*Official* Pioneer SC-1522 9.2 Network ready AV receiver owners thread - Page 49 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1441 of 1737 Old 07-27-2013, 05:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mharris2007 View Post

So my problem was that I was using icontrolav2013 which looks like this on the control screen:

So I downloaded the 2012 version and it looks exactly like you posted. What sort of nonsense is that that the latest version has less functionality than the older version. Smh.

Thanks again for your help.

Matt

If you tap the home icon on the bottom bar, the bar will move up to the center of the screen and the "Main" button will light up. Tapping the Main button will allow you to select which zone to control.

The UI is different in the 2013 version ... think I like the 2012 better.

Allen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 1737 Old 07-27-2013, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 225
The 2013 version of the app is not suppose to work with this receiver. In fact, if you use Android version of the app, it will re-direct you to download iControlAV2012 instead. For whatever reason, Pioneer choose to release yearly app version that only works with that year's models. Imagine you picked up a 2012 AVR like this and bought a new 2013 BD player. You need two apps to control two devices. Insanity!
post #1443 of 1737 Old 07-27-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Woot.com has the Elite SC-65 and SC-63 on sale. The SC-65 is $899.99 and the SC-63 is $699.99.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Theater Set Up:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1444 of 1737 Old 07-27-2013, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by apaulct View Post

If you tap the home icon on the bottom bar, the bar will move up to the center of the screen and the "Main" button will light up. Tapping the Main button will allow you to select which zone to control.

The UI is different in the 2013 version ... think I like the 2012 better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

The 2013 version of the app is not suppose to work with this receiver. In fact, if you use Android version of the app, it will re-direct you to download iControlAV2012 instead. For whatever reason, Pioneer choose to release yearly app version that only works with that year's models. Imagine you picked up a 2012 AVR like this and bought a new 2013 BD player. You need two apps to control two devices. Insanity!

That's some great information from both of you. Insanity is a good eay to describe all this. Pioneer doesn't exactly seem to be the most up to date on the technology side of things: Bad application implementation, no digital inputs allowed for zone two or three, analog standard def video only for different zone 2 video out. I guess I'll deal with all that though for the smokin' deal that we all got. Thanks again for the help.
post #1445 of 1737 Old 07-27-2013, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:

Pioneer doesn't exactly seem to be the most up to date on the technology side of things: Bad application implementation, no digital inputs allowed for zone two or three, analog standard def video only for different zone 2 video out. Matt

Pioneer does HDMI, just not in a 2012 receiver you probably paid $600 for. if you mean HDMI zones, read on & learn something...

Pioneer implemented multizone HDMI to zone 4 in last year's SC-68 and this year's new SC-79, 77, 75 models. not just in one of last year's budget model rolleyes.gif and they were the 1st one to introduce it to market, so how's that being outdated when they were actually using cutting edge technology for receivers and the 1st ones to do it?

some of you getting SC-1522's forget this is a low cost entry level 2012 model that hardly makes Pioneer "bad application implementation. what it means is you have unrealistic expectations for a close out deal on a 1 yr old model rolleyes.gif

the top Denon $2000 AVR-4520, introduced late last yr, AFTER Pioneer's SC-68 also only does analog audio/video in zones 2/3 and HDMI to a zone 4. Onkyo is no different. the highly regarded Marantz 8801 also doesn't do what I assume you mean is "up to date" and it came out this year and costs $3500! and Denon's new X receivers only have HDMI into 1 other zone, not 2, just like Pioneer. so please explain how Pioneer is outdated when...

...last year's top SC-68, the brand new Pioneer SC's, last year's top Denon, new Yamaha Aventages and new Denon X receivers all have HDMI zone capabilities? how is Pioneer outdated?

btw - Pioneer's new models now have a Party mode, which allows all room playback of an HDMI source, at least that's how I read it.

AFAIK, and I researched this a lot late year when people couldn't do digital multizone sources - NO receiver from ANYBODY could switch HDMI to 2 zones, or switched digital coax/opt to zone 2/3. NONE. the same is still true for digital audio, AFAIK, there is no receiver that does. and only this year is HDMI zone use becoming available in lower cost models, not just the top ones.

so tell is again why you think you are entitled to a top feature in last year's budget model?

if you truly wanted to use HDMI in another zone, you should have made a better buying decision instead of criticizing the company when you bought exactly the features that were in 2012 receivers in your price range, nothing more, nothing less

...you should have 1) bought a 2013 model or 2) look for a closeout deal on the SC-68

and no one with any common sense will find your comments valid.

people chasing "smokin deals", w/o adequately researching the item & complain about what they didn't get are tiresome tongue.gif
DaveCarrera4 likes this.

