Center channel level - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: What is your center channel level for movie as compared to your front Left/Right? Thanks for partic
Same as front L/R 11 35.48%
0.5 to 3db higher than front L/R 14 45.16%
3.5 to 6db higher than front L/R 3 9.68%
6.5db or higher than front L/R 0 0%
Lower than fron L/R 3 9.68%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 03-28-2013, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 83
What is your center channel level for movie as compared to your front Left/Right? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-28-2013, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 149
It is not unusual for the center speaker to be smaller than the mains. After autocalibration, I don't raise or lower any of the channel levels for movies or music.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #3 of 18 Old 03-28-2013, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 793
Mine is at whatever audyssey sets it at.wink.gif

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
post #4 of 18 Old 03-28-2013, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Is dialogue a little hard to hear for you guy with center channel level same as main or as is after auto calibration?
post #5 of 18 Old 03-28-2013, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post

Is dialogue a little hard to hear for you guy with center channel level same as main or as is after auto calibration?
Nope! Everything is very well balanced.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
post #6 of 18 Old 03-29-2013, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 41
YPAO wanted to set my center 0.5 db lower than my mains, but I have a hard enough time hearing dialog as-is. So I zeroed it out.

post #7 of 18 Old 03-29-2013, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWIII View Post

YPAO wanted to set my center 0.5 db lower than my mains, but I have a hard enough time hearing dialog as-is. So I zeroed it out.

Then Crank it up, Man! biggrin.gif

post #8 of 18 Old 03-29-2013, 11:23 AM

Liked: 11
After a year of experimenting with different settings (when my old sony receiver was replaced by a new denon), i just turned on the dynamic volume after the last time i recalibrated thru audessy (it gave me the option to turn it on). It made a huge difference. I set it to "evening" as suggested in the audessy site. Dialogue is really clear and much more robust now! This, of course did not ruin the balance among the other speakers. In fact, dynamic volume, lives up to its name-- dynamic. It maintains the harmony along with the rest of my system!
post #9 of 18 Old 03-29-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 78
My center is set at +2.5db and my left and right are both at +3.0db. Those are the trim values chosen by MCACC, my calibration system. I have no trouble hearing dialog, but I have a large center speaker that is essentially a tower lying on its side -- it spits out lots of mid frequencies in various directions. Long ago, with much inferior speakers, I did have to raise the center volume to make dialog easier to hear.

Greg Lee
post #10 of 18 Old 03-29-2013, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by beat1 View Post

After a year of experimenting with different settings (when my old sony receiver was replaced by a new denon), i just turned on the dynamic volume after the last time i recalibrated thru audessy (it gave me the option to turn it on). It made a huge difference. I set it to "evening" as suggested in the audessy site. Dialogue is really clear and much more robust now! This, of course did not ruin the balance among the other speakers. In fact, dynamic volume, lives up to its name-- dynamic. It maintains the harmony along with the rest of my system!
Dynamic Volume compresses sound so I never turn it on in my dedicated theater. I do turn it on occationally in my second system in main living room when watching a movie late.
post #11 of 18 Old 03-29-2013, 01:03 PM

Liked: 11
Dynamic volume is well implemented so the compression does not get in the way of home theater experience. In fact, it complements it better than endlessly tweaking my system. I tried it so many ways (and yes, i was initially concerned about the compression, too) and I find dynamic volume works well for me,.
post #12 of 18 Old 04-01-2013, 05:12 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 1598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys View Post

Dynamic Volume compresses sound so I never turn it on in my dedicated theater. I do turn it on occationally in my second system in main living room when watching a movie late.

Dynamic Volume rather more "normalizes" the sound as in addition to compressing the louder explosions it will also boost the lower dialogue as beat1 experienced.

Also, for the OP, you can adjust the center speaker volume to suit your preference as it will not effect the EQ settings. Also note, that Audyssey Dyn EQ will boost the bass/surround audio at volume levels below reference (ie. 0db/80) which will sometimes overpower the center channel dialogue for TV/music listening. The bass boost can be reduced by setting the "Reference Level Offset" from 0db to 10db.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #13 of 18 Old 04-01-2013, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^^
Great explanation. I like the way my surround and bass sound with DynEq, so I just increase my center up 3dbs for better dialog.
post #14 of 18 Old 04-01-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I always bump mine some from where autocal puts it, I always bump the sub some too.... I strill do a lot of 2.0 channel movies and feel the center bump helps there the most and doesn't seem to hurt the real 5.1+ content any.

The sub bump is just cause I love it always. There is the rare title that needs it lowered though, not to often.
post #15 of 18 Old 04-01-2013, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Never, ever, ever use Dynamic Volume...I hate it with a passion. I do, however, really enjoy Dynamic EQ.

My center stays at the same level as my FL/R speakers - 75db. All dialogue is perfectly clear, never overpowered (with correctly mixed soundtracks).

I turn my surrounds down 3db (to 72db) from where Audyssey sets them to compensate for the effects of Dynamic EQ.
post #16 of 18 Old 04-01-2013, 07:11 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 1598
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

I always bump mine some from where autocal puts it, I always bump the sub some too.... I strill do a lot of 2.0 channel movies and feel the center bump helps there the most and doesn't seem to hurt the real 5.1+ content any.

The sub bump is just cause I love it always. There is the rare title that needs it lowered though, not to often.

I would guess that many prefer to bump the sub 4-5db to suit their preference. smile.gif

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #17 of 18 Old 05-20-2013, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Correct me if I'm wrong but DRC only works for Dolby Codecs and not DTS, right? I have a heck of a time hearing dialogue, let me rephrase that, I can hear it fine but it sounds weak compared to the rest of the soundtrack so I turn my center up about 2.5 to 3dBs higher than the mains to compensate and even then it's a little weak. Also, DRC does seem to correct this when activated but sound effects sound so much cleaner with it off. It's too crunchy and overproduced with DRC activated so I leave it off.
post #18 of 18 Old 05-20-2013, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sullins View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong but DRC only works for Dolby Codecs and not DTS, right? I have a heck of a time hearing dialogue, let me rephrase that, I can hear it fine but it sounds weak compared to the rest of the soundtrack so I turn my center up about 2.5 to 3dBs higher than the mains to compensate and even then it's a little weak. Also, DRC does seem to correct this when activated but sound effects sound so much cleaner with it off. It's too crunchy and overproduced with DRC activated so I leave it off.

Quote from the DolbyDigital License Manual..

"DRC: Dynamic range control. A feature of Dolby Digital that allows the
end user to retain or modify the dynamic range of a Dolby Digital
encoded program upon playback. The amount of control is dictated
by encoder parameter settings and decoder user options."

It does not work with DTS.

Additionally note that there are some other dynamic range control schemes available that work with the majority of digital streams in the post-processor mode including Audyssey Dynamic Volume and Dolby Volume. These can be very effective to adjust the volume levels when used with sources such as a cable box or sat tuner for the different levels from channel-to-channel. Also both Audyssey and Dolby have EQ schemes to help balance the audible tonal balance as well...

Just my $0.02... 👍😉
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page