AVR-1908 Digital Optical connection help, please! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 03-28-2013, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all. Thanks first for past help.

I'm adding to my system and have some connection questions.

Here's what I have:

-AVR-1908
-Samung 43" Plasma TV - 2/HDMI, 1/Dig Opt
-Fios (f'n) tuner box - 1/HDMI, 1/Dig Opt 2/USB (that do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING)
-Pioneer BDP-94HD Blu-Ray player (being added) - 1/HDMI, 1/Dig Opt, 1/Dig Coax
-Pioneer PD-908F CD Jukebox (being added) - 1/Dig Opt
-Polk Audio RT Series 5.1 speaker system

I have the Fios box to the TV via HDMI and the TV to the AVR-1908 via Dig Opt. (I want to be able to listen to music while I watch TV and this was suggested here and works well.) The Blu-Ray player will run to the TV via HDMI and use the existing Dig Opt out to the receiver. It also plays CD media discs so I would also like to connect it via Dig Opt to bypass the TV if I want it off.

The problem is, that's 3 Dig Opt connections to the receiver... Is the Dig Opt output assignable as an input as well? Both the Blu-Ray player and receiver have Dig Coax so I could go that route, but am I sacrificing anything substantial? (other than potential noise problems)

I'm also thinking of running an Ethernet cable to my system. I have media files on my computer and would love to have access to them, but WiFi just don't cut it. I'd have 3 potential Ethernet connections, TV, Blu-Ray, and receiver, so would I just need an Ethernet hub to connect them all? And what's best, Cat 5, Cat 6, or? (And are all the cables florescent colors? Divorce pending on your answer...lol)

Thanks in advance for reading and for your help!

Dire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-28-2013, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Digital Coax will be fine to use,I have never heard any
Difference between coax & optical.

You should connect you blu-ray player to your AVR with HDMI
And then from the AVR to the TV using HDMI. The reason for
This is ONLY HDMI can transmit the lossless audio (Dolby tru-hd).
By using digital coax or optical you will only be able to play the lossy
Dolby digital signal.

I have no answers to the Ethernet connection but if your
AVR supports it this is what I would try first. Does your computer
Have HDMI out?? If it does I would use that into the AVR.
This is what I do.

Digital optical out is not Able to be changed to an input.
post #3 of 13 Old 03-28-2013, 05:42 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1965 Post(s)
Liked: 1746
The 1908 is not a networking model and so therefore you would have to connect to one of your other ethernet capable devices. It does however have (2) optical and (2) coax digital inputs so you would be much better served connecting the FIOS box optical to the AVR rather than to the TV in order to pass DD 5.1. HDMI and optical from the BDP to the AVR is also suggested.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 13 Old 03-28-2013, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 135
It's probably OK to run the FIOS box to the TV with HDMI and then send audio from the TV to the receiver. That will work provided your TV will output DD 5.1 from external devices. Some TVs do, many don't. If yours does not, you can still run HDMI direct to the TV. But then you'd need to attach optical from FIOS to the AVR for sound.

However, it is a bad idea to connect your Blu-ray player that way. Almost no TVs pass DTS from external devices . So, it's likely your plan will leave you with stereo audio when watching Blu-rays. While this AVR lacks lossless decoders, I believe it can process audio over HDMI. So, you can get lossless audio if you use an HDMI connection to the AVR and have your player do the decoding.

As a general rule, it's better to connect your devices to the receiver and then run a single HDMI from the AVR to the TV for video.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-29-2013, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

OK, thanks for the input. This is all new to me so your experience is a big help. Saves a lot of trial and error (and ripping my cabinet apart AGAIN...)

I ended up connecting my Fios and BDP via HDMI inputs to the AVR and the AVR via HDMI output to my TV. I also have the CD changer and TV via Dig Opt and the BDP via Dig Coax to the AVR. I could switch the TV to Coax and the BDP to Opt if that would be advantageous.

I don't get the GUI (no GUI on AVR HDMI out, correct?) but I can read the AVR display easily and the GUI doesn't intrude when my wife's watching with me. I can fiddle with settings to my heart's desire without the dreaded exasperated sigh...lol

My TV does include external audio (it did via Opt Dig in my previous setup). I like to watch TV with music playing but with the Fios box routing through the AVR, the TV video was dependent on the AVR being set to TV/Sat. At least, that's how I was able to make it work. Unless there's a way to pass video to the TV with the AVR set to Tuner or Aux, for example.

