*Official* Pioneer SC-1522 9.2 Network ready AV receiver owners thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1755 Old 05-08-2013, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeloxlong View Post

Sooo, from Pioneer's website:
Does this mean I cannot airplay videos? It will just airplay music?

It wont Airplay video - only audio from what i tried. i might try other means later in week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1755 Old 05-08-2013, 02:55 PM

Need advice on a goid center speaker and subwoifer to go with this reciever
post #723 of 1755 Old 05-08-2013, 02:55 PM

Need advice on a goid center speaker and subwoifer to go with this reciever
post #724 of 1755 Old 05-08-2013, 04:43 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by red fuji View Post

It wont Airplay video - only audio from what i tried. i might try other means later in week.

From what I've read on this forum, and my own experience, Airplay video is only available on Apple TV because of limitations Apple made to it. Is this right?

Bob Sackett
post #725 of 1755 Old 05-08-2013, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Even with DLNA, a much common standard streaming service unlike Apple's Air play, this receiver won't stream any video either.
post #726 of 1755 Old 05-08-2013, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

I tried to Airplay an Amazon rented movie from Ipad to Apple Tv to Receiver and it didnt work. I probably should have rented the movie from itunes-that would have probably worked,
I don't use Apple TV, I intend to use an Android media streamer with my avr. But just so I understand, You're streaming from Ipad to Apple tv which is connected to the avr via what (hdmi, ypbr,wireless)? and it doesn't play the video??? Does it play video that's not being streamed from another device? Does it play video stored in a hdd connected to apple tv? Does it play ANY video??

I gave up trying hdmi and mhl video with my laptop and Galaxy S3 but was hoping I could connect a Dune or something similar. Somebody wrote somewhere that they got video from a Roku via hdmi.

Unrelated...... IcontrolAV2013 works almost flawlessly on Iphone4, The only glitch I can find, it won't press enter to choose the internet station i want to listen to. Otherwise a great app.
post #727 of 1755 Old 05-08-2013, 09:48 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

HDMI handshaking is very sensitive to order. You will probably need to turn the projector on first, then the AVR, then the computer.

As a followup, I attempted to start up in this order tonight but unfortunately the no audio issue persists with the Nvidia 4200M --> 1522k --> JVC Projector chain. It must be a conflict with this particular combination since all other combinations work. Oh well.

Now past the drywall hump - Arizona Basement Build

post #728 of 1755 Old 05-08-2013, 10:02 PM

Is it possible to hook up the laptop to front HDMI and extend the display on to TV? I tried but the laptop did not detect the second display.
post #729 of 1755 Old 05-09-2013, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLI View Post

My apologies if this has already been answered but after getting thru page 7, I'm giving up. Did this gentleman's question get answered?

I've got the same receiver (HK AVR 7200), love the sound, really nothing "wrong" with my setup but all this attention being lathered on top of this Pioneer and the price at Costco has me wondering if it's time to finally swap out.

With that, do ANY of you think it would be prudent to actually run a 9.2 setup? My basement would need to cut in two additional ceiling speakers to accommodate and I'm not sure if it'd be worth it or not.

thx!
IF I pick one up, I'll be happy to share the Klipsch/Pioneer experience. This thread is killing me!

I also own HK (AVR 745) and love the full / rich sound, especially, the Logic 7. So my first impression of SC-1522-k pairing with either Infinity or Klipsch speakers was a bit tiny sound; however after MCACC calibration and with some manual adjustments, I can say that the Ext. Stereo is pretty close to the Logic 7 (for the music anyway).
I find that MCACC is easier to use than the EQ tool that comes with HK.

As for the 9.2 setup, I am not sure if it's worth the trouble. I tested 7.2 setup, but settled for 5.2 and I am very happy with it.
post #730 of 1755 Old 05-09-2013, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post

I want floor standing speakers. Space is not an issue the room is 22x19 and carpeted and opens to the kitchen. It has to look nice though wife likes the piano black finish.

If you haven't picked one up yet, I'd say take your wife to audition Klipsch speakers. I was in the same position until I took my wife to listen to a pair. She picked the sound over the color smile.gif
post #731 of 1755 Old 05-09-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millil View Post

Is it possible to hook up the laptop to front HDMI and extend the display on to TV? I tried but the laptop did not detect the second display.

i have had no problems with my laptop.
post #732 of 1755 Old 05-09-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenyle View Post

i have had no problems with my laptop.

How do you connect it? Any settings need to be changed?
post #733 of 1755 Old 05-09-2013, 10:26 AM

Liked: 12
I'm running a 5.1 setup with a ps3 and Directv dvr. Everything that comes from the ps3 shows as PCM on my receiver. I'm sure it's a simple setting that I'm missing. What should I check, I'm tired of looking through the manual?
post #734 of 1755 Old 05-09-2013, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakRam View Post

I'm running a 5.1 setup with a ps3 and Directv dvr. Everything that comes from the ps3 shows as PCM on my receiver. I'm sure it's a simple setting that I'm missing. What should I check, I'm tired of looking through the manual?

Simple, go to your PS3 Audio setting and change it from PCH to bitstreaming.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #735 of 1755 Old 05-09-2013, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

What version of PS3 do you have? I believe you have two options...let the PS3 decode and send to receiver as PCM or let the receiver encode. For instance, I have the original fat one and the only way for me to have DTS-HD is by letting the PS3 decode it and send as PCM. If you have a later version, I believe you can force the PS3 to allow the receiver to do the encoding.
post #736 of 1755 Old 05-09-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

My experiment with mobile phone connection (my phone is HTC One X AT&T version with latest JB update, Android) so far:

1. HTC Connect (you need the latest firmware): there is very little information on how this works and how to set it up. It doesn't show up in HTC MediaLink HD device list.

2. MHL: connected the MHL cable provided in the box to my HTX One X and nothing happens. According to the manual it should charge the phone and start MHL operation. My phone does work with my other MHL cable (you need connect a charger to that) that converts to standard HDMI port. Tried the same Pioneer MHL cable to my other phone, Nokia Lumia 920, and it flips through charging and then non-charging quickly. I guess it is due the fact that Lumia 920 does not support MHL at all. So, it appears that the MHL cable is not the problem.

So, that's two out of two mobile connection features not working for me.

Update: I have figured out how HTC connect works:

You need to use the HTC Music app. While playing a song, use three finger swipe up and it will play on the receiver. It plays music only, no video. And won't show up in MediaLink HD device list.

Foxbat were you able to figure out playing Video using MHL? When Galaxy SII is connected with MHL cable given, It does charge and i was able to play the video too ( from youtube app). But the tranmission is not consisetn. Works few seconds and then completely off. I do have the latest firmware.

Sorry if this was answered but couldn't find it.
post #737 of 1755 Old 05-09-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:

I used to like PL2x for all my processing on my old receiver. But this receiver also supports DTS Neo.X. So recently, I use Neo.X all the time. You can see Neo X disscussion here http://www.avsforum.com/t/1305065/dts-neo-x.

Thanks for that. Interesting discussion. I'm still trying to get to the part where they discuss the mechanics of _how_ it does the processing from a 2 or 5.1 source. I assume this is the same whether the source is lossy or lossless, correct? I did try it out last night and really liked what I heard. Similar to my old Onkyo 805, I guess I just tend to prefer the DTS processing/upmixing over the equivalents. In the case of my 805 with 5.1 setup, I tended to use either Neural THX or Neo:6 over DPLII for 2 ch sources. Is there an equivalent of the Neural THX that will take 2 or 5.1 sources and upmix for 7.1 speakers on the sc1522k?

I wish the 1522 manual better articulated the available modes/sources listings. The Onkyo manual had a full three pages with a very easy to digest matrix showing which processing modes could be used with which speaker combinations and sources.

I tend to be a "set it and forget it" kind of guy, so I'm trying to figure out which one (DTS:X, Optimum Surround, DPLIIx, THX Cinema, etc) is really the best solution among the set of most sources/situations, and just leave it there.
post #738 of 1755 Old 05-09-2013, 11:13 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Simple, go to your PS3 Audio setting and change it from PCH to bitstreaming.
Found it...it was under video settings. Now speakers are showing correct and audio is not showing PCM...except games are still PCM. So when it was showing just PCM on avr display, was it putting out best possible audio since it's on auto select? Or do I need to see some kind of Dolby/DTS on the display?
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguyhileman View Post

What version of PS3 do you have? I believe you have two options...let the PS3 decode and send to receiver as PCM or let the receiver encode. For instance, I have the original fat one and the only way for me to have DTS-HD is by letting the PS3 decode it and send as PCM. If you have a later version, I believe you can force the PS3 to allow the receiver to do the encoding.
I have the fat one also. So does the avr display DTS-HD and not PCM?
post #739 of 1755 Old 05-09-2013, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Found it...it was under video settings. Now speakers are showing correct and audio is not showing PCM...except games are still PCM. So when it was showing just PCM on avr display, was it putting out best possible audio since it's on auto select? Or do I need to see some kind of Dolby/DTS on the display?
I have the fat one also. So does the avr display DTS-HD and not PCM?

The original fat PS3 can't bitstream lossless HD audio. So, you will have to let PS3 decode and your receiver will show PCM only. To bitstream HD audio, you need newer versions of PS3.
post #740 of 1755 Old 05-09-2013, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newavsmember View Post

Foxbat were you able to figure out playing Video using MHL? When Galaxy SII is connected with MHL cable given, It does charge and i was able to play the video too ( from youtube app). But the tranmission is not consisetn. Works few seconds and then completely off. I do have the latest firmware.

Sorry if this was answered but couldn't find it.

