*Official* Pioneer SC-1522 9.2 Network ready AV receiver owners thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1737 Old 04-27-2013, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I believe they may be referring to going into the standing wave settings and raising the sub trim by 3db or so. I could be wrong, but I think that's it. Someone correct if I'm wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1737 Old 04-27-2013, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenyle View Post

Can someone confirm that this reciever is "not" capable of outputting two independent HDMI sources, i.e HDMI out 1 and HDMI out 2 can display two different HDMI input sources. This is a big deal for me and the only reciever i have found that can do this at a decent price point is the denon 3313ci

I'm quite certain you can display different sources through second hdmi output. It mentions it in the manual clearly about optional setups.
post #543 of 1737 Old 04-27-2013, 09:59 PM

Help pls should i get this receiver or the onkyo 818?
post #544 of 1737 Old 04-27-2013, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by miicho View Post

Without a doubt. For one you got digital amps, 9 channels. And no hdmi problems like the onkyo has.
miicho likes this.
post #545 of 1737 Old 04-27-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post

Without a doubt. For one you got digital amps, 9 channels. And no hdmi problems like the onkyo has.
Thank you for your advice, now does the xt32 really make a difference?
post #546 of 1737 Old 04-27-2013, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1445
Quote:

i would stay away from onkyo...
miicho likes this.
post #547 of 1737 Old 04-27-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

i would stay away from onkyo...

I'm gonna have to run to costco tomorrow.
post #548 of 1737 Old 04-27-2013, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you for your advice, now does the xt32 really make a difference?

spend some time resesrching it instead of taking one members word on it. from the research i have done, some folks hsve good success and others say its not that impressive. it all boils down to how far your room acoustics are off. imo buy a reciever that is reliable and has all the features you want. there is plenty of after market room correction software options that you can add down the road if needed... such as minidsp, antimode, bhd...fwiw i have read alot of folks with audyssey avr's that still end up with one of the above mentioned because audyssey did not do that great of a job.
miicho likes this.
post #549 of 1737 Old 04-27-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:

spend some time resesrching it instead of taking one members word on it. from the research i have done, some folks hsve good success and others say its not that impressive. it all boils down to how far your room acoustics are off. imo buy a reciever that is reliable and has all the features you want. there is plenty of after market room correction software options that you can add down the road if needed... such as minidsp, antimode, bhd...fwiw i have read alot of folks with audyssey avr's that still end up with one of the above mentioned because audyssey did not do that great of a job.

Well i'm no audiophile not even close but i really want to upgrade and both the 818 and the Pioneer are within my budget, so i was looking for an educated opinion from the folks here at avs, I'm leaning more towards the pioneer now, i just wanna be sure i make the right decision.
post #550 of 1737 Old 04-28-2013, 08:45 AM
osv
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi f1snob, on the remote use "Signal Sel" and set to Digital.

i had the same problem, thanks for the post.

the problem manifests itself as no audio, even when input is setup correctly, because the input setting is being overridden.

perhaps they'll fix it in a firmware update.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #551 of 1737 Old 04-28-2013, 06:55 PM

Liked: 15
@miicho

I have recently done a comparison between 818 and the pioneer 1522.

Pioneer Pros
1. Spectacular upscaling (zero adjustment required and it provided a much better image of my satellite, netflix and DVD) - smooth, sharp, beautiful colors. So if image is your primary requirement, the Pioneer is it. It not even close on this front. Even though the Onkyo has a great upscaling chip, despite my best attempts, tuning the color to pleasing levels was just not feasible. The skintones are just off and horrible.
2. Looks - Looks much nicer than the Onkyo.
3. Price - If you get the costco deal, you have a $200 cheaper receiver compared to the Onkyo ($100 if you go with the onecall open box deal for $699)
4. Pioneer reliability is generally considered better (I have my 10 years old vsx-45tx still working just fine), although the Onkyo 818 has been pretty decent
5. 9 channel amps (not an issue for me)
6. Runs cooler - May be a factor if you are placing it in a tight space.

Pioneer Cons
1. I think the Onkyo has a better sound for my preference. I know there are folks who prefer the digital amp sound of the pioneer, but I am not one of them. Onkyo has a more open sound, easier tuning with xt32. But for music, depending upon your speakers, the clean sound may be a bit grating. The high frequencies in the Pioneer seem more rounded.
2. Warranty - Pioneer has only a 1yr warranty, while Onkyo has a 2 year warranty
3. weight - Onkyo appears to be a more substantial amp since its heavier with more robust panels.

From my perspective, I am going to try to tune the sound on the pioneer since I cannot give up the image quality now that I have experienced it. The Onkyo is going back. The weird thing is that I seem to be getting used to the pioneer sound that it seems to be growing on me.

Hope this helps.
miicho likes this.
post #552 of 1737 Old 04-28-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petiteface View Post

@miicho

I have recently done a comparison between 818 and the pioneer 1522.