So, the AVR Ethernet connection is only for firmware updates? My BDP is network capable so it can access my computer media. Ethernet's new to me so any advice before I start?

Thanks again!
post #6 of 13 Old 03-29-2013, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

For FIOS and music, you can always run component video connections directly to the TV that you would only use when you want to listen to a different source than you are watching.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-29-2013, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

For FIOS and music, you can always run component video connections directly to the TV that you would only use when you want to listen to a different source than you are watching.

Yeah, that'd work. Component outputs up to 720p, correct? TV's 720p anyway. Thanks!
post #8 of 13 Old 03-29-2013, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 169
I'm not really familiar with the FIOS box. If I understand you correctly it has
HDMI & digital audio out. That's like my directv sat box.
What I did is run HDMI to the tv,then I ran optical from the directv box
Into the AVR. This way, we don't have to have the AVR on to watch tv
And if I want to watch tv and listen to the radio (drives the wife nuts wink.gif)
I can. If a good show or movie is on & I want to listen to it in 5.1 I turn the
AVR on and lower the volume on the tv.

I'm not sure why you want HDMI and digital coax/optical both running
To your AVR from the blu-ray player though... I would just use HDMI
post #9 of 13 Old 03-29-2013, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDireWolf View Post

Quote:

Yeah, that'd work. Component outputs up to 720p, correct? TV's 720p anyway. Thanks!
Component supports 1080i. It'll do 1080p, too, but copy protection doesn't allow it.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-29-2013, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I ended up connecting my Fios and BDP via HDMI inputs to the AVR and the AVR via HDMI output to my TV. I also have the CD changer and TV via Dig Opt and the BDP via Dig Coax to the AVR. I could switch the TV to Coax and the BDP to Opt if that would be advantageous.
As grasshoppers noted, there's no need for a coax or optical connection from the Blu-ray player to the AVR. HDMI handles both video and audio. All you need is the one cable. There's no difference between optical and coax. So, use whichever one is more convenient in your setup.
post #11 of 13 Old 03-29-2013, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Quote:

As grasshoppers noted, there's no need for a coax or optical connection from the Blu-ray player to the AVR. HDMI handles both video and audio. All you need is the one cable. There's no difference between optical and coax. So, use whichever one is more convenient in your setup.

Ok, great. I'll take out the Coax and add component from Fios to TV and I'm done!

Famous last words...
post #12 of 13 Old 03-29-2013, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post

I'm not really familiar with the FIOS box. If I understand you correctly it has
HDMI & digital audio out. That's like my directv sat box.
What I did is run HDMI to the tv,then I ran optical from the directv box
Into the AVR. This way, we don't have to have the AVR on to watch tv
And if I want to watch tv and listen to the radio (drives the wife nuts wink.gif)
I can. If a good show or movie is on & I want to listen to it in 5.1 I turn the
AVR on and lower the volume on the tv.

I'm not sure why you want HDMI and digital coax/optical both running
To your AVR from the blu-ray player though... I would just use HDMI

Missed that post before...

I haven't used the volume on my TV since I got my AVR...lol TV audio sounds like it's coming thru a paper towel tube. Its mounted in a repurposed CRT TV cabinet. It's a nice piece of furniture and with a little ingenuity everything fits perfectly. You can't really SEE much of it anymore, but I was told it was staying so 'It's there, Honey, you just have to look!"

I'm going to add component from the Fios box to the TV to solve my TV with music issue. Drives my wife nuts, too, but why do I need to listen to a hockey game's announcers babble? Makes perfect sense to me...
post #13 of 13 Old 03-29-2013, 08:12 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1965 Post(s)
Liked: 1746
Quote:

So, the AVR Ethernet connection is only for firmware updates? My BDP is network capable so it can access my computer media. Ethernet's new to me so any advice before I start?

Thanks again!

As I previously noted, there is no ethernet connection on the 1908. The 3808CI is the lowest model that year that has a network connection which can be used for firmware updates as well as connecting to internet radio stations.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors