Nuforce AVP-18 Preamp/Processor - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 122 Old 08-11-2013, 10:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys,

Are there any deals going on AVP-18? Lack of reviews and similarity with UMC-200 should force the dealers with price cut....Any evidence to that?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 122 Old 08-12-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asangamnerkar View Post

Guys,

Are there any deals going on AVP-18? Lack of reviews and similarity with UMC-200 should force the dealers with price cut....Any evidence to that?

Thanks.

Wow!!! Not a single PM from dealers on this topic???
post #93 of 122 Old 08-13-2013, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by asangamnerkar View Post

Wow!!! Not a single PM from dealers on this topic???

Are you a former NuFORCE Customer? We do have a "customer loyalty" program explained HERE.

Are you located in the US? If so, I can probably put you together with someone. PM me.

At this point demand exceeds stock on the unit, and we're waiting for the next shipment.

Regards,

John
CENTURY CITY AV
post #94 of 122 Old 08-13-2013, 07:40 PM

Liked: 12
My MCP-18 arrived unscathed even with FedEx's best attempt to damage my unit. My box was laying on my patio with a gash that went past the double boxes. Luckily, the MCP-18 is encased in rigid die cut foam that fits the preamp like a glove. Inside the boxes was the preamp and a small box that I thought was the box for the remote. Instead, it was the power cord and a few extra fuses. Then I see the remote, a dinky credit card style remote (2" x 3.5"), no remote like the one that accompanies the AVP-18 or the metal remote that accompanied the AVP-17. That was kind of a let down....

I have the preamp hooked up with the XLRs to the OPPO BDP-105 and the NuForce MCH-3SE-CE7. So far I am just listening to the preamp in 2 channel mode. I am impressed with the sound straight out of the box. I need to determine if the level of improvement in the MCP-18 is enough to warrant the cost over the AVP-17. There appears to be some level of sonic improvement. I will be considering this over the next 30 days. You mind as well throw away the manual because it is worthless, it doesn't tell you much of anything, other than you have two knobs: a function knob and a volume knob. The function and volume knobs are made of plastic and don't have a very solid feel like the rest of the unit. I would have to liked to have seen them made from metal. The preamp arrived with the display dimmer set to on, which means the display would shut off after a few seconds after the last button push. I am glad there was a feature to turn the display on.. Anyway, this is enough for now, I wanted to jot my preliminary thoughts down. I will attempt to post some pics. In the mean time, I am going to break in the preamp with Isotek's full system enhancer and rejuvenation disk

More to come...

"Without music life would be a mistake." -Friedrich Nietzsche

post #95 of 122 Old 08-15-2013, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 144
I have a question in regards to one of the supposed features of the AVP-18..

"Front channel bi-amplification capability"

...But from looking at the reviews online I haven't seen any other mention of that. Only bass management options in the menu screens. Could someone confirm high past low pass crossover adjustability for the front speakers? And what extra channels will the active crossovers be sent out on?
post #96 of 122 Old 08-16-2013, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioforce View Post

I believe they are global.

However, I have changed speaker levels during the movie, which is pretty simple and quick, but you do need to press MENU and do it through the OSD.

To Add to this reply: The AVP-18 has multiple PEQ settings, so you could manually preset the Center to have the settings you want in PEQ1 for Bluray, and the setting you want in PEQ2 for HDTV, and so on.

These PEQ presets can then be selected quickly and via the remote.

Regards,

John
CENTURY CITY AV
post #97 of 122 Old 08-16-2013, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Today I received my AVP-18 and the MCH-300XSEC7 multichannel amplifier (installer version, without LED display and remote). This is my very first experience with NuForce in my home, and with such fine gear (the amp in particular) I am not only expecting but demanding greatness. So far I've only ran a bit of music and a few blu-rays after doing my initial Auto EQ calibration and it's too early to tell. I am of the understanding these units may need running-in so I will let them do just that. The sound is at least clean, clear and precise so far... a touch of warmth too, quite a nice balance. No harshness with my speakers. I was hoping for one of those immediate 'WOW'-reactions upon first listen, but that did not happen. Does not mean the duo won't acchieve that soon though. I also need to work on settings and of course re-run the Auto EQ calibration a few times.

More personal views soon! I want to be totally blown away... or swept away!

RickyDeg

| PRIMARE SP33 (processor/DAC)

| PRIMARE A30.7 (multichannel amp)

KEN KREISEL Q125 / DXD-12012 (5.1 speaker system)

SAMSUNG LE-52B755 (tv)

OPPO BDP-103D (blu-ray transport)

NAIM UNITISERVE (HDD music server)

ISOTEK AQUARIUS (mainsfilter)

post #98 of 122 Old 08-19-2013, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

WOW Ricky, those are PRO QUALITY PHOTOS. You should be a reviewer.

Some have reported finding sonic improvements after 100-150 hours. YMMV.
RickyDeg likes this.

Regards,

John
CENTURY CITY AV
post #99 of 122 Old 08-19-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:

WOW Ricky, those are PRO QUALITY PHOTOS. You should be a reviewer.

Some have reported finding sonic improvements after 100-150 hours. YMMV.

Oy, thank you! That's kind praise! I've always loved writing reviews and taking photos - it's a bit of a passion.
I'll be putting together a thorough personal review that I'll be posting on various forums. NuForce have gotten me pretty excited.

Seems I'm talking to you on two forums now, haha smile.gif

Though I'd prefered if a black unit had been available for me the MCH-300SEC7 is pretty.

RickyDeg

SAMSUNG LE-52B755 (tv)

post #100 of 122 Old 08-22-2013, 09:34 AM

NuForce support were kind enough to send me the latest firmware (1.52.02.45) for the AVP-18 yesterday and a software program needed for installation on your PC to make transfer to the AVP-18 possible. The support person (who was promt and professional) claimed I need to use a standard USB A - USB A cable and connect to the standard USB port on the back of the unit (the one marked 'B' in fact, for Bluetooth, I reckon?). I was a bit confused by this since I was under the impression that input is strickly for a future Bluetooth accessory. I've now attempted several times without success to install the new firmware - the software program keeps saying "USB error" no matter what I do.

I've been under the impression that the second USB B port (right next to the RS232) is the port we need to use for firmware updates. So in other words we would need another type of cable; USB A - USB B? I've contacted NuForce support yet again about the problem but until I hear back can anybody out there with knowledge clear this up once and for all? I'm sure other owners may like to know as well, especially as there is no info in the user manual. If anything, I hope they'll clear all this up on their website.

RickyDeg

SAMSUNG LE-52B755 (tv)

post #101 of 122 Old 08-22-2013, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

The USB port beside the RS-232 port is the correct one.

Try it and it should upgrade 4U.

Regards,

John
CENTURY CITY AV
post #102 of 122 Old 08-22-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:

The USB port beside the RS-232 port is the correct one.

Try it and it should upgrade 4U.

Ah, thanks so much John! smile.gif I figured! Will rush out and get the appropriate cable! Pity NuForce support informed me wrong on this one, but I forgive them, it happens tongue.gif

I now have about 130 hours of burn-in on the units and I still feel as though things are "missing" in the overall sound, even though it certainly is promising. So far the MCH-300SEC7 funny enough comes off less powerful and full-bodied than my 4 year old Denon receiver. I'm hoping that's still down to the burn-in not being complete (?) but I just don't know yet. In other areas the NuForce duo is superior (soundstage clarity, depth and detail).

RickyDeg

SAMSUNG LE-52B755 (tv)

post #103 of 122 Old 08-22-2013, 10:51 AM

Liked: 13
150+ hour Update

System: My AVP-18 connects to a BADA MK-100MKII amplifier powering Magnepan 1.7s using Morrow SP5 Speaker Cables. I am using both a computer server and a NetGear 9150 music server.

Over the period of the burn in process I have tried three Digital Coax cables ending up with a Wireworld Starlight 7 which was sonically pretty equal to a funny looking Mapleshade Clearview digital cable that was my second favorite. The biggest sonic boost came when I switched from some very inexpensive Morrow analogue cables to Xindak FS1 cables and finally settling on the Wireworld Equinox 7 RCA cables. The Wireworld Equinox 7 cables were a significant upgrade. I heard a dramatic improvement in lower level details with little or no break in in the cable. A terrific cable.

As a side note, it was a little spooky listening to the Wireworld cables which sounded MUCH louder than the Xindak or Morrow Cables at the same AVP-18 setting. Where I was playing music with an AVP-18 setting of around 60 with the previous cables, I am listening to the Wireworld cable at the AVP-18 setting of 50-52. I have never have heard that much loudness difference in cables.

I have played a wide assortment of music from early 70s rock, classical, Gregorian chant, opera, jazz and even environment music (thunderstorms, rain, streams, ocean, etc.). Across all the different venues, the AVP-18 sounds terrific. The AVP-18 provides a very relaxed presentation (after the break in and after the cable changes, it originally sounded a little flat with sibilance but I think an inexpensive digital cable may have been part of the problem). It provides a nice 3D image of the musicians in acoustic music and does not accentuate the harshness found on many poorly recorded disks.

In fact, I would say the AVP-18 makes even the most poorly recorded CDs sound at least good. Voices are realistic and lock into position. On some acoustic music it can sound startlingly realistic

I did watch a few movies with the AVP-18 with The Island being the most recent. Through Verizon FIOS box connected to the AVP-18 movies were amazingly realistic sounding. The city chase scene in the movie was amazingly dynamic and exciting with my 2.1 system. I would imagine a 5.1 or 7.1 system would be outstanding.

AVP-18 Firmware updates

After many attempts, I finally got the firmware program to work. The instructions were not good which caused the problem and the pop-up screen help at the end of the initial install was just wrong. If anyone needs clearer instructions, let me know.

Conclusion
The most important thing to me is that there is a natural flow to the music, reasonable space around the instruments and where you get a sense of real people playing instruments. The AVP-18 does this very very well. It sounds like music, not hifi. It is kind to poorly recorded CDs and excels with well recorded music including higher resolution files I have purchased from HDTracks. The AVP-18 is performing so well sonically, I just put up my Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 for sale on Audiogon along with my Silnote Poseidon XLR cables that are no longer needed.
post #104 of 122 Old 08-22-2013, 11:22 AM

Glad you are having such positive results in your situation now after break-in (and cable updates). I've yet to experience all these positive aspects you mention (on 130 hours of break-in so far). I've played mostly multichannel blu-ray content but it does indeed sound a tad flat with slight sibilance in places. I am using NuForce MCH-300SEC7 amplifier, which is brand new just like the AVP-18. Will continue to break-in and hear what happens. It does show great potential though and your feedback is much appreciated - so please keep sharing it!

I'm just about to get a suitable USB cable for my first firmware update... could you please provide those clear instructions that you mentioned? Would be excellent! smile.gif

RickyDeg

SAMSUNG LE-52B755 (tv)

post #105 of 122 Old 08-22-2013, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

I'll take the heat for the less than stellar instructions, since I sent the upgrade to some users without "company" instructions.

Not being a computer nerd, I tried to offer the correct steps.

Actually it is pretty simple, but some versions of Windows do not start the program with a standard Double Click on the EXE file.

So you have to "RIGHT CLICK" on the file and select "Run as Administrator" and it should be simple from there.

confused.gif

Regards,

John
CENTURY CITY AV
post #106 of 122 Old 08-22-2013, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyDeg View Post

Glad you are having such positive results in your situation now after break-in (and cable updates). I've yet to experience all these positive aspects you mention (on 130 hours of break-in so far). I've played mostly multichannel blu-ray content but it does indeed sound a tad flat with slight sibilance in places. I am using NuForce MCH-300SEC7 amplifier, which is brand new just like the AVP-18. Will continue to break-in and hear what happens. It does show great potential though and your feedback is much appreciated - so please keep sharing it!

I'm just about to get a suitable USB cable for my first firmware update... could you please provide those clear instructions that you mentioned? Would be excellent! smile.gif

Hi Ricky,

It should start sounding broken in soon. However do know that many lower performance amps will sound like they have more "body" because they homogenize the sound into a sonic soup. The more detail, depth, and such the less of this soup sound will be heard.

That said you should certainly have "realistic" body, and sometimes this will improve via adjusting the Sub XO setting upward slightly. Try a few different sub XO settings and see if that is helpful.

Regards,

John
CENTURY CITY AV
post #107 of 122 Old 08-22-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwils View Post

150+ hour Update

Over the period of the burn in process I have tried three Digital Coax cables ending up with a Wireworld Starlight 7 which was sonically pretty equal to a funny looking Mapleshade Clearview digital cable that was my second favorite. The biggest sonic boost came when I switched from some very inexpensive Morrow analogue cables to Xindak FS1 cables and finally settling on the Wireworld Equinox 7 RCA cables. The Wireworld Equinox 7 cables were a significant upgrade. I heard a dramatic improvement in lower level details with little or no break in in the cable. A terrific cable.

As a side note, it was a little spooky listening to the Wireworld cables which sounded MUCH louder than the Xindak or Morrow Cables at the same AVP-18 setting. Where I was playing music with an AVP-18 setting of around 60 with the previous cables, I am listening to the Wireworld cable at the AVP-18 setting of 50-52. I have never have heard that much loudness difference in cables.

Ronwils,

Do you mean that wireworld cable has a gain of about 8-10bd?????eek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gif
post #108 of 122 Old 08-22-2013, 12:11 PM

Thank you for our input John, greatly appreciated. I will keep experimenting and tomorrow do my first firmware update.

It's an interesting aspect you mention about lesser amps... a messy soup? Certainly the clarity and detail of my NuForce combo so far is beyond my old Denon receiver, plus I no longer have to reply on artificial enhancements (Audyssey/Dynamic EQ). I shall observe closely the last few days of break-in (up til the 200 hour mark) with high anticipation.

RickyDeg

SAMSUNG LE-52B755 (tv)

post #109 of 122 Old 08-22-2013, 01:47 PM

RickyDeg: Here are the instructions that worked for me:
  1. Connect the USB to the AVP-18 and Computer. Turn both on.
  2. Save the files to a folder on your PC. The EX_ needs a file-name change to EXE.
  3. Double click on this EXE file. This creates an item in your START menu called Nuforce AVP Upgrade (for Windows 8 you can click on a non-icon portion of the Win8 screen and type in Nuforce AVP Upgrade to find the program).
  4. It is this second program that called "Nuforce AVP Upgrade" that you need to right click and Install as Administrator. As mentioned above, you will find it on the START menu for all but Win8 PCs.
  5. When it opens, you need to locate the second downloaded file: AVP-18_v1_520245_20130802 ENG.UPG and select it.
  6. Make sure all items are selected (there are DSP updates and AVP updates) then click on the start button in the program (not the Windows START button)
  7. You should see successful after each item is installed
  8. The AVP will have an UPGRADE notice on the screen. Let the program run its course. The AVP will shut down and restart.
  9. You should see on the AVP screen UPGRADE Complete.

Please be aware that all of my comments on the sound quality was with the original factory settings prior to the installation of the firmware upgrade. I am sorry that you are not enjoying the unit's sound as much as I am. I have found that every change, however small, makes a difference in the sound quality. I did not mention that I changed the power cable to a Xindak PC-01 and I placed three Xindak Isolation pucks under the unit. Both of these additions made a big difference in spaciousness and reducing sibilance.

I would think the HDMI cable from your Blu Ray disk to the AVP would be a critical connection and would warrant a decent cable. Other than that, I can tell you the very inexpensive Netgear EVA9150 music server is absolutely fantastic and plays almost all formats (WMV, FLAC & others). You can find it on Amazon for all of $169. I store over 350 CDs and high res files on this unit and it sounds amazing with Coax and Toslink connections. I run an HDMI cable to the AVP-18 along with the WireWorld Starlight 7 coax cable. The AVP allows you to have video on one link and audio on another link.

asangamnerkar: Difference in Cable Loudness I wouldn't believe it if it wasn't happening to me but there is a significant difference in loudness between the WireWorld Eclipse 7 and the previous analog cables. As I mentioned I estimate that I am turning down the volume from 60 to about 50-52. If I have some time, I will try to reinsert the Xindak Cables to get a more exact comparison, however, it is certainly greater than 5 and probably less than 10. The WireWorld Eclipse 7 cable was really nice surprise with increased clarity, a balanced sound and reasonable priced.
post #110 of 122 Old 08-22-2013, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

2. Save the files to a folder on your PC. The EX_ needs a file-name change to EXE.
  3. Double click on this EXE file. This creates an item in your START menu called Nuforce AVP Upgrade (for Windows 8 you can click on a non-icon portion of the Win8 screen and type in Nuforce AVP Upgrade to find the program).
  4. It is this second program that called "Nuforce AVP Upgrade" that you need to right click and Install as Administrator. As mentioned above, you will find it on the START menu for all but Win8 PCs.
  5. When it opens, you need to locate the second downloaded file: AVP-18_v1_520245_20130802 ENG.UPG and select it.
  6. Make sure all items are selected (there are DSP updates and AVP updates) then click on the start button in the program (not the Windows START button)
  8. The AVP will have an UPGRADE notice on the screen. Let the program run its course. The AVP will shut down and restart.

Ron,

Thanks for organizing all those instructions so nicely. Not everyone will have to right click to run as administrator. It seems only certain computers or Windows versions cause the "run file 75 error".

Some will only need double click like opening a normal program and it will work.

Thanks again.

Regards,

John
CENTURY CITY AV
post #111 of 122 Old 08-22-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:

Please be aware that all of my comments on the sound quality was with the original factory settings prior to the installation of the firmware upgrade. I am sorry that you are not enjoying the unit's sound as much as I am. I have found that every change, however small, makes a difference in the sound quality. I did not mention that I changed the power cable to a Xindak PC-01 and I placed three Xindak Isolation pucks under the unit. Both of these additions made a big difference in spaciousness and reducing sibilance.

I would think the HDMI cable from your Blu Ray disk to the AVP would be a critical connection and would warrant a decent cable. Other than that, I can tell you the very inexpensive Netgear EVA9150 music server is absolutely fantastic and plays almost all formats (WMV, FLAC & others). You can find it on Amazon for all of $169. I store over 350 CDs and high res files on this unit and it sounds amazing with Coax and Toslink connections. I run an HDMI cable to the AVP-18 along with the WireWorld Starlight 7 coax cable. The AVP allows you to have video on one link and audio on another link.

asangamnerkar: Difference in Cable Loudness I wouldn't believe it if it wasn't happening to me but there is a significant difference in loudness between the WireWorld Eclipse 7 and the previous analog cables. As I mentioned I estimate that I am turning down the volume from 60 to about 50-52. If I have some time, I will try to reinsert the Xindak Cables to get a more exact comparison, however, it is certainly greater than 5 and probably less than 10. The WireWorld Eclipse 7 cable was really nice surprise with increased clarity, a balanced sound and reasonable priced.

Thank you!!! Do you know specifically what had changed between firmware 1.52.02.41 and this new 1.52.02.45?

I shall look over my cables, as I am currently using high quality Supra, which isn't high end but very high value.

RickyDeg

SAMSUNG LE-52B755 (tv)

post #112 of 122 Old 08-27-2013, 08:11 AM

Still Having EQ Problems
Don't know what changes were made in the firmware updates. I am still having problems trying to get the EQ settings, other than the AutoEQ, to work. I was hoping to have one EQ for Classical and acoustic music and one for Rock or contemporary music (where I find I have to turn down the bass). I will go to one of the EQ settings, for example EQ1, and change the bass level. I save the settings and then go to switch between the settings Auto EQ, EQ1, etc. No difference in sound.

Cable Update
With the tremendous improvement brought by the Wireworld cables, I just switched the power cable with a Wireworld Electra 7 power cable. What I have found with upgraded power cables is that they seem to make the music more relaxed and reduces sibilance. The Wireworld Electra 7 power cable seems to bring out a little more naturalness in the music than my former Xindak power cable. I have just a few hours listening my system with the Wireworld Electra 7 cable installed but already I am very impressed.

Sound Quality
I am now at the point where the music is very three dimensional and natural. I am shocked for around $1000 that this AV unit can sound so good. The differences in recording venues from one classical recording to the next are very easy to hear. Low level listening which initially sounded hooded and closed in is now every bit as good as the w4S DAC2 while the naturalness and music flow is better.

Whether it is the DAC or the AutoEQ, the AVP-18 brings out the warmth in my Magnepan 1.7s that I never experienced before. The Magnepans can sound tipped up and very lean with most systems. My previous Wyred 4 Sound STI-500, a Class D integrated amp, fell into this category but had terrific detail. The AVP-18 connected to the BADA amp, a Class A/AB amp, is at the other end of the spectrum. Warm and inviting but also with terrific detail.

Didn't finish my thoughts on the NETGEAR EVA9150
The point I was trying to make about the NETGEAR unit in my previous post is that since I am getting such a high level of sound quality from my system, RickyDeg may want to give it a try since the investment is so low (about $170 on Amazon). This way, he would know if it is his Blu Ray player that is the limiting factor in sound quality. I use the Wireworld Starlight 7 Coax for the audio, inexpensive Pangea HDMI cable for the video and inexpensive Pangea Power Cable that provides audio that is nothing short of first class sound.

Additional NETGEAR EVA9150 Information: This amazing music and video server comes with a 500Gig HD and you can also save DVDs and other videos on the hard drive. It sounds better than the computer music server that I also have attached to my system. It is also very convenient to use. I have an office in my basement and the audio system on the top floor. I copy ripped CDs or high res audio from my PC in my office to the NETGEAR music server two floors up via wireless.
post #113 of 122 Old 08-28-2013, 01:19 AM

Always great to get your feedback and experiences ronwils, so please keep em coming! smile.gif I'm a bit concerned with the latest firmware too (that I finally managed to install with the right USB-cable) and what it does to the EQ function. Before the firmware I ran the Auto EQ twice, each time with decent results. I have not been tinkering with manual EQ though, but when switching between the results of 'Flat' to 'Auto EQ' there was a big difference in sound, with the latter sounding the best. After the latest firmware I re-ran the Auto EQ calibration procedure. Now when I toggle between the same 'Flat' to 'Auto EQ' there is no difference in sound between them (!). Very odd. Seems like some kind of bug to me.

Glad you are experiencing a three dimensional sound that is natural, warm and inviting with music through your AVP-18. I'm not quite there yet. It's a bit anemic and stale in character, with some of that sibilance you've mentioned before. Not all too enjoyable. My AVP-18 is connected to the NuForce MCH-300SEC7 amp, Supra HDMI and EFF-ISl analogue cables with Monitor Audio Apex speakers. Film soundtracks feel more balanced. Thanks for the tip on the NETGEAR. My Naim UnitiServe is a high end music server with very good component quality, but it too (like the NuForce) is new and still needs to be broken in. How many hours total do you have on your AVP-18 to date? I am around 200 hours or so, so I'd like to think it should be fully broken-in by now and can't see many radical improvements happening (?) unless I were to switch speakers, cables etc... but that's not an option at the moment.

Don't get me wrong though - enjoying HD multichannel blu-ray movies is a treat. It's a very honest, transparent sound in an expansive bubble with bags of detail presented by the NuForce duo. Effects steering is impressive also. Perhaps a bit weak of that "explosive dynamics" claim in their marketing, at least in my case, and also a bit of warmth and body is lacking to my ears. But coming from a Denon receiver with Audyssey and Dynamic EQ that basically colored the sound with loudness I'm probably just not use to this 'clean' sound. Also, I live in an apartment building so I cannot turn volume up to reference level, which might be holding the NuForce back a bit?

I am going to compose a more thorough personal review of the two NuForce units once I'm over 400 hours of break in and have ran the Auto EQ again.

RickyDeg

SAMSUNG LE-52B755 (tv)

post #114 of 122 Old 09-11-2013, 04:01 AM

Finally posted my thorough personal review of the AVP-18 and the MCH-300SEC7.
Check it out HERE! smile.gif

RickyDeg

SAMSUNG LE-52B755 (tv)

post #115 of 122 Old 10-15-2013, 05:45 AM

Out of curiosity; is anyone using their AVP-18 in 'direct' mode (bypass) while watching bitstreamed multichannel Blu-ray? I'm doing it non-stop now and taken by the results!

The EQ, as good as it is, seemed to hold back the fidelity of the signal somewhat in my case. I didn't even think that was a possibility until I switched to 'direct' with minimal amount of processing. Transparency and soundstaging is sublime! My speakers now "breathe" in a way they didn't before. Feels like the dynamics of the system have enchanced. Everything good with EQ engaged became bettered in every sense in 'direct' mode. This is probbably the first time I've experienced this having relied on EQ for so many years. Denon and Onkyo receivers sounded downright awful without Audyssey EQ enganged. NuForce is the opposite in my set-up! And that's using the same speakers in the same room... curious!