Pioneer Pros
1. Spectacular upscaling (zero adjustment required and it provided a much better image of my satellite, netflix and DVD) - smooth, sharp, beautiful colors. So if image is your primary requirement, the Pioneer is it. It not even close on this front. Even though the Onkyo has a great upscaling chip, despite my best attempts, tuning the color to pleasing levels was just not feasible. The skintones are just off and horrible.
2. Looks - Looks much nicer than the Onkyo.
3. Price - If you get the costco deal, you have a $200 cheaper receiver compared to the Onkyo ($100 if you go with the onecall open box deal for $699)
4. Pioneer reliability is generally considered better (I have my 10 years old vsx-45tx still working just fine), although the Onkyo 818 has been pretty decent
5. 9 channel amps (not an issue for me)
6. Runs cooler - May be a factor if you are placing it in a tight space.

Pioneer Cons
1. I think the Onkyo has a better sound for my preference. I know there are folks who prefer the digital amp sound of the pioneer, but I am not one of them. Onkyo has a more open sound, easier tuning with xt32. But for music, depending upon your speakers, the clean sound may be a bit grating. The high frequencies in the Pioneer seem more rounded.
2. Warranty - Pioneer has only a 1yr warranty, while Onkyo has a 2 year warranty
3. weight - Onkyo appears to be a more substantial amp since its heavier with more robust panels.

From my perspective, I am going to try to tune the sound on the pioneer since I cannot give up the image quality now that I have experienced it. The Onkyo is going back. The weird thing is that I seem to be getting used to the pioneer sound that it seems to be growing on me.

Hope this helps.
Thank you so much for your advice, The Pioneer it is... If i can find it in stock, tried a few costcos earlier with no luck,
post #553 of 1737 Old 04-29-2013, 07:08 AM

I couldn't agree more, I grabbed SC-1522 from Costco @ 599 but I think my Onkyo TX-SR705 sounds much better with MUSIC, the high frequencies of SC-1522 is making my music 'annoying' - hyper-active tweeter - I will try various adjustments and post back. Any thoughts on tweaking higher frequencies? Otherwise, I think SC-1522 is awesome
post #554 of 1737 Old 04-29-2013, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varan View Post

I couldn't agree more, I grabbed SC-1522 from Costco @ 599 but I think my Onkyo TX-SR705 sounds much better with MUSIC, the high frequencies of SC-1522 is making my music 'annoying' - hyper-active tweeter - I will try various adjustments and post back. Any thoughts on tweaking higher frequencies? Otherwise, I think SC-1522 is awesome

does it have a eq so you can tone down the higher frequencies?
post #555 of 1737 Old 04-29-2013, 08:42 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

does it have a eq so you can tone down the higher frequencies?
Yes.It does.

"Excuse me...What does God need with a Starship?" (Captain Kirk - Star Trek V: The Final Frontier)
post #556 of 1737 Old 04-29-2013, 08:54 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by petiteface View Post

@miicho

Pioneer Cons
3. weight - Onkyo appears to be a more substantial amp since it's heavier with more robust panels.

From my perspective, I am going to try to tune the sound on the pioneer since I cannot give up the image quality now that I have experienced it. The Onkyo is going back. The weird thing is that I seem to be getting so used to the pioneer sound that it seems to be growing on me.

Hope this helps.

1. I switched from an Onkyo also and feel that my Klipschs never sounded better than today. I'm not heavily into audio engineering and sound discernment (not denigrating those who are in the least!) To me this is a bit like wine tasting. But my new Pioneer made me feel I had finally arrived at the listening plateau I have been seeking since I visited a neighbor's house as a kid and was melted by the purity of his pre-stereo sound. I know there is probably better in the world but I don't think I'm worthy of it quite yet. In addition, my Onkyo had a habit of cranking in the L and R speakers as a function of volume, starting at a level too high to be subtle. Never could figure that out!

2. If you are fortunate enough to get the Costco deal, your warranty seems to me to be limited only by the percentage of rust visible on the Pioneer when you bring it back in. After a certain disintegration level you may need to speak to the store manager. No return postage either.

3. Up to the point where I find it difficult to place the device on a shelf by myself, this seems to be more of a "pro." Heavy transformers are worth their weight in iron. This isn't a Walkman.

We made a good choice.

Bob Sackett
post #557 of 1737 Old 04-29-2013, 10:17 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

I found something quite interesting with my converted LP music. Half of my LP collection was transferred to 320kps MP3s with my original 1982 Harman/Kardon T40 turntable and AT cartridge, with the other half being transferred with my new Rega RP1 turntable and Ortofon 5M cartridge. Surprisingly, with the Pioneer SC-1522-k's EQ system, the tracks recorded using the older H/K T40 sound much warmer, natural, and have much better low end than does the Rega/Ortofon combination. The high end on the Rega is much more pronounced and/or exaggerated, so much so that I have to turn the EQ off on the Pioneer in order to make it listenable. Now, I was aware going in that the Ortofon cartridge is a brighter sounding cartridge in general, but I didn't think it would be that much brighter. But it's nice that I can tweak the playback sound with my Pioneer to make the overly bright recordings listenable. I'm a bit old school when it comes to audio (I still have a 3-head cassette deck and VCR!), but I have to admit I do like the flexibility and convenience of using my iPod Touch 4G to play my LP library on my Pioneer!

Oh, and one other thing...this past weekend I watched "Super 8" on Blu-Ray with the Dolby TrueHD soundtrack and MAN was that awesome sounding on the Pioneer. WOW! Certain scenes when glass was shattering, it sound like MY windows were the ones that were breaking! This Pioneer does WAY more than I'll ever use or need it for, but what it does right is get the sound right, has a great auto cal/room correction feature, and has excellent sound processing for the money.
post #558 of 1737 Old 04-29-2013, 04:58 PM

Does anyone know if there is a built in DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) to automatically enhance (warm up) digital tracks, from Ipods etc?
post #559 of 1737 Old 04-29-2013, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim90068 View Post

Does anyone know if the is a built in DAC to warm up digital tracks, from Ipods etc?

hope your question makes sense to somebody because it sure isn't worded well. what are you really trying to ask?

Steve
post #560 of 1737 Old 04-29-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

hope your question makes sense to somebody because it sure isn't worded well. what are you really trying to ask?

I think the should be "there".

Does anyone know if "there" is a built in DAC to warm up digital tracks...
post #561 of 1737 Old 04-29-2013, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 222
The Auto Sound Retriever mode is what you are looking for. It is not a DAC (never heard of the need of any special DAC for that). But rather a DSP processing.
post #562 of 1737 Old 04-30-2013, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Has anyone else noticed when alc is turned on that the decoding switches to the signal coming in? I.E. listening to pro logic from a stereo signal from netflix works but when alc is turned on the AVR goes to stereo mode and I was listening to the Neo X "enhanced" 7.1 track on The Expendables 2 in a Neo X mode then turning on the alc the AVR went to the standard DTS HD MASTER decoding. Seems that one can not listen to a decoding scheme for heights or wides along with the addition on the alc processing. Anyone else notice this or am I missing something?

toddRiffic

post #563 of 1737 Old 04-30-2013, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Isn't ALC command on the same button as Auto? So in order to get to ALC (Auto->ALC->Direct->Pure Direct), you need to go through Auto Surround first which will take you out of whatever processing you set on?
post #564 of 1737 Old 04-30-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:

Did you try adjusting the EQ in the higher frequencies down a notch or two?

That is something the 1522k gives you that Audyssey receivers do not. You can manually adjust any of the various EQ settings to your liking.
post #565 of 1737 Old 04-30-2013, 12:27 PM

Quick question...Does anyones speakers pop slightly when powering off their 1522? Also, every time I've run MCACC, my right rear speaker has made a secondary popping during the delay check I believe. Whichever test has the constant popping sounds, it has two or three quieter popping sounds in between the regular sounds about three or four in (almost like an echo). No other speaker does this and then today when I was queuing up a Blu Ray in my PS3, the same speaker popped a few times when the movie was going between menus and previews (would pop when the listening mode was changing). I doubt it's the speaker and I have yet to move another over and try simply because I have towers and it's aggravating. Could this be a problem in the amp? I'm just wondering if I should try and exchange this one before my Costco runs out. Any help would be appreciated.
post #566 of 1737 Old 04-30-2013, 12:42 PM
osv
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguyhileman View Post

Quick question...Does anyones speakers pop slightly when powering off their 1522? Also, every time I've run MCACC, my right rear speaker has made a secondary popping during the delay check I believe. .

swap rear speaker wires on the back of the receiver, if the problem goes to the other speaker, it may not be a speaker problem.

post #567 of 1737 Old 04-30-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Isn't ALC command on the same button as Auto? So in order to get to ALC (Auto->ALC->Direct->Pure Direct), you need to go through Auto Surround first which will take you out of whatever processing you set on?

Yeah I would like to apply alc to any surround mode like audyssey dynamic eq/vol could on my old AVR.

toddRiffic

post #568 of 1737 Old 04-30-2013, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddRiffic View Post

Yeah I would like to apply alc to any surround mode like audyssey dynamic eq/vol could on my old AVR.

It is a hint that ALC button is not stand alone. It appears that it is not possible to do you want above. I have tried using a discrete ALC command and it will turn off all processing.
post #569 of 1737 Old 04-30-2013, 03:39 PM

You can set up an account at radio-pioneer.com and make a favorites folder. You receiver will find this and use them.
post #570 of 1737 Old 04-30-2013, 03:42 PM

Is anyone else having trouble with Airplay. I can see the receiver on the network and stream files off my PCs hard drive but neither iTunes nor an iPhone will recognize the receiver for Airplay.

Thanks.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Sc 1522k 9 2 Channel Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - 1522k by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page