*Official* Pioneer SC-1522 9.2 Network ready AV receiver owners thread - Page 46 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1351 of 1734 Old 07-09-2013, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is my first Internet programmable, multi zone AVR. I was hoping for a solution to listen to anything the AVR has from any zone. I have always used a primary AVR with pre-outs to other amps and never restricted as to what I can listen to from the main amp. For instance Sirius goes into the main AVR and then can be selected on/off in any connected amp or intercom system.

The manual indicated (pg 75) that "you can toggle between zone 2 and zone 3". I was looking for a way to switch the outputs. Looks like some kind of multi input/output audio switch would work or use a second amp. I just did not think I would have to use a second amp with a multi-zone AVR! Do you know of any such switch with remote control?

Do all of the multi-zone AVR's limit what you can listen to in the zones?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 1734 Old 07-09-2013, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Multi-zone = PITA.
post #1353 of 1734 Old 07-09-2013, 12:30 PM

Liked: 11
You have a total of 9 amps to work with, that will drive 9 total speakers (not counting subs). You also have Zone 2 & 3 line out to an external amp. If you have a 9.2 main, you must use the line out for both zones. If you have a 7.2 main, you can drive zone 2 speakers from the remaining 2 amps. 5.2 main gives you amp output for both zone 2 & 3, assuming no bi-amping. You will need an external amp if you want to drive more than 9 total speakers.

The built-in Sirius is Internet radio & can only be sent to the main & zone 2. If you have an external Sirius satellite radio, you can use it's line out for input to a red/white pair of analog inputs. You can then switch this input to any zone you want.

Check Monoprice to see if they have a speaker switch, they have a lot of audio gear.

Allen
post #1354 of 1734 Old 07-10-2013, 11:05 AM

Hello folks, this is my first post in this forum. I'd been an avid reader of this forum, went through several threads and have to say I am amazed with the wisdom, knowledge & info I found here.
I had been thinking of setting up my first Home Theater for some time and finally bought SC-1522-K from COSTCO during april-may time frame. I couldn't set it up before as I've been away for work and got time to set it up this weekend.

I must say the Receiver is a splendid piece of work both for music & movies. Rocks and vocals sound amazing.

I'm struggling with my Media Server set up though and need your expert advise. I use Nero media Home 4 & Windows Media Player 11 both as media server to stream movies, music & pictures. I understand SC-1522-K supports only music though. My SC-1522-K is wired to my wireless Router (DLink DIR-655). When I switch the input to Media Server, the receiver prompt shows me a message Please Wait.... for couple of minutes and then displays WFADevice. It neither shows Nero nor Windows Media Player. WFADevice is a Wi Fi device and looks like it detects my router but for some reason cannot connect to the media servers. I've UPnP feature Enabled on my router. I've an LG Smart TV and can access my PC contents using both Nero & Windows Media. I'm wondering is it router or I happen to pick up a faulty SC-1522-K?

Have any of you faced similar issues with SC-1522-K Media Server?

Thanks for going through my post. Appreciate your help.
post #1355 of 1734 Old 07-10-2013, 12:00 PM

Sorry if this has been asked before. But I have a speakers question.

I just bought the Pioneer SC-1522 9.2 at Costco.

My room is big enough to support a 5.1 speaker setup and I don't intend to buy something beyond that anyways.

My original budget for a Home Theater was around $1000, and the receiver has eaten up $600 + tax of that already. I can't complain since I am getting a 9.2 receiver for the price of a good 5.1 receiver.

If my budget is around $500 for a 5.1 speaker setup, could you please recommend something for me. I've been leaning towards the Energy Take Classic 5.1 based on people's reviews here. I haven't heard this or any other setup yet.

I am leaning towards book shelfs that I will be mounting on the wall as to keep SHMBO happy.

I am open to starting

a) without a sub. Will a system sound good without the sub ?
or even
b) with just the center channel, front left, front right speakers with no sub and no surrounds. I will add the sub and sorrounds later. Will a system sound good without the sub and the sorrounds ?

Of course if I go with one of the above choices I would like to spend less than $500 for now.

I know that for a receiver of this calliber the budget that I am considering for the speakers is cheap, but that's what I have to spend right now.

Thanks in advance.
post #1356 of 1734 Old 07-10-2013, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by som1978 View Post

Hello folks, this is my first post in this forum. I'd been an avid reader of this forum, went through several threads and have to say I am amazed with the wisdom, knowledge & info I found here.
I had been thinking of setting up my first Home Theater for some time and finally bought SC-1522-K from COSTCO during april-may time frame. I couldn't set it up before as I've been away for work and got time to set it up this weekend.