Steve
post #1446 of 1737 Old 07-27-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

Pioneer does HDMI, just not in a receiver you probably paid $600-700 for in your smokin' deal. if you mean HDMI, read on & learn something....

they switch HDMI to a zone 4 in the SC-68 and this year's new SC-79, 77, 75 models. not just in one of last year's budget model rolleyes.gif

some of you getting these deals forget this is last year's model, and Pioneer was the 1st out of the gate with an HDMI multizone capability. the first, not the last! that hardly makes Pioneer "bad application implementation".

the top Denon $2000 AVR-4520, introduced late last yr, AFTER Pioneer's SC-68 also only does analog audio/video in zones 2/3 and HDMI to a zone 4. Onkyo is no different. the highly regarded Marantz 8801 also doesn't do what I assume you mean is "up to date" and it came out this year and costs $3500! and Denon's new X receivers only have HDMI into 1 other zone, not 2, just like Pioneer. so please explain how Pioneer is outdated when...

...last year's top SC-68, the brand new Pioneer SC's, last year's top Denon, new Yamaha Aventages and new Denon X receivers all have HDMI zone capabilities? how is Pioneer outdated?

btw - Pioneer's new models now have a Party mode, which allows all room playback of an HDMI source, at least that's how I read it.

AFAIK, and I researched this a lot late year when people couldn't do digital multizone sources - NO receiver from ANYBODY could switch HDMI to 2 zones, or switched digital coax/opt to zone 2/3. NONE. the same is still true for digital audio, AFAIK, there is no receiver that does. and only this year is HDMI zone use becoming available in lower cost models, not just the top ones.

so tell is again why you think you are entitled to a top feature in last year's budget model?

if you truly wanted to use HDMI in another zone, you should have made a better buying decision instead of complain and saying the company is outdated because it actually was at the cutting edge at the time your model came out. it just wasn't a feature in a cheaper model which the SC-1522 is

...you should have 1) bought a 2013 model or 2) look for a used or deal on a SC-68.

you bought exactly the features that were in 2012 receivers in your price range, nothing more, nothing less.

and no one with any common sense will find your comments valid.

Wow you must have allot of time on your hands. Be sure to take a Xanax the next time you reply to something.
post #1447 of 1737 Old 07-27-2013, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Well you are the one wanting the features of a "flagship" receiver without paying for it and commenting that somehow Pioneer failed you. Everything SS9001 posted is accurate to the best of my knowledge. It is just that so many come to this site and make negative comments without having done their homework. With the complexity of modern receivers, it is truly up to the purchaser to determine their needs and to find a product offering the features they require PRIOR to purchase.
post #1448 of 1737 Old 07-27-2013, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow you must have allot of time on your hands. Be sure to take a Xanax the next time you reply to something.

let me guess, are you a gen X-er, by chance wink.gif

PeterK is dead-on right. you feel "entitled" to a flagship model feature on a cheap model close-out deal & criticizing the company for not having it.

you have no one to blame but yourself for not getting a feature you wanted or thought it should do. It ain't Pioneer's problem - it's yours for not doing your homework & chasing a deal instead of looking at the right models. you could have gotten an SC-75 at a discount, probably 20% or so, from a legit dealer, and gotten HDMI zones rolleyes.gif

I don't need Xanax, just tired of people spreading FUD & posting untrue, derogatory criticisms when they don't know what they are talking about tongue.gif

Steve
post #1449 of 1737 Old 07-27-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:

let me guess, are you a gen X-er, by chance wink.gif

PeterK is dead-on right. you feel "entitled" to a flagship model feature on a cheap model close-out deal & criticizing the company for not having it.

you have no one to blame but yourself for not getting a feature you wanted or thought it should do. It ain't Pioneer's problem - it's yours for not doing your homework & chasing a deal instead of looking at the right models. you could have gotten an SC-75 at a discount, probably 20% or so, from a legit dealer, and gotten HDMI zones rolleyes.gif

I don't need Xanax, just tired of people spreading FUD & posting untrue, derogatory criticisms when they don't know what they are talking about tongue.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post

Well you are the one wanting the features of a "flagship" receiver without paying for it and commenting that somehow Pioneer failed you. Everything SS9001 posted is accurate to the best of my knowledge. It is just that so many come to this site and make negative comments without having done their homework. With the complexity of modern receivers, it is truly up to the purchaser to determine their needs and to find a product offering the features they require PRIOR to purchase.

