*Official* Pioneer SC-1522 9.2 Network ready AV receiver owners thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1737 Old 04-02-2013, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 30
You can use 2 mains in one of the settings, i think it's call speaker b, but I may be wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1737 Old 04-02-2013, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by datranz View Post

You can use 2 mains in one of the settings, i think it's call speaker b, but I may be wrong.

yeah, I'll take a closer look tomorrow, thanks...........
post #93 of 1737 Old 04-02-2013, 10:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Ok. So I am programming the Logitech Harmony remote (880 in this case) as well.

My current setup does not use teh DVD connection nor does it use the BD connection (I use the BDR/DVR connection for my Blu-ray, don't ask why).

Basically I am doing this:

1. BD
2. DVD (HDMI1)
3. SAT/CBL (HDMI2) In use by DirecTV
4. DVR/BDR (HDMI3) In use by Panasonic Player
5. MHL (HDMI5) Empty
6 HMDI4 in use by Wii connection (yes there is a Wii to HDMI adapter available).

Now, given the task of trying to get the Logitech remote to program HDMI4, is there any reason I shouldn't move the HDMI connection for the Wii to DVD or BD connection?

Also Foxbat and others, should I be applying the 5 second delay to the Pioneer receiver? Just want to make sure I am applying it right...

Thanks!
post #94 of 1737 Old 04-02-2013, 10:28 PM
Advanced Member

Also, I have a 5 disc carosel CD player. It was purchased circa 1990, and comes with an optical out (very forward thinking of them at the time!).

I want the receiver to play CD, but use and Optical signal, but can't seem to get that programmed. Anyone have it setup and want to show me what options to press on the screens?

Debating simply deep-sixing the 5-disc carosel, burn all my CD's to computer and have the computer be the Media server.

If I do that, does the media server setup on Pioneer let me burrow down to my 'additional drives', like G and H drives that are 1.5Tb a piece? Or does it just point to C:?
post #95 of 1737 Old 04-02-2013, 11:44 PM

Anyone have an idea on how this receiver would hold up vs a nr709 (HDMI board issues aside) overall?
I have a 7.1 system with daul subs. Would this be worth the upgrade or should I save my $?
post #96 of 1737 Old 04-03-2013, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by enphenate View Post

Anyone have an idea on how this receiver would hold up vs a nr709 (HDMI board issues aside) overall?
I have a 7.1 system with daul subs. Would this be worth the upgrade or should I save my $?

The Onkyo has the MultiQ XT, which EQ's the sub. The 1522 doesn't EQ the sub. I used to own an Onkyo and the HDMI board issue went out. I had the SC-1222-K first, which was excellent, but I went wit the SC-1522-K because it was $599.99, it has 12V triggers and it is a 9.2 biggrin.gif
DaveCarrera4 likes this.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Theater Set Up:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #97 of 1737 Old 04-03-2013, 04:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by FusionRx View Post

Also, I have a 5 disc carosel CD player. It was purchased circa 1990, and comes with an optical out (very forward thinking of them at the time!).

I want the receiver to play CD, but use and Optical signal, but can't seem to get that programmed. Anyone have it setup and want to show me what options to press on the screens?

Debating simply deep-sixing the 5-disc carosel, burn all my CD's to computer and have the computer be the Media server.

If I do that, does the media server setup on Pioneer let me burrow down to my 'additional drives', like G and H drives that are 1.5Tb a piece? Or does it just point to C:?

For the CD changer, connect the optical out to Optical In 1 on the receiver. Next go to the Input settings menu. Select the CD source and set its audio input to Optical 1.

Edit - Here are the steps you should take:

1. Press RECEIVER on the remote, then press HOME MENU
2. Select 'System Setup' from the Home Menu
3. Select 'Input Setup' from the System Setup menu
4. Use the left - right buttons on the remote to scroll through to the CD input
5. Scroll down to Audio In
6. While on Audio In use the left - right buttons to scroll to Opt 1
7. Set HDMI Input to OFF
8. Set Component In to OFF
9. Set 12V Trigger 1 & 2 to OFF
10. When finished, press RETURN

post #98 of 1737 Old 04-03-2013, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by FusionRx View Post

Ok. So I am programming the Logitech Harmony remote (880 in this case) as well.

My current setup does not use teh DVD connection nor does it use the BD connection (I use the BDR/DVR connection for my Blu-ray, don't ask why).

Basically I am doing this:

1. BD
2. DVD (HDMI1)
3. SAT/CBL (HDMI2) In use by DirecTV
4. DVR/BDR (HDMI3) In use by Panasonic Player
5. MHL (HDMI5) Empty
6 HMDI4 in use by Wii connection (yes there is a Wii to HDMI adapter available).

Now, given the task of trying to get the Logitech remote to program HDMI4, is there any reason I shouldn't move the HDMI connection for the Wii to DVD or BD connection?

Also Foxbat and others, should I be applying the 5 second delay to the Pioneer receiver? Just want to make sure I am applying it right...

Thanks!

Definitely set power on delay for the receiver to 5 seconds or more. As for your HDMI4 issue, if you can't get it programmed, move to other two empty HDMI ports and rename the input name to Wii smile.gif
post #99 of 1737 Old 04-03-2013, 04:55 AM

Is there a way to get Dolby 5.1 to use a front wide speaker 9.1 setup? It seems from the modes it's either Pro Logic Iix for 7.1, Pro Logic IIz HEIGHT for 9.1 with front heights or WIDE SURROUND MOVIE for 7.1 front wide but no surround backs? Did I miss something?

I'm planning on adding front wides instead of front heights to my setup this week but not sure for all the Dolby content(Fios, Xbox360) I'll notice any changes.

Thx.
post #100 of 1737 Old 04-03-2013, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

That is caused by the fact that a lot of those buttons are multi-functional and in fact use different IR codes in different modes. For example, there are two sets of directional button commands in the database. One is normal directional command which only works in receiver settings mode. The other set is labeled as iPodUSBxxxx which are used when you are in those other navigational situations. On the stock remote, you click RCVR button first to access the first set of directional buttons. If you need to access the second set of the directional button, you need to click on the input selection for NET, iPOD or USB, then the directional pads switch over to the second set.

Awesome..I'll tweak my settings tonight and hopefully it works a bit better. Thanks for your help

Also, any idea on being able to enter the username/password easily.
post #101 of 1737 Old 04-03-2013, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I tried to enter username password for Pandora but after first letter, I bailed. I thought the AVNavigator can help with that. It didn't. Next option is to try iControl app for iOS. But I don't have any iDevices.
post #102 of 1737 Old 04-03-2013, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I tried to enter username password for Pandora but after first letter, I bailed. I thought the AVNavigator can help with that. It didn't. Next option is to try iControl app for iOS. But I don't have any iDevices.

OMG, what a pain trying to get that info entered. I too bailed after the first few letters. I listen to Pandora through SONOS, so this would have simply been a bonus for me.

post #103 of 1737 Old 04-03-2013, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So. I finally got all the HDMI input discrete commands working using the IR code spreadsheet published by Pioneer.

- For HDMI4 input, it is normally mapped to Video input. So, you need to use VIDEO1 IR command
- HDMI6, HDMI7 work just as they should.
- There are also commands for switch to Pandora, Internet Radio, Media Server etc. directly. I tried Pandora command and it works.

Now, if you don't have two Harmony remotes like me to learn the IR codes (the hack URL only allow one IR code input per device), you can simply email those IR codes directly to Logitech support and asking them to put it into your account. I will see if I can ask them to put mine into database so that everyone can use it.
post #104 of 1737 Old 04-03-2013, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

^^^
Nice work!

Thanks for sharing.

post #105 of 1737 Old 04-03-2013, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterslacker View Post

Is there a way to get Dolby 5.1 to use a front wide speaker 9.1 setup?
Yes. Use Neo:X and use the Speaker button to select FW.

Greg Lee
post #106 of 1737 Old 04-03-2013, 08:03 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

So. I finally got all the HDMI input discrete commands working using the IR code spreadsheet published by Pioneer.

- For HDMI4 input, it is normally mapped to Video input. So, you need to use VIDEO1 IR command
- HDMI6, HDMI7 work just as they should.
- There are also commands for switch to Pandora, Internet Radio, Media Server etc. directly. I tried Pandora command and it works.

Now, if you don't have two Harmony remotes like me to learn the IR codes (the hack URL only allow one IR code input per device), you can simply email those IR codes directly to Logitech support and asking them to put it into your account. I will see if I can ask them to put mine into database so that everyone can use it.

Could you please provide a little more detail on how you did this? Did you go to the site and upload the codes one at a time on the second remote to transfer to the first one, or is there another way to do this?

Quote:

The web control interface (not the iPad app) lets you type your Pandora and SiriusXM login information. It will save you some sanity.
vivatech likes this.
post #107 of 1737 Old 04-03-2013, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post

Could you please provide a little more detail on how you did this? Did you go to the site and upload the codes one at a time on the second remote to transfer to the first one, or is there another way to do this?

There is a URL floating out there that let you paste in HEX IR code for your harmony remote. Unfortunately, it will only allow you add one IR code per device. Any new IR code will override the last one. So, I have my Harmony #2 setup to import IR codes one at a time. After each code is entered and uploaded to that remote, I hook up Harmony #1 which is the one I use for this receiver and learn that code from remote #2. Repeat this process for each IR code.
Quote:
The web control interface (not the iPad app) lets you type your Pandora and SiriusXM login information. It will save you some sanity.

I wish I knew this early smile.gif Didn't know it existed. Thanks.
vivatech likes this.
post #108 of 1737 Old 04-03-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:

There is a URL floating out there that let you paste in HEX IR code for your harmony remote. Unfortunately, it will only allow you add one IR code per device. Any new IR code will override the last one. So, I have my Harmony #2 setup to import IR codes one at a time. After each code is entered and uploaded to that remote, I hook up Harmony #1 which is the one I use for this receiver and learn that code from remote #2. Repeat this process for each IR code.

Got it. Was hoping it would be a bit less tedious, but it'll get the job done. Thanks.

Boy oh boy, setting up my Yamaha Aventage was way easier. I'm starting to think Yamaha's slogan should be "A few less bells and whistles, and a lot less headaches." This receiver is great, but the setup has been a nightmare.
post #109 of 1737 Old 04-03-2013, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It is rather a Harmony/Logitech problem for not having all the IR codes in database.
post #110 of 1737 Old 04-03-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:

It is rather a Harmony/Logitech problem for not having all the IR codes in database.

Perhaps, but there's other setup problems I've run into. The crazy default labeling and numbering of the HDMI ports... No direct stock remote access to HDMI 6 and HDMI 7... Having my TV's CEC causing the receiver to default to TV input until I turned it off... Having to increase the delay time on the Harmony to get the commands to register properly... I didn't have any of these problems with my Yamahas.

Don't get me wrong, I don't consider any of these things to be deal breakers (especially when getting a $1600 receiver for $600), but they have been a bit annoying.
post #111 of 1737 Old 04-03-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:

Which app did you use? Each one I used wouldn't allow me to do enter any login info. It kept giving me an error.
post #112 of 1737 Old 04-03-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer3253 View Post

Which app did you use? Each one I used wouldn't allow me to do enter any login info. It kept giving me an error.

You need to get your LAN address (192.168.x.x) and type it into your web browser. This will bring up the web control site which will let you type in the password.
post #113 of 1737 Old 04-03-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer3253 View Post

You need to get your LAN address (192.168.x.x) and type it into your web browser. This will bring up the web control site which will let you type in the password.
post #114 of 1737 Old 04-03-2013, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Having my TV's CEC causing the receiver to default to TV input until I turned it off...

This is TV's ARC in action. Do you happen to have a Samsung TV? When ARC is on (which should not be until TV is in a mode to output audio via ARC, like apps and internal tuner. But it seems an issue with Samsung TVs), the receiver should automatically turn to TV input in order for the receiver to output audio from TV. You should be able to turn off HDMI CEC 'control function' in receiver settings without turning off ARC as you already have Harmony to control all the inputs. This way, you can still have ARC working if you switch to TV input.
post #115 of 1737 Old 04-03-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:

This is TV's ARC in action. Do you happen to have a Samsung TV? When ARC is on (which should not be until TV is in a mode to output audio via ARC, like apps and internal tuner. But it seems an issue with Samsung TVs), the receiver should automatically turn to TV input in order for the receiver to output audio from TV. You should be able to turn off HDMI CEC 'control function' in receiver settings without turning off ARC as you already have Harmony to control all the inputs. This way, you can still have ARC working if you switch to TV input.

It's an LG TV. I turned off the CEC from the set and everything is OK now. I'm just wondering why this was never a problem with my Yamahas.
post #116 of 1737 Old 04-03-2013, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Probably because your Yamaha does not support ARC. ARC support in receivers is relatively new. You can keep the CEC on your TV on but configure your receiver properly to ingore the input switch. This way, if you use any of the TV's app like Netflix etc, it will send audio back to receiver via the same HDMI cable and you switch the receiver to TV input to listen to it.
vivatech likes this.
post #117 of 1737 Old 04-03-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:

Probably because your Yamaha does not support ARC. ARC support in receivers is relatively new. You can keep the CEC on your TV on but configure your receiver properly to ingore the input switch. This way, if you use any of the TV's app like Netflix etc, it will send audio back to receiver via the same HDMI cable and you switch the receiver to TV input to listen to it.

The Yamahas are an RX-A1000 and an RX-V867 - both only a few years old and both with ARC support.

Any idea how I can configure the receiver how to ignore the switch to the TV input if I turn the CEC control back on?
post #118 of 1737 Old 04-03-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked: 416
In DTS Neo:X mode, will this particular receiver's DSP decode BOTH the back surround channels and extract wide or height channels AT THE SAME TIME?

Due to processor power variations in mid and upper receiver models that include DTS Neo:X, some can only do 7.1 channels at once and you have to choose between outputting back surrounds and front heights or wides, or 9.1 with back surrounds plus either front heights or front wides, or the full 11.1 processing with backs, front heights and front wides fully engaged at the same time (and the receiver usually has 9 amps with pre-amp outs for the extra pair of channels).

I would assume that the 1522k has the middle 9.1 DTS Neo:X decoder version, or am I wrong?

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #119 of 1737 Old 04-03-2013, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Yamahas are an RX-A1000 and an RX-V867 - both only a few years old and both with ARC support.

Any idea how I can configure the receiver how to ignore the switch to the TV input if I turn the CEC control back on?

In receiver setup screen, select System Setup-> HDMI setup. Turn 'Control Mode' off should turn off the input switch. Leave the ARC on. My current TV attached to this receiver has no ARC, So I can't test this feature.
post #120 of 1737 Old 04-03-2013, 11:13 AM

Anyone using the iControl App with the receiver? If so are you using the EQ, virtual speakers, or Sound explorer? Over a Harmony remote, is the benefit not having to worry about line of sight? Or really a benefit for Airplay so you can power up and start playing music from anywhere?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Sc 1522k 9 2 Channel Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - 1522k by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page