*Official* Pioneer SC-1522 9.2 Network ready AV receiver owners thread - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #1081 of 1760 Old 06-04-2013, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 347
^^
+1 to the last 2 posts. real good advice.
I own the SC-68 but internet radio works perfectly. the few times I use Airplay, it works perfectly.

I don't use pandora so can't comment.

the only occasional quirkiness in connectivity I've seen is with the apple phone icontrol app & then rebooting the phone most of the time restores it. on several occasions I've also had to reboot the router. hardly the receiver's fault.

my conclusion - the overall network capability of these receivers is very robust, especially with LAN. but using wireless, you are at the mercy of phone & router issues. in my house, I can be < 20 ft away from the router & sometimes the iphone & wife's ipod won't connect.

IMO, a big majority of so-called problems with these receivers is due to wifi issues & not the receiver itself. IMHO, anyone totally relying on wifi might consider adding a cat 5/6 cable to the back of their receiver wink.gif

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1760 Old 06-04-2013, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Good advice Steve. Home networking is a hit and miss operation at best, and not the thing you want for reliable streaming communications. Hard wire is the only way to go on this one.
Jeff
post #1083 of 1760 Old 06-04-2013, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
+1 to the last few posts also.

AirPlay is rock solid on my network once connected. At times I have to reboot my bridge or router to get the AirPlay icon on my 4G iPod Touch but once connected it plays for hours without a skip. I haven't had to reboot the 1522, any issues can be traced to my network devices. AirPlay can be flaky on any device, not only the 1522.

I didn't have any problems connecting or playing Pandora in my limited testing.

I agree with you Steve, the majority of issues are due to wifi and the networking hardware. Apple with their Boujour service and AirPlay didn't help things either.

Allen
post #1084 of 1760 Old 06-04-2013, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobdude View Post

The vsx app in the play store has this functionality. But you lose others with it. That being said each has its place and I keep both on my phone.

I downloaded it but can't figure out how to control my media server music. I can do it from the tv interface of course...
post #1085 of 1760 Old 06-04-2013, 10:40 AM

Liked: 10
Thanks for the feedback. If one goes to Amazon and looks at Pionee'rs wireless dongle feedback you will see "hundreds" of complaints regarding the wireless capability.
I will look into running a wired connection from my Apple Airport Extreme router to the 1522 which is about 20 ft away located in a closet as I trust that will likely solve this frustrating issue.
My wireless network Steaming to my TV works great w/ Blue Ray Player, AppleTV, and Wie. I have an Apple Airport Extreme Router located about 12 ft from these devices and 15 ft to the 1522 located in closet. With the other devices wireless networking functionality working without issue it would seem to point to point to 1522 wireless functionality but I'm certainly not a network engineer.
What is strange is the AV2013Control App works flawlessly communicating with the receiver on the same network but when I open Internet Radio or Pandora = Lock Up with no ability to go deeper into Genres/Stations etc with the remote or the App.
The only Network setting I have changed is Network Standbye to ON which allows the AV2013Controller to turn the receiver ON.
If there is anything else I should configure to get better wireless stability - I'm all eyes/ears??
On a positive note for those interested in putting this AV Unit and 3 other components in a closet rather than a "hotbox" console underneath the TV the Monoprice $14 IR Repeater Kit works awesome!!!
post #1086 of 1760 Old 06-04-2013, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 256
You should use AV2012 which is made for this receiver. AV2013 is not meant to be used with this receiver. The Android version of AV2013 will refuse to work with this receiver and automatically re-direct you to download AV2012. I guess they didn't or can't do the same for iOS version. Pioneer apps are designed to work with only certain model years.

As for wireless, the receiver comes with no wireless capability what so ever. What you see is the complain about the wireless dongle (which costs $150) that converts wireless network into Ethernet port, then connect to the receiver's Ethernet port. You can buy the similar wireless to Ethernet converter for about $50. There is no reason to waste money on a Pioneer version. My home networking rule of thumb is if it is fixed in a location, I will not use any wireless networking on it at all. For my HT, I use one MoCA adapter connected to a 4-port switch to serve all my HT devices. On my basement, I use Poweline adapter with a switch to connect my other devices to the internet. Wireless is purely for laptops, tablets and smartphones. I don't even bother to setup the wireless even if the device come with it.
post #1087 of 1760 Old 06-04-2013, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

You should use AV2012 which is made for this receiver. AV2013 is not meant to be used with this receiver. The Android version of AV2013 will refuse to work with this receiver and automatically re-direct you to download AV2012. I guess they didn't or can't do the same for iOS version. Pioneer apps are designed to work with only certain model years.

As for wireless, the receiver comes with no wireless capability what so ever. What you see is the complain about the wireless dongle (which costs $150) that converts wireless network into Ethernet port, then connect to the receiver's Ethernet port. You can buy the similar wireless to Ethernet converter for about $50. There is no reason to waste money on a Pioneer version. My home networking rule of thumb is if it is fixed in a location, I will not use any wireless networking on it at all. For my HT, I use one MoCA adapter connected to a 4-port switch to serve all my HT devices. On my basement, I use Poweline adapter with a switch to connect my other devices to the internet. Wireless is purely for laptops, tablets and smartphones. I don't even bother to setup the wireless even if the device come with it.

I have tried to use it but I do not see an option to shuffle or repeat music on media server. That is my issue...am I missing something?
post #1088 of 1760 Old 06-04-2013, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratclib2014 View Post

Thanks for the feedback. If one goes to Amazon and looks at Pionee'rs wireless dongle feedback you will see "hundreds" of complaints regarding the wireless capability.
I will look into running a wired connection from my Apple Airport Extreme router to the 1522 which is about 20 ft away located in a closet as I trust that will likely solve this frustrating issue.
My wireless network Steaming to my TV works great w/ Blue Ray Player, AppleTV, and Wie. I have an Apple Airport Extreme Router located about 12 ft from these devices and 15 ft to the 1522 located in closet. With the other devices wireless networking functionality working without issue it would seem to point to point to 1522 wireless functionality but I'm certainly not a network engineer.
What is strange is the AV2013Control App works flawlessly communicating with the receiver on the same network but when I open Internet Radio or Pandora = Lock Up with no ability to go deeper into Genres/Stations etc with the remote or the App.
The only Network setting I have changed is Network Standbye to ON which allows the AV2013Controller to turn the receiver ON.
If there is anything else I should configure to get better wireless stability - I'm all eyes/ears??
On a positive note for those interested in putting this AV Unit and 3 other components in a closet rather than a "hotbox" console underneath the TV the Monoprice $14 IR Repeater Kit works awesome!!!
I don't think AV2013Control App is listed as being compatible with the 1522. While it may work for the most part, I'm sure there are some things here and there that caused them not to list it as compatible (unless it's as simple as 1522 is a 2012 model and not a 2013 model). In any case, try using the AV2012Control App and see if you can control your internet radio and pandora without having a lock-up occur. I have both the 2012 & 2013 app installed in my iPad with no problem. Just make sure you close the program in their "task bar" if it's open before using the other one.

post #1089 of 1760 Old 06-04-2013, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg17 View Post

I have tried to use it but I do not see an option to shuffle or repeat music on media server. That is my issue...am I missing something?
You should ask Pioneer. I personally don't use these features.
post #1090 of 1760 Old 06-04-2013, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

when I open Internet Radio or Pandora = Lock Up with no ability to go deeper into Genres/Stations etc with the remote or the App.

you do realize you have to hit the NET button on the remote first to be able to use the nav buttons for Internet Radio, Pandora, etc. to return to using the nav buttons for general receiver control, hit the RECEIVER button. this is described in the manual if you didn't know this.

If you're using icontrol2013, that is the wrong version of the app for the 1522. if you can't get the app to work, then just download icontrol2012. that's the version you are supposed to use with 2012 models.

while 2013 works with some things, it's officially not compatible so will not work with all features.

there's a great chance both steps will solve your problem.

Steve
post #1091 of 1760 Old 06-04-2013, 05:01 PM

Thanks for all the feedback -All is working now without any change to anything. I will hardwire the network connection when I get the chance but not an option right now until I replace carpet. I also refused to purchase the Pioneer adapter which is criminally priced @ $150 - what a sham! I bought the Iogear Adapter for $35 on amazon and it is working OK with Network Standbye set to ON. I have the AV2013 app on Ipad and AV2012 on IPhone they both seem to work the pretty well. Thank God for the apps as the Pioneer remote leaves a lot to be desired which I guess is to be expected for a factory remote. Thanks again for the support - this forum rocks! Can't wait to get some nice speakers to really make this baby sing
post #1092 of 1760 Old 06-04-2013, 05:30 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

my conclusion - the overall network capability of these receivers is very robust, especially with LAN. but using wireless, you are at the mercy of phone & router issues. in my house, I can be < 20 ft away from the router & sometimes the iphone & wife's ipod won't connect.

IMO, a big majority of so-called problems with these receivers is due to wifi issues & not the receiver itself. IMHO, anyone totally relying on wifi might consider adding a cat 5/6 cable to the back of their receiver wink.gif

From what I've seen here and experienced myself, this is a primary piece of advice. For about six years I have been fighting wifi issues: changing routers, cable company visits, signal strength measurements, range extenders, the whole gamut of wifi aids. Since wifi channels overlap, there are basically only three channel choices one can make (1, 6 or 11) and a neighbor can screw this up by using one of the other channels thinking he is picking a clear frequency. Looking at the received radiation patterns from my neighborhood makes me wonder how anything works. One moment I'm in the clear and fifteen minutes later I am being jammed by a nearby house. It's electronics warfare!

My wife has her computer in a room a floor above and on the other side of the house from the wifi transmitter in a room with no Ethernet port. She was lucky to get on the net at all with wifi. I thought a long cable might be a problem but finally drilled a hole in the house, behind the router, and strung out about 50 feet of cat 6 cable that Time Warner just gave me to get me out of their hair. I got a plug installation tool and rolled my own.The cable runs the depth of the house (outside) and then upstairs to her room through another window. From that moment on complaints vanished. Wifi isn't a serious method for reliably moving electrons! I only use it for iPad and iPhone now and even then I sometimes lose signal. I wouldn't dream of using wifi for the Pioneer or Oppo.

Bob Sackett
post #1093 of 1760 Old 06-04-2013, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alnilam1 View Post

I wouldn't dream of using wifi for the Pioneer or Oppo.

and there are people who want to do firmware updates over wifi eek.gif

yours are words of wisdom. the frustrating part for me is when someone asks for help & you try to guide them to a reliable solution, they don't want to hear that & likely to continue to complain about the receiver, say it's a POS.

I encounter the same resistance everytime someone posts about not getting their cable box to work with HDMI. they ask for help like we have some magic answer, then when I give advice to just use component video & optical with cable/sat boxes, they bitch about why they can't use HDMI. Don't ask us - bitch at your cable co for using gear that isn't compatible with some receivers & TV's.

Steve
post #1094 of 1760 Old 06-04-2013, 06:56 PM

WRT wifi, I would get a wireless bridge if you cannot use the Ethernet and then use an Ethernet jumper cable (short cable) to that wireless bridge/repeater. Many ap's have "repeater" modes that do this and then will offer a number of Ethernet drops at the receiver (all the LAN ports). The asus rtn-66u (http://www.asus.com/Networking/RTN66U/) is a fantastic wifi router for less money than the Pioneer dongle. (see smallnetbuilder.net for reviews) -- http://*******/19GUEhV

Second thing you REALLY want to do is get DUAL BAND 802.11n router. One (like the ASUS above, but in AP mode instead of repeater) that can do the pedestrian and limited channel 1/6/11 on 2.4 MHZ which picks up all the old and slow stuff and then run 5.0 MHZ channel on 802.11n only (disable b/g) .

The 2./4 band is terrible across the board because it only has 3 channels for b/g (2 or 1 for n, btw) and the 5 MHz band has (something like) 12 non-overlapping 802.11n channels and like 36 b/g channels. To boot, all old and cheap stuff runs at 2.4 and therefore it is WAY over-utilized. Wireless is like a room filled with people all trying to speak with each other. Only one device can speak (in one direction) at a time (or recognize a collision and wait to speak again when it is quiet. The more people talking in a room, the slower you go. Oh, and microwaves run at about channel 9 on 2.4 so if it is running, there is a lot of interference to boot. In a rush, so I could explain that better time permitting.

Bottom line, spend the ~$134 on the ASUS, set it up as a "repeater" and join an 802.11n in the 5 MHz band back to your main AP (or get a second Asus or similar for the AP portion) and realize 4 or 5 ports at the repeater part - hey, plug in the other smart devices all in one bang. It will have incredible performance.

I am trying to keep this post simple (might have failed smile.gif ) but there are a lot more reasons to do what I suggest here that I can share. If anyone is interested in learning more, just ask.
post #1095 of 1760 Old 06-04-2013, 07:16 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:

Thanks for all the feedback -Can't wait to get some nice speakers to really make this baby sing

So what are you thinking on speakers? Do you have a budget in mind? For around $700, you can get a worthwhile system.

Why go out to a movie theater?
post #1096 of 1760 Old 06-04-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnabola View Post

WRT wifi, I would get a wireless bridge if you cannot use the Ethernet and then use an Ethernet jumper cable (short cable) to that wireless bridge/repeater. Many ap's have "repeater" modes that do this and then will offer a number of Ethernet drops at the receiver (all the LAN ports). The asus rtn-66u (http://www.asus.com/Networking/RTN66U/) is a fantastic wifi router for less money than the Pioneer dongle. (see smallnetbuilder.net for reviews) -- http://*******/19GUEhV

Second thing you REALLY want to do is get DUAL BAND 802.11n router. One (like the ASUS above, but in AP mode instead of repeater) that can do the pedestrian and limited channel 1/6/11 on 2.4 MHZ which picks up all the old and slow stuff and then run 5.0 MHZ channel on 802.11n only (disable b/g) .

The 2./4 band is terrible across the board because it only has 3 channels for b/g (2 or 1 for n, btw) and the 5 MHz band has (something like) 12 non-overlapping 802.11n channels and like 36 b/g channels. To boot, all old and cheap stuff runs at 2.4 and therefore it is WAY over-utilized. Wireless is like a room filled with people all trying to speak with each other. Only one device can speak (in one direction) at a time (or recognize a collision and wait to speak again when it is quiet. The more people talking in a room, the slower you go. Oh, and microwaves run at about channel 9 on 2.4 so if it is running, there is a lot of interference to boot. In a rush, so I could explain that better time permitting.

Bottom line, spend the ~$134 on the ASUS, set it up as a "repeater" and join an 802.11n in the 5 MHz band back to your main AP (or get a second Asus or similar for the AP portion) and realize 4 or 5 ports at the repeater part - hey, plug in the other smart devices all in one bang. It will have incredible performance.

I am trying to keep this post simple (might have failed smile.gif ) but there are a lot more reasons to do what I suggest here that I can share. If anyone is interested in learning more, just ask.
There are 2 problems with using the 5Ghz band: 1) The 5Ghz is meant for shorter distances when compared to the 2.4 Ghz band. 2) Unless you're using a AP to pick up the 5Ghz signal and hardwired into that, many electronics can not receive the 5Ghz signal. Yes an iPad and many newer cell phones are 2.4/5Ghz compatible. Much more only works on the 2.4 GHz band. Even more frustrating is that I think many of the current TVs and BluRay players only have support 2.4 Ghz wireless which is not ideal for streaming video.

post #1097 of 1760 Old 06-04-2013, 07:50 PM

Well, shorter distance in that it is affected more at 5 when going through walls and whatnot, but for a home, more than adequate. Also, your point that 2.4 goes "farther" actually creates MORE interference because the AP 5 doors down is contributing to the interference in your home. Dual band routers support both, and when you use one as a repeater, you use the ethernet on your smart device and a 5 GHz (did I say MHz before?) n backhaul. Note that n is much much more resistant to obstacles in that it uses the multipath arrivals of the multiple streams to strengthen the signal. Anyhow, if you put all that you can on 5, then you "free up" the 2.4 for the fewer devices that require it. A dual band AP is actually 2 ap's in one (check, some only have one radio that is set to one or the other, and some have 2 radios).
post #1098 of 1760 Old 06-04-2013, 07:58 PM

Also, the more expensive routers have 2-3 antennas for each band which will further help you with signal problems.

post #1099 of 1760 Old 06-04-2013, 08:12 PM

Can someone please kindly post a link where the different listening modes have been discussed? I don't know what setting I should have it on for TV and Blu Ray.

Thanks!
post #1100 of 1760 Old 06-05-2013, 06:26 AM

I will keep this brief and am open to suggestion - I'm likely going with With the Polk CS20, TSi300 or 400 can't decide, 2 x BicF12 Subs, Polk Owm3 rears, and Yamaha 390 outdoor for Zone 2. Seems like good value.

Thx Mcnabola for your suggestions as well - I will do some research on Dual Band router with your valued tips as start if my Air Extreme router doesn't continue to provide consistant performance.It would seem much easier and cheaper just to hard wire from my existing router though? I have had a lot of routers Linksys, DLink, etc and the Apple has been the best performer in terms of stability / performance.
post #1101 of 1760 Old 06-05-2013, 07:48 AM

check out smallnetbuilder.com

They do tests of almost all soho routers and wireless devices.
post #1102 of 1760 Old 06-05-2013, 07:57 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnabola View Post

Well, shorter distance in that it is affected more at 5 when going through walls and whatnot, but for a home, more than adequate. Also, your point that 2.4 goes "farther" actually creates MORE interference because the AP 5 doors down is contributing to the interference in your home. Dual band routers support both, and when you use one as a repeater, you use the ethernet on your smart device and a 5 GHz (did I say MHz before?) n backhaul. Note that n is much much more resistant to obstacles in that it uses the multipath arrivals of the multiple streams to strengthen the signal. Anyhow, if you put all that you can on 5, then you "free up" the 2.4 for the fewer devices that require it. A dual band AP is actually 2 ap's in one (check, some only have one radio that is set to one or the other, and some have 2 radios).

Just a note on physics. Light, sound, radio are all the same thing: waves, electromagnetic or mechanical, but of different frequencies. We've all heard the kid next door rolling past us with his boom-box on max and the windows closed. We hear the thump-thump-thump of the bass and almost nothing of the higher frequency voices since they can't escape the car's shell as the bass can. One frequency (the low) doesn't go farther, it just has an easier trip.

Light, very high frequency, can't penetrate walls while radio signals, low freq., do so easily. It works the same with your router. If the "low freq." 2.4 gHz is having a hard time penetrating your walls and doors, the 5 gHz signal is going to do much worse. The only way you gain with it is if your neighborhood wifi electronic warfare isn't being fought up there, a not-likely situation if you live in modern civilization where everybody around you is having the same problems and trying all the latest stuff from Best Buy. If at all possible, drag a wire.

Bob Sackett
post #1103 of 1760 Old 06-05-2013, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Wifi is one of few things that investments never really pan out. You can spent all kinds of $$$ on new wifi routers, dual band receivers etc, the end result is always the same. If running Cat5/6 cable is not an option, there are plenty of other wiring options that can use your existing coax cable runs or powerlines.
post #1104 of 1760 Old 06-05-2013, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I picked up a tp-link dual band with 2usb ports and 3 antennas. Works well and it was only 70 bucks on new egg. My only frustration is there seems to be a media server limit of 3000 files so I can only see up to B in my music list. But everything seen will play. Lastly when backing out through the receiver I can get to the next folder up but then the media server crashes. My receive is still hardwired though.
post #1105 of 1760 Old 06-06-2013, 04:53 AM

My system was working perfectly. Using a Netgear WNCE2001 wireless adapter. AT&T came yesterday, hooked up their wireless router, now I'm having fits. Couldn't get the 1522 to connect. Plugged my old wireless router into a spare LAN connection port on the AT&T modem, but it seems to have limited functionality now. Even my ipad wont load webpages, etc, but still have a strong signal. Any thoughts?

post #1106 of 1760 Old 06-06-2013, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4 View Post

My system was working perfectly. Using a Netgear WNCE2001 wireless adapter. AT&T came yesterday, hooked up their wireless router, now I'm having fits. Couldn't get the 1522 to connect. Plugged my old wireless router into a spare LAN connection port on the AT&T modem, but it seems to have limited functionality now. Even my ipad wont load webpages, etc, but still have a strong signal. Any thoughts?

Call att back and tell them to fix their stuff?
post #1107 of 1760 Old 06-06-2013, 06:38 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Plugged my old wireless router into a spare LAN connection port on the AT&T modem, but it seems to have limited functionality now. Even my ipad wont load webpages, etc, but still have a strong signal. Any thoughts?
You can't piggyback two routers. If you plugged the WAN port of your old router into a LAN on the new router you are bound to have routing issues. You may be able to, however, connect a LAN port on the old router to LAN port on the new. You must be sure the old router has a different IP address than the AT&T router but on the same subnet. With this connection you are using the old router as an access point, not a router.

Another option is to have AT&T bypass the router section of the device they installed. That way it functions only as a dsl modem & you can continue using your old router.

My basic question is why did you let AT&T mess with a working system? If it ain't broke, why fix it smile.gif

Allen
post #1108 of 1760 Old 06-06-2013, 08:03 AM

I switched from Comcast. There were cryptic instructions on the Internet for bridging a second router on the cable modem, but that didn't work. Strangely the WPS action doesn't work with the new WLAN. reason for using my old wireless router is it is 803.11N. New router is only G!

Edit...ok it's all working again. Today the wireless adapter at the 1522 recognized the new WLAN password. I did a master reset last thing last night on the 1522. That may have cleared something that was blocking communication. Anywho, I'm a happy camper again. Will live with super G wireless for now...

post #1109 of 1760 Old 06-06-2013, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 606
Quote:

If you are using u-verse request the 2wire 3801 modem/router is the best they have, and it is very difficult to get as well.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #1110 of 1760 Old 06-06-2013, 02:59 PM

Does anyone know if the receiver remote supports HDMI-CEC? I'm trying to see if there's a way I can control my Raspbmc with the Pioneer's remote.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Sc 1522k 9 2 Channel Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - 1522k by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page