*Official* Pioneer SC-1522 9.2 Network ready AV receiver owners thread - Page 23 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #661 of 1738 Old 05-04-2013, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
-GusGus748s I have it on "direct" right now. But I did try ext. stereo and I'm guessing that my expectation is that where the sub setting is at it "boom" when I play bluray but playing the other formats it really subtle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 1738 Old 05-04-2013, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needis View Post

-GusGus748s I have it on "direct" right now. But I did try ext. stereo and I'm guessing that my expectation is that where the sub setting is at it "boom" when I play bluray but playing the other formats it really subtle.

Sound will vary on speaker and audio setting set up. Mine sounds good with movies n music.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Theater Set Up:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #663 of 1738 Old 05-04-2013, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needis View Post

When you use direct mode, it will bypass all the processing (with exception of speaker levels and delays IIRC) . So your 2.0 Pandora source will not drive sub at all, only the L and R speaker. That's what direct mode means. Blurays typically has .1 LFE channels and hence will have some or all LFEs go to subwoofer.

Why do you chose direct mode anyway? It renders MCACC room collection useless. It is design for audiophiles that has 5 tower speakers in a perfect sounding room and don't want any processing from the receiver.
post #664 of 1738 Old 05-04-2013, 01:16 PM

Liked: 11
My little knowledge of what I believed "direct" was. Thanks for the correction. I'm trying out "neo x music" and " F S surr sound" setting and I'm enjoying how they sound with different music.
post #665 of 1738 Old 05-04-2013, 01:31 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

yours is still there...a few post back

to your problems, I would 1st recommend you check the FW version in the receiver to make sure the update went OK and you really do have the version you installed. do you get music from Pandora on your PC? if yes, that isolates it to the receiver.

then I suggest doing the factory reset as outlined in the manual which will restore everything to default settings. that means you'll have to re-do MCACC & any input assignments, etc you made. this will also wipe out network settings so you'll have a clean slate. before investing any time on MCACC though, I would try all your network settings, reset Pandora & see if you have connectivity, IP addresses, etc. reboot your router, and you may want to reboot cable modem so that you get a new IP address from your provider.

if still problems, I have to ask, do you have a conventional cable modem & separate router or do you have one of the combination modem-router gateways? U-verse, some Comcast areas among others are sending out combo all-in-one devices that are causing problems with some receivers & networked AV gear, not only Pioneer but also Denon & I think Marantz. Cisco, Motorola are some makes but there may be others. if you do have one of the combo gateways, I'd try a conventional router from Netgear, Linksys, DLink etc, plug it into the gateway or call your cable co & insist on a conventional separate modem & get your own router.

and you definitely should call Pioneer to report the problem, just in case you have to send to a service center for warranty repair. but if you haven't had it too long, ask your dealer to swap you for a new one. the store may be willing to do that & you won't have to deal with a repair.

Thanks, I deleted the last post. I can't check the firmware. Anything to do with the network is blocked out. The only thing I can go to is IP address, Proxy and it just has a screen saying "AV Receiver, Network Setup, Applying Settings. It's been like that for about 3+ hours. I've plugged and replugged the adapter, tried to detect through and on-line manual, turned it off and back on, still nothing. All our other phones and computers are working. We do have comcast but we are using our own wireless router. As I mentioned this was working fine until today on our systems. Perhaps as you suggest next is a factory reset. Maybe tomorrow for that. This is too maddening to waste more time on today.
post #666 of 1738 Old 05-04-2013, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by newavsmember View Post

Yes it is iControlAV2013 that I was able to connect to SC-1522K. Although I have not used any of the features. My goal was just to have the App recognize the receiver which it did.

Mitz DLP 73740
Pioneer SC 1222K
Pioneer BDP 150
Apple I Pad Retina
Fronts Cerwin Vega AT-12
Center JBL Northridge EC-35
Surround Rear JBL CST-56
Surround Back Advent
post #667 of 1738 Old 05-04-2013, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No problem. There is also a Pure Direct mode which bypasses even speaker levels and delay settings. In either mode, bass management is not engaged. So, for those owners who complain about MCACC makes their speakers sound terrible, try out the Direct or Pure Direct mode. That's an easy way to turn off all MCACC calibrations and bass management for comparison.
post #668 of 1738 Old 05-04-2013, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1snob View Post

Thanks, I deleted the last post. I can't check the firmware. Anything to do with the network is blocked out. The only thing I can go to is IP address, Proxy and it just has a screen saying "AV Receiver, Network Setup, Applying Settings. It's been like that for about 3+ hours. I've plugged and replugged the adapter, tried to detect through and on-line manual, turned it off and back on, still nothing. All our other phones and computers are working. We do have comcast but we are using our own wireless router. As I mentioned this was working fine until today on our systems. Perhaps as you suggest next is a factory reset. Maybe tomorrow for that. This is too maddening to waste more time on today.

Did you try connect your wireless adapter to a PC to make sure it is indeed connected to the network? Sounds like you have a network problem.
post #669 of 1738 Old 05-04-2013, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguyhileman View Post

I'm using icontrolav2013 also successfully with no problems with the 1522.

I just tried the Android version of iControlAV2013 and it won't control SC-1522 at all. Maybe iOS version can but Android version won't.
post #670 of 1738 Old 05-04-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newavsmember View Post

Yes it is iControlAV2013 that I was able to connect to SC-1522K. Although I have not used any of the features. My goal was just to have the App recognize the receiver which it did.

Opps hit reply button

My 1222 does the same thing. It will recognize the 1222. But you can not control anything with it.

I understand that icontrolav 2013 app is currently designed for some of the 2013 model year. Just curious, anyone else that can actual control their 1522 with this app.

I had emailed pioneer tech support to consider making their current app usable with past model year AVR's. i realize that some of the features may not be supported. But some would. The way they follow the model years with the app is confusing for some customers and the older apps seem to be forgotten by pioneer.

One example for me is I own both a 1222 and a pioneer bdp 150 bluray player. The way it is now. The icontrolav 2013 is able to control my bdp 150 bluray player. But unable to control my 1222. Not sure what their reasoning is for this. Pioneer did reply that they would send my email to engineering for consideration.

That is why I'm asking to confirm if some posters are able to control their 1522 with icontrol2013. Possibly pioneer is addressing this.

Mitz DLP 73740
Pioneer SC 1222K
Pioneer BDP 150
Apple I Pad Retina
Fronts Cerwin Vega AT-12
Surround Rear JBL CST-56
Surround Back Advent
post #671 of 1738 Old 05-04-2013, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

No problem. There is also a Pure Direct mode which bypasses even speaker levels and delay settings. In either mode, bass management is not engaged. So, for those owners who complain about MCACC makes their speakers sound terrible, try out the Direct or Pure Direct mode. That's an easy way to turn off all MCACC calibrations and bass management for comparison.

Then go here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1112470/official-pioneer-mcacc-thread

Downloadable FREE demo discs:

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #672 of 1738 Old 05-04-2013, 02:36 PM

Liked: 14
Yes, I can control my 1522 with icontrolav2013.
post #673 of 1738 Old 05-04-2013, 02:50 PM

Thats great news. Sounds like Pioneer is updating the AVR models that will work with the icontrolav 2013 app. Hopefully they will add the 1222 soon.

Thank you for your post....

Mitz DLP 73740
Pioneer SC 1222K
Pioneer BDP 150
Apple I Pad Retina
Fronts Cerwin Vega AT-12
Surround Rear JBL CST-56
Surround Back Advent
post #674 of 1738 Old 05-04-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:

Did you try connect your wireless adapter to a PC to make sure it is indeed connected to the network? Sounds like you have a network problem.

Thanks for the suggestion. Based on this, I plugged it into my laptop, turned off wireless, resynched the adapter and it worked right away. Plugged back into receiver, resynched (have the solid green light) and nothing.. I can not get to any network settings or setup and still have the "applying settings" screen.

Thanks for the help, folks. I will try the reset next.
post #675 of 1738 Old 05-04-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguyhileman View Post

Yes, I can control my 1522 with icontrolav2013.

Are you using an apple ipad.

Mitz DLP 73740
Pioneer SC 1222K
Pioneer BDP 150
Apple I Pad Retina
Fronts Cerwin Vega AT-12
Surround Rear JBL CST-56
Surround Back Advent
post #676 of 1738 Old 05-04-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNEWoLF View Post

Are you using an apple ipad.

iPhone 5
post #677 of 1738 Old 05-04-2013, 03:43 PM

Good to know, thank you.

