, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

This issue is more likely indicative of a defective unit. frown.gif Note however, that you can SAVE the Audyssey setup to a config.dat file on a PC so you don't have to run Audyssey again after a microprocessor reset.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465528/the-official-2013-denon-e-series-x-series-avr-model-owners-thread-faq/0_100#user_E9

Thanks for chiming in on this issue - I hope this isn't a defective unit, I've been very fortunate avoiding those with past purchases. The issue continued through the night. I would turn the unit off and back on but the crackle in the video came back with 5 minutes or so. I did a microprocessor reset one time but that did not fix the issue.

Then, I went through the manual and saw the soft reset process of unplugging the unit for 10 minutes (should have obviously tried that first but I've read so much about microprocessor resets here that came to mind first). After unplugging the unit for about 15 minutes and turning it back on the unit ran the rest of the night (about 45 minutes) without an issue. Woke up this morning and turned the unit on and I haven't had the issue again yet (it's been about an hour and 1/2 now).

I will definitely be keeping my eyes on this issue over the next week or so. My purchase of the unit at this time was to make sure the Zone 2 output of video/audio via HDMI would work in our home being built. I feel the X4000 is a keeper and really like the features and even like the GUI. Though, I am a little concerned about quality as it does seem there is often talk of microprocessor resets and having this crackle after 2 delays is a bummer way to start my journey with Denon.

Anyway, will be watching the unit like a hawk and may return/exchange the unit even if it doesn't crackle again. One thing is for sure, it is great to have this active of a thread for discussing the X4000. Thanks to all!
post #2348 of 9448 Old 09-07-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justeric78 View Post

I am going to call Denon one more time but I think i am going to take this back and try a yamaha. if that still does the same thing i am just going to wait a few more years and use my old Onkyo until digital to zone 2 is worked out better. Not sure what else to do.

Sorry the Zone 2 isn't working out for you. It fit my need for my HDMI to Zone 2 which is why I targeted the X4000. Is there even a Yamaha that allows for HDMI video/audio to Zone 2 in this price range?
post #2349 of 9448 Old 09-07-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:

Sorry the Zone 2 isn't working out for you. It fit my need for my HDMI to Zone 2 which is why I targeted the X4000. Is there even a Yamaha that allows for HDMI video/audio to Zone 2 in this price range?

I was going to put out more for the Yamaha A3030 but I talked to them and it does the exact same thing as the Denon. I think its an HDCP limitation that they have not found a fix for yet. I did come up with another solution however although not ideal. I grabbed my old Onkyo SR806 that i was upgrading from and made HDMI and Analog connection for zone 2 from the Denon. I am now getting 5.1 to main and it just passes through the HdmI to the Onkyo which i have set to stereo with the zone 2 output and it is downmixing to pure audio for me. seems to be my fix, it is working as intended now but i have no idea what to do with two giant receivers in my setup now lol. I think i knew in the back of my head the entire time this was my best fix I just really didnt want to do it. I wish there was a better answer.
post #2350 of 9448 Old 09-07-2013, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

My HTPC is the only HDMI connected gear that I have that I play in different zones. I use an HDMI splitter from Monoprice that outputs HDMI and optical. I have both the HDMI and optical outputs hooked up to the X4000 and get my audio everywhere. No need to down convert or do anything else to the audio. I don't know if there is a unit that would do this for both of your devices but you could certainly use 2. Far from ideal but HDCP is a pain in the ass.

Maybe this would work? I admit I didn't read too carefully
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011008&p_id=8146&seq=1&format=2
post #2351 of 9448 Old 09-07-2013, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Anyone using the X4000 as a processor? How's it working? Thinking about replacing my 7701 for a while until the new 2.0 standards are finalized. Need the XT32 and Dual Sub.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #2352 of 9448 Old 09-07-2013, 09:43 AM

Liked: 19
Thanks! I have set Network Standby/IP Control to "OFF in Standby" now, let me see if that helps.
post #2353 of 9448 Old 09-07-2013, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Hey jd/bp, do either of you know what frequency is adjusted using the Tone Control -6 +6 setting for both bass & treble on my X2000?

As always, thanks in advance!