I must say the Receiver is a splendid piece of work both for music & movies. Rocks and vocals sound amazing.

I'm struggling with my Media Server set up though and need your expert advise. I use Nero media Home 4 & Windows Media Player 11 both as media server to stream movies, music & pictures. I understand SC-1522-K supports only music though. My SC-1522-K is wired to my wireless Router (DLink DIR-655). When I switch the input to Media Server, the receiver prompt shows me a message Please Wait.... for couple of minutes and then displays WFADevice. It neither shows Nero nor Windows Media Player. WFADevice is a Wi Fi device and looks like it detects my router but for some reason cannot connect to the media servers. I've UPnP feature Enabled on my router. I've an LG Smart TV and can access my PC contents using both Nero & Windows Media. I'm wondering is it router or I happen to pick up a faulty SC-1522-K?

I had a "HOW TO" on this thread for setting up the shares for my set up. You might want to give that a try. I am at work right now so I can't really try to find it. Hopefully, someone can do that.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #1357 of 1734 Old 07-10-2013, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by som1978 View Post

DIR-655 is known to drop UPnP traffic between LAN ports. The option you need to enable is multi-cast option on the router setup. Give that a try.
post #1358 of 1734 Old 07-10-2013, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally_br View Post

Sorry if this has been asked before. But I have a speakers question.

I just bought the Pioneer SC-1522 9.2 at Costco.

My room is big enough to support a 5.1 speaker setup and I don't intend to buy something beyond that anyways.

My original budget for a Home Theater was around $1000, and the receiver has eaten up $600 + tax of that already. I can't complain since I am getting a 9.2 receiver for the price of a good 5.1 receiver.

If my budget is around $500 for a 5.1 speaker setup, could you please recommend something for me. I've been leaning towards the Energy Take Classic 5.1 based on people's reviews here. I haven't heard this or any other setup yet.

I am leaning towards book shelfs that I will be mounting on the wall as to keep SHMBO happy.

I am open to starting

a) without a sub. Will a system sound good without the sub ?
or even
b) with just the center channel, front left, front right speakers with no sub and no surrounds. I will add the sub and sorrounds later. Will a system sound good without the sub and the sorrounds ?

Of course if I go with one of the above choices I would like to spend less than $500 for now.

I know that for a receiver of this calliber the budget that I am considering for the speakers is cheap, but that's what I have to spend right now.

Thanks in advance.

I would suggest to save a little more and get better speakers or else you will regret it later. Trust me I've been there. You will need a sub. I would suggest looking at the Pioneers BS22 bookshelf speakers. They usually go on sale for $77 dollars a pair at Frys.com. The center C22 usually goes on sale for $79. I would suggest buying the Klipsch RW-12D usually on sale for $279.99 on newegg.com. That would set you back $455.99. Much better than the Energy Take Classic, which were selling for $50 dollars at Sears for the whole 5.1 set up.
Mikeclough24 likes this.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #1359 of 1734 Old 07-10-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

I would suggest to save a little more and get better speakers or else you will regret it later. Trust me I've been there. You will need a sub. I would suggest looking at the Pioneers BS22 bookshelf speakers. They usually go on sale for $77 dollars a pair at Frys.com. The center C22 usually goes on sale for $79. I would suggest buying the Klipsch RW-12D usually on sale for $279.99 on newegg.com. That would set you back $455.99. Much better than the Energy Take Classic, which were selling for $50 dollars at Sears for the whole 5.1 set up.

Thanks for the suggestions Gus. I will look into the models you recommend.
post #1360 of 1734 Old 07-10-2013, 11:32 PM

Thanks Foxbat121, I would enable multicast & let you know how it went.
post #1361 of 1734 Old 07-11-2013, 08:13 PM

This is probably the dumbest question someone has asked about this receiver, but please bare with me. confused.gif

I haven't opened the box yet for the receiver after buying it from Costco for reasons I won't go into. May be not for a few weeks. So, I can't check this yet.

My entertainment rack is only 16 inches deep, while the receiver is a little over 17" in depth.

Can someone tell me how far back the front legs on the bottom of the receiver are from the front end of the receiver. Also how far forward are the rear legs of the receiver from the back of the unit. I want to make sure that the legs would at least sit on the rack even if the front and back of the receiver are jutting out. Based on how far the receiver juts out in the back I would have to move the entertainment rack away from the wall to accommodate the receiver plus the few inches needed for the wires that are connected at the back of the receiver.

How far do you guys keep your receiver from the back wall to allow space for the wires?

