~$200 HDMI AV Receiver with Powered zone 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-29-2013, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for my parents, who are building a house and buying their first flat screen TV. Their main TV has wires run in the wall from the TV location to a location where an AV (HDMI) receiver will be. We also only have (by my fathers request) just L and R speaker hook ups (no surround). and another set of speaker wires running out to the Deck.

I'm trying to find a decent AV receiver that I can either use the amps from the Surround or another set as the "zone 2" . I've been searching amazon and a couple search queries here just to see if what I want is available but I'm not having much luck yet. A lot of the zone2 receivers ~200 are line-out not powered.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

So their setup will be:

Likely TV speakers for most occasions
For Movies/sports where they want more volume L&R via AV receiver
Zone 2 for listening to music on the deck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-29-2013, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Here's one that's close to your budget. You'll have to get a refurb if you want to stay around $200.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR515/Onkyo-TX-NR515-7.2-Channel-Network-A/V-Receiver/1.html

May I ask why the budget is so low? If they're building a house, it would be a drop in the bucket to spend $500 on a receiver as opposed to $200.

post #3 of 5 Old 03-30-2013, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply,

To answer your questions, there are two main reasons. My parents, while 'building' a house are still on a very tight budget for the whole thing which includes this Receiver. The second, they aren't even going to have/use Surround, They are only going to be using two main speakers (department store style Sony floor standing jobs from the 80's).

So, for them, they really only need those two features. (a way to easily switch hdmi inputs (dvr/dvd player) and also power a second zone.

I had a budget of ~1k from him to purchase their low voltage wiring/accessories required and once all else is bought, the AV receiver is left with about $230 in funds. Sure, I could easily increase that by adding my own money and that's certainly not an issue but I think any extra stuff would be wasted.

I am interested in that network receiver you linked too though. I'll have to look but it would be nice if it made it easy for them to stream music from their PC into zone 2. I'll certainly check it out!

I also found another Onkyo on amazon That also might fit the bill Onkyo TX-SR313. Again, this needs to power two floor standing speakers and two outdoor deck speakers. along with doing av switching as required.

Just for fun, here's where the receiver will live (down on the right). Their will be a gas fireplace there in the center, and the TV above the mantle. And the home-run wiring I did (just RG6, Ethernet, and one phone line for the phone base station)

post #4 of 5 Old 03-30-2013, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Consider whether you really need an HDMI receiver. Since they'll be using just two main speakers, it's no real loss to us the TV as the input switcher, and just run an optical cable from the TV to the receiver.

This Onkyo is a stereo receiver, with two sets of speakers, that has networking:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_580TX8050/Onkyo-TX-8050.html

The only thing you'd be missing out on would be the ability to have TV audio going in the living room and different audio on the deck. But it would really simplify things to do it this way. One main reason is that many of the older, budget AVRs that you'd have to buy to stay around $200 won't have HDMI standby pass-through,* meaning that the AVR will need to be on in order to watch anything on the TV. With the stereo receiver being "downstream" of the TV, they'll only have to turn the receiver on when it's needed.

* The good news is that I think both the Onkyo 515 and 313 have it. BUT you'll still need to use the AVR's remote to switch inputs when it's off.

post #5 of 5 Old 03-30-2013, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWIII View Post

One main reason is that many of the older, budget AVRs that you'd have to buy to stay around $200 won't have HDMI standby pass-through,* meaning that the AVR will need to be on in order to watch anything on the TV. With the stereo receiver being "downstream" of the TV, they'll only have to turn the receiver on when it's needed.

* The good news is that I think both the Onkyo 515 and 313 have it. BUT you'll still need to use the AVR's remote to switch inputs when it's off.

Ahh, yes this is very good information, thanks! I assumed they would all do pass-through and it was not something I was making sure of. As for changing things around, I think we're going to be stuck with the single HDMI and and Ethernet/RG6 going to the TV. I *believe* the drywall is either up or will be up before we make it back.

Unfortunately the house is about 9.5h away so it's not easy to hop over and change things :-)

Another one I found open box.
Pioneer VSX-1022-K
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page