The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 93 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2761 of 9430 Old 09-26-2013, 12:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there a way to save my settings so whenever I play a bluray on my ps3 the sound is multi ch in and the levels are what they are right now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2762 of 9430 Old 09-26-2013, 03:37 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1798 Post(s)
Liked: 1706
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidorama View Post

Thanks so much for the help. I set the sub level down to -3dB. I turned Dyn Vol OFF. I played the Dark Knight using my PS3. My initial sound mode was Dolby Pro Logic. I then updated something in the PS3 audio output settings so the sound mode became Multi Ch In. The sound was amazing. Next thing I know my neighbor comes complaining about the loudness. This was just at a volume of 70! I have turned the volume down to 55 and turned Dyn Vol ON thinking it may keep things down. I wanted to thank you for your tips. This sounds amazing!

Note that 70 is only 10 below reference level of 80 and louder than most folks would ever have their AVR set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidorama View Post

Is there a way to save my settings so whenever I play a bluray on my ps3 the sound is multi ch in and the levels are what they are right now?

Yup. Use one of the Quick Select buttons on the front panel display.
sidorama likes this.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #2763 of 9430 Old 09-26-2013, 03:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

AVR-2113CI >> AVR-X2000 ($649 msrp)

Key upgrades over the X1000:

* RS-232 serial port and Remote IR In/Out jacks for custom integration flexibility

Interestingly enough the UK version the AVR-X2000 does not include RS-232.
post #2764 of 9430 Old 09-26-2013, 03:43 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec head View Post

EDIT: I just checked on it and it was in protection mode again. The only thing plugged in was the power cord. I guess I need to visit the dealer tomorrow.

Yup. Sounds like a defective unit to be sure. Replace it. frown.gif

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #2765 of 9430 Old 09-26-2013, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 40
That's what I thought. I hope I don't end up receiver-less for a week while they order a new one. Or worse yet send it for service.
post #2766 of 9430 Old 09-26-2013, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgtex View Post

Quote:

Why does it matter what the input signal reported in the receiver says when there is no content playing? It's probably just something to do with the soundcard configuration. As long as it plays normally with actual content then I wouldn't worry about it.
Tanks for your reply. WHEN I watch movies with HD audio - such as Dolby TrueHD or DTS MA - on PowerDVD or TMT, Sample Rate on Denon X1000 still don't pass more than 48Khz. When I don't have nothing playing, the audio specs shows more than 48. But I don't care about it. I just want to know if Sample Rate fixed at 48Khz while palying movies with HD audio is a normal thing. I thought I can get 192Khz with HD audio.  

That's a misconception. The VAST majority of HD audio tracks on movies (Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD) are actually recorded at 48kHz sample rate. There are a few movies with 96kHz audio sampling, but AFAIK only very very rarely at 192kHz. You really don't need more than 48kHz anyway to capture the full audio spectrum of human hearing, 96kHz+ is mostly audiofoolery for people who like big numbers.

To get a list of the high-bit-rate titles, see http://www.blu-raystats.com/Stats/Stats.php?OrderBy=Title&Audio=96kHz
Onk Yo and davidbarrickman like this.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #2767 of 9430 Old 09-26-2013, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec head View Post

That's what I thought. I hope I don't end up receiver-less for a week while they order a new one. Or worse yet send it for service.

You haven't mentioned how fast the standby light is blinking. If it's several times per second, it's an amp problem. If its more like several seconds per blink, then it's overheating.

Selden

post #2768 of 9430 Old 09-26-2013, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

It's the fast blink. The manual says 0.5 seconds and that looks right to me. I have a couple inches on each side at least 3 on top and a fan blowing across the top.
post #2769 of 9430 Old 09-26-2013, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Yup: it needs to be sent out for repair or replacement frown.gif

Selden

post #2770 of 9430 Old 09-26-2013, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

I want to say that the customer service at Saturday Audio here in Chicago is fantastic. I bought my X4000 just over 2 months ago. I walked in the door told them that it is going into protection mode and what I have done to test it. I left in 10 minutes with a new unit that I am about to set up. I don't think I paid the rock bottom price but I paid less than Best Buy and I get fantastic service. If you are in the Chicagoland area it is definitely a place to check out.
SanchoPanza likes this.
post #2771 of 9430 Old 09-26-2013, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 584
You got real lucky you didn't need to go through the hell of dealing with the manufacturer warranty route. Good for you - more time enjoying the set.
post #2772 of 9430 Old 09-26-2013, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Prolly worth the extra money; I bought another receiver instead, & it has come in handy.

just 1 more pair of KLIPSCH Classic speakers...
RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC 60" PLASMA 3D, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK BRD (iPhone APPs), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 HD DVD/BRD, iPod 8 GB, 13.2: KLIPSCH La Scala 1980 (Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers Sonicaps) FRONT, HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE, HERESY II CENTER/SURROUND, kg2 SB, kg3/kg1 Front/Rear HEIGHT, RW-12d SW, km-rsw
post #2773 of 9430 Old 09-26-2013, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

You got real lucky you didn't need to go through the hell of dealing with the manufacturer warranty route. Good for you - more time enjoying the set.

A big part of the reason I keep going back is the service. I have impressed me before when my old sub was having problems so I didn't think I'd have to deal with the manufacturer but I was really lucky they had one in stock.
post #2774 of 9430 Old 09-26-2013, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know people don't typically come to forums to say "my AVR is working great" and I figure a lot of people come due to issues they are having. I like following this thread even after my purchase because otherness I'll learn something about the receiver I didn't know or understand. But, I have to admit when I see issues like the one above come up it makes me worry that my X4000 will fail sooner than later. I guess I have to remind myself there are tons of this unit sold.
post #2775 of 9430 Old 09-26-2013, 06:30 PM
585-645-1006

How to do the SAVE/LOAD using Chrome

I finally got around to doing a SAVE/LOAD on my X4000 (although it should also work on the other networking models as well). For those of you having difficulty with this process I feel your pain. I initially tried to use IE 9 with a WIN 7 laptop but IE9 would time out shortly after the AVR went to Standby, although the SAVE process would continue. And although I was able to finally get a good SAVE file (confirmed by hex viewer), it was only after setting IP Control to "Off in Standby" as has been suggested here before. So far so good until I tried to LOAD the file which resulted in several errors to include "The version of config.dat is different" or simply "Try Again" which resulted in LOAD failure after multiple attempts. So I started over by copying the below links to my Chrome browser which resulted in both a good SAVE file and successful LOAD as well. This was still with IP Control set to "Off in Standby" so I changed the IP Control back to "Always ON" which resulted once again in both a successful SAVE and LOAD.

1. WIN 7 laptop wirelessly connected to the network with the AVR powered ON (shouldn't matter what source is selected on the AVR's front panel display as long as there is no network source playing, I had CD selected).

SAVE
2. Enter the following SAVE URL into the Chrome web browser on the laptop replacing (192.168.0.236) with your unit's IP Address (Network - Information - IP Address)

<http://192.168.0.236/SETUP/OTHERS/SAVE/f_config_save.asp>

3. The following screen should display on the laptop

4. On the laptop display, click on the "Save Config" button. The following message (see below) displaying your units IP address will be displayed in the lower left corner of the laptop display during the entire SAVE process ... (Note: If you have previously saved a config.dat file ensure you rename it to some other name, eg. config1.dat, without using any special characters, otherwise if you don't, the PC is likely to name the new SAVE file as config(1).dat file and renaming it to config.dat afterwards may not result in a successful LOAD). Also note that the LOAD process will allow you to directly LOAD a file labeled other than config.dat so there is no reason to have to change it back to config.dat, rather if you want to maintain multiple SAVE copies, ensure each has its own dedicated name without using parenthesis in the name.

5. The AVR will power to Standby and the AVR's front panel display will read "Saving" (Note: If the AVR does not display "Saving" then follow step (5.a) below). The process should take about 12 minutes with the config.dat file automatically being stored to the [Downloads] folder on the laptop (ie. unlike the instructions provided that indicate to select a SAVE file name, I was not given that choice, rather when the process completed the file was automatically saved to the laptop without any further intervention from me). The X4000 file size is 952kb with the lower model files likely being only 348kb. The AVR should power back ON after the file has been saved to your laptop, although note it will also power on Zones 2 and 3 in the process.

a. AVR does not display "Saving" - If you do not see the word "Saving" on the front panel display within a few seconds an empty file will start to download to the laptop immediately and upon completion the AVR will power cycle OFF/ON. Wait for the file to be downloaded, delete the config.dat file from the laptop and then do a soft reset on the AVR (ie. power to Standby and unplug for a few minutes). Start the SAVE process again beginning with Step #4 .

6. To confirm whether the file is a good SAVE, use a hex editor (eg. http://download.cnet.com/HxD-Hex-Edi...-10891068.html) to view the file and ensure the file is not all zeroes, (ie. if there is any data in addition to zeroes, then it is a good SAVE). If the file is all zeroes, on the AVR set the IP Control setting to "Off in Standby", cycle the AVR OFF and then ON again and repeat the SAVE process from step 2.

LOAD
7. Enter the following LOAD URL into the Chrome web browser on the laptop replacing (192.168.0.256) with your unit's IP Address (Network - Information - IP Address)

<http://192.168.0.236/SETUP/OTHERS/LOAD/f_config_load.asp>

8. The following screen should display on the laptop ....

9. Click on the "Choose File" button and find the SAVE file (config.dat, config1.dat or whatever name you selected again remembering that you cannot use a file labeled with parens such as config(1).dat) in your [Downloads] folder and select it. Once selected, the laptop should display the file name next to the "Choose File" button as noted below ....

10. Click on the "Upload" button. The laptop should display an "Uploading" message in the lower left corner of your laptop display. Once the file is uploaded to the AVR (~ 30 seconds), the AVR will power to Standby and display "Loading" on the front panel display. The LOAD process will take about 6 minutes with the following message displayed in the lower left corner of the laptop display ....

11. If the LOAD has completed successfully, the following image should be displayed on your laptop and the AVR will power back ON again (Yeh! ).

If the LOAD did not complete successfully ( ), and you have not set the IP Control to "Off in Standby", try making that setting change, power the AVR to Standby then back ON again and do the LOAD process again by clicking on the LOAD button. The LOAD should complete successfully this time.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 08-07-2014 at 03:16 PM.
post #2776 of 9430 Old 09-26-2013, 08:16 PM

Liked: 19
I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I have the Assign Mode set to ZONE2. I have a speaker connected to ZONE2 R. But when I turn on zone 2 and increase the volume I don't hear anything from that zone2 speaker. This worked when I had the X4000 so I know the speaker and the wire connections should be fine. Is there anything else that need to do? That manual talks about selecting the source but that has only options like iPod, tuner, network or an analog audio input. Does this mean I can't use the zone2 with say media player source?!
post #2777 of 9430 Old 09-26-2013, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by scientifix View Post

That manual talks about selecting the source but that has only options like iPod, tuner, network or an analog audio input. Does this mean I can't use the zone2 with say media player source?!

Hi scientifix, it can only pass analog to zone2 if you have the X2000.
post #2778 of 9430 Old 09-26-2013, 08:34 PM

Liked: 11
I just bought a new E400 today, as I had a yamaha 863 but it is not 3d compatible. My question for you guys is the E400 able to be bi amped? I have Monitor 70's, CS2 center 4 BIC accoustic ceiling speakers and 2 F-12 subs. I was looking into bi amping the 70's. Im new to all the AV stuff so any suggestions or recommendation's would be great!!

Thanks in advance..
post #2779 of 9430 Old 09-26-2013, 08:52 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by scientifix View Post

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I have the Assign Mode set to ZONE2. I have a speaker connected to ZONE2 R. But when I turn on zone 2 and increase the volume I don't hear anything from that zone2 speaker. This worked when I had the X4000 so I know the speaker and the wire connections should be fine. Is there anything else that need to do? That manual talks about selecting the source but that has only options like iPod, tuner, network or an analog audio input. Does this mean I can't use the zone2 with say media player source?!

Unlike the X3000 and X4000, the X2000/X1000/E400 cannot pass HDMI audio to Zone 2 unless using "All Zone Stereo".

post #2780 of 9430 Old 09-26-2013, 08:57 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadillac View Post

I jusy bought a new E400 today, as I had a yamaha 863 but it is not 3d compatible. My question for you guys is the E400 able to be bi amped? I have Monitor 70's, CS2 center 4 BIC accoustic ceiling speakers and 2 F-12 subs. I was looking into bi amping the 70's. Im new to all the AV stuff so any suggestions or recommendation's would be great!!

Thanks in advance..

