AVS Forum banner

*Official* Pioneer SC-1522 9.2 Network ready AV receiver owners thread

174K views 2K replies 235 participants last post by  ScAndal 
#1 ·
Since there isn't one for this particular receiver and Costco just made it a hot ticket item
I sense there will be a lot of new owners will post or seek information on this receiver.

Official spec sheet
Quote:
Class D3 Amplification

›› Channels: 9.2

›› 720 W Multi ch Simultaneous Drive (1 kHz, THD 1 % @ 8 ohms)

›› 210 W/ch (1 kHz, THD 1 % @ 4 ohms)

›› 170 W/ch (1 kHz, THD 1 % @ 6 ohms)

›› 130 W/ch (1 kHz, THD 0.08 % @ 8 ohms)

Construction Design

›› Advanced Direct Construction

›› Rigid Trans-Stabilizer

›› Insulated Dual Chassis

›› Aluminum Chassis

AUDIO FEATURES

›› THX® Select 2 Plus

›› Dolby® TrueHD/Dolby Pro Logic® IIz/Dolby Digital® Plus

›› DTS-HD® Master Audio, DTS-ES, DTS® Neo:X - 9.1 Channel Surround

›› Digital Core Engine with Texas Instruments Aureus® DSP

›› Hi-bit32 (96kHz) Audio and Jitter reduction

›› 192 kHz/32-bit DAC’s

›› Digital Filter Slow Mode (192kHz)

›› HDMI® Audio Return Channel

›› Pioneer Advanced MCACC® Room Calibration

• 3D Time Axis Measurement

• Polarity Check

• Automatic Crossover Setting

• Reverb Before and After Calibration Results (OSD or AVNavigator)

• Standing Wave Control

›› Pioneer Sound Enhancements

• Full Band Phase Control

• PQLS Bit-stream/Multi-Surround/2 ch Audio

• Jitter Reduction

• Advanced Sound Retriever/Auto Sound Retriever for ARC

• Sound Retriever AIR

• Sound Retriever Link

• Auto Level Control (Multi-Channel)

• Advanced Surround (15+1 Modes)

• Virtual Speakers (Wide/Height/Surround Back)

• Virtual Depth

VIDEO FEATURES

›› 4k2k Passthrough

›› 3D Ready (Blu-ray DiscTM, Broadcast and Games)

›› Deep Color (36-bit) and x.v.Color

›› 1080p/24fps Scaler with Qdeo™

›› Triple HD Noise Reduction

›› Advanced Video Adjustment

›› Stream Smoother/Stream Smoother Link

›› Frame Rate Conversion (60i/p - 24p)

HOME NETWORK FEATURES

›› AirPlay Wireless Audio

›› HTC Connect

›› DLNA Certified® (1.5)

›› Front MHL® Connect

›› Compatible with Windows® 7

›› Music File Playback via LAN/USB (WAV, MP3, WMA, AAC, FLAC)

• 192 kHz/24-Bit Audio playback (WAV, FLAC)

›› SiriusXM® Internet Radio*1

›› Pandora® Internet Radio (Service available in the U.S. only)

›› vTuner® Internet Radio

Convenience Features

›› Digital Audio from iPod®/iPhone®/iPad® via USB*2

›› iControlAV2012 Remote Control App Ready (iOS/Android)*3

• AV Receiver and Blu-ray Disc Player Control from Smartphone

• Sound Explorer (iOS/Android)

›› Air Jam App Ready (iOS/Android)*3 (Optional AS-BT200 adapter required)

• Share music and create playlists via Bluetooth connection

›› Wireless LAN Converter Ready (Optional AS-WL300 required)

›› Auto Power Down

›› Power Save for HDMI Standby Through

›› AM/FM Tuner 63 Presets

›› Sleep Timer

›› Learning Remote Control (Luminous)

›› RF Remote Control (CU-RF100-U) Ready

Custom

›› Zone 2 AV and Zone 3 Analog Audio Out

›› Firmware Update via Internet or USB

›› PC Set-Up with Remote IP Maintenance

›› AVNavigator for easy wiring and setup (PC)

›› Graphic User Interface (GUI) with Album Artwork (HDMI only)

›› Detachable Power Cord

›› RS232

›› IR In x 2, IR Out x 1

›› 12v Trigger x 2

›› 11.2 Channel Preouts

›› Preout Mode

›› Zone Volume, Tone, and Balance

Official Pioneer information page http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Pioneer+Receivers/SC-1522-K

Owner's manual: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Unassigned-Content/Manuals/SC-1522-K+OPERATING+INSTRUCTIONS

Discussions about Pioneer's auto-calibration MCACC can be found here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1112470/official-pioneer-mcacc-thread

Latest firmware update link: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ephox/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/SC-1522_65/Ver1_203_084_513_106/AVR_1_203084513160.ZIP

Unzip it on to a USB memory stick and plug into the front USB port. Use the receiver firmware update page to update it from the USB stick. Please note that the latest firmware can not be updated via internet connection on receiver. It must be done through USB stick.

