Originally Posted by RickyDeg
Thankfully I haven't experienced ONE single quirk with my unit. It's been the most flawless and easy-to-use piece of processor I've ever owned honestly. Heard early reports of first units with slight problems but NuForce keep their firmware updates coming (at least so far). I run everything in unprocessed 'direct' mode with a sub/sat system and I don't lack any bass. This will still depend on the settings you make for your speakers etc, as it always does.
The AVP-18 doesn't have a headphone output.
Excellent to hear (no pun). I had a AVP-16 for a while and quite liked it. Funny that the spec sheet on the nuforce site lists a headphone output, but it's not likely I would use it, anyway.
I was asking those questions since it appears the same system on a chip is at use at the core of the NuForce and the Emotiva pre-pro... and with the Emotiva, there have been some off features and bugs, which I feared were based on the chip provider and might be common to all brands sharing the same "brain".
I guess some things are the same, like:
- No parametric EQ for back surrounds
- Only 3 parametric EQs for the subwoofer channel vs. 11 for all other channels (except back surrounds)
- Distance settings allow only for 0.3ft (10cm) steps
- No upload of EQ settings, EQ has to be set with remote
- No network connectivity or IP control
- After startup volume ramps up to last used setting
- Manual test tones are post EQ (should be pre EQ) so you have to zero out the PEQ before setting levels
And some things are different, because the Emotiva suffers from:
- LFE crossover and slope are mislabeled as "Subwoofer"
- Enhanced bass option defaults to "on" although front speakers default to "small"
- "Direct" mode with x.0 channel digital input signal is post bass management and delay -> all channels are high pass filtered, low frequencies are lost
- "Direct" mode with x.1 digital input signal is post bass management and delay -> all processing active except EQ
- "All Stereo" with 2 channel digital or analog input signal is post bass management, delay and EQ -> processed L/R is sent to surrounds
- Multichannel LPCM 7.1 output mode is mislabeled as "All Stereo"
- Reset EQ values of a speaker aren't retained after restart
I ask because there are horrifying details of the Emotiva that one might suspect are not something any related unit could avoid: