Current Owners of Classé CT-SSP (or SSP-800) Surround Processor, Please Help, Is it still buggy? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-29-2013, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need to ask for the forum's help please. I would like to purchase the Classé CT-SSP Surround Processor in the very near future…I'll also be purchasing Bryston's 4B-SST2 C-Series amp & 9B-SST2 C-Series amp (configured as 3 Channel) (See thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1464277/class-ct-ssp-surround-processor-bryston-4b-sst2-9b-sst2-3-chn-c-series-amps-with-b-w-diamond/0_100). I read the AVS Forum thread titled, “Classé SSP-800 vs Anthem D2v2”, which ran from 12/20/09 through 10/24/10 (See thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1208028/classe-ssp-800-vs-anthem-d2v2/0_100). This thread included the comment: "the Classé two years later is riden with bugs". This comment is consistent with the Home Theater Review I read on the "Classé CT-SSP Surround Processor and CT-5300 Amplifier" written back on Sep 21, 2010 (See this Home Theater article at: http://www.hometheater.com/content/classeacute-ct-ssp-surround-processor-and-ct-5300-amplifier) and I am unable to find any, more current, reviews for the Classé CT-SSP.

I realize that a fair amount of time has passed since the HT review was written and since the comment in the thread on AVS Forum was posted, but I do not want to assume that everything has been corrected and currently all is well with the Classé CT-SSP and it functions flawlessly…especially since HDMI has gone from version 1.3 to 1.4a since the HT Review & AVS Forum Thread were written.

I like everything I’ve read about the Classé CT-SSP Surround Processor, except, of course, for the buggy issues, but I do not want to purchase this unit if it does not function flawlessly. Are there any current owners of the Classé CT-SSP (or SSP-800) Surround Processor who wouldn’t mind sharing some feedback on their Classé Surround Processor and whether it functions flawlessly? I’ve called the audio retailers in my area but none can provide me with a loaner for an in-home audition, or offer an in-store demo.

My second choice is probably the Anthem D2v2 but I've not yet researched this model very closely and may end up finding it too has issues. But I’d really prefer the Classé CT-SSP…as long as the bugs have been corrected and it currently functions flawlessly.

The functionality issues I'm most concerned with include, but are not limited to, the following:
• sound/video delay/sync problem…the sound will be delayed several seconds but the video will begin immediately following a pause, fast forward or rewind and/or the audio and video will be out of sync. This happens off a Blu-Ray, DVD, or DVR.
• pops out the speakers and/or sub when coming off a pause, fast forward or rewind
• abnormal audio for several seconds duration after mute is turned off

I had recently experienced these issues and more, potential tweeter damaging issues, from another manufacturers unit...however that was an AVR. But none-the-less, the popping was noted for the Classé so I wanted to list at least a couple of the other issues I was told (by the AVR manufacturer) were related to the HDMI Version 1.4a handshake.

Any current or previous owners of this equipment who wouldn’t mind passing along whatever feedback they might have on the functionality of their Classé CT-SSP (or SSP-800) Surround Processor and/or the Anthem D2v2 would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-29-2013, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I have not heard the Classe' but have you considered the Bryston SP3? I recently read that at a high end audio show the predominant processor for the demos was the SP3.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, DBP 2010, Samsung BD-C7900, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650. Sitting still CCM616, Kef...
post #3 of 3 Old 03-29-2013, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, I did read the review about the Bryston SP3 SSP in Home Theater. Thank you for mentioning it. I seriously considered the SP3 and do like the straight-wire-with-gain mentality, and I would have preferred to stick with the same manufacturer as the amps. However, the SP3 is just a little too bare bones for me. With some effort, I think I could get myself to accept, and live with, the lack of any legacy connections on the SP3, but the deal breaker for me is that the SP3 has no room equalization software. I totally see Bryston’s point, noted in Home Theater’s review, about room EQ is basically just attempting to undo what the speaker designer undoubtedly spent many a sleepless night perfecting and that it is no substitute for proper speaker positioning and some modest room treatment. But unfortunately I do need the room EQ feature.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page