*Official* Pioneer SC-1522 9.2 Network ready AV receiver owners thread - Page 41 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1201 of 1747 Old 06-12-2013, 06:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratclib2014 View Post

I'm hoping when I get some new high quality speakers soon - I will see much improvement as the ones I have now suck!
To go with my 2 new SC1522 I upgraded speakers with HTD dot com speakers (Level 3 floor and 10 - HD ceiling), whole house amp, and more. Excellent sound and great customer service. Big savings over B&W that I was going to order from BB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1202 of 1747 Old 06-12-2013, 03:29 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguyhileman View Post

I gotcha and I mean't no disrespect in my reply. I wasn't trying to be rude or anything. I appreciate any and all help.

No apologies required, I am not thin skinned, and I also do not consider myself anywhere near an expert. I do think pretty rationally (at least most of the time), however, and try to help by reasoning my way through things. I try not to jump to the conclusion that "the darn thing is junk" too early and try all possible solution paths before throwing in that towel. Good luck with the unit and don't mind my 2 cents now and then.

Jeff
post #1203 of 1747 Old 06-13-2013, 05:53 AM

After getting a chance to finally sit down and play with the AVR a little, I've come to the conclusion that the problem was in my head. I had unrealistic expectations for the new AVR and speakers. I was expecting to get hit with a wall of sound like in the Magnolia listening room, but my open floor plan, tall ceilings, and budget speakers choice will not allow this.

I also think that my subwoofer (Cerwin Vega LW-12) is now proving to be a weak link. With my old system, I was using large front speakers and the sub was only for LFE; since I am now using bookshelf speakers (Infinity 163's), the sub has to take over the bass duties for the entire system which it is proving that it cannot do well. I'm guessing that a new sub will help.

I also listened to music from the satellite music channels. It sounded much better than from my MP3 player. Anyways, thanks to all for trying to help troubleshoot my "problem". wink.gif
post #1204 of 1747 Old 06-13-2013, 05:53 AM

After getting a chance to finally sit down and play with the AVR a little, I've come to the conclusion that the problem was in my head. I had unrealistic expectations for the new AVR and speakers. I was expecting to get hit with a wall of sound like in the Magnolia listening room, but my open floor plan, tall ceilings, and budget speakers choice will not allow this.

I also think that my subwoofer (Cerwin Vega LW-12) is now proving to be a weak link. With my old system, I was using large front speakers and the sub was only for LFE; since I am now using bookshelf speakers (Infinity 163's), the sub has to take over the bass duties for the entire system which it is proving that it cannot do well. I'm guessing that a new sub will help.

I also listened to music from the satellite music channels. It sounded much better than from my MP3 player. Anyways, thanks to all for trying to help troubleshoot my "problem". wink.gif
post #1205 of 1747 Old 06-13-2013, 07:52 PM

So I finally found the culprit of all the hand shake issues. I had a HDMI splitter that was causing all the problems. Took that out before my Darbee, and all is well. I really like the sound of the 1522 over the 818. It just sounds less muffled. Hopefully anyone else having issues can use this info. in some way.
post #1206 of 1747 Old 06-13-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grpape View Post

So I finally found the culprit of all the hand shake issues. I had a HDMI splitter that was causing all the problems. Took that out before my Darbee, and all is well. I really like the sound of the 1522 over the 818. It just sounds less muffled. Hopefully anyone else having issues can use this info. in some way.

Also using a long HDMI cable has issues too. I was using a 12ft cable to connect my laptop/camcorder through front HDMI which never worked. After changing it to 6ft, it worked
post #1207 of 1747 Old 06-14-2013, 03:36 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by grpape View Post

Is anyone having any handshaking issues? I notice when using the 1522 I have white blinks while watching cable, audo and video drop outs when watching blurays, PS3 video drop outs. I didn't have this problem using my 818 or another Pioneer 1120. I would think if it was a Pioneer thing, the 1120 would have the same symptoms. I have used different HDMI cables, and it's more than just one input. I want to keep the 1522, but if I can't figure this out, it's gonna have to go back.

Thanks for any help

Yes, I've had some handshake issues as well, but it's only with my H/K DVD 48 player and nothing else. I believe the problem is in the cable, because, for one, it's a stock HDMI cable that came with the DVD player, so I know it's not the best quality. Every other HDMI cable I'm using is an upgrade to whatever comes with a player and I have absolutely no problems with handshakes on them. And secondly, so far I haven't gotten a handshake issue when I first turn on the H/K DVD 48 player and then the Pioneer (with DVD input selected). If I try to do the reverse, then I get a weird purple and green H/K DVD 48 screen logo. But, if I turn on the source component first and THEN the Pioneer receiver, no handshake issue. It hasn't bothered me enough to change the cable, though, because all I have to make sure is the sequencing of what gets turned on first, second, etc.
post #1208 of 1747 Old 06-15-2013, 11:29 AM

Need some help with zone 2 guys!

I have an Apple TV that I used an optical cable to a monoprice optical/ RCA converter since pioneer inexplicably designed their zone 2 to not support digital audio. So the audio now works fine if I am air playing music to zone 2 and also works fine if I preview a movie through Apple TV. But when I stream a TV show via Netflix all I get is horrible noise out of my zone 2 speakers. Anyone know what gives?

Thanks so much for the help.
post #1209 of 1747 Old 06-15-2013, 01:14 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mharris2007 View Post

Need some help with zone 2 guys!

I have an Apple TV that I used an optical cable to a monoprice optical/ RCA converter since pioneer inexplicably designed their zone 2 to not support digital audio. So the audio now works fine if I am air playing music to zone 2 and also works fine if I preview a movie through Apple TV. But when I stream a TV show via Netflix all I get is horrible noise out of my zone 2 speakers. Anyone know what gives?

Thanks so much for the help.

Matt

Just a wild guess based on a similar problem I had. The Apple Toslink port doesn't put out Dolby Digital. (I think I am saying this right.) I had to go into the Apple TV settings and change the Dolby Digital output to "Off" to get any sound over to my Toslink/RCA converter when Netflix was playing an enhanced sound movie. This has nothing to do with Pioneer's Zone 2 but might be a step in the right direction. I do this for my headset audio, a sort of personal "Zone 2."

Bob Sackett
post #1210 of 1747 Old 06-16-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alnilam1 View Post

Just a wild guess based on a similar problem I had. The Apple Toslink port doesn't put out Dolby Digital. (I think I am saying this right.) I had to go into the Apple TV settings and change the Dolby Digital output to "Off" to get any sound over to my Toslink/RCA converter when Netflix was playing an enhanced sound movie. This has nothing to do with Pioneer's Zone 2 but might be a step in the right direction. I do this for my headset audio, a sort of personal "Zone 2."

Wow! This is great to know and how you figured that out I have no idea. I will definitely look into this.

As an aside. When I got tried to go in and make the changes you suggested, I noticed that the light on the converter wasn't on. Tried to plug and unplug it and it was dead. The noise I was hearing may have been the converter dying. Although, AirPlay was still working at that point :-/

Thanks for your help!!
post #1211 of 1747 Old 06-16-2013, 07:50 PM

Liked: 15
I'm currently using 7.1 + B setting for speakers. Now that summer is here and I'm on vacation (teacher), I can listen to music as loudly as I wish in the house (my wife made the choice NOT to work for a school, so SHE gets to work during the summer). I have a matched set of Kef 3005's for my 7.1, but I also have a couple of Kef towers I can hook up to listen to stereo CDs at a higher level of fidelity. I've been reading the manual, which really doesn't give me a straight answer re listening to the towers ONLY, turning off the 7.1 setup. It implies I can do it with the Zone 2 setup, but it's not entirely clear. Is anybody here running a system where they have surround for movies but a dedicated 2-speaker setup for CD? I'd be running all media through an Oppo BDP-103. If so, can you let me know how you accomplished that? Thanks.
post #1212 of 1747 Old 06-17-2013, 04:14 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by 117olddude View Post

I'm currently using 7.1 + B setting for speakers. Now that summer is here and I'm on vacation (teacher), I can listen to music as loudly as I wish in the house (my wife made the choice NOT to work for a school, so SHE gets to work during the summer). I have a matched set of Kef 3005's for my 7.1, but I also have a couple of Kef towers I can hook up to listen to stereo CDs at a higher level of fidelity. I've been reading the manual, which really doesn't give me a straight answer re listening to the towers ONLY, turning off the 7.1 setup. It implies I can do it with the Zone 2 setup, but it's not entirely clear. Is anybody here running a system where they have surround for movies but a dedicated 2-speaker setup for CD? I'd be running all media through an Oppo BDP-103. If so, can you let me know how you accomplished that? Thanks.

I believe that if you open the front panel, there's a Speaker button. It will toggle between Speaker A, Speaker B, Speakers A+B. I think you'd want Speaker B to get audio out of your 2nd zone.

post #1213 of 1747 Old 06-17-2013, 05:39 AM

Update- Seems like I wasn't crazy afterall. There was a problem causing my receiver to output lower-than-normal volume. I finally got around to assembling my nice looking speaker cables (Monoprice in-wall 12 ga with techflex) this weekend, and the sound dramatically improved. Perhaps there was a short in one of the old speaker wires that I was using to temporarily hook up the system. Anyways, the output is where I would expect it to be now: about -40 for TV and -20 for loud music.
post #1214 of 1747 Old 06-17-2013, 05:39 AM

Update- Seems like I wasn't crazy afterall. There was a problem causing my receiver to output lower-than-normal volume. I finally got around to assembling my nice looking speaker cables (Monoprice in-wall 12 ga with techflex) this weekend, and the sound dramatically improved. Perhaps there was a short in one of the old speaker wires that I was using to temporarily hook up the system. Anyways, the output is where I would expect it to be now: about -40 for TV and -20 for loud music.
post #1215 of 1747 Old 06-17-2013, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Hey guys if anyone missed out on the great Costco deal. I have a perfectly functioning 1522 that will be going back to a Seattle area (Puyallup) Costco this week.
post #1216 of 1747 Old 06-17-2013, 10:29 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer_Elte View Post

I believe that if you open the front panel, there's a Speaker button. It will toggle between Speaker A, Speaker B, Speakers A+B. I think you'd want Speaker B to get audio out of your 2nd zone.

That got it. I also found the Speaker switch on the remote. Walls are shaking today. smile.gif

Thanks for the help!
post #1217 of 1747 Old 06-17-2013, 03:35 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampa frank View Post

Glad you figured it out TF. I'm sure if the wires were indeed shorted, your receiver would have shut down, there is protection circuitry. Must have been something else, light gage wire?

Why go out to a movie theater?
post #1218 of 1747 Old 06-17-2013, 03:54 PM

I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question and I'm just missing something. I have 5:2 Set up with my Zone 2 Wired Outside. Everything works great but I can't figure out Airplay on Zone 2. My wireless network extends to my outside deck. How do I Airplay in Zone 2 from my Phone on my wifi network? I tried hitting the Speakers button on the front Panel but Speaker A & off is the only option. Airplay always goes to main zone? I'm sure I'm just missing something stupid - any help would be appreciated.
post #1219 of 1747 Old 06-18-2013, 02:54 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question and I'm just missing something. I have 5:2 Set up with my Zone 2 Wired Outside. Everything works great but I can't figure out Airplay on Zone 2. My wireless network extends to my outside deck. How do I Airplay in Zone 2 from my Phone on my wifi network? I tried hitting the Speakers button on the front Panel but Speaker A & off is the only option. Airplay always goes to main zone? I'm sure I'm just missing something stupid - any help would be appreciated.

Assuming you are using an I device, use the remote app and click on zone 2. This week allow you to control that zone and week show you the available inputs for it as well.
post #1220 of 1747 Old 06-18-2013, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Has anyone one here used a different calibration mic.? If so can you recommend one? I cannot find the stock calibration mic. I was going to blame my kids for it rolleyes.gif lol. Also, does a 2nd sub appear under the speaker set up after you run MCACC or only one? Thanks for the help.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #1221 of 1747 Old 06-18-2013, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Has anyone one here used a different calibration mic.? If so can you recommend one? I cannot find the stock calibration mic. I was going to blame my kids for it rolleyes.gif lol. Also, does a 2nd sub appear under the speaker set up after you run MCACC or only one? Thanks for the help.

Can't answer about the mic, but the AVR will only see 1 sub. Even though the AVR has 2 sub outs they are Y'ed together internally.
post #1222 of 1747 Old 06-18-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharel View Post

Can't answer about the mic, but the AVR will only see 1 sub. Even though the AVR has 2 sub outs they are Y'ed together internally.

That's what I thought. No need to re-run MCACC then. I might end up buying a USB mic and try to use REW. Looking in to it right now. I'm not really sure which mic to buy though.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #1223 of 1747 Old 06-18-2013, 09:46 AM

I
Quote:

Im not sure if you are usimg an apple tv or going dirextly from the receiver for airplay, but I just ran in to this problem last week with the Apple TV. So pioneer inexplicably made this receiver to only be able to transmit audio to zone 2 via RCA analog output. Apple TV doesn't have RCA analog outputs so you will need to buy a digital (optical) to analog converter from monoprice or similar. I did this but the converter already died so another is on the way. When it was working on for a minute the airplay worked fine but the Netflix streaming sound did not. And another user on this forum was kind enough to tell me that apple does not output Dolby surround via optical so you have to turn this off in the Apple TV. I am going to try this once my new converter gets here hopefully today. Hope this helps.
post #1224 of 1747 Old 06-18-2013, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Can always try to call Pioneer Warranty, tell them you don't recall one being in the box and see if they'll send you a replacement one.

post #1225 of 1747 Old 06-18-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post

I want floor standing speakers. Space is not an issue the room is 22x19 and carpeted and opens to the kitchen. It has to look nice though wife likes the piano black finish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2AUDIO View Post

That's a pretty good size listening area. Not knowing what your budget is for speakers, I think the PSB Image Series or the JBL Studio L Series might suit you well. I owned the JBL Studio L 890 a few years back, and they were, without a doubt, one of the best floorstanding speakers I've owned. They weren't piano black (black ash vinyl instead), but they were the most dynamic speaker I've heard. They each weighed about 60lbs, with TWO 8-inch woofers, a 4-inch midrange, a tweeter, and a super-tweeter. Check them out on JBL's website. If it wasn't for the fact that my listening area is only 12 x 10 (converted a spare bedroom into a HT room), I never would have sold them. You can pick them or the Studio L 880s (each with dual 6-inch woofers) up for a decent internet price now that the series has been out for a while. Getting piano black speakers may run you a premium, but I understand about the WAF (wife acceptance factor)! biggrin.gif

I have Around the same Listening area and have the JBL ES Studio Series and Sound Great; Front ES80BK, Surround ES10BK, Center Channel ES25CBK and Subwoofer Klipsch RW-12D; I always love the Sound of the JBL Speakers, Of Course Speakers and Sound is a Matter of Preferences.
Also you can BI-AMP the Front Speakers and Have 7.2 + BI-AMP on this Receiver, That was my main reason to buy this Receiver, I’m still believe That my Yamaha RX-V1065 / 7.2 Sound Better in certain ways, But You Cannot find Better deal on a 9.2 Channel Receiver; a 9.2 Channel Yamaha 2020 cost $1600 and the 3020 $2000.
Probably this is too late for You, But may Help somebody else looking Speakers for this Pioneer Receiver
Since these Speakers are not a new Model you can find it at a really good price and probably you can still find the whole Studio ES line like I did.
I start with the Front Towers and liked so much the sound that I order the Center Channel to have even sound especially in Dialog, then I order the 4 book shelf for Surround and finish with 7 JBL Studio ES series.
I bought the Center Channel and Surround Speakers in Amazon at a really Good Price,
I didn’t get my Front Towers in Amazon I get it at Fry’s on sale for $138 each, but if you wanted Amazon is the best price right now, Fry’s put these Front Speakers on Sale Really often and I was watching for the Sale.

JBL ES80BK 3-Way, Dual 6 1/2" Floor standing Speaker – Black $199/ each /FS
http://www.amazon.com/JBL-ES80BK-3-Way-Floorstanding-Speaker/dp/B00166ZFXO/ref=pd_sim_e_5

JBL ES10BK 3-Way, 4" Bookshelf Speaker - Black (Pair) $149 / Free shipping
http://www.amazon.com/JBL-ES10BK-3-Way-Bookshelf-Speaker/dp/B00167340Y/ref=pd_sim_e_7

JBL ES25CBK 3-Way, Dual 5 1/4" $170 / Free shipping
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00166VDKS/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3LJ5WMKNRFKQS
post #1226 of 1747 Old 06-18-2013, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Another option would be the jbl studio 1 series 190. Very similar specs. But a bit cheaper if you can still find em. I got a set and really like them compared to the Polk m50s I had. However in the looks department.... You may want to run a pic by your SO
post #1227 of 1747 Old 06-18-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4s View Post

That's a lotta hotdogs.
Also chickens and wine Costco is the biggest importer of wine in the US, and i don't remember how many millions of rotisserie chickens they sell a year
post #1228 of 1747 Old 06-19-2013, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

AirPlay and the iControlAV2012 app doesn't work. I added a Trendnet 8 port switch to my network yesterday. That's the only thing that's different.

I tried resetting my modem/router and switches, but that didn't work. I can see the 1522 in the iControl app, but I get the following error

62F42194-466A-4E36-9A3E-1026A5962DF3-14865-00000C581C55A833_zps40a91647.jpg

It has an IP address and port 23 being used by the AVR. The iControl app has the same IP address, but using port 8203.

I'm going to work so I won't be able to work on this till later.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #1229 of 1747 Old 06-19-2013, 08:11 PM

Liked: 17
I had a similar issue. Went into network set up and cycled DHCP on, saved setup (of course still no connection), then turned DHCP off again, saved setup, and everything was working again. Page 96 of manual. Why? I dunno. :-/

Why go out to a movie theater?
post #1230 of 1747 Old 06-19-2013, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Unplugging the receiver for about a minute fixed this issue the one time I had it.

Allen
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Sc 1522k 9 2 Channel Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - 1522k by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page