Hooking up a computer monitor via HDMI to a AV Receiver? (not working) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-29-2013, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm sorry if I'm asking this in the wrong forum, truly I am.

Monitor - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176194
Receiver - http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v371_black__u/?mode=model

Basically I'm trying to use the monitor as the main display for my receiver.

I hook up my monitor via HDMI to the receiver's only HDMI out. I turn my monitor on and it immediately tells me which forms of inputs are being used:

DVI - Active (running to computer)
HDMI - Active (running to AV receiver)
VGA - Inactive (off, but I use for my 360)

The second I change my input to HDMI on the monitor's OSD it says "Check Video Cable" and now it says" HDMI - Inactive" and puts me back on to DVI.

Can this monitor not be used via an HDMI out on a receiver? My TV works just fine with the receiver. I've also hooked up my PS3 via HDMI to monitor with the same cord that I've been trying to run from the monitor > receiver, and all is working fine.

I would really appreciate some help, thanks all.

****UPDATE*****

So this is weird, (perhaps not to people knowledgeable on the subject) but my monitor will only allow one or the other (DVI or HDMI) if the HDMI is hooked up to the receiver. It can handle a ps3 hooked up to hdmi, but not something hooked into a receiver via hdmi out. This is cool though as I was not going to use DVI anyway I just didn't have a spare 12 ft hdmi cord and only had 1. So I guess it works just fine and I can use it as the main monitor hookup for my receiver.

I wonder why I can't hook up DVI and HDMI (receiver) while the computer is hooked up to DVI? Like I said it works just fine if I use a ps3 to monitor HDMI and still leave my pc hooked into the DVI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-30-2013, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Have you tried turning on the receiver, pressing the set up menu on the receiver's remote, connecting an hdmi cable to the monitor, and then powering up the monitor without anything connected to dvi and vga? Have you ever been able to see your receiver's on-screen menu on your monitor?

Maybe your receiver cannot output a video signal that is compatible with the input resolutions handled by your monitor.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-30-2013, 06:47 AM

Liked: 11
Good call Audit on the monitor resolution, check that the recv output is set to auto or same resolution as monitor, if your monitor 720 & recv 1080 it won't display.
post #4 of 7 Old 04-01-2013, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post

Have you tried turning on the receiver, pressing the set up menu on the receiver's remote, connecting an hdmi cable to the monitor, and then powering up the monitor without anything connected to dvi and vga? Have you ever been able to see your receiver's on-screen menu on your monitor?

Maybe your receiver cannot output a video signal that is compatible with the input resolutions handled by your monitor.

Yeah I added an edit that said I could use the monitor without anything plugged into the DVI port.

So as long as there is nothing in the DVI port the monitor will work using the receivers HDMI out, but looking back at my edit the wording is confusing.

Basically, as long as DVI isn't plugged in, I can connect my monitor to my receiver via HDMI out and it will pick up my monitor no problem. I can then hook my PC into hdmi 1, and my ps3 into hdmi 2 (on receiver) and use my monitor as the screen for both of those inputs. The problem I guess is when I add DVI into the equation. Everything can be going fine and dandy, monitor working via hdmi out from receiver, then I plug in DVI and hdmi will refuse to work.

Could it have something to do with 2 different sources trying to access HDCP or w/e it is? Perhaps some handshaking issues? I'm trying to use the correct terminology, sorry if this is wrong.

Thanks for the help.

*sorry for not responding sooner. I guess I had email notifications turned off, even though I did subscribe to this thread to be notified of any replies.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-01-2013, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by anatomyhorror View Post

Yeah I added an edit that said I could use the monitor without anything plugged into the DVI port.

So as long as there is nothing in the DVI port the monitor will work using the receivers HDMI out, but looking back at my edit the wording is confusing.

Basically, as long as DVI isn't plugged in, I can connect my monitor to my receiver via HDMI out and it will pick up my monitor no problem. I can then hook my PC into hdmi 1, and my ps3 into hdmi 2 (on receiver) and use my monitor as the screen for both of those inputs. The problem I guess is when I add DVI into the equation. Everything can be going fine and dandy, monitor working via hdmi out from receiver, then I plug in DVI and hdmi will refuse to work.

Could it have something to do with 2 different sources trying to access HDCP or w/e it is? Perhaps some handshaking issues? I'm trying to use the correct terminology, sorry if this is wrong.

Thanks for the help.

*sorry for not responding sooner. I guess I had email notifications turned off, even though I did subscribe to this thread to be notified of any replies.
It almost seems as if the default input on the monitor is DVI, then hdmi, then vga. As soon as something is connected via DVI, the monitor automatically switches from HDMI to the DVI input.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-01-2013, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Well you were definitely right about the default being DVI. I switched it to HDMI and it's still not letting me get any picture as long as DVI is plugged in.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-01-2013, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Ah well. All I wanted to do was make my monitor the default screen for all of my different consoles and whatnot. I can still do this and I've ran several test setups tonight to get everything right. I just can't use DVI any longer which is fine as really it would serve no use as I can run an hdmi cord from the computer to the receiver. Not sure why I wanted to use HDMI for my other components but not my computer. It'll be much easier to just have everything connected to the receiver and ditch my DVI cord. Ordering a couple 15 foot hdmi cords, 100 foot of speaker wire and 5 speakers to turn my computer spot into a 5.1 setup. My TV just looks absolutely inferior to my monitor and the monitor isn't even that great (better than my viewsonic 27" IPS though surprisingly).

Thanks for the help.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page