Only the X2000 and higher models feature the "bi-amp" feature (although with 7 speakers already you would have to give up the 2 rear surrounds to use this feature if available); however, even if used, it is unlikely that it would provide any benefit in either additional power or audio fidelity, both of which would require external crossovers and amps to accomplish.

post #2781 of 9430 Old 09-26-2013, 09:27 PM

Liked: 39
Can X2000 power Klipsch RF-82ii x 2/ RC-62/ RS-52ii x 2/ RB61ii x 2 and HSU-VTF-15 effectively? or do I need to step up?
post #2782 of 9430 Old 09-26-2013, 09:33 PM
585-645-1006

Unless you are in a very large room and listen at above reference volume levels, the X2000 would provide more than enough power as Klipsch speakers are generally very efficient, only requiring a few watts of power to reach reference volume levels. To "step up" would require adding a much more power external amp (eg. Emotiva XPA-2 or EPA-3) which could then only being connected to the X4000 as it is the only model with main zone pre-outs.

post #2783 of 9430 Old 09-26-2013, 09:51 PM

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Unless you are in a very large room and listen at above reference volume levels, the X2000 would provide more than enough power as Klipsch speakers are generally very efficient, only requiring a few watts of power to reach reference volume levels. To "step up" would require adding a much more power external amp (eg. Emotiva XPA-2 or EPA-3) which could then only being connected to the X4000 as it is the only model with main zone pre-outs.

Room is 12' W X 20' L X 8' H sealed and yes I do listen at reference level so I guess the X2000 can do the job.
post #2784 of 9430 Old 09-26-2013, 09:56 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:

Unlike the X3000 and X4000, the X2000/X1000/E400 cannot pass HDMI audio to Zone 2 unless using "All Zone Stereo".
Thanks! I set it to All Zone Stereo and yes now it works. This is what I wanted. In the manual I was looking for zone2 in subsection headings but couldn't find answer in those sections. And now I see that it's because it's in a different part of the manual! Thanks again.
post #2785 of 9430 Old 09-27-2013, 05:27 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Only the X2000 and higher models feature the "bi-amp" feature (although with 7 speakers already you would have to give up the 2 rear surrounds to use this feature if available); however, even if used, it is unlikely that it would provide any benefit in either additional power or audio fidelity, both of which would require external crossovers and amps to accomplish.

I have been ready on the net the bi amping rarely provides and benefit at all anyway. I was just looking to get the full wattage out of my receiver to my polk monitor 70's.

Thanks for the help and looking to learn great deal in this forum from you guys!!
post #2786 of 9430 Old 09-27-2013, 05:44 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Unless you have the volume raised above 80/0db and are hearing distortion, additional wattage is of no benefit to you.

post #2787 of 9430 Old 09-27-2013, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by booga24 View Post

Room is 12' W X 20' L X 8' H sealed and yes I do listen at reference level so I guess the X2000 can do the job.

I think you will be fine, I have similar speakers. Im running the X4000 as a pre pro with the UPA-500 (tested around 85w/channel all channels driven) and it makes these speakers sing.

The only thing you run into with say a 5.1 system, is after going up from 3.1, a dedicated AVR's amp usually starts losing power per channel.

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #2788 of 9430 Old 09-27-2013, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Anyone using the X4000 Phono Stage ? I just tried it and either my table is setup wrong or the Phono Stage is awful

Analog :Preamp: NOS Valves NBS Preamplifier, Amps: NOS Valves VRD mono blocks - VPI Classic 2 Soundsmith Zephyr MK/II VPI 16.5
Digital :Auralic Vega , Auralic Aries
Speakers :Selah Audio Tempesta's
post #2789 of 9430 Old 09-27-2013, 07:06 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Yup ... works fine for me. What "table" are you referring to?

post #2790 of 9430 Old 09-27-2013, 07:08 AM
585-645-1006

How to prevent Zones 2/3 from powering on when not using them

For those X4000 owners using the Denon remote that are having difficulty with Zones 2 or 3 powering on, yet not currently having any Zone 2/3 speakers connected, you can program the remote to only control the Main zone as shown on p. 208 in the Owner's manual and below ...

Main zone only - press hold Main/Setup
Main zone + Zone 2 - press hold "2"/Setup
Main zone + Zone 2 + Zone 3 - press hold "3"/Setup

Yungster likes this.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 08-29-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , dolby digital plus , netflix 5.1
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page