Wow, you guys act like I called your mom a whore or something. That's quite something. Those are some wild allegations based on a post about some zone 2 capabilities of a pioneer receiver. It really reminds me why I rarely frequent this site. I'd be happy to prescribe you some Effexor and Valium. Although there's no such thing as a personality transplant, which is likely you're only remedy. Take care guys, and remember, breathe deep.
post #1450 of 1737 Old 07-27-2013, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Those are some wild allegations based on a post about some zone 2 capabilities of a pioneer receiver.

biggrin.gif

OK, I'm laughing now! panties not in a wad anymore.

and no, it wasn't you discussing zone 2 capabilities, it was you saying Pioneer had some "bad implementation" and using "out dated technology" - your words. both of which are completely untrue.

if you wanted to have a discussion on what's available for doing zones, how all companies implement it, what connections are needed, I'd be all for it and we can have a rational informative (I hope) conversation. when you take it to bashing a company for something that isn't true, however, it's an unfair, unwarranted complaint & misinformation. that is what I strongly object to.

to the casual reader who read your post, they would automatically assume the worst and believe what you said, that Pioneer was somehow faulty & not keeping up with other companies when the opposite is true, at least with zones.

it may also interest you that rather than being outdated in zones, Pioneer is again cutting edge, by introducing the 1st receiver worldwide with HDBaseT for sending HDMI to another room, something which could revolutionize the custom install market. I think I just read Onkyo announcing they're coming out with HDBaseT also. But Pioneer is the first. and that is far from using outdated technology tongue.gif HDBaseT output will be in the new SC-79.

Pioneer has things it can do better, trust me.

but multizones are not one of them.

the fact that you don't admit you're wrong & make fun of our replies, just tells me you're trying to divert attention that you were wrong. I admit it when I am...if you bother to check another Pioneer thread tonight, I made a mistake in a post & admitted it to the poster whom I've a number of PM's with over the past couple of years on an older Pioneer model. he was right, I was wrong. and I said so in my reply.

says a lot about your character, when you can admit to a mistake. the fact that you won't but willing to say we need valium should be a clue to yours wink.gif

carry on...

Steve
post #1451 of 1737 Old 07-27-2013, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 36
ss9001, my only disagreement in your original post is calling this a budget receiver. Yes, most everyone got a great Costco deal, but at the original MSRP of $1600, I would call this an upper mid-level (maybe entry upper level-although probably a stretch) receiver.

post #1452 of 1737 Old 07-27-2013, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer_Elte View Post

ss9001, my only disagreement in your original post is calling this a budget receiver. Yes, most everyone got a great Costco deal, but at the original MSRP of $1600, I would call this an upper mid-level (maybe entry upper level-although probably a stretch) receiver.

if that's all that you disagree with, I feel pretty good about my posts smile.gif

sorry about my choice of words, I was thinking too much about smokin' deals wink.gif but you are right, it 's was clearly one of Pioneer's mid-level zone (sorry, couldn't resist wink.gif) models, pretty darn close to the SC-61 Elite feature for feature. the OP's comments just annoyed me, because I read his kind of whining or carping comments all the time in Pioneer threads & when I go to Denon-Marantz threads, nearly everyone has adult, intelligent informative discussions even when they have problems. I also don't see too much carping in Pioneer flagship threads (SC-68, etc)

maybe when people decide to spend more for the flagship models, they do their homework, know what they are buying, and take more initiative to learn about the gear & how to operate it.

have a good night & thanks for your reply.

Steve
post #1453 of 1737 Old 07-27-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:

if that's all that you disagree with, I feel pretty good about my posts smile.gif

sorry about my choice of words, I was thinking too much about smokin' deals wink.gif but you are right, it 's was clearly one of Pioneer's mid-level zone (sorry, couldn't resist wink.gif) models, pretty darn close to the SC-61 Elite feature for feature. the OP's comments just annoyed me, because I read his kind of whining all the time in Pioneer threads & when I go to Denon-Marantz threads, nearly everyone has adult, intelligent informative discussions. I also don't see too much carping in Pioneer flagship threads (SC-68, etc)
My guess is because those other models don't go on sale for about 60% off their original price so most research/look at what they're getting before plunking down $1500+.

post #1454 of 1737 Old 07-27-2013, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

^^
probably right. maybe I'm not the norm, but I research nearly every AV & tech gear I buy. I routinely download the operating manuals, spec sheets & read reviews if available before making buying decisions.

Steve
post #1455 of 1737 Old 07-27-2013, 07:59 PM

I do as well, but I got this mainly for the full 7.1 (9.2 possible future use) dts-ma and dolby-hd. Everything else was bonus. At the very least, I check to make sure what I buy does what I want, not necessarily check each/every feature.

post #1456 of 1737 Old 07-27-2013, 08:06 PM

Liked: 15
Now that this has all settled down, I'm still curious if anyone knows how I can affect tone changes (bass/treble) on my B speaker setup (7.1 surround w/B stereo)? Running from an Oppo 103 via HDMI, I can't find a way to set up the stereo speakers using MCACC nor change tone using either the built-in (using the remote) sound control or the iPhone app. I hooked up a CD player using RCAs and the remote sound control for tone showed up (it's absent using HDMI) , but didn't affect anything. The sound using Direct is quite good coming from my Kefs, but it would be nice to have some sort of tone control should the source material warrant tweaking. And, no, I'm not slagging Pioneer (see above) nor suggesting that I didn't do my homework (again, see above) when choosing to purchase this receiver (don't yell at me smile.gif ). I'm just curious if the B stereo speakers CAN be tone controlled.
post #1457 of 1737 Old 07-28-2013, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

it 's was clearly one of Pioneer's mid-level zone (sorry, couldn't resist wink.gif) models, pretty darn close to the SC-61 Elite feature for feature.
Actually, it is identical to SC-65. SC-61 is identical to SC-1222.
post #1458 of 1737 Old 07-28-2013, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

^^
OK, thanks. it was getting late & I was obviously confused on the equivalent model.

Steve
post #1459 of 1737 Old 07-28-2013, 10:55 AM

so i recently got a google tv this week.

I have the cable box going into sat/cable. HDMI out to TV. So cable plays fine with sound.
However, on the TV, there's google chrome and apps that uses sound as well. How do you play those sounds ?

post #1460 of 1737 Old 07-28-2013, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmastera View Post

so i recently got a google tv this week.

I have the cable box going into sat/cable. HDMI out to TV. So cable plays fine with sound.
However, on the TV, there's google chrome and apps that uses sound as well. How do you play those sounds ?

You need to use ARC. Check your TV's manual to see which HDMI port supports ARC. Then connect receiver to that port. Enable ARC on both. Depends on how the ARC is implemented on the TV, your AVR may automatically switch over to TV input of the AVR or you need manually switch to TV input of the AVR which will take audio from TV via ARC.

If your TV doesn't support ARC or it didn't work out for you, you will need to use optical audio output from the TV to AVR.
post #1461 of 1737 Old 07-29-2013, 01:34 AM

Hi, I am newbee and I see the Sc-72 and SC-1522 has very similar spec á the same so anyone know what is different between them and the better choice? Many thanks
post #1462 of 1737 Old 07-29-2013, 05:43 AM

^^
The SC-72 is this years model, the SC-1522 is last years model identical to the SC-65. Other than that, the 1522 is a 9.2 receiver and THX Select 2 Plus certified, the 72 is 7.2 and not THX certified. You can compare complete specs on the Pioneer website. I haven't seen a deal on the new 72 model that comes anywhere close to the Costco closeout price of the 1522. If you know of a deal, please post.

Allen
post #1463 of 1737 Old 07-29-2013, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

SC-72 is 2013 entry level Elite model. SC-1522 is 2012 top non-Elite model that has been discontinued. SC-1522 is equivalent of 2012 SC-65 middle level Elite.
post #1464 of 1737 Old 07-29-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:

^^
The SC-72 is this years model, the SC-1522 is last years model identical to the SC-65. Other than that, the 1522 is a 9.2 receiver and THX Select 2 Plus certified, the 72 is 7.2 and not THX certified. You can compare complete specs on the Pioneer website. I haven't seen a deal on the new 72 model that comes anywhere close to the Costco closeout price of the 1522. If you know of a deal, please post.
The price of 72 $900 and 1522 $800 on Amazon now but just want to choice which one that good enought to driver my spendor Sp9/1 as front, all other are active speakers. Thanks
post #1465 of 1737 Old 07-29-2013, 09:50 AM

From Pioneer's spec sheets:

SC-72:
Channels: 7
Amplification Type: Class D3 (Direct Energy HD)
660 W Multi ch Simultaneous Drive (8 ohms, 1 kHz, 1 %)
210 W/ch (4 ohms, 1 kHz, 1 %, 2 ch Driven)
170 W/ch (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 1 %, 2 ch Driven)
130 W/ch (8 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.08 %, 2 ch Driven FTC)

SC-1522
Channels: 9.2
720W Multi ch Simultaneous Drive (1kHz, THD 1% @ 8ohms)
210W/ch (1kHz, THD 1% @ 4 ohms)
170W/ch (1kHz, THD 1% @ 6 ohms)
130W/ch (1kHz, THD 0.08% @ 8ohms)

Since I'm not familiar with your spendor speakers, I can't interpret the specs but it looks like they have identical power ratings when driving 2 channels. Your call about what features you want/need. One caution, looking at the Amazon page, both are sold by the same 3rd party seller ... there is a caution there about Onkyo warranty. Not sure if this applies to Pioneer too, that is assuming you are located in the US.
unforgetable likes this.

Allen
post #1466 of 1737 Old 07-29-2013, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Pioneer USA will not honor warranty if it is not from an authorized seller.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_canada_246 using Board Express
post #1467 of 1737 Old 07-29-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:

From Pioneer's spec sheets:

SC-72:
Channels: 7
Amplification Type: Class D3 (Direct Energy HD)
660 W Multi ch Simultaneous Drive (8 ohms, 1 kHz, 1 %)
210 W/ch (4 ohms, 1 kHz, 1 %, 2 ch Driven)
170 W/ch (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 1 %, 2 ch Driven)
130 W/ch (8 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.08 %, 2 ch Driven FTC)

SC-1522
Channels: 9.2
720W Multi ch Simultaneous Drive (1kHz, THD 1% @ 8ohms)
210W/ch (1kHz, THD 1% @ 4 ohms)
170W/ch (1kHz, THD 1% @ 6 ohms)
130W/ch (1kHz, THD 0.08% @ 8ohms)

Since I'm not familiar with your spendor speakers, I can't interpret the specs but it looks like they have identical power ratings when driving 2 channels. Your call about what features you want/need. One caution, looking at the Amazon page, both are sold by the same 3rd party seller ... there is a caution there about Onkyo warranty. Not sure if this applies to Pioneer too, that is assuming you are located in the US.
I used onkyo 5007 to driver my Spendor SP9/1 and sound so good for the music but not really happy with the movie and this received alway overhead while running and some times has error no sound so I want to change to another product that can be balance for both movie and music.
post #1468 of 1737 Old 07-29-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unforgetable View Post

I used onkyo 5007 to driver my Spendor SP9/1 ..... this received alway overhead while running and some times has error no sound ...
Since the Onkyo is rated at 145 W/ch and both Pioneers at 130 W/ch you may have problems with either receiver. I've seen posts saying they used 200 W/ch amps with those speakers.

Allen
post #1469 of 1737 Old 07-30-2013, 11:39 AM

Is it possible to play music through the built in airplay feature while still watching TV? (everything goes through HDMI on the receiver)... Now when I do airplay the TV screen just shows what is being played.

Thanks.
post #1470 of 1737 Old 07-31-2013, 08:23 AM

^^
Using just the main zone, I don't know of anyway to select 2 inputs, send one to hdmi out and the other (AirPlay) to the speakers. When I select AirPlay it sends the song info to the tv. You can accomplish this by setting up zone 2 but it requires another pair of speakers. Your tv source plays thru the main zone as normal, AirPlay plays via Zone 2

Another thought is using an hdmi switch to bypass the receiver & go directly to the tv when you want to use AirPlay. That way your tv is playing the hdmi source directly & AirPlay is playing via the main zone.

Maybe someone else will have another solution.

Allen
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Sc 1522k 9 2 Channel Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - 1522k by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page