No, my HTX One X won't recognize it as connected to MHL. I will have to re-test it once I get a new phone.
post #741 of 1755 Old 05-09-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millil View Post

How do you connect it? Any settings need to be changed?
The front input is only for MHL ready devices. I connect the laptop to the BD input in the back and it is running windows 7. i open mobility center and said connect external display.
post #742 of 1755 Old 05-09-2013, 11:40 AM

Could someone please recommend a good subwoofer and and a center channel to go with this receiver.

I am currently looking at these
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015A8Y3E/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AED492BX4II6G
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015A8Y5M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AED492BX4II6G
post #743 of 1755 Old 05-09-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:

No, my HTX One X won't recognize it as connected to MHL. I will have to re-test it once I get a new phone.

OK, Would love to hear if any others were able to use the MHL especially with Galaxy S II.
post #744 of 1755 Old 05-09-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:

I see you have a Apple TV. Why not just mirror the ipad when using Apple TV? This way, you get video and audio.
Quote:

Could someone please recommend a good subwoofer and and a center channel to go with this receiver.

I am currently looking at these
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015A8Y3E/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AED492BX4II6G
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015A8Y5M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AED492BX4II6G

For the center channel, You should probably stay with the same model of your left and right speakers. This way there will be a seamless transition between the three (tone). A lot of members are running the Klipsch rdw12. I run two in my room and they are more than adequate. If you wanna spend a bit more, look at the online direct companies (just look below for them).
post #745 of 1755 Old 05-09-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:

The front input is only for MHL ready devices. I connect the laptop to the BD input in the back and it is running windows 7. i open mobility center and said connect external display.

Interesting...the manual says HDMI equipped component can be connected to front hdmi input(camcorder is given as an example). Will check out the rear port to rule out if it is the laptop/front port issue.
post #746 of 1755 Old 05-09-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguyhileman View Post

Just to be sure...you get sound from the headphone jack along with the mains continuing to play? As in, the headphone jack seems to work properly, it just doesn't mute the mains. Does your receiver switch to stereo when you plug into the headphone jack?

I've been wondering if the fact that I've been using my Pioneer 1522 receiver as a preamp has anything to do with the sound coming out of my front speakers when I try to use my Outlaw Audio OAW3 wireless transmitter through the headphone jack. Normally, when a headphone plug is inserted into the jack, the speakers are supposed to mute completely. In my case, the speakers don't mute, but they play only stereo instead. It's weird. According to the manual, they should be muted with the headphone plug inserted into the jack. Perhaps the case may be that the signal isn't muted at the pre-amp outputs, but it is at the speaker-level outputs? Would anyone know if this might be the reason why my speakers won't mute when using the headphone jack? I once owned a NAD T744 that acted the same way as this Pioneer, but that receiver had the ability to switch off the speaker outputs, which the Pioneer doesn't.frown.gif
post #747 of 1755 Old 05-10-2013, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2AUDIO View Post

I once owned a NAD T744 that acted the same way as this Pioneer, but that receiver had the ability to switch off the speaker outputs, which the Pioneer doesn't.frown.gif

I believe the "speakers" button inside will do the trick.

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #748 of 1755 Old 05-10-2013, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2AUDIO View Post

I've been wondering if the fact that I've been using my Pioneer 1522 receiver as a preamp has anything to do with the sound coming out of my front speakers when I try to use my Outlaw Audio OAW3 wireless transmitter through the headphone jack. Normally, when a headphone plug is inserted into the jack, the speakers are supposed to mute completely. In my case, the speakers don't mute, but they play only stereo instead. It's weird. According to the manual, they should be muted with the headphone plug inserted into the jack. Perhaps the case may be that the signal isn't muted at the pre-amp outputs, but it is at the speaker-level outputs? Would anyone know if this might be the reason why my speakers won't mute when using the headphone jack? I once owned a NAD T744 that acted the same way as this Pioneer, but that receiver had the ability to switch off the speaker outputs, which the Pioneer doesn't.frown.gif

So are you saying that your front speakers are connected to external amps, instead of receiver's speaker outs? If so, I can certainly understand why. The headphone jack mute probably only apply on the speaker outs, not pre-outs. And it will also force the receiver into stereo mode.
post #749 of 1755 Old 05-10-2013, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Regardless of reviews, I have found that there's no better way to obtain objective information than from its owners. Can some of you folks here provide your opinion on the quality of the audio output on this av? It will be used for 50/50 music and general tv and internet streaming audio. The only other contender I have found is the Onkyo 818. Both appear to have their pros and cons. Most of the cons are just too technical for what I will be using the unit for. Most comments for both units appear very complimentary.
post #750 of 1755 Old 05-10-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

I believe the "speakers" button inside will do the trick.

The speaker button inside of what? Do mean behind the drop-down front panel door? I'll have to take a look later tonight. If there is a "speaker" button on the front panel, then it should work.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Sc 1522k 9 2 Channel Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - 1522k by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page