To connect to your wireless network, you will need this Pioneer AS-WL300 adapter http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AS-WL300-Adapter-Networked-Receivers/dp/B004S0SBYK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1364515112&sr=1-1

To use Bluetooth connection, you will need this Pioneer AS-BT200 adapter http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AS-BT200-Bluetooth-Compatible-Products/dp/B004NNULYU/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_y

Progam your Universal Remote? Here is the official IR HEX codes for this receiver http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465612/official-pioneer-sc-1522-9-2-network-ready-av-receiver-owners-thread#post_23139869

Have a Harmony Remote? Here is how to put those missing IR HEX codes to your remote: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465612/official-pioneer-sc-1522-9-2-network-ready-av-receiver-owners-thread/180#post_23172047

Information on how to customize receiver bass level after MCACC: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465612/official-pioneer-sc-1522-9-2-network-ready-av-receiver-owners-thread/300#post_23197878

See less See more
#52 ·
I got one of these the other day and I am very impressed with the sound. While I was setting it up I noticed a slight buzzing coming from the top left front of the receiver. It seems to be coming from the transformer which is located in the top left front corner of the receiver. There is also a fan that I can hear that turns on several seconds after the power button is pushed but the buzzing starts immediately after the power button is pushed and seems to get slightly louder when the fan starts which could just be an acoustical illusion. The buzzing is very light and is only barely noticeable when you are 1 of 2 feet from the receiver and the room is silent. It doesn't bother me or disturb the listening environment but I have read through everything I can find and it seems that if there is any noise at all coming from the transformer it could be a sign of a problem or a potential problem in the future. I was just wondering if anyone else with this unit has noticed any transformer buzz of any level coming from the receiver. I can exchange it if I need to but I don't want to have to do that if the buzz is considered a normal, commonly occurring condition with this line of receivers.

Thanks in advance.

#53 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmann  /t/1465612/official-pioneer-sc-1522-9-2-network-ready-av-receiver-owners-thread/30#post_23151592

I got one of these the other day and I am very impressed with the sound. While I was setting it up I noticed a slight buzzing coming from the top left front of the receiver. It seems to be coming from the transformer which is located in the top left front corner of the receiver. There is also a fan that I can hear that turns on several seconds after the power button is pushed but the buzzing starts immediately after the power button is pushed and seems to get slightly louder when the fan starts which could just be an acoustical illusion. The buzzing is very light and is only barely noticeable when you are 1 of 2 feet from the receiver and the room is silent. It doesn't bother me or disturb the listening environment but I have read through everything I can find and it seems that if there is any noise at all coming from the transformer it could be a sign of a problem or a potential problem in the future. I was just wondering if anyone else with this unit has noticed any transformer buzz of any level coming from the receiver. I can exchange it if I need to but I don't want to have to do that if the buzz is considered a normal, commonly occurring condition with this line of receivers.

Thanks in advance.

Transformer buzz/hum is caused by DC current leaking into the AC line.

You might want to consider something like this: http://shop.emotiva.com/products/cmx2

#54 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121  /t/1465612/official-pioneer-sc-1522-9-2-network-ready-av-receiver-owners-thread/30#post_23151468

Deal like this doesn't come that often. I drove 4 hours around town last week to locate one.

But each person have their own priorities in life. You just have to listen to your heart

I'd say without decent speakers and powerful subwoofers, all the power this receiver can handle is just wasted.

I hear what you are saying, and I do want to get it, but I feel like it will be collecting dust until I but new speakers and subs, which will be a couple of month from now. I was hoping atleast I could salvage something from the HTIB and temporarily use the speakers and sub from HTIB.

But looks like if I do us eth HTIB speakers it will damage the receiver.

I think the only thing that I would be able to use would be the center channel.

will I be able to use a passive sub with tis receiver?

#55 ·
No. Passive sub are only going to work with HTIB (to save money). All the decent receivers don't have amp for subs. The reason is subs need specialty amps that requires a lot more powers. I'd suggest you get a powered sub at least 400w and up.

Your surrounds are 6ohm speakers, right? If so, you can still use them. Surrounds are not that import anyway.

#56 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S  /t/1465612/official-pioneer-sc-1522-9-2-network-ready-av-receiver-owners-thread/30#post_23151605

Transformer buzz/hum is caused by DC current leaking into the AC line.

You might want to consider something like this: http://shop.emotiva.com/products/cmx2

Thanks for the link.

I have read several posts where receivers that had buzz/hum coming from the transformers were swapped out with a new replacement of the same model and the buzz/hum was gone, that is why I was concerned that the transformer could be defective in some fashion.

Thanks again.

#58 ·
Does anyone know the OHM rating on the bose single cube speakers? I read somewhere that the bose speakers could cause damage to certain receivers?

I had those running on my yamaha for years and just upgraded to this receiver. I know I am not using the full potential of this thing and that the bose speakers aren't the best quality out there, but I have it in a small place (in a buildling) and am trying to keep the speakers small in size till we get a bigger room to put it in, where I can buy a nice set of speakers. The wife doesn't want the bigger uglier speakers coming into play until we have the space and capability to turn them up a lot higher.

#59 ·
Use Standard button to cycle through different mode. One of them will be no processing, i.e. same as source. Direct has different meanings. There is Direct and Pure direct. One turns off MCACC calibration but leave channel levels intact and bass management intact. The other turns off all processing.

If you have a 7.1 setup, PL IIx or Neo:X is still preferred for 5.1 BD audio because 5.1 and 7.1 speaker layout are totally different. In 7.1 setup, the back surround channels of 5.1 are on the side of you, not back. You will have a big hole in your sound field in the back without conversion.

#60 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer3253  /t/1465612/official-pioneer-sc-1522-9-2-network-ready-av-receiver-owners-thread/30#post_23151816

Does anyone know the OHM rating on the bose single cube speakers? I read somewhere that the bose speakers could cause damage to certain receivers?

Doesn't Bose speakers use different kind of speaker cable and connectors?

#61 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121  /t/1465612/official-pioneer-sc-1522-9-2-network-ready-av-receiver-owners-thread/30#post_23151837

Doesn't Bose speakers use different kind of speaker cable and connectors?

Not the ones I have....it appears to be a standard port for speakerwire. I've used it on the old Yamaha for over 5 years. They aren't the best sounding...it lacks a bit, but it gets the job done.

#64 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121  /t/1465612/official-pioneer-sc-1522-9-2-network-ready-av-receiver-owners-thread/60#post_23154603

Another tip for those programming Harmony remote for this receiver, the power on delay should be set to > 5 seconds. Otherwise, your initial input switch command will be ignored by the receiver. I believe the default is only 2 seconds.

Yep, I changed mine to 5 and it works perfectly for powering on and switching to the right input.

#65 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterslacker  /t/1465612/official-pioneer-sc-1522-9-2-network-ready-av-receiver-owners-thread/60#post_23154978

Yep, I changed mine to 5 and it works perfectly for powering on and switching to the right input.

My family and I hate our Harmony Remote. I think it is the 650. POS works half the time. I doesn't matter if I delay the time or not. I am glad for the iControlApp. I use that, and I renamed all of my HDMI inputs that I am using. So, my whole family knows how to use it.

#67 ·
The key to Harmony is know how to program it properly with ALL discrete codes for power on/off and input selections. Unfortunately, when you setup a new device, Harmony app doesn't do that for you. Nor they all come with discrete IR codes in database. I always spent a day or two figure out how to get discrete codes working. Sometimes, you can send email to Logitech support asking them to put in specific IR discrete code for you to the device (I did that couple times in the past). Sometimes, you just have to borrow it from other similar devices.

#68 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121  /t/1465612/official-pioneer-sc-1522-9-2-network-ready-av-receiver-owners-thread/60#post_23155151

The key to Harmony is know how to program it properly with ALL discrete codes for power on/off and input selections. Unfortunately, when you setup a new device, Harmony app doesn't do that for you. Nor they all come with discrete IR codes in database. I always spent a day or two figure out how to get discrete codes working. Sometimes, you can send email to Logitech support asking them to put in specific IR discrete code for you to the device (I did that couple times in the past). Sometimes, you just have to borrow it from other similar devices.

I guess I should of mentioned that after spending half a day setting it up, I was able to make it work. However, a few weeks later it wouldn't work right for some unknown reason, it turns on some devices, and other devices doesn't. So, I've got to keep pushing the help button, which is annoying. I've talked to Logitech support for several hours already. So, I gave up. I just wanted to give it a try and see what the fuzz was all about the harmony remotes. Needless to say, it didn't work for me. Now, Logitech will probably no longer support it since they are selling the remote control division just like they got rid of the Squeezee BOX. That one I really liked.

#69 ·
If you setup only use Power Toggle commands, that is what you will get. I was frustrated with that before until I hunt down discrete power codes for all almost all of my equipment (there is no discrete power commands for my Samsung HD DVD/BD player, It probably never existed and hence I will not buy another Samsung player). A few I have to send in IR HEX code to Logitech support to import them to my account which works fine.

Harmony is not for everyone. Just like JP1 remotes won't be suited for everyone either. There isn't any universal remote that everyone likes.

The problem with IP based remote app is the command delay (from what I heard) and can't control more than one device in one app. Also unfortunately, Pioneer doesn't offer any such control app for Android.

The new generations of Android phone like HTC One now have IR port on them again. Maybe we will see some remote apps that works better than before.

#70 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121  /t/1465612/official-pioneer-sc-1522-9-2-network-ready-av-receiver-owners-thread/60#post_23155345

If you setup only use Power Toggle commands, that is what you will get. I was frustrated with that before until I hunt down discrete power codes for all almost all of my equipment (there is no discrete power commands for my Samsung HD DVD/BD player, It probably never existed and hence I will not buy another Samsung player). A few I have to send in IR HEX code to Logitech support to import them to my account which works fine.

Harmony is not for everyone. Just like JP1 remotes won't be suited for everyone either. There isn't any universal remote that everyone likes.

The problem with IP based remote app is the command delay (from what I heard) and can't control more than one device in one app. Also unfortunately, Pioneer doesn't offer any such control app for Android.

The new generations of Android phone like HTC One now have IR port on them again. Maybe we will see some remote apps that works better than before.

I think you are right. I never did try the discrete codes. I might give it a go one more time, and I might ask for your help in the near future!

#72 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121  /t/1465612/official-pioneer-sc-1522-9-2-network-ready-av-receiver-owners-thread/60#post_23155414

No problem. Happy to help.

First and most import thing to do when you get a Harmony remote: Hide all your other remotes!!

That's going to be hard. I will have to prove to my wife and kids that the Harmony works correctly first.

#73 ·
Harmony remembers device states in the remote. If you use other remotes and you don't have discrete codes for the device, especially for power on/off and switch inputs, you are screwed. That's why it is important to train family members to use the remote correctly, that including hold the remote steadily toward TV for a few seconds during initial power up.

#74 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s  /t/1465612/official-pioneer-sc-1522-9-2-network-ready-av-receiver-owners-thread/60#post_23155282

I guess I should of mentioned that after spending half a day setting it up, I was able to make it work. However, a few weeks later it wouldn't work right for some unknown reason, it turns on some devices, and other devices doesn't. So, I've got to keep pushing the help button, which is annoying. I've talked to Logitech support for several hours already. So, I gave up. I just wanted to give it a try and see what the fuzz was all about the harmony remotes. Needless to say, it didn't work for me. Now, Logitech will probably no longer support it since they are selling the remote control division just like they got rid of the Squeezee BOX. That one I really liked.

I've had both the 1100 and one and love both. Really do have to spend a lot of time setting them up correctly. I even have them control my htpc, xbmc, and wmc which is great.

#75 ·
I have a Y connector on one of my subs that feed to my second sub currently. Is there any advantage to actually connecting the second sub to the second sub out port on the receiver?

It would involve buying a longer cable and running it through one wall so was wondering if it's worth the trouble.

#76 ·
OK, gang, I'm trying to setup a Harmony 900 to work with this thing. I downloaded the Pioneer hex codes and went to the Harmony website for inputting the codes. The codes work fine, but the problem is it won't let me download more than one command to the remote. Anytime I download a new command, it erases the old one. I'm trying to input the codes for all the HDMI inputs.Any ideas?

Another problem: Occasionally when starting the unit up with the Harmony, the unit will initially go to the correct HDMI input, and then all of a sudden switch to the TV input. Pressing the Help button fixes everything, but I don't want to have to do that all of the time. Any ideas on this one? Thanks for any info!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.