Thanks in advance.
post #1362 of 1734 Old 07-11-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtpro View Post

I’m In the same boat as you and still not convinced to give up my Yamaha for this Pioneer, I have all my speakers with Banana plugs and switch receivers already 3 times listen the Pioneer and then connect the Yamaha same Music same Movie Chapters to Compare Sounds and effects and Playing with all the Pioneer Settings trying to make it sound how I liked, I do not want to give up on this bargain since I know a 9.2 channels receiver price is around $1500.
Good Luck

I went back to my Yamaha after test the receiver with the 9 speakers using the 9 channels i was not really happy with the results and make the decision of returned but instead I offer the receiver to a friend of mine and sold to him for the same amount i paid, he is Really Happy with the receiver since he was looking for an upgrade of his Home Theater System
post #1363 of 1734 Old 07-11-2013, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally_br View Post

This is probably the dumbest question someone has asked about this receiver, but please bare with me. confused.gif

I haven't opened the box yet for the receiver after buying it from Costco for reasons I won't go into. May be not for a few weeks. So, I can't check this yet.

My entertainment rack is only 16 inches deep, while the receiver is a little over 17" in depth.

Can someone tell me how far back the front legs on the bottom of the receiver are from the front end of the receiver. Also how far forward are the rear legs of the receiver from the back of the unit. I want to make sure that the legs would at least sit on the rack even if the front and back of the receiver are jutting out. Based on how far the receiver juts out in the back I would have to move the entertainment rack away from the wall to accommodate the receiver plus the few inches needed for the wires that are connected at the back of the receiver.

How far do you guys keep your receiver from the back wall to allow space for the wires?

Thanks in advance.

Luckily, the TV Stand I bought was deep enough to set up my 1522, but the front does come out of it about 2 inches or else the speaker wires will bend too much. You can also remove the AVR's legs that might help a little bit.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #1364 of 1734 Old 07-12-2013, 03:41 AM

Quote:

Luckily, the TV Stand I bought was deep enough to set up my 1522, but the front does come out of it about 2 inches or else the speaker wires will bend too much. You can also remove the AVR's legs that might help a little bit.

Thanks for the response Gus. I guess I'll be removing the legs then.
post #1365 of 1734 Old 07-12-2013, 04:44 AM

Quote:

You can also remove the AVR's legs that might help a little bit.
GusGus, that's a nono ... you want airflow around the receiver for cooling. Removing the legs could cause overheating problem.

Wally, the receiver box is 15.5" deep. The legs are 12" center to center. I have mine sitting on a 17" open back & front shelf and it fits great. You will need at least 3" behind for wiring (even that will be tight, could put stress on cables where they bend). Mine is about a foot from the wall, that gives me room to get behind to work with the wiring. If you have a closed cabinet, I would think of cutting open the back behind the receiver.

Allen
post #1366 of 1734 Old 07-12-2013, 05:05 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Another option would be to get a sheet of wood (~3/16"), paint it the color of your shelf and put this between the AVR and the shelf. This way, you can have all the legs of the AVR firmly on the wood and keep the integrity of the airflow.
Plus, since this piece of wood will only be overhanging 1-2" past the edge of the 16" shelf and the bulk of the AVR weight will be a little towards the back of the AVR unit centerline, the CG will be well over the shelf to prevent a moment arm from tipping it over.

post #1367 of 1734 Old 07-12-2013, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apaulct View Post

GusGus, that's a nono ... you want airflow around the receiver for cooling. Removing the legs could cause overheating problem.

Wally, the receiver box is 15.5" deep. The legs are 12" center to center. I have mine sitting on a 17" open back & front shelf and it fits great. You will need at least 3" behind for wiring (even that will be tight, could put stress on cables where they bend). Mine is about a foot from the wall, that gives me room to get behind to work with the wiring. If you have a closed cabinet, I would think of cutting open the back behind the receiver.

My receiver doesn't get hot.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #1368 of 1734 Old 07-12-2013, 07:13 AM

How hot a receiver gets is mainly a function of the temperature of the air around the receiver, how much you are pushing it to drive the speakers (listening to loud volumes for long periods will use more power ~ more heat generated) and the air flow around the whole receiver. If the top doesn't have much room for ventilation and now you remove the feet, natural convetion can't take place through the top and bottom vents. When this happens, the temperature inside the case and the junction temperatures of the IC's will rise and potentially cause them to either not function properly or be permanently damaged.

There are only three ways for heat to be transfered, conduction, convection & radiation. In the case of the AVR, it is mostly convection with some radiation. Since there's no specific "cold-plate" to be the "heat sink", the thermal guys at Pioneer didn't use conduction as a method to get the heat out, and I wouldn't expect the outer case to get hot unless you have a serious problem. You really have to measure/record the temperature of the air escaping for period of time to fully understand if you potentially have a thermal issue.