Mitz DLP 73740
Pioneer SC 1222K
Pioneer BDP 150
Apple I Pad Retina
Fronts Cerwin Vega AT-12
Surround Rear JBL CST-56
Surround Back Advent
post #678 of 1738 Old 05-04-2013, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:

I can't check the firmware. Anything to do with the network is blocked out.

sure you can. checking the FW version in the receiver has nothing to do with the network nor requires a network connection. it's a menu item in the receiver.

check pg 87 in your manual Other Settings. you'll be able to see it on the receiver or TV.

no offense, but it sounds to me that you should familiarize yourself more with the manual before diving in to update FW, etc. I realize you have a projector and all, but if it worked OK why did you change it to begin with? I have to ask wink.gif and if you did make a change & then things stopped working, like you posted, then why didn't you change those settings back to what they were to begin with before trying FW updates, powering it off, having it stuck now? maybe you did & then it got stuck but that's not what I read...if I'm wrong then I apologize for asking the "hard" questions smile.gif

and if you had read Pioneer's web site for updating FW, they clearly say USB flash only. no internet updating for every release they've posted. and the need to redo your Pandora setup with each update.

try the factory reset. if that doesn't work, then I don't know what to tell you except call Pioneer. hopefully, the reset to default will clear the memory and you can get back to ground zero smile.gif

good luck & I'm not being critical per se, but it's clear that you don't completely understand how your receiver works if you thought you needed network access to check its FW version.

Steve
post #679 of 1738 Old 05-04-2013, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 36
The iControlapp 2013 does work on the 1522K to switch inputs and adjust the volume. It may be able to do more but I haven't checked much more yet.
I did notice that it won't give input and output info. ( color format, audio freq., video resolution...).

So it appears that the 2013 app can control the basic functions that haven't changed between 2012 & 2013. I'm using the app on an iPad3

post #680 of 1738 Old 05-04-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skriefal View Post

That statement does not necessarily suggest that LFE will be routed to the mains. They may be (and probably are) referring to the fact that none of the content from the mains would be routed to the (absent) subwoofer, and thus the mains "will output full frequencies".

I have been experimenting running the Tritons with the LFE input and just the binding posts. It seems I get more bass with the LFE input and the speakers set to small and this is even with 2.0 material using airplay. I think it may have to do with the gain being higher in the LFE output but I'm not certain.
post #681 of 1738 Old 05-05-2013, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
So is there no way to repeat or shuffle music using the app? Doesn't seem like a hard thing to do but I can't figure out how...
post #682 of 1738 Old 05-05-2013, 06:34 AM

Quote:

sure you can. checking the FW version in the receiver has nothing to do with the network nor requires a network connection. it's a menu item in the receiver.

check pg 87 in your manual Other Settings. you'll be able to see it on the receiver or TV.

no offense, but it sounds to me that you should familiarize yourself more with the manual before diving in to update FW, etc. I realize you have a projector and all, but if it worked OK why did you change it to begin with? I have to ask wink.gif and if you did make a change & then things stopped working, like you posted, then why didn't you change those settings back to what they were to begin with before trying FW updates, powering it off, having it stuck now? maybe you did & then it got stuck but that's not what I read...if I'm wrong then I apologize for asking the "hard" questions smile.gif

and if you had read Pioneer's web site for updating FW, they clearly say USB flash only. no internet updating for every release they've posted. and the need to redo your Pandora setup with each update.

try the factory reset. if that doesn't work, then I don't know what to tell you except call Pioneer. hopefully, the reset to default will clear the memory and you can get back to ground zero smile.gif

good luck & I'm not being critical per se, but it's clear that you don't completely understand how your receiver works if you thought you needed network access to check its FW version.

No offense taken my friend. I can not check the fw, it is blocked out as I said. I did read the manual and did the update with USB, as I said in one of my posts. It worked for a couple weeks. When I bought it I did check for updates via the network and it said is was up to date. When Pandora did not work I went to the Pioneer website and saw the USB update. I followed the steps and was up and running right away.

I am not an internet or tech engineer. I do not know what all the stuff means. the manual does not explain it either. It does not explain DHCP or proxy's what ever, it just says to turn it on or off. I do know systematic ways to check things. I did not just start changing things while it was working. Since it did not work yesterday I was systematically changing the settings and changing them back if it did not correct. And you're right, I do not know how this thing works. I am not new to receivers or stereos and have set up many systems for myself and others. I have been through the interactive manual many times, read through the on-line stuff and we even printed all 123 pages of the manual. It does not explain how to correct this.

Since I have the software update on the USB still, I think I will plug that in again instead of the total reset. Oh, scratch that, I can't get to software update it's blocked out.

Page 87 in my manual is MCACC settings. Software updates and version instructions are on page 97 in my manual. I think that's what you meant.

