The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 97 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #2881 of 11195 Old 10-04-2013, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Okay, I have to be missing something but since I replaced my X4000 I am having a problem. Here's what's happening: I'm in the main zone with the AVR on. I turn off Z2 with the remote. The main zone doesn't just flash, I lose the picture and sound for good. I can view the AVR's OSD and menus. Doesn't matter what input Z1 or Z2 are on. Only solution is to turn Z2 back on.

My HDMI settings are:
Lip Sync: ON
HDMI Audio Out: AVR
Video Output: Auto (I have tried using Monitor 1- no change)
Pass Through: Off
HDMI Control: Off

I only have 1 TV hooked up.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2882 of 11195 Old 10-04-2013, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is anyone here familiar with both the older AVR 591 and the new X1000? I recently started having issues with my 591 (I think, it may be something else) and might be in the market for a replacement/upgrade. I have a fairly simple setup: cable box, Xbox 360 and blu-ray dvd player all connected via HDMI to my receiver with HDMI out to my TV. Would a X1000 be a significant upgrade over the 591 in terms of sound quality? About the same? A notch below? Thanks for your input!
post #2883 of 11195 Old 10-04-2013, 01:32 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 4023 Post(s)
Liked: 2253
The 591 is one model level down from the X1000 which replaced the 17XX series. It uses Audyssey MultEQ, while the X1000 uses the next version up, MultEQ XT which would provide some upgrade in audio quality, certainly not night and day.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
post #2884 of 11195 Old 10-05-2013, 03:17 PM

I have an X4000 and today front panel stopped working and all my speakers stopped working as well. All the video inputs are working and I can change between all my sources. The issues occurred right after turning it on and not during operation. It was also working fine earlier in the day. I have tested all the speaker and they are fine. I have also checked that the dimmer for the front panel display wasn't the issue. I tried a microprocessor reset and I'm still experiencing the same symptoms. I have since disconnected everything from the unit and tried another reset but the front panel still doesn't come on.

Does anybody have any magical troubleshooting steps that I may have missed? Or is this just one of the items where I'm going to have to take it in for service and move on with my life?
post #2885 of 11195 Old 10-06-2013, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked: 691
Birdman,

Have you tried unplugging it from the wall for 10 minutes?
That's called a "soft reset" and sometimes fixes software glitches. Unfortunately, if you've had a hardware failure, it won't do anything useful. frown.gif

Using on/off button on the front panel or the remote does not actually turn the receiver all the way off.

Selden

Marantz SR7009+MM9000/Atmos 7.1.4 (FH+TM:DefTech PM1000)/LCR+TM amped
post #2886 of 11195 Old 10-06-2013, 08:50 AM

Liked: 12
I recently purchased a Denon X4000 for my main theater room. I am currently running it in 7.2 and it will be going up to 9.3 (external amp) pretty soon. I was formerly a Pioneer fan but this new X4000 has blown me away.

Here is my dilemma:
I would like to run audio throughout my entire house. I believe I will need to purchase an additional AVR but wanted to get everyone's opinion first. I would like to run audio in three different zones, each one in stereo or 2 channel mode. One set of speakers upstairs, one set of speakers downstairs, and one set of speakers outside on the back deck. I do not intend to you use it for video of any kind or running surround sound at any time. Of course, if it is possible to do what I want and use it for that, I may consider purchasing a unit for both functions. I would also like to make sure it is Airplay enabled or blue tooth to allow people to stream directly from phones or iPads. I would also like it to be able to connect to my main media server that has over 200GB of music.

Is it possible to have my X4000 run all zones and if not needed still be used in the theater room (upstairs)?

I am sure there are other questions but I do not know what they may be. Please let me know what additional information is needed and what you recommendations would be for completing this.

Thanks
Ian
post #2887 of 11195 Old 10-06-2013, 09:29 AM
585-645-1006

^^
So then you want to have (4) total zones to include the main zone + (3) additional zones. You need to decide whether the (3) additional zones will play the same source (ie. all considered Zone 2) or if you want independent audio to 1 or 2 of the 3 additional zones (ie. Zone 3). If you don't need independent network audio stations to two different zones then you could use the X4000 as shown below purchasing either 2 or 3 2CH amps depending on your decision and whether or not you will be using a more powerful amp to power the FL/FR speakers.

http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AMP-100-Stereo-Power-Amplifier/dp/B00026BQJ6

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10903&cs_id=1090305&p_id=6857&seq=1&format=2

Main Zone: SBL/SBR (or FH or FW) pre-outs to AMP 100 #1 to expand from 7.2 to 9.2 (if not using more powerful amp for FL/FR speakers)
Zone 2: Zone 2 pre-outs connected to AMP 100 #2 connected to speaker selector connected to 2 or 3 sets of speakers
Zone 3: Zone 3 pre-outs connected to AMP 100 #3 connected to 1 set of speakers (if Zone 2 not connected to 3 sets of speakers)

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
post #2888 of 11195 Old 10-06-2013, 09:41 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman5589 View Post

I have an X4000 and today front panel stopped working and all my speakers stopped working as well. All the video inputs are working and I can change between all my sources. The issues occurred right after turning it on and not during operation. It was also working fine earlier in the day. I have tested all the speaker and they are fine. I have also checked that the dimmer for the front panel display wasn't the issue. I tried a microprocessor reset and I'm still experiencing the same symptoms. I have since disconnected everything from the unit and tried another reset but the front panel still doesn't come on.

Does anybody have any magical troubleshooting steps that I may have missed? Or is this just one of the items where I'm going to have to take it in for service and move on with my life?

Is the front panel displaying for a few seconds and then blanking out (ie. PURE DIRECT mode) or simply not displaying at all? If the former, this is by design and taking it out of PURE DIRECT mode will bring the display back. If the latter, try a few more microprocessor resets in succession. If still no joy and within your return period, return it, otherwise check Denon's website to see if their are any authorized repair facilities in your local area.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #2889 of 11195 Old 10-06-2013, 09:46 AM

Thank you for the replay JD.

I am actually only looking to have 3 zones playing at one time and they will all be playing the same audio. I would like to have the main zone available as either the movie (no other zones playing) or all zones playing music throughout the entire house and outside. I am not sure if I explained that correctly. I plan to purchase an Emotiva XPA-5 to power the mains (L/C/R) plus the two additional front heights. The Denon X4000 would then power the side surrounds and the rear surrounds. Of course this would never be playing at the same time as the rest of the house.

Is it not possible to have the X4000 run the other zones without having to purchase additional 2 channel amps? I was thinking that the X4000 would play audio from zone 1 in 2 ch, zone 2 in 2 ch, and zone 3 in 2 ch. All the same audio/signal/source. Then of course when we wanted to watch a movie the X4000 would not play anything from those other 2 zones. Not sure if I am asking the right questions.

Thanks for your help though.
post #2890 of 11195 Old 10-06-2013, 10:01 AM
585-645-1006

In that instance, all three extra rooms would be considered as Zone 2; and the X4000 cannot power Zone 2 or 3 speakers when in the 9CH mode (unlike the 4520CI which can free assign unused on board amps for this purpose). So you would still have to connect another amp to the Zone 2 pre-outs. Note the selector I linked is an inexpensive unit requiring manual intervention whereas you could purchase more costly "wireless" selectors that could be operated via a smart phone if desired.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #2891 of 11195 Old 10-06-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

In that instance, all three extra rooms would be considered as Zone 2; and the X4000 cannot power Zone 2 or 3 speakers when in the 9CH mode (unlike the 4520CI which can free assign unused on board amps for this purpose). So you would still have to connect another amp to the Zone 2 pre-outs. Note the selector I linked is an inexpensive unit requiring manual intervention whereas you could purchase more costly "wireless" selectors that could be operated via a smart phone if desired.

Great! Getting closer. If I decided that I did not want to run the X4000 in 9ch mode (may not be in the near future yet as this is higher priority) and it still ran in 7 ch mode would that help? I would like the main zone (theater room in 2 ch mode) to play the same thing as downstairs and the same thing as outside. If you are saying that all other zones would essentially be zone 2 and the main zone (theater room) is playing the same thing as all other zones, is there still a need for an additional amp?
post #2892 of 11195 Old 10-06-2013, 10:24 AM
585-645-1006

As noted by the AMP ASSIGN settings on p. 181 in the Owner's manual, the AVR can do either 5.1+Zone 2 (stereo), 5.1+Zone 3 (stereo), or 5.1 + Zones 2/3 (mono). The default is the choice you want so no change to the setting is required.

However, the AVR uses the SBL/SBR speaker posts to power the Zone 2 speakers so you would have to have the SBL/SBR speakers connected to the XPA-5 rather than the FHL/FHR speakers. You would then connect the speaker selector to the SBL/SBR speaker posts and connect each of the (3) room speakers to the speaker selector. You would then be able to pass the same audio playing in the main zone to the Zone 2 speakers or an independent source, eg. if 5.1 movie playing in the main zone and Pandora playing in Zone 2.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #2893 of 11195 Old 10-06-2013, 10:35 AM

Liked: 11
So I swapped out my Onkyo 3008 for the Denon x4000 yesterday and ran Audyssey. What worries or confuses me is Audyssey set the crossovers and speaker trims about the same on the x4000 as on the 3008...but when I'm at -10 on the Denon, it doesn't seem loud enough, where as on the Onkyo it was very loud... I found myself turning up the Denon to +6 or so to get where -10 was, and I'm worried if I'm going to be pushing the Denon too hard and might experience distortion or clipping... Part of me knows I'm still only using a few watts per channel, but part of me is worried because the Denon is so light (feels like a toy compared to the Onk which weighs twice as much) that maybe the amp will need an Emotiva to help it out... Still, shouldn't the spl be the same at "0" (reference) after audyssey runs? BTW, my speakers are relatively easy to drive (Definitive Mythos supertowers with built in subs, SVS 20-39pc+ sub , gems for sourround duty in a relatively small room....Any thoughts? kf
post #2894 of 11195 Old 10-06-2013, 10:39 AM

Just got the x-4000. I want to use the media player in the denon from my comp. but also want to send that signal to my old marantz 7001 is it poss. my brain is froze up right now now . thanks for looking.
post #2895 of 11195 Old 10-06-2013, 10:55 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Using analog or HDMI input from the PC? If the former (Zone 2 pre-outs to 7001). If the latter (Zone 2 (HDMI) or Zone 2 pre-outs).

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #2896 of 11195 Old 10-06-2013, 10:56 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmfellows View Post

So I swapped out my Onkyo 3008 for the Denon x4000 yesterday and ran Audyssey. What worries or confuses me is Audyssey set the crossovers and speaker trims about the same on the x4000 as on the 3008...but when I'm at -10 on the Denon, it doesn't seem loud enough, where as on the Onkyo it was very loud... I found myself turning up the Denon to +6 or so to get where -10 was, and I'm worried if I'm going to be pushing the Denon too hard and might experience distortion or clipping... Part of me knows I'm still only using a few watts per channel, but part of me is worried because the Denon is so light (feels like a toy compared to the Onk which weighs twice as much) that maybe the amp will need an Emotiva to help it out... Still, shouldn't the spl be the same at "0" (reference) after audyssey runs? BTW, my speakers are relatively easy to drive (Definitive Mythos supertowers with built in subs, SVS 20-39pc+ sub , gems for sourround duty in a relatively small room....Any thoughts? kf

Dynamic Volume ON/OFF?

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #2897 of 11195 Old 10-06-2013, 11:30 AM

Liked: 11
Dynamic volume is off, using regular Audyssey (not flat) processing..
post #2898 of 11195 Old 10-06-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Birdman,

Have you tried unplugging it from the wall for 10 minutes?
That's called a "soft reset" and sometimes fixes software glitches. Unfortunately, if you've had a hardware failure, it won't do anything useful. frown.gif

Using on/off button on the front panel or the remote does not actually turn the receiver all the way off.

I did try a soft reset before I did the microprocessor reset.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Is the front panel displaying for a few seconds and then blanking out (ie. PURE DIRECT mode) or simply not displaying at all? If the former, this is by design and taking it out of PURE DIRECT mode will bring the display back. If the latter, try a few more microprocessor resets in succession. If still no joy and within your return period, return it, otherwise check Denon's website to see if their are any authorized repair facilities in your local area.

The front panel is not displaying at all. I guess it is looking more and more like a hardware failure. Luckily there is a authorized service center within 20 miles of my location so it shouldn't be too horrible to get it serviced. Thanks for the suggestions though.
post #2899 of 11195 Old 10-07-2013, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by rec head View Post

Okay, I have to be missing something but since I replaced my X4000 I am having a problem. Here's what's happening: I'm in the main zone with the AVR on. I turn off Z2 with the remote. The main zone doesn't just flash, I lose the picture and sound for good. I can view the AVR's OSD and menus. Doesn't matter what input Z1 or Z2 are on. Only solution is to turn Z2 back on.

My HDMI settings are:
Lip Sync: ON
HDMI Audio Out: AVR
Video Output: Auto (I have tried using Monitor 1- no change)
Pass Through: Off
HDMI Control: Off

I only have 1 TV hooked up.

Any ideas?

bump
post #2900 of 11195 Old 10-07-2013, 09:00 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Standard procedure ..... Soft reset (unplug for 10 minutes). If no joy, microprocessor reset.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #2901 of 11195 Old 10-07-2013, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Is it just me or is the phono input on the X4000 just that bad , I orderd a seperate phono stage just to make sure . I should have it in the morning

Analog :Preamp: NOS Valves NBS Preamplifier, Amps: NOS Valves VRD Mono Blocks
Digital :Totaldac D1 Dual / D1 Server
Speakers :Selah Audio Tempesta's
Cables : Antipodes Komako Totaldac D1 USB
HT :Sony VPL-HW40ES 100" Elite Onkyo TX-NR5007 (4) XL-12's (1) XL-23 SVS PB-12 Plus
post #2902 of 11195 Old 10-07-2013, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Was watching the most recent episode of Revolution a few days ago. Running 7.1 with wides through a denon x4000. There was a scene with a conversation in a pool. For about a minute or so there was a cool panning effect of a bug flying around behind me back and forth. Was pretty cool.
post #2903 of 11195 Old 10-07-2013, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Black Flag can fix your bug problem, aka Skeeter Skoot we call it at the South, LoL.

just 1 more pair of KLIPSCH Classic speakers...
RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC 60" PLASMA 3D, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK BRD (iPhone APPs), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 HD DVD/BRD, iPod 8 GB, 13.2: KLIPSCH La Scala 1980 (Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers Sonicaps) FRONT, HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE, HERESY II CENTER/SURROUND, kg2 SB, kg3/kg1 Front/Rear HEIGHT, RW-12d SW, km-rsw
post #2904 of 11195 Old 10-07-2013, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Yeah the amp is pretty weak in it. I find I have to raise the source level to plus 10, but this also introduces some background hum. I was thinking of getting a separate phono amp myself.
post #2905 of 11195 Old 10-08-2013, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello,

I have a X2000

Can Dynamic EQ be either disabled or adjusted on a Source level?

My feed (DirectTV) from the local ABC affiliate is killing me. The sub is so out of control that I cant hear the dialog a good bit of the time. All other sources are fine as well as other networks. For now I have been turning Dynamic EQ off when watching the channel.

Thanks
post #2906 of 11195 Old 10-08-2013, 09:12 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Yes. Dyn EQ can be set ON/OFF by source; however, there is also the Reference Level Offset setting that can be set to 10db or 15db to reduce the bass boost and thus help improve the dialogue quality for TV viewing.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #2907 of 11195 Old 10-08-2013, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1724 Post(s)
Liked: 1934
Everything in the Audio / Audyssey menu is memorized separately by source.

Also before turning DEQ off completely try adjusting the Reference Level Offset for the input. That tones down how DEQ works.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #2908 of 11195 Old 10-08-2013, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Spamilton View Post

Yeah the amp is pretty weak in it. I find I have to raise the source level to plus 10, but this also introduces some background hum. I was thinking of getting a separate phono amp myself.

Okay my new phono amp just showed up and all it did was amplify the awful sound which I was pretty sure would be the case , I then took the TT over to my parents house and hooked it to there 10 yr old onkyo setup and it sounded awesome .

This would be 2 different receivers I hooked the TT up to and they both sounded good ? everything else is solid with the 4000 . I'm lost any ideas ?

I hooked the separate phono amp to cd/aux/dvd all sounded awful , then without the phono amp I hooked the TT to the 4000 phono and still awful

HT :Sony VPL-HW40ES 100" Elite Onkyo TX-NR5007 (4) XL-12's (1) XL-23 SVS PB-12 Plus
post #2909 of 11195 Old 10-08-2013, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1724 Post(s)
Liked: 1934
If it sounds awful whether you use the X4000's built-in phono preamp or an external phono preamp plugged into a regular RCA input.... then it seems the problem CAN'T be the X4000 right? Unless you hook up another RCA analog input source (e.g. a CD player) and play some music and it sounds bad that way too.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #2910 of 11195 Old 10-08-2013, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

If it sounds awful whether you use the X4000's built-in phono preamp or an external phono preamp plugged into a regular RCA input.... then it seems the problem CAN'T be the X4000 right? Unless you hook up another RCA analog input source (e.g. a CD player) and play some music and it sounds bad that way too.

Am I missing something , if I take the TT and hook it to any other receiver it works fine . So to me it points at the 4000

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , dolby digital plus , netflix 5.1
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page