RickyDeg

SAMSUNG LE-52B755 (tv)

post #116 of 122 Old 10-15-2013, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Interesting>. . . . . I will try it and report the next time I fire up the HT.

Regards,

John
CENTURY CITY AV
post #117 of 122 Old 03-07-2014, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Does the nuforce suffer from some of the same quirks as the emotiva? For example when using Direct does one lose all bass if one has ones mains set to small?

Or perhaps more important, is the headphone output 'post bass management'?

post #118 of 122 Old 03-08-2014, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

Does the nuforce suffer from some of the same quirks as the emotiva? For example when using Direct does one lose all bass if one has ones mains set to small?

Or perhaps more important, is the headphone output 'post bass management'?

Thankfully I haven't experienced ONE single quirk with my unit. It's been the most flawless and easy-to-use piece of processor I've ever owned honestly. Heard early reports of first units with slight problems but NuForce keep their firmware updates coming (at least so far). I run everything in unprocessed 'direct' mode with a sub/sat system and I don't lack any bass. This will still depend on the settings you make for your speakers etc, as it always does.

The AVP-18 doesn't have a headphone output.
bioforce likes this.

RickyDeg

SAMSUNG LE-52B755 (tv)

post #119 of 122 Old 03-08-2014, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyDeg View Post

Thankfully I haven't experienced ONE single quirk with my unit. It's been the most flawless and easy-to-use piece of processor I've ever owned honestly. Heard early reports of first units with slight problems but NuForce keep their firmware updates coming (at least so far). I run everything in unprocessed 'direct' mode with a sub/sat system and I don't lack any bass. This will still depend on the settings you make for your speakers etc, as it always does.

The AVP-18 doesn't have a headphone output.

Excellent to hear (no pun). I had a AVP-16 for a while and quite liked it. Funny that the spec sheet on the nuforce site lists a headphone output, but it's not likely I would use it, anyway.

I was asking those questions since it appears the same system on a chip is at use at the core of the NuForce and the Emotiva pre-pro... and with the Emotiva, there have been some off features and bugs, which I feared were based on the chip provider and might be common to all brands sharing the same "brain".

I guess some things are the same, like:
- No parametric EQ for back surrounds
- Only 3 parametric EQs for the subwoofer channel vs. 11 for all other channels (except back surrounds)
- Distance settings allow only for 0.3ft (10cm) steps
- No upload of EQ settings, EQ has to be set with remote
- No network connectivity or IP control
- After startup volume ramps up to last used setting
- Manual test tones are post EQ (should be pre EQ) so you have to zero out the PEQ before setting levels

And some things are different, because the Emotiva suffers from:
- LFE crossover and slope are mislabeled as "Subwoofer"
- Enhanced bass option defaults to "on" although front speakers default to "small"
- "Direct" mode with x.0 channel digital input signal is post bass management and delay -> all channels are high pass filtered, low frequencies are lost
- "Direct" mode with x.1 digital input signal is post bass management and delay -> all processing active except EQ
- "All Stereo" with 2 channel digital or analog input signal is post bass management, delay and EQ -> processed L/R is sent to surrounds
- Multichannel LPCM 7.1 output mode is mislabeled as "All Stereo"
- Reset EQ values of a speaker aren't retained after restart

I ask because there are horrifying details of the Emotiva that one might suspect are not something any related unit could avoid:

post #120 of 122 Old 07-27-2014, 05:34 AM

Liked: 43
This is a wonderful product!

Anyone with an Oppo 105 and another source (turntable, cable, satellite, whatever) needs one of these.

I'd been thinking about trying to find a used McIntosh C45, McCormack MAP-1, or Switchman, or shelling out for Parasound P7, but now there's no need. I can finally retire our Sony TA-P9000ES.

How does it sound? Like it's not there. Utterly transparent. An unmangled pristine analog signal.

My system? Google for: Martin Logan 420 CLX Descent Stage Summit
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Marantz Av7005 Pre Processor
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page