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon X-2000 ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
post #2354 of 9448 Old 09-07-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec head View Post

My HTPC is the only HDMI connected gear that I have that I play in different zones. I use an HDMI splitter from Monoprice that outputs HDMI and optical. I have both the HDMI and optical outputs hooked up to the X4000 and get my audio everywhere. No need to down convert or do anything else to the audio. I don't know if there is a unit that would do this for both of your devices but you could certainly use 2. Far from ideal but HDCP is a pain in the ass.

Maybe this would work? I admit I didn't read too carefully
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011008&p_id=8146&seq=1&format=2

I have a 2x4 Monoprice matrix switch that i was using before the upgrade. Does this help as basically the receiver recognizes two different inputs for the same device? I would use one for the zone two and the other for zone one? I can output two HDMI from my HTPC. I would just call one HTPC zone 1 and the other zone 2. I could do the same for my Comcast box. the matrix has a remote I can use with my Harmony too. would that fix me up?
post #2355 of 9448 Old 09-07-2013, 10:03 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

Anyone using the X4000 as a processor? How's it working? Thinking about replacing my 7701 for a while until the new 2.0 standards are finalized. Need the XT32 and Dual Sub.

S~

Although not using an external amp personally, it shouldn't be a problem, rather you would simply run Audyssey and let the AVR account for the gain differential (ie. no different than with the 7701). Also with the external amp you could expand to 9CH if you choose.

post #2356 of 9448 Old 09-07-2013, 10:04 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Bone View Post

Hey jd/bp, do either of you know what frequency is adjusted using the Tone Control -6 +6 setting for both bass & treble on my X2000?

As always, thanks in advance!

Sorry, but no. Have never had a need to use it.

post #2357 of 9448 Old 09-07-2013, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Sorry, but no. Have never had a need to use it.

Same here, I was just curious.

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon X-2000 ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
post #2358 of 9448 Old 09-07-2013, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justeric78 View Post

I have a 2x4 Monoprice matrix switch that i was using before the upgrade. Does this help as basically the receiver recognizes two different inputs for the same device? I would use one for the zone two and the other for zone one? I can output two HDMI from my HTPC. I would just call one HTPC zone 1 and the other zone 2. I could do the same for my Comcast box. the matrix has a remote I can use with my Harmony too. would that fix me up?

I doubt it but there is no reason not to try. My switch outputs HDMI (untouched) AND stripped down PCM from the HDMI input to optical simultaneously. Then I use one input on the AVR for the HDMI signal (bitstreamed any format) in Z1 and the optical input goes to Z2. The switch even does analog audio out too.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=2
post #2359 of 9448 Old 09-07-2013, 01:57 PM

I don't know if this belongs in the Panasonic BDT-500 thread or this one, but I'm having some audio sync-issues. I've used my system all day, playing CDs and all of a sudden, as I'm watching a Blu-Ray, everything is out of sync.

The auto function does nothing, but I used to have it set att a 95 ms delay but all of a sudden I have to go up to 160 ms. (And it seems to get worse the longer I watch) Same disc and if I go back to the previous episode (I'm watching a TV show - Dexter) it's out of sync at 95, despite being just fine the other day.

I had a similar problem with Game of Thrones, season 1, last week to. Disc 1 was at 65, Disc 2 at 75 and Disch 3, 4, and 5 at 95 ms.

What can be wrong? No way this is how it's supposed to be.
post #2360 of 9448 Old 09-07-2013, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

First the auto sync feature only works if the corresponding TV also supports it, and most do not, it's a very misunderstood setting. I keep mine off. Second, did you change any setting on your TV in regards to motion control, like Samsung's Auto Motion Plus? If you did, the TV is taking a bit longer to process the video when you turn this setting from off, to min, to max. Seems to me that if you are experiencing sync issues with the same disc, then something had to change. If it is a streaming source, then that can be a bit of a crap shoot.