Thanks all for the help.
post #683 of 1738 Old 05-05-2013, 07:31 AM

Do you have the receiver operation mode set to 'expert' or 'basic'? I know in the Basic mode many options are grayed out including Network. When in expert mode all options are available.
post #684 of 1738 Old 05-05-2013, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

^^
OK...glad you made some things clear smile.gif

first, do not enable proxy server. that is special form of networked "web" server setup that a normal household would NOT have. if you enabled it, that may have been the or part of the problem. it's now looking for something that isn't there. you should also NOT do port forwarding & you should leave the receiver with DHCP turned ON unless you know how to use static IP addresses.

and I would not try to update the FW again before you try a factory reset. if the update you already did went to completion & the receiver worked, then the receiver would not accept the same version again...it would say it was already updated.

my advice, given for the 3rd time, is to try a factory reset using the buttons on the front panel - this is described in the manual on page 76. Resetting the System:

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01

and if this doesn't clear the goofed up network settings, then set it to:

remove any IP address you entered and make sure DHCP is turned ON. the IP addresses should then grey out. reboot the router, let it re-discover the receiver & assign an address. DHCP means the receiver will automatically get its IP address from your router, just like your router uses DHCP to automatically get its IP address from your cable modem - internet provider. Turning DHCP off means you will enter your own static IP address & will also have to configure the router to use that same IP address for your receiver. if the IP addresses are not the same, with the same subnet mask (most typically for home use is 255.0.0.0 or whatever your router says) then absolutely NO connection will occur between the receiver & router - a broken network connection - which may be what happened to you.

Proxy Server - OFF
Parental Lock - OFF
Network Standby - probably OFF but I don't know what the default setting is for sure

remove any Friendly Name you entered if any

the manual DOES explain all this but it assumes the user knows basic networking, the lingo & what these settings do. if you didn't know what they do or understand what they even mean, then you should have left them alone!

it is NOT Pioneer's responsibility to teach people networking, since this is computer/IT/networking realmy & you can either take basic networking classes, buy a Home Networking for Dummies kind of book on basics or get instructions on how to use routers, etc from the company that makes the networking gear.

My advice to you going forward is once you get it straightened out, DON"T CHANGE working network settings! leave them set at factory defaults! the only settings you should touch are those specifically needed for using Pandora...check the manual, I don't use Pandora so don't know off the top of my head what these are but you set them up once to use Pandora.

Your initial problem sounds like a Pandora setup issue, and once again, it is NOT Pioneer's job to tell you how to troubleshoot your Pandora setup & account.. You should contact Pandora, go to their tech support web site for help or call Pioneer.

Plugging in players, cable, etc are pretty straight-forward conventional use of a receiver. But randomly changing network settings, on the computer IT side of things, when you don't even know what they mean isn't a smart thing to do.

Since nobody knows exactly what you changed, no one can say with certainty what will make it connect again to your home network. That's why I tell you to forget turning it off & on, which won't accomplish a dam thing, or trying your FW update again. just do the reset first, get back to ground zero and see if you can get it to connect again.

keep us posted so once you do the reset, someone who knows Pandora might be of help. but you have to restore network connectivity first. after reset you'll need to re-do MCACC, etc, but this can wait until after you make sure you got connectivity again. NOTE: factory reset will probably not automatically make Pandora work again; for that, you'll need to set it up again for Pandora just like you did the 1st time.

Steve
post #685 of 1738 Old 05-05-2013, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldread View Post

Do you have the receiver operation mode set to 'expert' or 'basic'? I know in the Basic mode many options are grayed out including Network. When in expert mode all options are available.

a very good point, I missed that one. He may have changed to Basic then can't access whatever it is he changed.

Steve
post #686 of 1738 Old 05-05-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:

^^
OK...glad you made some things clear smile.gif

first, do not enable proxy server. that is special form of networked "web" server setup that a normal household would NOT have. if you enabled it, that may have been the or part of the problem. it's now looking for something that isn't there.

and I would not try to update the FW again. if the update you already did went to completion & the receiver worked, then the receiver would not accept the same version again...it would say it was already updated.

my advice, given for the 3rd time, is to try a factory reset using the buttons on the front panel - this is described in the manual on page 76. Resetting the System:

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01

and if this doesn't clear the goofed up network settings, then set it to:

remove any IP address you entered and make sure DHCP is turned ON. the IP addresses should then grey out. reboot the router, let it re-discover the receiver & assign an address. DHCP means the receiver will automatically get its IP address from your router, just like your router uses DHCP to automatically get its IP address from your cable modem - internet provider. Turning DHCP off means you will enter your own static IP address & will also have to configure the router to use that same IP address for your receiver. if the IP addresses are not the same, with the same subnet mask (most typically for home use is 255.0.0.0 or whatever your router says) then absolutely NO connection will occur between the receiver & router - a broken network connection - which may be what happened to you.

Proxy Server - OFF
Parental Lock - OFF
Network Standby - probably OFF but I don't know what the default setting is for sure

remove any Friendly Name you entered if any

the manual DOES explain all this but it assumes the user knows basic networking, the lingo & what these settings do. if you didn't know what they do or understand what they even mean, then you should have left them alone!

it is NOT Pioneer's responsibility to teach people networking, since this is computer/IT/networking realmy & you can either take basic networking classes, buy a Home Networking for Dummies kind of book on basics or get instructions on how to use routers, etc from the company that makes the networking gear.

My advice to you going forward is once you get it straightened out, DON"T CHANGE working network settings! leave them set at factory defaults! the only settings you should touch are those specifically needed for using Pandora...check the manual, I don't use Pandora so don't know off the top of my head what these are but you set them up once to use Pandora.

Your initial problem sounds like a Pandora setup issue, and once again, it is NOT Pioneer's job to tell you how to do that. You should contact Pandora, or go to their tech support web site.

Plugging in players, cable, etc are pretty straight-forward conventional use of a receiver. But randomly changing network settings, on the computer IT side of things, when you don't even know what they mean isn't a smart thing to do.

Since nobody knows exactly what you changed, no one can say with certainty what will make it connect again to your home network. That's why I tell you to forget turning it off & on, which won't accomplish a dam thing, or trying your FW update again. just do the reset first, get back to ground zero and see if you can get it to connect again.

keep us posted so once you do the reset, someone who knows Pandora might be of help. but you have to restore network connectivity first. after reset you'll need to re-do MCACC, etc, but this can wait until after you make sure you got connectivity again. NOTE: factory reset will probably not automatically make Pandora work again; for that, you'll need to set it up again for Pandora just like you did the 1st time.

Thanks for all the help. I hate clogging the forum with useless posts. I did the factory rest, took a few seconds. Pandora was up right away. Didn't have to do any more updates. Was on the network with no additional adjustments or changes. I AM NOT EVEN GOING TO GO TO THE SCREEN. LOL. I just had to reenter my user name and password.

Now back to all my speaker settings, EQ's and inputs. That's the simple part.

Thanks again for your help and patience.
post #687 of 1738 Old 05-05-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:

I know Android version of iControlAV2 is not compatible with this receiver. You should uninstall it and try the 2012 version again. There is nothing you can do to make the old app work.
Quote:

Definitely a cable problem. Anything over 15ft will require specialized cable. Good luck.

FoxBat121,
I thought the limit was closer to 30FT without issues, and up to 40 or 50 FT can be okay with the right "standard" cables. Redmere cables will probably be a help for those who are seeing strange issues.

Best thing would be to try a shorter cable, without changing anything else, and see if it works. There are digital connections, so it will either work for you, or not.
If you have a connection that shows up, and then goes away, or "sparkles", you are probably at the limit and need to do something else.

FWIW, I wasn't paying enough attention to cable lengths when I setup my system, and ended up with a 50FT run and a 35FT run to my televisions. I did end up getting very high quality MediaBridge CL3 rated HDMI that is rated to support up ARC and 3D, and I haven't had any issues at all with either TV.

I keep reading on here my cables are too long, and I have been on the Monoprice website with some Redmere cables in the cart several times, but just can't justify doing this yet since I am not seeing any issues..
post #688 of 1738 Old 05-05-2013, 08:56 AM

I ordered some redmere to see what happens. If they don't solve the problem, then I'll return them. I did have an hdmi switch before since my previous receiver didn't have hdmi. I experienced similar issues with it so it seems the cables have to be the problem. I can't really try another shorter cable since all my equipment is mounted away in a closet.
post #689 of 1738 Old 05-05-2013, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for all the help. I hate clogging the forum with useless posts. I did the factory rest, took a few seconds. Pandora was up right away. Didn't have to do any more updates. Was on the network with no additional adjustments or changes. I AM NOT EVEN GOING TO GO TO THE SCREEN. LOL. I just had to reenter my user name and password.

Now back to all my speaker settings, EQ's and inputs. That's the simple part.

Thanks again for your help and patience.

hey glad you got it back! biggrin.gif congratulations. I figured that was the best shot at getting you back in business. sorry I got preachy but as you found out, modern receivers are complex wink.gif

I know how frustrating it can get when things don't go right and it looks "broken".

Steve
post #690 of 1738 Old 05-05-2013, 11:17 AM

All,
I am new to the modern receiver with auto-calibration, so I was hoping for a little advice. I am running Klipsch La Scalas with this receiver and I would like to try the MCACC feature, but I am concerned that playing test tones at reference level will damage my horns. What is the risk?

Thanks!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Sc 1522k 9 2 Channel Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - 1522k by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page