Reciever/Speaker system advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-29-2013, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am a frequent Blu-ray watcher, as well as a huge fan of the PS3 console. I have a decent 55" Sony LCD and a PS3. I have an older HTIB by Onkyo that is fairly decent. The problem is, I have moved many times and the speaker wire I purchased for it is getting to be frustrating with the length and connection points. So I am considering to upgrade, now that I have bought my first home.

I am looking for advice on some options, since I have not done research in years and do not even know where to look. I would like 5.1, because I don't think 7.1 would be worth the money difference in my home. I want the speaker wire to use normal jacks (push-in), instead of the typical crimping and screwing in the wire. I know some of the newer ones have the jack and outlets for the speakers, and I am a huge fan of that. I would like the rear speakers to be completely wireless, but if that is not a good idea (not really sure if that is good or not), then I would consider running the speaker wire through my attic and installing the speakers on the wall. I am looking for something with truly high quality, but I don't want to spend 20k on a system. Something reasonable under 1000 bucks would be great. I could be convinced to go higher if it was a truly great buy. Just looking for some advice...

Style is also important. Something that is aesthetically pleasing would be nice as well, but I can work with it if it isn't. Thanks ahead of time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-29-2013, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Are you looking to spend $1000 on just the receiver, or $1000 total including 5.1 speakers?

post #3 of 7 Old 03-29-2013, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Truly high quality?

For under $1000?

There are some fairly decent mediocre things you can buy for under $1000, but you need to realize that several thousand dollars is more like it if you really want good sound quality, and even then careful shopping and research is in order to get your money's worth.

If under $1000 is where you are at, i suggest that you look first at Harman-Kardon receivers, because there are not many other decent ones for under $600. The H-K 1650 would be my recommendation, and it is less than $400; very good deal at that price.

Put that together with the Martin-Logan MLT-2 speaker system and you will have a nice improvement over what you have now for well under $800.

For speaker wire, get a 100-foot roll of 14 gauge speaker wire, #2791, from Monoprice for $23. You can get solder-free banana plugs or crimp-on spade lugs to terminate it from many suppliers.

You will have to judge the aesthetics; everyone has a different idea on that.
post #4 of 7 Old 03-29-2013, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry, I typed this up and then was sidetracked. The more I think about it, I think I need to revamp my expectations. I am looking for something under 2k basically. A receiver (preferably with push in jacks). I don't really care about 7.1, 5.1 would be fine. I don't care if it is wireless, because I will probably be running the wires through my attic. I really want it to be wireless networked and to have a great sound. I live in a small house, so I don't need to be blown away by power...just clarity, ease of use and functionality (like pandora streaming, etc). The push in jacks is a really big selling point, but I guess that is because I have always had issues with cable wiring. I suppose if I took the time to do it right, it wouldn't be a real issue.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-29-2013, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
By push-in jacks do you mean banana plugs (look it up) or spring clips that hold the wires in (which might be what your HTIB has)? No decent receiver will have spring clips.

post #6 of 7 Old 03-29-2013, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

I think banana plug is the right one. I just saw a recent Denon receiver have this "easy connect" plug in jack for the speakers and I really like that idea. My onkyo, I had to strip the wire, twist the copper inside and sitck it into those spring clip or twist jacks, which I hated because it always fell out. I want to be able to just plug my speaker in with a jack, like an RCA jack or something similar in design to that.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-29-2013, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinea85 View Post

I am a frequent Blu-ray watcher, as well as a huge fan of the PS3 console. I have a decent 55" Sony LCD and a PS3. I have an older HTIB by Onkyo that is fairly decent. The problem is, I have moved many times and the speaker wire I purchased for it is getting to be frustrating with the length and connection points. So I am considering to upgrade, now that I have bought my first home.

I am looking for advice on some options, since I have not done research in years and do not even know where to look. I would like 5.1, because I don't think 7.1 would be worth the money difference in my home. I want the speaker wire to use normal jacks (push-in), instead of the typical crimping and screwing in the wire. I know some of the newer ones have the jack and outlets for the speakers, and I am a huge fan of that. I would like the rear speakers to be completely wireless, but if that is not a good idea (not really sure if that is good or not), then I would consider running the speaker wire through my attic and installing the speakers on the wall. I am looking for something with truly high quality, but I don't want to spend 20k on a system. Something reasonable under 1000 bucks would be great. I could be convinced to go higher if it was a truly great buy. Just looking for some advice...

Style is also important. Something that is aesthetically pleasing would be nice as well, but I can work with it if it isn't. Thanks ahead of time.

How big is your room?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page