Plus, natural convection is a function of gravity (among other things). The air enters the chassis from the bottom vents and the free-convection takes the heat out of the top vents. If the air vents weren't needed, Pioneer wouldn't have spent the $ to add a step during the manufacturing process to punch them in the case.

post #1369 of 1734 Old 07-12-2013, 07:18 AM

Read the warnings page (pg 2) of the manual:

"Slots and openings in the cabinet are provided for ventilation to ensure reliable operation of the product, and to protect it from overheating. To prevent fire hazard, the openings should never be blocked or covered with items (such as newspapers, table-cloths, curtains) or by operating the equipment on thick carpet or a bed."

Great explanation of the cooling function, Pioneer_Elte.

Allen
post #1370 of 1734 Old 07-12-2013, 07:31 AM

Back to the OP, the receiver will fit fine on a 16" shelf. As you said, you will need space between it & the wall for the wires.

Allen
post #1371 of 1734 Old 07-12-2013, 07:33 AM

Many people have destroyed their laptop by leaving them running while the laptop sat on a comforter and covered all the vents and fans on the bottom.
In some extreme cases, the overheating started a fire.

post #1372 of 1734 Old 07-12-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

DIR-655 is known to drop UPnP traffic between LAN ports. The option you need to enable is multi-cast option on the router setup. Give that a try.
Foxbat121 - you're a life saver smile.gif. I enabled multicast stream option in my router DIR-655. Walla! that did the trick. After i rebooted my router, SC-1522-K recognized both Nero & WMP11 within seconds. Now I can listen to my mp3 collections like a charm.
Thanks a ton buddy. I owe you a salute smile.gif
post #1373 of 1734 Old 07-12-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:

I had a "HOW TO" on this thread for setting up the shares for my set up. You might want to give that a try. I am at work right now so I can't really try to find it. Hopefully, someone can do that.
Thanks GusGus. i would find some time over the weekend to go through the threads and do the reading. I'm sure it will have a lot to offer. I'm happy with Fpxbat's recommendation, am back to listening my media server. Thanks for your help.
post #1374 of 1734 Old 07-12-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer_Elte View Post

Another option would be to get a sheet of wood (~3/16"), paint it the color of your shelf and put this between the AVR and the shelf. This way, you can have all the legs of the AVR firmly on the wood and keep the integrity of the airflow.
Plus, since this piece of wood will only be overhanging 1-2" past the edge of the 16" shelf and the bulk of the AVR weight will be a little towards the back of the AVR unit centerline, the CG will be well over the shelf to prevent a moment arm from tipping it over.
Quote:

Back to the OP, the receiver will fit fine on a 16" shelf. As you said, you will need space between it & the wall for the wires.

Thanks for the info everyone. Also, excellent explanation about the cooling function Pioneer_Elte

My cabinet is enclosed and the door will definitely not fit if I put the receiver inside. Like apaulct mentioned , as the feet are 12 inches apart I can definitely let is sit above the rack. Now I need to convince SHMBO to let me move the cabinet a bit forward from the wall give some space for the wiring in the back.

Thanks again.
post #1375 of 1734 Old 07-13-2013, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Most receivers also do not have a fan on the side..... Just saying. Plus with this unit having class d amps it is much more efficient which translate to less heat.
post #1376 of 1734 Old 07-13-2013, 04:28 PM

Liked: 17
I believe I've seen in this thread that there is a fan inside the 1522. Still keeping a gap all the way around, all 6 sides would be prudent. The amp in this AVR is probably a lot cooler runner than others. My Yamaha AVR got downright hot, my Onkyo was on fire...almost. Love the 1522, let me count the ways... ;-)

Why go out to a movie theater?
post #1377 of 1734 Old 07-13-2013, 05:27 PM

The fan is on the left sidewall of the chassis.

post #1378 of 1734 Old 07-14-2013, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
So what kind of settings do you guys use when high definition audio isn't available? I recently sold my ps3 and now I can't get high def audio using Netflix on my htpc which drives me crazy! Does anyone else have this problem? I hear roku has high def..

Mike Clough #24
post #1379 of 1734 Old 07-14-2013, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Windows 8 Netflix app will let you get HD audio (DD+) and HD video (Super HD if your ISP supports it). Regular web based Netflix player will limit you to 720p max video and stereo audio. Most new BD players also have similar Netflix HD audio and video support.
post #1380 of 1734 Old 07-14-2013, 09:12 PM

Liked: 17
I'm partial to Dolby PL IIx Music mode for stereo sources, though cinema is quite good too. I find the THX settings to be too soft.

Why go out to a movie theater?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Sc 1522k 9 2 Channel Av Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page