I have a Samsung D606420 LCD TV with AMP set to Clear (low), fed by an HDMI cable from my X2000, and I require a 110ms sync offset verified using both S&M2 and WOW calibrations discs. Mine is very consistent between sources like DirecTV and Blu-ray, but is still sometimes off using Amazon Instant. When I switch AMP to Standard (more aggressive) the sync needs to be at 160ms

EDIT: I should also add that TV shows on DirecTV can be a bit of a crap shoot from one channel to the next. For me, TBS is un-watchable due to how bad their sync is compared to every single other channel I watch. Also, not every show on Amazon Instant is off, it also varies from show to show, but it's always tolerable.

post #2361 of 9448 Old 09-07-2013, 03:02 PM

How do I know if my TV supports it? I use a Panasonic st60 plasma and I have turned off most (if not all) picture enhancing features. Like I said, the sync is worse today, despite playing the same disc as the other day and despite not having changed anything at all in the settings.
post #2362 of 9448 Old 09-07-2013, 03:07 PM

Sorry for this basic question, but how do you play audio for an input like the radio or media (apple TV) while watching Cable on the TV (i.e. watch a football game while jamming out to music)?

On a side note - played the X4000 for about 6 hours today and also re-ran Audyssey. No crackling as in the video from last night has occurred today.
post #2363 of 9448 Old 09-07-2013, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sveost View Post

How do I know if my TV supports it? I use a Panasonic st60 plasma and I have turned off most (if not all) picture enhancing features. Like I said, the sync is worse today, despite playing the same disc as the other day and despite not having changed anything at all in the settings.

I have never seen a TV that supports it, so I think it safe to assume that your Panny does not..........Have you actually used a calibration disc, or are you trying to watch the lips? I know I struggled a bit before using the S&M2/WOW discs, and where I "thought" I needed 80ms of delay by just watching the lips, I actually needed 30ms more (110ms) and have been totally happy since.

Here is a great YouTube test that is free: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szoOsG9137U

post #2364 of 9448 Old 09-07-2013, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 584
My panny vt50 supports it and it does a decent job. I'd assume the 2013 st60 would support it if my 2012 does, but of course you never know till you try. If all else fails you can also read the manual wink.gif

My old Sammy also needed 110-130.
post #2365 of 9448 Old 09-07-2013, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

My panny vt50 supports it and it does a decent job. I'd assume the 2013 st60 would support it if my 2012 does, but of course you never know till you try. If all else fails you can also read the manual wink.gif

Sounds like your TV is one of the first to incorporate it, and from what the OP is describing, it sounds like his doesn't. Also, I did a quick search regarding your TV and found no documentation stating that Panasonic has incorporated the Auto-Sync feature, and in the VT owners thread I found several users complaining about sync issues.

post #2366 of 9448 Old 09-07-2013, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 584
Not enough info to me, but ill say its so simple to do it manually tat he'd probably be best served just doing it that way. It's very annoying to notice and makes badly mixed movies think your settings are broken at times ( so watch many things before re-tweaking)
post #2367 of 9448 Old 09-07-2013, 07:07 PM

Liked: 12
I am curious if it is possible to adjust the volume offset per signal. When I switch to the tv input the overall volume is lower then when watching a blu ray my htpc. I am hoping there is a way to increase the offset volume for the tv source only.
post #2368 of 9448 Old 09-07-2013, 07:17 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Yes, but not the setting you are thinking of adjusting. The Dialogue Normalization offset is embedded in a DD signal and cannot be changed. However, you can adjust the Source Level setting between +/- 12db for each source to normalize the volume levels between your various sources.

post #2369 of 9448 Old 09-07-2013, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:

Sorry for this basic question, but how do you play audio for an input like the radio or media (apple TV) while watching Cable on the TV (i.e. watch a football game while jamming out to music)?

On a side note - played the X4000 for about 6 hours today and also re-ran Audyssey. No crackling as in the video from last night has occurred today.

Hi lawtyger, while listen to radio and the cable box on, press the "Option" button, scroll down to "Video Select" and select yes.
lawtyger likes this.
post #2370 of 9448 Old 09-07-2013, 09:00 PM

Liked: 11
I have the AVR-X2000, and I have noticed something strange on the display the last 2 times I have used the PS3 with it. When I turn the PS3 on and switch to the input on the receiver it says, "DIRECT". Previously every time I had used the PS3 with it the receiver would say, "MULTI-IN". I haven't done an update on the PS3 nor the receiver so I don't understand why it is now saying "DIRECT". And it's not the talking about the "Pure Direct" mode either. Any ideas? It switches to the correct audio mode once I start playing a bluray, for example DTS Master HD, but like I said it just baffles me that out of the blue it now says "DIRECT".
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , dolby digital plus , netflix 5.1
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page